PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

first impression after few games only on professional mode, shooting manual, pass assist level 1 and gamespeed -1:

very difficult and awesome gamemechanics

the first feel is awefull and that's good (oldscool pesboys know what i mean)

So far the things that bothers me with this game is passing and tackling. Passing is too accurate even in assist 1 and tackling is so freaking easy specially ground tackling, all you have to do is hold x and you will disposses the opponent most of the time, it makes the game look chaotic. Konami should copy Fifa's tactical defending imo.

Enjoyed the demo. Feels a lot more balanced compared to PES2016. It's also really great the defence/attack levels are back.

They went overboard with the motion blur during replays. I can see where they were going for as some replays look very real, but it's too much. I really hope they can tone it back or give us an option to disable it.

Also the default speed of the manual replay is WAY too fast.

+shooting is improved IMO, much more emphasis on balance and composure before a strike
+Ball physics have gone up a notch, it looks beautiful spinning through the air
+Refs definately improved, AI fouls are apparent
+Graphics are lovely, replays sometimes look like real football
+Keepers are miles better, they now have better reactions and more positional intelligence
+AI defensive shape is better, it's harder to break them down and therefore harder to score
+All of the above gives a real sense of reward when scoring, love the nets too, much better reaction when hit.
+ I can see better passing animations too, although still dated on some of the ground passes, but I can live with that.
+crowd looks and behaves better, love the pre-match clapping, looks like a live broadcast.

Over time I will no doubt unveil some negatives but this is miles better than 2016 for me.

Tempted to delete it from my PS4 already.

Because I think it's bad? No... because I think it's amazing and I know i'll play it to death before the game even releases.

I love everything about it. Feels instantly different from PES 2016 but keeps everything that was good about it at the same time. In fact, it feels like they took all the good bits from Fifa 16 and combined it with PES 2016.

Finding it really difficult to score (or even get a shot in) on Superstar (fully manual), which was my go to difficulty on 2016. One thing I seem to have noticed is that I can't use the special controls button while running to help skip past players. Has this been removed? I could understand why if so as it made the game a little easy in the past. I find it difficult to get past players otherwise though.

+shooting is improved IMO, much more emphasis on balance and composure before a strike
+Keepers are miles better, they now have better reactions and more positional intelligence
+AI defensive shape is better, it's harder to break them down and therefore harder to score
+All of the above gives a real sense of reward when scoring, love the nets too, much better reaction when hit.
+ I can see better passing animations too, although still dated on some of the ground passes, but I can live with that.
+crowd looks and behaves better, love the pre-match clapping, looks like a live broadcast.

Over time I will no doubt unveil some negatives but this is miles better than 2016 for me.

i agree with these positives

Tempted to delete it from my PS4 already.

Because I think it's bad? No... because I think it's amazing and I know i'll play it to death before the game even releases.

I love everything about it. Feels instantly different from PES 2016 but keeps everything that was good about it at the same time. In fact, it feels like they took all the good bits from Fifa 16 and combined it with PES 2016.

Finding it really difficult to score (or even get a shot in) on Superstar (fully manual), which was my go to difficulty on 2016. One thing I seem to have noticed is that I can't use the special controls button while running to help skip past players. Has this been removed? I could understand why if so as it made the game a little easy in the past. I find it difficult to get past players otherwise though.

I agree with this, I do not want to play it to death prior to the full release.

I'll have the odd few games here and there but playing on pass assist 1, top player and advanced pass/shoot is a joy.

gutted because i downloaded it from the US PSN store yesterday, when i finally got home at 10.30pm i couldn't play it because it said it couldnt connect to the server to get the license :(

redownloaded it this morning on the UK store, i should get an hour in before i have to leave to go on holiday for a week

I'm in work now. Please S T O P!!!:P

Played a 0-0 draw,tried to play the same the whole game,and also focused on my defending,which I feel is smooth,and see how their defence felt
First 0-0 game in ages.
Manual,-1
Watch out for the strike in the 65th
https://youtu.be/umY5z_pId50

That strike is superb!
Reminds me of old PES days!

PA 1 still too assisted, another year with manual passing online then.

Also, when playing with PA 1 L1 + square always goes forward, even though u aim for a totally different angle.

Otherwise the game seems nice

PA 1 and L1 + square?
Square is shooting isn´t it, so it´s a lobbed shot.
Or do you have another controller setting?

You lucky b......s! :P

I only could play one game yesterday. Played against my son.
Can´t say much so far...I enjoyed it, but I wasn´t excited.

But I do know that I need many more games to let it grow on me.
I realised many positive aspects, it felt fluid and smooth, fouls have been given, keepers are good etc.

I could imagine finally having fun playing an ML again with this.

Hopefully I´ll have more time today playing some games against the CPU.

Read all the last pages and I find all of your impressions interesting.

About player individuality:
Some say it´s better than ever, some say it´s not existent.

So I will test that out myself, specially shooting.
I don´t want someone with a low kicking power to be able shooting hard rockets and someone using his weak foot neither.

That one Messi goal from Dudu, dribbling through a few players and placing the ball in the left bottom corner is great!
And makes total sense as he´s a left footer.

About player individuality:
Some say it´s better than ever, some say it´s not existent.

So I will test that out myself, specially shooting.
I think it depends on the aspect you're looking at. I was passing to wingers (which is my go-to tactic in every football game ever, I can't help myself), and there was a guy on the right wing at one of the Brazilian teams who was substituted on for me (I was using auto-subs), and man. He couldn't run, for starters.

If I didn't wait for him to get in a position further up the field, I couldn't use him, but if I got him there, his crosses were a lot more dangerous, whereas previously, I was having to do ground passes to keep the flow going.

On the other side of the pitch, the opposition full-back was so pacey and good at hounding me that the winger I had just had to keep turning around and coming back on himself. (I don't think this was adaptive AI or anything, I just think their full-back was better than my winger.)

Having to change your strategy like that (even though it's a small example) shows there's definitely individuality, for me. Player and team individuality (which is why I don't think we're "allowed" to change formation etc.).

It's there - but not in every department. Passing accuracy DOES change with different players from what I can see, but not really enough. Shot accuracy-wise I've hit a couple of howlers (but not many), and power-wise, everyone is a Hulk.

My only real worry is that, once the FIFA 17 demo comes out, I'll fall into the trap of loving the pass accuracy variation (which it does without, contrary to popular belief, "turning Messi into a Sunday League player"), and this will feel way too perfect in comparison.

But the AI is so good and varied at the moment that I find it difficult to think I could prefer the other - not against the CPU at least (that's my other worry, that online play in PES will be laggy and full of exploiters again).

The balance feels so good and I feel cheated a lot less (hopefully the ML doesn't change that). The responsiveness and the flow is just beautiful.

Last edited:
Found a game breaking bug, wasnt intentional but tbh I can see alot of people going mad if this is in the full release.

Set the scene, Arsenal (Me) vs Barcelona, Top Player, Full Manual, 10 mins.

Its 0-0, 63 mins on the clock, tight game, Barca have the upperhand and Messi is getting in behind Kieran Gibbs too much for my liking. Then it happened...

Barcelona.... Barcelona, sub Lionel Messi for some lad called Sandro. Now I hate having to bring this up, but it happened.

So there we have it, Messi subbed. :D

Some license news, data extracted from xbox 360 demo, might not be included in the final version

2 Argentina Stadium thumbnail:
El Monumental (River Plate)
OFOAHhd.png

La Bombonera (Boca Junior)
MXfQrfW.png

League stadium adboard:
Brasileiro Serie A
3CX93l1.png

Last edited:
I think it depends on the aspect you're looking at. I was passing to wingers (which is my go-to tactic in every football game ever, I can't help myself), and there was a guy on the right wing at one of the Brazilian teams who was substituted on for me (I was using auto-subs), and man. He couldn't run, for starters.

If I didn't wait for him to get in a position further up the field, I couldn't use him, but if I got him there, his crosses were a lot more dangerous, whereas previously, I was having to do ground passes to keep the flow going.

Having to change your strategy like that (even though it's a small example) shows where the individuality is, for me. It's there - but not in every department. Passing accuracy DOES change from what I can see, but not enough, and shooting power has already come up. Accuracy-wise I've hit a couple of howlers (but not many), and power-wise, everyone is a Hulk.

My only real worry is that, once the FIFA 17 demo comes out, I'll fall into the trap of loving the pass accuracy variation (which it does without, contrary to popular belief, "turning Messi into a Sunday League player"), and this will feel way too perfect in comparison.

But the AI is so good and varied at the moment that I find it difficult to think I could prefer the other - not against the CPU at least (that's my other worry, that online play in PES will be laggy and full of exploiters again).

Yes, I do believe that player individuality is there to some aspect like you mentionend.

About shooting power...that´s disappointing.

I remember buying Edgar Davids in my ML of PES 2010 and unlike others he could shoot rockets with his left foot cause of his high kicking power.
But then he lost too many header duels cause of his height of 169cm.

Also in PES 2013 you had that standard player Myrheim with an overall rating of 61.
Well his stats sucked, but his kicking power was strong.

Again unlike others with him you could pull off nice rockets from the second row.

I really miss that.

The refs can be harsh on slide tackles even if you win the ball first, and then turn around and let body checks by the CPU go unpunished. Sometimes weak standing fouls get called and a yellow card, and other times harder standing tackles go unmarked. It's nice that CPU fouls are back, but more consistency by the ref would be appreciated.

Found a game breaking bug, wasnt intentional but tbh I can see alot of people going mad if this is in the full release.

Set the scene, Arsenal (Me) vs Barcelona, Top Player, Full Manual, 10 mins.

Its 0-0, 63 mins on the clock, tight game, Barca have the upperhand and Messi is getting in behind Kieran Gibbs too much for my liking. Then it happened...

Barcelona.... Barcelona, sub Lionel Messi for some lad called Sandro. Now I hate having to bring this up, but it happened.

So there we have it, Messi subbed. :D

uzNcf93.png

It's an exhibition match....they had to save Messi for an actual game....i hope...

but yea, the line-up mechanic and subs mechanic of the game ha always been flawed. They sometimes take the arrows and stamina as the biggest things when they sub....like playing a cup game in 2016, knock-out match, and sometimes Messi isn't starting and doesn't come on until its too late in the match....

I agree with this, I do not want to play it to death prior to the full release.

I'll have the odd few games here and there but playing on pass assist 1, top player and advanced pass/shoot is a joy.

I have not tried advanced shooting yet. Can you or someone confirm if its impossible to miss the goal when using advanced shooting?

I think last year ( or is it 2015)had the same problem where you cant miss the goal even filling up the strength bar you would always hit the bar. Is that the same again?

I cannot try it right now as i´m at work

Back
Top Bottom