PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Wait, there's a possibility it won't be?! I use that all the time!
Well, L2 +R1 or +R2 is its own command here, as shown in the pictures.

Can't imagine what we would trigger while dribbling with R1 and R2 and still using L2 for a pass. That's what inspired my question

You see the direction arrow in the long video with the guy's playing with Bhatti
Ah yeah, I remember seeing it now - I only noticed it because they've took the "point" off the end of it, so it's just a solid white line that appears.

Phew! It's one of my favourite features - it gives you a choice between an assisted shot and a manual shot (although I'd like to see the manual shots not be so perfect)!

Cheers Vialli!

I play the E3 version and is with L2+R1/R2

Maybe this guy have other configuration of control

And look this:

CjnSyGbUgAAqE4S.jpg

Is clear, Attack/Defense Level Controls :SMUG:

124y4rc.jpg

Adam Bhatti confirmed on the latest video that the attack/defense mentality work with double tap of d-pad (up or down). So they must have changed it.

wow.. that's a great clip. That slower, quick feet on the spot, when you get your finger off the r1 makes the change of pace look awesome. Really need this type of running variation in pes17.

Anyways, on a positive.. how awesome is the pes17 ball.. has the be the best in the series. Wish they produced a life size, professional grade, version...

Pes14 looked good but it didnt play that way..players especially weaker players had the turning circle of a artic truck..

While messi and some of the super stars were great to control,this didn't transcend down to the weaker players..

Many considered it a bare bones games and pes16 is in a completely different league even with its much lauded shortcomings.

Compressed low quality YouTube vids always make this game look smoother then it actually was to play.

In pes16 you have a much greater range of movement,dribbling and running variation and it doesn't feel like your players have lead boots on.

For me this was the point where pes started to go on a upward curve,the realisation that response had to take priority and pes started to become what it needed to to compete in the 21st century..prior to that pes productions where still hanging on to automated,rigid mechanics when the game needed to be freed up.

As soon as pes started to have better response a lot of folks who defected to Fifa started to come back.

For me the animations in pes17 are slightly improved and smoother and many have been added.

I fall into the camp of really liking pes16 animations and modelling..it's a subjective thing.

Some folk believe pes is trying to be like Fifa now..it's not,there trying to bring everything pes was on the ps2 but with the freedom of control Iss offered..

Not the older philosophy of 8 axis control and movement where everything was completely stat driven.For to long it was trying to be a halfway house between the old and the new without really being one of the other.

I much prefer the road it's on and as I've eluded to over the last few day,I'm of the believe pes now has so much potential off the back of 16.In other words we haven't even experienced yet how good this game could potentially be.

Ah yeah, I remember seeing it now - I only noticed it because they've took the "point" off the end of it, so it's just a solid white line that appears.

Phew! It's one of my favourite features - it gives you a choice between an assisted shot and a manual shot (although I'd like to see the manual shots not be so perfect)!

Cheers Vialli!
Phew. Had me worried there!

Some folk believe pes is trying to be like Fifa now..it's not,there trying to bring everything pes was on the ps2 but with the freedom of control Iss offered..

Not the older philosophy of 8 axis control and movement where everything was completely stat driven.For to long it was trying to be a halfway house between the old and the new without really being one of the other.

I much prefer the road it's on and as I've eluded to over the last few day,I'm of the believe pes now has so much potential off the back of 16.In other words we haven't even experienced yet how good this game could potentially be.

Professor Banksy lol. . . joking. . . I agree with nearly everything you've said in your last few posts .. keep up the good work buddy.

That's simply not true. The ping pong issue didn't arrive on PES by coincidence, there was a clear shift in direction post PES 2014 to try to get the FUT crowd hence the creation of MyClub and the more instant gratification gameplay. Which is fine, but please stop making this game something it's not.

Yes, in a time where analog sticks were a novelty, 8 axis controls were the norm. Yet that doesn't say nothing about the overall game much like tank controls don't make the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill be less horror classics. You can have 360 controls but if the result is Neymar having seizures and the game becoming a end to end running mess, how does this freedom help?

Regardless, if you gave the original PES team or Team Silent the same technology we have now, something akin of MGSV would be make, that the despite the backstage war during development and cuts still managed to revolutionize the stealth genre.

Last edited:
From...
Still moves in a rigid un-organic way and the animation transitions look clunky and obvious.. In static shots it looks stunning but it doesn't flow in a realistic way.. The stumbling animations and collisions still look stiff and awkward. More of the same with minor tweaks.Looks even more arcade like and watered down.
If I was konami I would just port pes5 over and add hd textures,it would still play like and feel like a more simulated version of footie..

To...
I fall into the camp of really liking pes16 animations and modelling..it's a subjective thing.
I'm of the believe pes now has so much potential off the back of 16.In other words we haven't even experienced yet how good this game could potentially be.

In literally less than a week! :SHOCK:

Serious question, what happened?!

Pes14 looked good but it didnt play that way..players especially weaker players had the turning circle of a artic truck..

While messi and some of the super stars were great to control,this didn't transcend down to the weaker players..

Many considered it a bare bones games and pes16 is in a completely different league even with its much lauded shortcomings.

Compressed low quality YouTube vids always make this game look smoother then it actually was to play.

In pes16 you have a much greater range of movement,dribbling and running variation and it doesn't feel like your players have lead boots on.

For me this was the point where pes started to go on a upward curve,the realisation that response had to take priority and pes started to become what it needed to to compete in the 21st century..prior to that pes productions where still hanging on to automated,rigid mechanics when the game needed to be freed up.

As soon as pes started to have better response a lot of folks who defected to Fifa started to come back.

For me the animations in pes17 are slightly improved and smoother and many have been added.

Definitely a subjective thing. I think pes14's movement was the best of any pes and played more sim like than any other pes. Have you played "World Soccer Winning Eleven 2014: Aoki Samurai no Chousen"?? it was the latest version, and the best version of pes14. Did it have its issues?? of course it did, but a fraction compared to pes16. Catch up bug, op shots (introduced by later patches) and a responsiveness that bugged a lot of people, but which I found more realistic compared to what we have today. Mind you, we2014 asnc was more responsive than pes2014. I have both versions on ps3 to compare. And regarding the smoothness... youtube does not make it smoother.. In fact its smoother, much smoother, on the ps3 and pc.
Btw, I wished the weaker players in pes 16 had the turning circle of an artic truck..rather than being able to turn inside out and then 360 in a millisecond.. come on now.. those left, right, left, right etc movements of neymar in pes17 are ridiculous... and unpleasantly unrealistic. If only they filled in the major sliding with a few quick steps in between, then they could have slightly (only slightly) pulled it off... Someone in a recent post mentioned pes13, and although the crappy robotic animations existed, one thing it did well was the detail to touches during a dribble. There were a lot of animations with the foot touching the ball, particularly when changing direction with a 'messi' which made things a whole lot better (and feel better) than the missing animations (covered by sliding) in pes16/17.

Anyways.. I really hope over the next few final months of tweaking the game, they somehow add the much needed filler animations for pes17 and reduce sliding. Is it possible this late into the build?? I just wonder how soon before release date the actual final build is complete... anyone know about these kinda things??? Is it complete when the demo is out.. or sooner??

Last edited:
...another (reasonably important) question??? why are the shorts so damn big/wide??? Ive also noticed the sleeves are slightly wider.. im thinking its due to the added fabric physics. Pes 14 had..... actually ill stop with the pes14 :)

From...

To...

In literally less than a week! :SHOCK:

Serious question, what happened?!

I went back to patched pes16 and just fell in love with the game again.Call it a biblical moment or a realisation that the fox engine has so much more to offer.

I started out loving pes16 which is documented on evo web last year but the little niggles stopped me from focusing on all the good.I decided to leave it a year for more variation to be added.

It's was obvious pes16 needed more development,fine tuning and the set play system and dots just bugged me.

Way to knee jerk after the first videos appeared this year and like a lot of people I became seduced by fifas hyper realistic presentation while forgetting what I really valued in a game.

There isn't a pes game I don't own or konami footie game prior to pes and I'm also someone that has experienced and enjoyed Fifa over the years.

It's the completeness I seek in pes and a consistency and balance..just became to blinkered by tech,without considering the technology konami has is as good as anything ea has it just hasn't had as many years of refinement or have konami really started to hit the high notes with it.

I didn't realise how good pes16 is,and this is after playing a lot of fifa16 on manual with like minded friends.

I didn't realise how good pes16 is,and this is after playing a lot of fifa16 on manual with like minded friends.
Fair play, I'm still just shocked at that "agenda" comment about those analysing the videos, when your opinion has done a total 180 in 6 days!

That being said, to be fair, I get your point about coming back to the game with fresh eyes. I've been playing PES 2016 more in the last 30 days than all of last year, primarily because I started running experiments with FIFA and realising that (against the CPU) you're playing the difficulty level more than you're playing the team, and so decided to give PES another chance. After you give any game a long break (particularly sports games), the flaws don't seem as game-breaking as they were before, and no game can be perfect. PES 2017 looks, at the very least, to be an improvement, and the new tactical settings (in comparison to 2016) are really exciting.

That's simply not true. The ping pong issue didn't arrive on PES by coincidence, there was a clear shift in direction post PES 2014 to try to get the FUT crowd hence the

What a load of rubbish
. Sorry don't agree.

The ping pong issue was in PES football for a very very long time. When did you start playing?

Edit:

need to not come across like a dick every now and then

Last edited:
That's simply not true. The ping pong issue didn't arrive on PES by coincidence, there was a clear shift in direction post PES 2014 to try to get the FUT crowd hence the creation of MyClub and the more instant gratification gameplay. Which is fine, but please stop making this game something it's not.

Yes, in a time where analog sticks were a novelty, 8 axis controls were the norm. Yet that doesn't say nothing about the overall game much like tank controls don't make the original Resident Evil and Silent Hill be less horror classics. You can have 360 controls but if the result is Neymar having seizures and the game becoming a end to end running mess, how does this freedom help?

Regardless, if you gave the original PES team or Team Silent the same technology we have now, something akin of MGSV would be make, that the despite the backstage war during development and cuts still managed to revolutionize the stealth genre.

Pes unassisted gives a more simulated game and those who choose to use assited when they can play are only missing out.Its no different with both games imo.Fifa and pes are better played with as less assistance as possible.It opens up so many more possibilities which you directly control.

Your always going to get the ping pong crowd irrespective of how deep the game becomes in a less assisted fashion.

It's up to the developer to make the game balanced so those that do choose to play the game properly are rewarded,and easily counter lazy playing styles..but that's a difficult middle ground when you don't want to alienate new players.It has been done right by konami themselves in ISS and pes in the pa2 era and it can be done now.

Konamis bread and butter was always great response it's pivatol in games that require split second timing.

I don't play footie online,but exploits are weaknesses in the game not the vision.It will be interesting to see how much the ai this year mangages that balance.

The games I play with friends on pes and Fifa aren't like you say..ping pong fests so I experience both games in a much better light and there both not shallow arcade experiences.

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy PES16. Never have I felt more unsatisfied scoring goals, or being scored on. PES 14 actually had it right. The only thing that ruined PES 14 was the defenders following the attackers deep into the box. The majority of those goals in that video Chuny posted was a product of the defenders following their marks deep into the box - hence losing that defensive line shape immediately.

The #2 issue that PES tactics needed to look at is the adjustment of "Shifting to Attack" and lowering it to get a proper match. It wasn't as effective in recent PES, but when it was introduced in PES 14, there was actually some room for improvement. The defenders following the attackers remained to be enemy #1 though.

My last video before I gave up on PES14. Look at the difference in pace of play compared to all these videos that have been viewing on PES17. It still had a mix of being open, but felt a lot more purposeful to mimic real football. I did make some adjustments to player tenacity at 99 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVX5SzfpO7A

I don't understand how anyone can enjoy PES16. Never have I felt more unsatisfied scoring goals, or being scored on. PES 14 actually had it right. The only thing that ruined PES 14 was the defenders following the attackers deep into the box. The majority of those goals in that video Chuny posted was a product of the defenders following their marks deep into the box - hence losing that defensive line shape immediately.

The #2 issue that PES tactics needed to look at is the adjustment of "Shifting to Attack" and lowering it to get a proper match. It wasn't as effective in recent PES, but when it was introduced in PES 14, there was actually some room for improvement. The defenders following the attackers remained to be enemy #1 though.

My last video before I gave up on PES14. Look at the difference in pace of play compared to all these videos that have been viewing on PES17. It still had a mix of being open, but felt a lot more purposeful to mimic real football. I did make some adjustments to player tenacity at 99 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVX5SzfpO7A

Wow! It looks better than Fifa! My problem with this game was the lack of goal scoring variations, shooting variations and stats influence you know?

Shooting was too scripted. Its like when you miss, you always miss the target by the same distance.

But man, that looks a current gen football game!

Pes unassisted gives a more simulated game and those who choose to use assited when they can play are only missing out.

What a load of rubbish.

The ping pong issue was in PES football for a very very long time. When did you start playing?

There is nothing that makes me feel like I'm playing simulation football like breaking the legs of my opponents 5 times in the same play and not even getting a yellow. Or having an AI that plays possession game on their half at 85 mins losing 0-1 in the champions league finals. PES 2016 was an arcady mess, let's please move forward instead of making excuses for it.

Playing PES and FIFA on manual is like putting a band aid on lung cancer instead of stopping smoking. You are purposely handicapping yourself to introduce some level of randomness into the game since nobody can auto-aim passing and shooting, when this should happen due to stats and error.

Sadly the default out of the box game plays like a ping pong fest and that's how you are supposed to play these games. Go to any "professional" PES tournament in the world, play any online game... this is it.

It's honestly heart breaking seeing people tweeting the FIFA sliders in hopes of finding some magical combination and "placebo" themselves into believing they found gold. Or in PES case, I even saw an example where the guy let the AI face the AI during defending so it wouldn't look bad :LOL:

I also don't get you guys, PES 5 sucked because it only has 8 direction and it didn't have freedom, now it had ping pong all along. FFS.

Last edited:
There is nothing that makes me feel like I'm playing simulation football like breaking the legs of my opponents 5 times in the same play and not even getting a yellow. Or having an AI that plays possession game on their half at 85 mins losing 0-1 in the champions league finals. PES 2016 was an arcady mess, let's please move forward instead of making excuses for it.

Playing PES and FIFA on manual is like putting a band aid on lung cancer instead of stopping smoking. You are purposely handicapping yourself to introduce some level of randomness into the game since nobody can auto-aim passing and shooting, when this should happen due to stats and error.

Sadly the default out of the box game plays like a ping pong fest and that's how you are supposed to play these games. Go to any "professional" PES tournament in the world, play any online game... this is it.

It's honestly heart breaking seeing people tweeting the FIFA sliders in hopes of finding some magical combination and "placebo" themselves into believing they found gold. Or in PES case, I even saw an example where the guy let the AI face the AI during defending so it wouldn't look bad :LOL:

I also don't get you guys, PES 5 sucked because it only has 8 direction and it didn't have freedom, now it had ping pong all along. FFS.

Loved pes5 but I also loved iss,iss98,iss2000 and in there own way they provided as much depth,longevity and a robust experience irrespective of the tech or there different takes on footie.

Your acting like pes 5 was the definitive experience and in some way everything outside of that isnt simulated when by definition a football game is a simulation.

Pes on the ps2 was a different type of game,paper,scissor,stone where direct control was on a very limited plain..

Pes now is evolving into a different type of game,one that is more about direct control but also with a deeper tactical element..It's better for it but not potentially where it could be or go..

Your basing something that had 5 years of refinement against something that hasn't stuck with the same formula for more then two years.

What will be,will be..open your mind,embrace change and move forward.

PESninja

I play unassisted because it gives me more not less..don't tweak sliders and I'm not looking for something that I don't get when playing assisted.

Just like to control everything and not let the cpu make those decisions or have that level off control.

I'm also old school but I don't live in a delusion that everything was so much better once or that football games now aren't on a completely different level.

I get huge amounts of enjoyment still and the gameplay is superior now as is the technology.

PESninja

I play unassisted because it gives me more not less..don't tweak sliders and I'm not looking for something that I don't get when playing assisted.

Just like to control everything and not let the cpu make those decisions or have that level off control.

I'm also old school but I don't live in a delusion that everything was so much better once or that football games now aren't on a completely different level.

I get huge amounts of enjoyment still and the gameplay is superior now as is the technology.

I totally agree with you Banksy I'm bet into the Master League at the moment on manual Superstar. . it's a world away from when it came out first.

Back
Top Bottom