PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I have not tried advanced shooting yet. Can you or someone confirm if its impossible to miss the goal when using advanced shooting?

I think last year ( or is it 2015)had the same problem where you cant miss the goal even filling up the strength bar you would always hit the bar. Is that the same again?

I cannot try it right now as i´m at work

Always hitting it wide or over, my only goal so far has been a header. It's much better now IMO

So pa oft is still assisted?! Hm... Have to test this out. Comparing L2 and pa0!
So setting any pa (even the highest) doesn't matter if I press L2 all the time?!

I don't like pressing L2 for every pass. I want it to be manual all the time without pressing an extra button.

You can play on highest pass assistance and if you pass every time with L2 it's totally manual, sure. L2 overrides everything else.

you can feel the pass assistance on no pass support (in PES 2016) if you play with a great team and then instantly switch to a poor one. You will suddenly be making totally shit passes you were nailing before.

That said, I will give one level 1 passing assistance a decent go at some point, but if it's anything like 2016, no way I'm using that.

Just played my first 2 games on PS4, Top Player, Manual Shooting, Passing Level 1. Game speed -1.

First impressions is that it is a lot better than 2016. I played against Barcelona and the first thing I noticed was how much pressing they do which is good. And if they press too much they foul you.

Yes the fouls are back! Please please please keep them Konami! It's great being able to hold the ball up and draw a foul on the edge of the box. Or to be defending but win a foul because the CPU is pressing too much. I had one where the ref pulled the game back to book somebody too.

I am enjoying the way the CPU attacks, it is quite random. In one game, I wish I recorded it. Suarez was running through on goal on the left edge of the box. I brought Cech out. I was waiting for Saurez to do the usual lob over the keeper but no he tried to bend it around the keeper but it hit the side netting. I felt his frustration as he sank to his knees. Never seen that in a one on one before against the CPU.

Also I conceded this penalty against Barcelona...
Is it me or is Neymar play acting to win the penalty?

https://youtu.be/TQsRc9TrK3Y

The only tiny little gripes at the moment are the stumbling animation that has been mentioned before. Ozil went through 3 different challenges with the same animation and managed to score. I thought the third one should have knocked him off balance as they were all in quick succession.

The other thing is the still slightly over powered shooting. I feel that I can get a good powerful shot away with any player. But it is still better than 2016.

Also I like that they have brought back Attack/Defence settings in game. One of my favourite features from classic PES. Has anybody used the Advanced tactics yet? That looks quite interesting, I think "hug the touch line" is one of them. I want to hug Konami now. Please don't adjust the game on release. :))

What's promising about other people's comments (i've played the game but it's always good to see what other people think) is that for the first time in years it's being mentioned in the same breath as the games from PS2 era.

The previous few version all had fairly decent feedback on here, but hardly anyone was comparing them to the best games in the series.

I've played all the games in the series since ISS PRO 98 (both japanese and european versions) and almost any football game since Match day on Spectrum.

PES 2017 demo is the best football game ever. I think it's time to forget the PS2 era. You can play PES 6, WE 7, WE 8, WE9 or WE9 liveware evolution, the best PS2 era games and then play this demo. This demo is the best representation of the beautiful game. All matches are different.

Konami please don't ruin it in the final version.

he probably just got struck on the face. I love that that's in though, Muller got a yellow for elbowing Payet in the face in my France - Germany match.

yep.. like most of you, ive also made the switch back from -1 to default.. more enjoyable experience.

And just a quick comment I made earlier about being able to do a diagonal run with a CB all the way past defenders (not being pressured by ai defence) and having a clear shot at goal at the other end. I did this last night vs flamengo.. about 50% of the time you could do it. Just tried again with Barca vs Madrid... no way in hell I can do it.. Madrid's defence haggle on me like a rash before I can even make it to half way line.. That's a positive Jimi ;)

Yeah mate, Iv noticed that too, but needs a lot of focus this time to do that and am happy to play it out then run with it with this years game, they have done well, yeah the better sides you don't stand a chance which is how it should be.

Yeah your'e right, got it wrong. ;) I meant L1 + circle. :)

But I do think that is "broken" or it might be super- assisted. I love to play a cross from one side to the other but with PA 1the player only try to find someone up front regardless if I try to pass it back to the keeper. Works fine with manual passing though.

Oh ok..

But sry for my stupidity...what does L1 + circle (high pass) do?
I only use L1 + X for a double pass, but never used L1 + circle?

The stumbling animation is not a problem as you see it happening in real football. Before it was the tripping animation that got on peoples nerves i think it adds to the game.

Oh ok..

But sry for my stupidity...what does L1 + circle (high pass) do?
I only use L1 + X for a double pass, but never used L1 + circle?

It's for early crosses. If you for example want to play a early, high ball from a left back to the attacker u use L1 + circle. I sometimes use this to switch sides, from right back to left back or something like that, but when u try this now (on PA 1) it always goes upwards, towards the attackers.

It's for early crosses. If you for example want to play a early, high ball from a left back to the attacker u use L1 + circle. I sometimes use this to switch sides, from right back to left back or something like that, but when u try this now (on PA 1) it always goes upwards, towards the attackers.

Oh ok...thx...need to try that.
In all of my many many years of PES gaming I never used that :P

Trivial i know, but do players still fall if they're wrong footed well enough...that's like scoring a goal for me haha

Last edited:
and standard gamespeed -1

Surely thats the point of having the slider? So you can change it to -1 and not worry about the standard speed? Its the one area of the game I dont get why people complain, well not complain, maybe gripe over... as Konami give you 5 options... standard, +1 +2 -1 -2.

first game in, playing as corinthians vs france on top player difficulty, I am getting bullied all over the pitch with no space to breathe I LOVE IT!!!!!

Try manual passing, more rewarding and more and more people are playing this way online so it's not that hard to find opponents anymore.

Also, it's not truly manual on PES. 0 pass assistance is less free than semi assisted on FIFA imo.

Not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you're used to PES and its pass assistance.

he probably just got struck on the face. I love that that's in though, Muller got a yellow for elbowing Payet in the face in my France - Germany match.

Yeh he did get hit in the face. It's much better than them holding their leg all the time. Imagine if they get hit in the midrift ouch! :SHOCK:

Just played my first 2 games on PS3 now and I think the game play on that is pretty much the same. Obviously there will be some features missing in the main game compared to PS4.

Had a great game Corinthians (me) v Barcelona. It finished 1-1. We only had one shot in about the first 70 mins and we scored. Then we had another shot that went wide but after that shot Barcelona were hacking me down all over the pitch. It was as if they were getting frustrated because of my defence.

Really seeing some good moments in this game. Messi swung a ball in which missed everyone and there were bodies everywhere. Fantastic experiences at the moment.

I hope Konami read these posts. I know that demo's have had good reviews before but so far this is the best demo of PES that I have played. :BRMM:

I understand I'm a nobody on this forum. But I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here! Maybe people enjoy this despite it not being simulation? If you consider this game at all realistic, I strongly encourage you to try to pull things off your player "shouldn't" be able to. Try to play a difficult ball with a passer rating of 75 below. Take it with their wrong foot. Take it with their back to the target. Almost EVERY PASS, EVERY SHOT, EVERY CROSS is a freaking laser!!! What football are you guys watching that makes you feel this is an accurate representation of the game?

No thought or consideration is necessary to pull the trigger on a shot outside the box. In all likelihood, the keeper will parry leading to a shot from a few feet away, or you'll just score a worldy. Maybe it's because I'm playing against human opponents? But even against AI I have my Corinthians left winger (forget his name) whipping in crosses like David Beckham- and he has NO LEFT FOOT. This is not simulation guys. Be honest with what you're witnessing.

I understand I'm a nobody on this forum. But I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here! Maybe people enjoy this despite it not being simulation? If you consider this game at all realistic, I strongly encourage you to try to pull things off your player "shouldn't" be able to. Try to play a difficult ball with a passer rating of 75 below. Take it with their wrong foot. Take it with their back to the target. Almost EVERY PASS, EVERY SHOT, EVERY CROSS is a freaking laser!!! What football are you guys watching that makes you feel this is an accurate representation of the game?

No thought or consideration is necessary to pull the trigger on a shot outside the box. In all likelihood, the keeper will parry leading to a shot from a few feet away, or you'll just score a worldy. Maybe it's because I'm playing against human opponents? But even against AI I have my Corinthians left winger (forget his name) whipping in crosses like David Beckham- and he has NO LEFT FOOT. This is not simulation guys. Be honest with what you're witnessing.

what pass assistance?

I was running up the flank just before (no pass assistance) attempted a wrong foot cross while running, player fell on his ass and the pass probably hit a spectator behind the goal

Last edited:
-1...And I've heard the argument for manual, but I want stats/balance/foot preference to have a greater influence on where the ball goes. I don't want to rely on my own execution.

the lowest level of assistance IS MANUAL PASSING!!!!!!

For the love of Christ at least give it a proper try. And if you don't love Christ, try it regardless.

Last edited:
Initial thoughts after about 10 games

Good
  1. Goalkeepers are good.
  2. I'm getting fouled more (most I've been fouled is 7 times by Atletico)
  3. Already had quite a few 'wow, let me replay that!' moments.
  4. The default pace of the game seems pretty good
  5. Some nice animations at times

Bad
  1. Camera choice/customisation still not adequate imo. Dunno why they still flat out don't allow you to zoom in/out more or at all in some views.
  2. Sliding tackles are abit OTT in terms of how far the player slides imo.
  3. Default passing (level 1) seems too accurate/laser-guided overall
  4. Players still abit on rails in some situations, like say you're following an opponents crossfield ball to close down the receiver - after you switch control to a player you should automatically have full control over him after a couple of seconds, shouldn't really need to hold Left Trigger down
  5. Pens are still crappy

Last edited:

I'm not saying its simulation, im just enjoying the game.

If im honest ive spent years, since PES5, trying to find a decent footy game. Ive been looking at all the faults in all the games that have been released since then and i never found a decent one. But a few months ago i decided to let go of all that and just accept the games (FIFA and PES) for what they are. Since then i have been enjoying them both. PES 2017 as it is at the moment seems a vast improvement on 2016. Im hoping the new FIFA is better too. That way there will be two great footy games to play. Yes i know it has its faults but im just trying to let it go. ;)

Back
Top Bottom