PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I really want to like this game. I really do. For me this is seriously PES 2016,2. It feels no different. Well, this is just my initial thoughts. I will play some more games and I hope that it will grow on me.

AI still loves low shots inside the box, they are not as clinical and they do not always play to get that low shot, but they are still prominent

I really want to like this game. I really do. For me this is seriously PES 2016,2. It feels no different. Well, this is just my initial thoughts. I will play some more games and I hope that it will grow on me.

How much of 2016 have you played out of interest?

I'd imagine for someone who hasn't played much of 2016, or that played it ages ago, then 2017 could appear to be similar.

But going from 2017 to 2016 immediately after is eye opening for me personally. There's definitely a bigger difference between 2017 and 2016 than there was between 2015 and 2016.

Last edited:
final pass...

if you are after more goal variety or more rewarding feeling when shooting.. then why don't you play on manual shooting? there is nothing arcade like playing PES on -1 game speed super star and manual passs + manual shooting...

move it towards manual shooting made it more rewarding and challenging on 2016....

it same with FIFA.. full assisted and default sliders out of the box made the game very fast paced arcade like... that's why the developers have these options available. and if you are playing online in either game.. 90% of the users use fully assisted controls... but that doesn't mean you have to. You can challenge yourself and use full manual and still beat them if you try hard enough

Funnily enough I have just changed to full manual. Will give it a go. But what about online, is there an option to play against manual only players?

My gripe will still be the CPU in single player. I'd be struggling to score whilst they seem to dance around my defenders and slot away shots with ease. It wouldn't feel organic.

Just played my first match and omgoodness, I might have to rethink Fifa as my first purchase.

I'm about the biggest Barca fan you'll ever find (at least in the States) so this may add to my excitement, but mannnn. Did they ever nail the atmosphere, fan reactions, whitsles, player reactions and faces of this team.

Played against Atleti and here's my reactions...

-Held Atleti to 82% pass completion
-I had 75% possession
-They didn't have a single shot on 10 minute halfs but I did play on World Class, not Superstar
-Player movement, defensive setup, nearly everything was spot on. I drew three fouls from slide tackles, 2 cards. A coulple other advantages as well.
-I don't play on manual and still had a few errant passes in the correct situations, this was really cool to see

"First time poster,long time lurker"
Yeah...
Anyway,think the best thing is for people to play it themselves.
It's a big change from 16, I played a quick one direct after my 2nd demo game.
If you can't see or feel the difference,don't know how to response to that.
Second game Boca vs Corinthians.
I let CPU have more chances than me intentionally,did let them shoot 9 shots (4).
Th ones they missed were from open space but a bit from goal,missed by 1-5 m.
Got surprised when I got a red card,used to hacking down players on 16 with yellow as punishment.
I I to got hacked down 3-4 times,CPU two YK,had 6 freekicks.
Lost it 1-0 on a beauty,chested down to volley in the box,shot straight down to the pitch and bounced over GK.
Probably won't write any more in here,people need to make their own decisions.
To me,so much better than 16

Last edited:
Hi.anybody know the size of the demo on ps4..thanks

3.481GB download, installed size on hard drive 4.57GB

Anyway,think the best thing is for people to play it themselves.

Exactly. There's no reason not to try it, it's a free demo.

I certainly wouldn't let anyone's opinion sway you either way, play it and make your own mind up.

To me,so much better than 16

Same here. I wonder if those saying it's the same as 2016 still own 2016, or have played it much as I've played it since release and the difference is clear immediately.

I bet some people have simply played the 2016 demo last year, and then a year later trying 2017. There's no way anyone can play 2016 and 2017 back to back and think they play exactly the same.

Anyone that's played 2016 consistently will see the difference immediately.

Last edited:

I honestly dislike PES 2016 quite a bit. It definitely had its moments, and like every year there are bits of PES where I go, "That's great!" I even tried getting back into 2016 in anticipation of the new one (and to be able to notice any differences), and sorry, even with Yair patch I can barely bring myself to finish a single half of 2016. I'm enjoying 2017 much, much more. Granted, these are preliminary impressions that are subject to change, but it felt different enough to me right out of the gate.

I mean yes, it's similar to 2016 in a lot of ways, but it's like taking a naturally pretty girl who hasn't bathed, is wearing frumpy clothes and generally looks like a complete mess and then giving her a makeover. Same foundation, but it's been polished into a much better game of football in my opinion.

Last edited:
How much of 2016 have you played out of interest?

I'd imagine for someone who hasn't played much of 2016, or that played it ages ago, then 2017 could appear to be similar.

But going from 2017 to 2016 immediately after is eye opening for me personally. There's definitely a bigger difference between 2017 and 2016 than there was between 2015 and 2016.

I played one whole season of ML with Juventus and +- 50 games with friends. Not that much. Maybe you are right. I really hope that this game will grow on me. PES is my youth like many of you guys on this forum.

I played one whole season of ML with Juventus and +- 50 games with friends. Not that much. Maybe you are right. I really hope that this game will grow on me. PES is my youth like many of you guys on this forum.

To be honest I don't think I'll love pes as much as I did when I was younger.

I think part of that is down to my age, you perceive things differently when you're younger.

I'm finding things that annoy me in the demo, but I definitely prefer it to 2016.

I'm looking forward to Fifa 2017 for a comparison but I think it's safe to say I won't be touching 2016 anymore.

3.481GB download, installed size on hard drive 4.57GB

Exactly. There's no reason not to try it, it's a free demo.

I certainly wouldn't let anyone's opinion sway you either way, play it and make your own mind up.

Same here. I wonder if those saying it's the same as 2016 still own 2016, or have played it much as I've played it since release and the difference is clear immediately.

I bet some people have simply played the 2016 demo last year, and then a year later trying 2017. There's no way anyone can play 2016 and 2017 back to back and think they play exactly the same.

Anyone that's played 2016 consistently will see the difference immediately.
Agree full on there,I have a fresh memory since I still play it,can't really remember how it felt on release vs now,that was a big difference to.
But you'd only had to take a few touches on 17 to feel,and see the diffence.
Whether people will like it or not,dunno,the people who play/played PES 16 and consider that good,will love this,those who played the 16 demo,and hated the finished product,and then went to the other game,probably not.
My biggest issue is both 16 releases are unplayable to me after this demo,and that's a good sign.

Really let down to be honest im PES fan at heart so was hoping for better but i dont like it so many things feel wrong for me plus the fact cpu still spam lows shots although i see some high one so its like 80 % compared to 2016s 99% of low goals

Plus its so ugly in night games and in general im no graphics whore but its just too far from FIFA 17s now. I purchased both games last year but having played the FIFA beta think ill stick with that this year but im glad you lads enjoy it so far and have a game to play if you dislike FIFA

Played one game on Top Player: default game speed, level 1 assist for passing. Dominated a 0-0 with 68% possession with Barca against Atletico. 91% pass accuracy against their 75% accuracy. There was a few fouls from the AI though, so liked that, and their solitary effort on goal was not a daisy cutter to the corner, so liked that too.

Liked a lot of what I played there, but would seem in order to get a real challenge in this game then it will be a case of sticking passing and shooting on manual. I did that with PES2016 and didn't mind that too much, but just wish it needn't have to be that way.

Noticed also they have copied FIFA: 60fps gameplay and 30fps cut-scenes. Kinda liked the solid 60fps constant of PES2016.

Last edited:
Im so lazy to express a better and more detailed first impressions. So I will be more direct at the moment.

Im not the kind that gets excited with anything new. Just because its a new PES, doesnt mean it plays good.

What I could say so far is that the game does have potential to be easily the best this gen hands down. Not because the game is mindowimg in every aspects, but because it indeed offers a better football experience on the pitch than any other football game released so far this gen imo.

But let me tel you something... Ive just played a match in the rain, France vs Germany as this match in under that condition (rain) was what gave hype atter watching a video.

Let me tell you this, gameplay in the rain possiboy makes this game not the best of this gen, it easily makes this game the best in at least 10 years. Holy fucking shit!!

I dont want to show too much excitment, but gameplay in the rain in that generic stadium, France (player) vs Germany (cpu) was simply sublime. The way the ball behaves feel so much more convincing and also more unpredictable, the way it can be deflected, then it starts to loose speed and stop in a spot you didnt expect, forcing you to keep running onto it, players also become slightly heavier wich make movement feeels really good, responsive but at the same time realistic.

The other very positive aspect of this matcb is that Germany (at least on superstar level) is really, really aggressive and offensive, that issu of attacking players not pressure defenders definetly do t exist here.

Do this for the sake of your life:

- Superstar level
- normal speed
- manual passing
- France vs Germany.
- Generic stadium

Then give me thanks later.

Last edited:
Really let down to be honest im PES fan at heart so was hoping for better but i dont like it so many things feel wrong for me plus the fact cpu still spam lows shots although i see some high one so its like 80 % compared to 2016s 99% of low goals

Plus its so ugly in night games and in general im no graphics whore but its just too far from FIFA 17s now. I purchased both games last year but having played the FIFA beta think ill stick with that this year but im glad you lads enjoy it so far and have a game to play if you dislike FIFA

The animations just don't compare to Fifa. I've got Fifa 16 on at the moment doing Arsenal vs Barcelona and it's in a different league. Plus the ball feels like a separate entity, there have been improvements in PES 2017 but ultimately the ball still feels like it's on rails.

PES nowadays still looks like a PS2 game at it's core, it still has similar animations. Close up the player models on PES look better though, FIFA never seems to get the proportions right, and often the faces look weird.

But PES feels more fun for me. Fifa 16 feels sterile, and I don't quite feel in control (I can't explain what I mean). But judging by videos Fifa 17 looks like it might be more enjoyable for me. I only really play football games so buy both games each year (and big exclusives like Uncharted etc)

Lastly with regards to tactics there's no comparison, Fifa is shallow, you can't even mark a specific player. I mean it can't be complicated to implement a similar system to PES.

Last edited:
That's f up,I don't have gold on Xbox one,never had it 360 either

Maybe they changed it recently. Well, I'll see tomorrow I guess. The "change region" thing doesn't seem to be the same on 360 as on xbox one, otherwise I would have tried it that way.

Im so lazy to express a better and more detailed first impressions. So I will be more direct at the moment.

Im not the kind that gets excited with anything new. Just because its a new PES, doesnt mean it plays good.

What I could say so far is that the game does have potential to be easily the best this gen hands down. Not because the game is mindowimg in every aspects, but because it indeed offers a better football experience on the pitch than any other football game released so far this gen imo.

But let me tel you something... Ive just played a match in the rain, France vs Germany as this match in under that condition (rain) was what gave hype atter watching a video.

Let me tell you this, gameplay in the rain possiboy makes this game not the best of this gen, it easily makes this game the best in at least 10 years. Holy fucking shit!!

I dont want to show too much excitment, but gameplay in the rain in that generic stadium, France (player) vs Germany (cpu) was simply sublime. The way the ball behaves feel so much more convincing and also more unpredictable, the way it can be deflected, then it starts to loose speed and stop in a spot you didnt expect, forcing you to keep running onto it, players also become slightly heavier wich make movement feeels really good, responsive but at the same time realistic.

The other very positive aspect of this matcb is that Germany (at least on superstar level) is really, really aggressive and offensive, that issu of attacking players not pressure defenders definetly do t exist here.

Do this for the sake of your life:

- Superstar level
- normal speed
- manual passing
- France vs Germany.
- Generic stadium

Then give me thanks later.
Played my first game Boca vs River in rain
Manual,SS and -1
Pretty much felt like you after that game

Back
Top Bottom