PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltipZfluLx8

This guy is very negative about PES 2017.

He claims he likes a challenge, but doesn't play on manual. Scoring goals "with ease" on Top Player, but again, doesn't play on manual. Right.

"80% possession"

Yeah, of course you're going to have that much possession with the easiest control settings. I have nothing against people who use assisted controls, be my guest. I just loathe people who act like they're fantastic at football games, but use the easiest settings.

Nah thats just a bunch of nonsense. Blind fold yourself and be my guest then if manual gets easy after a while... :P

And my bitching keeps coming.
On assisted passing,what's the "right" level has to be very subjective?
Meaning,what's right for you,might not be right for 75 000 others and the other way around.
So how should/could Konami make that perfect?
Just because you think it's overpowerd,some might not?
Just like the shooting,I think that's quite good in 17, and some don't

Passing levels were just right in PES 2015. Try it for yourself. Ever since its broken.

And i think shooting is like flipping a coin, i dont understand how could be a backward shot more powerful than a running up shot...i mean wtf

One thing worth adding is that on top player i dont feel threatened by by the AI at all. They dont seem to have enough of the ball in my half to create any chances. So although i am struggling to score i dont feel like im going to concede too many. I'd better try superstar i guess.

I also want to try PA0 because im in agreement PA1 is too assisted. Thankfully though basic shooting is perfect this year with a lot of variation and large error margin so i wont hace to switch to manual just yet

I'm not in front of the game right now, but Im' sure in my livestream archive it can be found somewhere :) .

My approach with the settings/tactics, etc. is that it is great they exist. I do not think that they are the #1 controller of the attack/defense level. This may make it more clear, if you didn't have the sound on...

Best case scenario, with proper transitioning:

Team1 attacking, Attack level = 4 (1-5 scale)
Team1 dispossessed, Defense level = 3 (1-5 scale)
Team1 defends in defensive third to 18-yardbox, Defense Level = 2 (1-5 scale)

What happens in PES, and needs to be fixed.

Team1 attacking, Attack Level = 4 (1-5 scale)
Team1 dispossessed, Defense level = 2 (1-5 scale)

*As you can see, they jump straight from Level 4 to Level 2, bypassing Level 3. That results in the ultra-retreating and ultra charge. This makes it more end to end, and makes the CPU offense passive when they've lost possession, or even a 50/50 ball occurs.
Oh I don't disagree, I get that the problem is in the execution. They should at least keep the pressure up in the opposition third, with any players immediately near the ball keeping aggressive while other players regroup were appropriate.

What I'm trying to understand is what the actual defence level is that Arsenal were switching to in that situation. While the general binary switch from attack to defence will happen for all teams, it will inevitably be more pronounced in teams where the defensive setup is more conservative. Are Arsenal one of those sides, and if not, will it be even worse with Atletico Madrid et al, or is it about the same?

Nah thats just a bunch of nonsense. Blind fold yourself and be my guest then if manual gets easy after a while... :P

Passing levels were just right in PES 2015. Try it for yourself. Ever since its broken.

And i think shooting is like flipping a coin, i dont understand how could be a backward shot more powerful than a running up shot...i mean wtf
Since we have 10-100-1000-10 000 different opinions on that,what's the right level?
Your?
That's what I'm after,it's subjective.
Right?
Would be pretty stupid blind folding myself playing,right? :)

Since we have 10-100-1000-10 000 different opinions on that,what's the right level?
Your?
That's what I'm after,it's subjective.
Right?
Would be pretty stupid blind folding myself playing,right? :)

Its just the fact that there is no such difference between passing support levels in the game like how they are described.

As for this manual reasoning, why all the manual players try to force people who love stat based PES wich became heavily assisted?

Couple questions for those who have played the demo and are familiar with the classic we/pes games...

does 17 have the shooting mechanic of the classic we/pes games? Where up and down control trajectory & left and right control curve direction of a shot?

Is there a defensive stance button?

Is it possible to turn off free kick guides off at a game setting level? I remember in 16 on pc, you would have to turn them off every match..

He says the game doesn't feel responsive and it feels more stiff. LOL. I didn't play the game yet but that's a load of crap. He clearly doesn't know how to play or familiar with PES controls.

Yeah the guy talks crap IMO. But I love that the AI went for the volley there. Haha! while he was talking crap over it I enjoyed that gameplay moment.

Its just the fact that there is no such difference between passing support levels in the game like how they are described.

As for this manual reasoning, why all the manual players try to force people who love stat based PES wich became heavily assisted?
Not my agenda forcing anyone,just stating how hard it is to please assisted players with the right level.
That's it.
Each one to its own.
I prefer manual,for the challenge,for the freedom,and it feels more sim.
But that's me.
Get annoyed though if people demand sim,and still use very assisted gameplay,that doesn't make sense to me.
But like I said,each to their own
And a perfect stat based game?
Yes would be nice

Last edited:

My point is complaining that you have too much possession (and that keeping the ball is too easy) when you're using a passing system that's literally fool-proof is a bit rich.

He says the game doesn't feel responsive and it feels more stiff. LOL. I didn't play the game yet but that's a load of crap. He clearly doesn't know how to play or familiar with PES controls.

Which is irrelevant because the passing assistance is the way it is. They clearly haven't changed it so we have to deal with the hand we're dealt. In an ideal world I totally agree. Unfortunately, that's not the case and the assisted controls are over the top.

Oh I don't disagree, I get that the problem is in the execution. They should at least keep the pressure up in the opposition third, with any players immediately near the ball keeping aggressive while other players regroup were appropriate.

What I'm trying to understand is what the actual defence level is that Arsenal were switching to in that situation. While the general binary switch from attack to defence will happen for all teams, it will inevitably be more pronounced in teams where the defensive setup is more conservative. Are Arsenal one of those sides, and if not, will it be even worse with Atletico Madrid et al, or is it about the same?

I'll have a look through my livestreams from today and yesterday. Spent a lot of time in the team tactics as I was trying to get the CPU's tactics adjusted, and hoping they'd stick - which they didn't.

If you're bored, here are the livestreams, and I will be going again later tonight CST.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4259el8CR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMjUH4srgoY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMSoblIzuyw

:WORSHIP:

I'm so in agreement over all of that.

This is why I was asking if anyone was enjoying the default speed (before I played the demo), because I felt like I was losing responsiveness on 2016 when reducing the speed, as well as adding in lots of slow-mo effect during gameplay when some of the animations were slow-mo to begin with (certain goalkeeper dives, for example).

I've been playing the 2017 demo exclusively on the default speed, other than one game I tried on -1 to see if it improved the experience for me, and it didn't. Truly, for the first time in years, this is a game I can enjoy on the default speed against the AI. It's realistically fast, I think - and the physics are spot-on too in terms of ball speed.

For those who think default is too fast - playing on Top Player instead of Superstar reduces the constant AI closing-down (which is a little bit of a nagging worry at the moment, but I think it's opponent-related), and that makes the gameplay less hectic. Of course, that might also make it too easy for you, but not for me, I don't think...

But also, totally agree about manual. If you enjoy playing that way then fair enough, and I'd hate to see them take options away, but for me, I'd rather have semi-assisted everything. It allows better attribute involvement*, and keeps the game from turning into a Flight Simulator-style affair of too much training for a game I get an hour a night to play.

*If I 100% nail the path of a pass or a shot, then let's see it, but if I'm 5% off with a great player, make it go 5% off. With a poor player, make it go 20% off.

i'm playing 0 too -1 seems sluggish to me.

Yes, Please don't screw up this magic!

& I actually like the new arrow and stat colours even though im so used to the old ones.

Red is a negative colour, so a red arrow down should represent a bad form. Red stat numbers represent bad stats.
Green/blue represents positivity. Good form and good stats.

I always saw Red as someone being ''on fire'' with form though. But I like the logic of these colours right now as they seem easy to understand for everyone. Lots of not hardcore players can see orange/red as something NOT so good.
That's because the previous colour scheme made more sense when they used emojis/faces a long time ago.

I agree the new one is better for arrows.

So after playing a while I have to say I like it.

They changed some aspects of the game I didn't like before. There are fouls, shooting seems to be not as overpowered as before ect.

But to be honest, it feels like this would have been able in PES 2016 with a simple gameplay patch.

Where is the work of 1 year?

A question to players who feel the shooting is to "overpowerd"
What game speed are you on?
Since I don't find it the same as you,it's not critism,just a question.
I'm on -1 btw.
I got a bit confused reading that some found it that way last night,I played a ton of games,and right after I watched the latest "Football league show" and seeing the screamers there,especially between Derby and Villa,didn't really unstarstand the critisism.
But then again,I'm on -1
If it's overpowerd on reg,haven't tried it,but if,guess it's valid then

juhu00[2];3159866 said:
So after playing a while I have to say I like it.

They changed some aspects of the game I didn't like before. There are fouls, shooting seems to be not as overpowered as before ect.

But to be honest, it feels like this would have been able in PES 2016 with a simple gameplay patch.

Where is the work of 1 year?

Jeepers if you played PES 2016 alot it should be pretty obvious within seconds.

A question to players who feel the shooting is to "overpowerd"
What game speed are you on?
Since I don't find it the same as you,it's not critism,just a question.
I'm on -1 btw.
I got a bit confused reading that some found it that way last night,I played a ton of games,and right after I watched the latest "Football league show" and seeing the screamers there,especially between Derby and Villa,didn't really unstarstand the critisism.
But then again,I'm on -1
If it's overpowerd on reg,haven't tried it,but if,guess it's valid then

Hi rock, i'm playing on -1 and I find shooting slightly over powered. It's not as bad as 2016 though. I know some players should have hard shots but not all. I remember in PES5 and more recently PES2013 I would check what players were right footed and left footed so that I knew what foot to shoot with. And in PES5 checking what players had *Middle Shooting skill. Players like Lampard and Gerrad I would love setting them up because it ment they would normally get a good hard shot away. FIFA is good for that. But I feel in this that I can have a good hard shot with all the players.

It's not a game breaker for me though. What I am worried about is that I'm finding Top Player too easy. I am dispossessing the CPU too easily. I went up to Super Star and it's ok but I am worried that in ML the CPU scripting will take effect like it did in 2016.

I am flirting between PS4 and PS3 version at the moment. I'm finding PS3 very good. I actually started a league with the 9 teams. And I take it in turn to be different teams (depending on the roll of a dice). First game was River Plate (me) v Corinthians. Luca missed a penalty for Corinthians in the 82 minute and it finished 0-0. Not a bad game on Super Star. No scripti and I hope it stays that way in ML.

Did anbody else notice a little bit of catch up when a forward breaks clear? Have to say I hated this demo for about 5 matches . .reminded me of Pes 2015 but it's grown on me the more I play it . .it's really hard to score when playing manual . .I kept switching between Superstar and Top player but gonna stick with top until I improve.. .I love the curl on the ball when crossing . .I've had plenty of fouls by the A.i and keepers are vastly improved . .I think being skilled at dribbling and feinting could play a big part in the outcome of games.

Hi rock, i'm playing on -1 and I find shooting slightly over powered. It's not as bad as 2016 though. I know some players should have hard shots but not all. I remember in PES5 and more recently PES2013 I would check what players were right footed and left footed so that I knew what foot to shoot with. And in PES5 checking what players had *Middle Shooting skill. Players like Lampard and Gerrad I would love setting them up because it ment they would normally get a good hard shot away. FIFA is good for that. But I feel in this that I can have a good hard shot with all the players.

It's not a game breaker for me though. What I am worried about is that I'm finding Top Player too easy. I am dispossessing the CPU too easily. I went up to Super Star and it's ok but I am worried that in ML the CPU scripting will take effect like it did in 2016.

I am flirting between PS4 and PS3 version at the moment. I'm finding PS3 very good. I actually started a league with the 9 teams. And I take it in turn to be different teams (depending on the roll of a dice). First game was River Plate (me) v Corinthians. Luca missed a penalty for Corinthians in the 82 minute and it finished 0-0. Not a bad game on Super Star. No scripti and I hope it stays that way in ML.
Could be me feeling it being "perfect", and your spot on comparing it to 16, Gee.
Yeah could be an issue with El Scripto in ML,hope not,had my fair share of that I think.
Haven't played all day,might DL for PS3 aswell,it's free on the psn store right?
Sound retarded,sorry,but I mainly play xb1

Did anbody else notice a little bit of catch up when a forward breaks clear? Have to say I hated this demo for about 5 matches . .reminded me of Pes 2015 but it's grown on me the more I play it . .it's really hard to score when playing manual . .I kept switching between Superstar and Top player but gonna stick with top until I improve.. .I love the curl on the ball when crossing . .I've had plenty of fouls by the A.i and keepers are vastly improved . .I think being skilled at dribbling and feinting could play a big part in the outcome of games.
Yes glad you liked it,even if it took a while.
Does this mean we're on for at least a few 100 pages of ML stories then mate?
I'm gonna give it a go tday again
Don't think I played the 15 demo nor the 16 on release

Last edited:
Yeah, after a couple of hours playing on default speed and then moving to -1 I definitely prefer the lower speed setting. I actually kind of hated the game earlier when playing at default speed, but I remember feeling similar with previous entries and finding my way back to that setting eventually.

Also playing using an edited pitchside camera, so Zoom 3, Height 3 and Angle 4 currently.

Going try some games as the away team before bed. Sometimes feel that ramps up the challenge a tad.

Still largely hopeless at dribbling and first touch: is there unique/new mechanics for mastering first touch?

My eyes fell out with me earlier when I played the Camp Nou at daytime too.

Yes glad you liked it,even if it took a while.
Does this mean we're on for at least a few 100 pages of ML stories then mate?
I'm gonna give it a go tday again

Looks like a full year for me on Master league 2017. I switched back to ML 2016 after the demo and it plays at a sedentary pace compared to the demo with very little a.i pressure.

Looks like a full year for me on Master league 2017. I switched back to ML 2016 after the demo and it plays at a sedentary pace compared to the demo with very little a.i pressure.
Yeah,tried it last night after demo,feels a bit off.
But count me in for 17.
Glad you enjoyed it,hope it stays this way,with a few good tweaks.

I've also been pleasantly surprised by this demo. I remain sceptical that refs really are 'fixed' now, having seen little evidence of it in my own games (I'm still going entire matches on Superstar and Top Player without a single free kick; most end with 1 or 2 free kicks), but the general gameplay feels deeply satisfying in ways that PES hasn't for a while.

The demo has done its intended job with me and I'm gagging for the game now.

Last edited:
He claims he likes a challenge, but doesn't play on manual. Scoring goals "with ease" on Top Player, but again, doesn't play on manual. Right.

"80% possession"

Yeah, of course you're going to have that much possession with the easiest control settings. I have nothing against people who use assisted controls, be my guest. I just loathe people who act like they're fantastic at football games, but use the easiest settings.

I wish i could play on manual. But i'm a d-pad guy. I just can't. Any advice?

This game looks so good upscaled on my 65 inch sony 4K tv. Colors look so vibrant. Gameplay itself is brilliant! Rushed home from work to get my hands on it again.

Just had a game Barca(me)vs River (I think)
-1 superstar manual pass,and also tried advanced shooting
Game played daytime in the rain.
And o'boy the passing was tricky,you'd have to use various power for the same distance the whole game,due to water on the pitch,beutiful and very tough.
Here's a few reflections.
*Ball physics,so good.
*Shooting,spot on for me
And call me silly but the touch Suarez had before shooting,so beutiful.
Have a look,a short clip of the shot,two camera views
https://youtu.be/UKZVYeczlms

I've also been pleasantly surprised by this demo. I remain sceptical that refs really are 'fixed' now, having seen little evidence of it in my own games (I'm still going entire matches on Superstar and Top Player without a single free kick; most end with 1 or 2 free kicks), but the general gameplay feels deeply satisfying in ways that PES hasn't for a while.

The demo has done its intended job with me and I'm gagging for the game now.

i think it should be tested on all difficulties because i'm seeing plenty of fouls and cards on professional. Maybe game speed effects it, i'm playing 0 speed.

Back
Top Bottom