PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

EDIT - I have pes 2013 on my PC still I think i might check it out dont think i ever played it much

not as far as i recall deco? juventus seem to bring on cuadrado when i play them but start with there new signing some 60 rated kid whos is useless seems to happen all over the leagues odd rated players being started infront of better ones i think its a case they sell a player in that specific position and replace it with a new signing no matter how crap they are

my goalkeeper hasnt really helped the AI he is pulling of insane saves like this one in the last minute i almost put the controller down thinking well thats a goal plus one he did vs salah of roma cross came salah header it and my gk spread himself mid air and saved it lol crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyyyE412Rws

Love a save like that. That's what you want isn't it? About the subs and that I always go in and put in their regular lineups as they should be and then put strong players on their subs list. . can take a while. a while back after konamis updates petr cech was playing as centre forward for Arsenal. But as you say in Master League the A.i does it's own thing sometimes.

Trying to love this game (no pun intended), I really am, but it's no good at the moment. In particular I've been trying to find out why a specific match is just utterly atrocious all the time. Roma v Corinthians. Step up Vagner Love, who is like Messi every time I play him. He's a 74 rated striker but the game seems to engineer him scoring at least one (and the first) every time I play them.

He scored his usual shit scripted goal after about ten minutes, like normal. Then this happened.

https://youtu.be/XwOhEzKT9J0

I mean, no words.

Then out of sympathy or something the CPU gifted me this goal which I run full force into a defender before sprinting full force the other way and managing to net.

https://youtu.be/m1wS8Q5MWME

But wait, the CPU wasn't finish. I engineer a tackle on the CPU before trying to play a through ball in front on my other player. Notice how he has around 50 yards of empty space. This conveniently finds the legend Vagner Love who then shrugs off a tackle (which I thought was timed well), before slotting that lovely CPU BANKER finish.

https://youtu.be/PUO8NBMA-IE

But wait...there was more.

https://youtu.be/FBistUJRvF4

From a throw in (and honestly, in real time, this was even more fucked up), they execute the perfect long throw/first time through ball combo whilst Stephen Hawking at the back decides move up the field 6 yards leaving the legend Love all to his own devices. Then, with the ball around three yards from goal and the perfect first time control and finish, Corinthians put the cherry on the cake. 3-1.

At this point it was all I could do to not through the PlayStation through the fucking plasma.

Every single time I play this match, it's utterly fucking atrocious. The scripting is just ludicrous. And it's every time. Vagner Love scores at least one goal a game, and this is after containing/beating Bayern before it. Love's instinct and accuracy borderlines on other worldy.

When the game behaves like this and it feels like you simply have no control over the outcomes then it becomes a pointless frustrating exercise. Then the game will place nice with say Palmeiras (you) v Bayern ffs. It's bipolar.

Slightly off-topic, but on PES 2013 (with a 15/16 update), as Liverpool, I beat Chelsea 3-2 in the ML (Superstar), and put together a little highlights package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZmhloMxYGE

The real highlights for me are these bits:

Chelsea goal one (00:01), the CPU rounds the keeper. I don't see that any more.

Liverpool goal one (00:27), Sturridge turns away from the defender and shoots, so I'm expecting it to be tame (because I'm not facing the goal). He powers it into the top corner (because it's on his favoured foot). In the current games, I don't think it'd go in because I'm not facing towards the goal when I shoot, but it's with his left foot and he's in a position where he can swivel and drive the ball.

Liverpool shot that's saved (00:40), the keeper saves a hard shot by forcing it into the ground and rebounding it away. These kinds of saves in the current games result in the ball flying off aerially 100% of the time, don't they? Presumably to stop easy rebound goals, but that's not realistic.

Liverpool goal two (00:58), it's a hard low shot the way it should be done, with real venom. It's so different in power to the other shots, even the Sturridge goal.

Another Liverpool shot that's saved (1:45), the keeper pushes the ball onto the bar. Okay, I have seen that in the modern games, but not often, and it just seems right in this scenario (the keeper uses strength to hit the ball away, it's not "limped" onto the crossbar).

And that's just from one match...

Desperate to get back home and play it again...

wow.

Im speechless.

It is the honeymoon period though also remember the gameplay i showed you had edited tactics and you will need to make sure Kitserver is setup in a certian way but i'm actually surprised you well all out after that post i did.

The editied tactics are super easy to install though and you can do than for almost all teams and keep them all stored using .pef files with Wild@'s editor.

Also, what patch is that, sun patch?

@Il Grande Silenzio I firmly believe PES 2013 holds the key to the future of PES. Its the movement and responsiveness which presents those incredible amount of variables which means even when a better PES games comes out you can still play this game over and over. Much like People still play PES 5/6

Pes 2014 was/is quite special, I agree, if not incredibly flawed.

I think it's genuinely the only real attempt at a simulation/realistic football game ever.

I really admire that.

Konami will never try that again though seeing as PES 2016 is such a critic's darling.

Agree with you 100%. .and there I was thinking it was me against the world . .. so I'm not completely mad?

Yikes CCSHOP, I totally feel your pain. I've had games where I beat a really tough team, just to be scripted against a terrible team, replay that game and same outcome. One of the reasons I stopped playing, I can't deal with scripting.

ChrisDavies, I also remember great moments with 2013, to the point I want to play it but Im a bit lazy to set up the patches. I do remember the scripting on that game was atrocious. Hopefully you don't run into that, there might have been some patches to fix that but I remember fondly breaking one of my PS3 controllers against the floor.... good times

Yikes CCSHOP, I totally feel your pain. I've had games where I beat a really tough team, just to be scripted against a terrible team, replay that game and same outcome. One of the reasons I stopped playing, I can't deal with scripting.

ChrisDavies, I also remember great moments with 2013, to the point I want to play it but Im a bit lazy to set up the patches. I do remember the scripting on that game was atrocious. Hopefully you don't run into that, there might have been some patches to fix that but I remember fondly breaking one of my PS3 controllers against the floor.... good times

I remember that 2013 by the end of a shit load of patches was a really really good game, on PS3 at least. I remember that when it was released out the box, the goalkeepers were less useful than a council bin. No I'm being serious. Literally anything would go in.

Anybody else get a poll from konami by e-mail. Asks you from 1 to 10 how would you recommend Pes 2016 to other people and the same question about Fifa 2016 and that was it. Weird.

Can't agree with this actually. I find the goal keepers in PES 2013 (release version, no patches) to be pretty decent.
I'm saying this because I've been playing this version of PES 2013 for the last week or so. I usually find the pre-patch PES releases the best.
They seem to palm a lot of the shots, deflect them and not save them, but that's pretty natural imo since the shots go real fast in the game. But I'm not seeing that many howlers.

Give it time lol.I remember at the time there were riots about them. In fact, 2013 was panned originally by most of the fans. But fair play to KONAMI, they did a really good job by the end. Credit where it's due.

Give it time lol.I remember at the time there were riots about them. In fact, 2013 was panned originally by most of the fans. But fair play to KONAMI, they did a really good job by the end. Credit where it's due.

commercially PES 2013 was panned but from the first demo the reception from most people was overwhelming positive.

Issues where the 'cheating' and ruthless AI where most teams where setup with long ball and quick counter, this was resolved by the community who just gave the AI nicer tactics to play against.

What i find amazing now is back when it was released so many people just didn't give the game a chance because the graphics where a big downgrade from FIFA and the animations where rubbish despite the gameplay being miles, miles, miles superior to any game since.

Sorry but some things on those videos look completely dodge. You Evo webber are weird. One of the most painful things about 2013 was the ease of shooting.

FYI
My ML campaign has become significantly hard in the 2nd half hope it stays this way now :D

I remember that 2013 by the end of a shit load of patches was a really really good game, on PS3 at least. I remember that when it was released out the box, the goalkeepers were less useful than a council bin. No I'm being serious. Literally anything would go in.

Last patch for PES 2013 was released in April 2014. And yes the GKs were bullshit up until a patch that came in January.

Pes 2014 was/is quite special, I agree, if not incredibly flawed.

I think it's genuinely the only real attempt at a simulation/realistic football game ever.

I really admire that.

Konami will never try that again though seeing as PES 2016 is such a critic's darling.

I agree with you.

I play this series since ISS PRO 98. I think Winning Eleven 2014 is the game that best capture the feel of a football match.

There were few positive reviews of PES 2014, but I like this one:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/sep/20/pes-2014-review

I agree with you.

I play this series since ISS PRO 98. I think Winning Eleven 2014 is the game that best capture the feel of a football match.

There were few positive reviews of PES 2014, but I like this one:
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/sep/20/pes-2014-review

BOOM!

Pretty much how I felt about PES 2014 and the direction it was going at the beginning when I played the leaked demo. Then patch after patch Konami screwed the game up. Fans were so used to being able to turn on a dime and have everything uber responsive they couldn't handle realistic turning physics. Asim said they moved like tanks, I can see where he was coming from but I did not agree.

If PES 2015 was built form PES 2014 and Konami improved the transitions between animations then we would have had gold. Why so many ppl complained about the responsiveness of PES 2014 early on was down to the fact players had weight and turned realistically but because of the lack of transition animations gamers didn't get the "visual feedback" as to why a player was turning at a certain speed.

Now we have chopped up animation linking, players that are floaty and a ton of skating...but hey the game is responsive! lol

In my opinion, if you slapped FIFA and EA's name onto PES 2016 some PES fans ( NOT ALL) would say "look typical FIFA, players feel floaty and look at all the skating OMG and the speed its hockey on grass!" But since its PES, that is replaced with "the game is fluid and responsive"

Even on the WENB podcast Asim made it clear when I spoke about transition animations and realistic turning that Konami will only do what they can as long as it doesn't effect responsiveness. So I don't think realism in that department is on the cards in the near future.

BOOM!

Pretty much how I felt about PES 2014 and the direction it was going at the beginning when I played the leaked demo. Then patch after patch Konami screwed the game up. Fans were so used to being able to turn on a dime and have everything uber responsive they couldn't handle realistic turning physics. Asim said they moved like tanks, I can see where he was coming from but I did not agree.

If PES 2015 was built form PES 2014 and Konami improved the transitions between animations then we would have had gold. Why so many ppl complained about the responsiveness of PES 2014 early on was down to the fact players had weight and turned realistically but because of the lack of transition animations gamers didn't get the "visual feedback" as to why a player was turning at a certain speed.

Now we have chopped up animation linking, players that are floaty and a ton of skating...but hey the game is responsive! lol

In my opinion, if you slapped FIFA and EA's name onto PES 2016 some PES fans ( NOT ALL) would say "look typical FIFA, players feel floaty and look at all the skating OMG and the speed its hockey on grass!" But since its PES, that is replaced with "the game is fluid and responsive"

Even on the WENB podcast Asim made it clear when I spoke about transition animations and realistic turning that Konami will only do what they can as long as it doesn't effect responsiveness. So I don't think realism in that department is on the cards in the near future.

Responsiveness had to be done to attract casuals, game is catering more now to the casual gamer, that's where the money is unfortunately

PES 2014 problem was they wanted to rebuild PES 2013 with all the physics and animations which weren't possible before.

The worked hard and delivered in every area PES 2013 was incapable of producing but they didn't get anywhere near finishing it and all of the aspects which made PES 2013 quality was lost and has been left undeveloped since.

Jus played the CL online tournament they really need to lock formations ppl are playing weird ass set ups to score cut backs like 4-1-5 staggered its pathetic i won 2 out of 3 lost the other and went out but didnt enjoy one game horrific lag delay ect what a shambles

Not being arrogant but none of them are good at the game they just run into your defenders steal the ball cut in pass goal i destroyed 2 of them with newcastle vs bayern and psg with a passing game but got hammered 3 0 vs a real madrid user due to lag and cut backs do konami realise the state its in?

Last edited:
Jus played the CL online tournament they really need to lock formations ppl are playing weird ass set ups to score cut backs like 4-1-5 staggered its pathetic i won 2 out of 3 lost the other and went out but didnt enjoy one game horrific lag delay ect what a shambles

Not being arrogant but none of them are good at the game they just run into your defenders steal the ball cut in pass goal i destroyed 2 of them with newcastle vs bayern and psg with a passing game but got hammered 3 0 vs a real madrid user due to lag and cut backs do konami realise the state its in?
Rather than lock formations they should fix it so that these formations would play out like they do IRL.

Also the online slide and Throughball should be easy to patch. If they did that though people wouldn't play as much.

Posted this in wrong place sorry...

So anyway, anyone following knows my frustration with a certain game in the demo; Roma v Corinthians. Every time I play as Roma v Corinthians, the scripting seems to go into overdrive and Vagner Love is amazing. Some horrible games. So I thought I'd mess about with the formations and stuff and lo and behold, the game seemed to have shifted in my favour. Now I know you can retort back with 'well PES is deep that's why tactics mean everything' and to an extent I would agree that tactics in PES can have a profound effect on how the games play out.

What my problem is though is that even changing formation pre game seems to have an effect on code/scripting even before you've kicked a ball, and this is what I'm confused about. Why is it using formation A as Roma sends the game into a chaotic scripted mess whilst changing it levels the game out and makes Vagner Love Vagner Love?

The change was a simple 4-3-3 to 4-5-1, but immediately you could see the effect. It seemed to send the CPU into a state of confusion where they would give possession away more cheaply, miss the shots they normally would score and with more 'things' going my way.

Now I know I want depth to the game, and tactics should aid in the changing of the game, but it seems that certain tactics change the outcome/momentum of games even before a ball is kicked. Playing with the default formation Love would score at least one scripted goal with the norm being 2 or 3. In four games using the switched formation he scored once. I also changed the players around too putting strikers in midfield and midfielders up front and the same occurred; I just felt the game be balanced with an undercurrent of it favouring me at times and their CPU ability reflecting their stats.

Now, like I say, I'm all for tactics affecting the game, but when it seems to impact the code/scripting even before a ball is kicked then I do have a little issue with it. I wonder therefore whether the majority of matches (more or less) are pre-determined to go a certain way at kick off with the tactics set. I shall look into it further. I know Klash is big on his tactics if not necessarily knowing their full impact on scripting etc.

Posted this in wrong place sorry...

So anyway, anyone following knows my frustration with a certain game in the demo; Roma v Corinthians. Every time I play as Roma v Corinthians, the scripting seems to go into overdrive and Vagner Love is amazing. Some horrible games. So I thought I'd mess about with the formations and stuff and lo and behold, the game seemed to have shifted in my favour. Now I know you can retort back with 'well PES is deep that's why tactics mean everything' and to an extent I would agree that tactics in PES can have a profound effect on how the games play out.

What my problem is though is that even changing formation pre game seems to have an effect on code/scripting even before you've kicked a ball, and this is what I'm confused about. Why is it using formation A as Roma sends the game into a chaotic scripted mess whilst changing it levels the game out and makes Vagner Love Vagner Love?

The change was a simple 4-3-3 to 4-5-1, but immediately you could see the effect. It seemed to send the CPU into a state of confusion where they would give possession away more cheaply, miss the shots they normally would score and with more 'things' going my way.

Now I know I want depth to the game, and tactics should aid in the changing of the game, but it seems that certain tactics change the outcome/momentum of games even before a ball is kicked. Playing with the default formation Love would score at least one scripted goal with the norm being 2 or 3. In four games using the switched formation he scored once. I also changed the players around too putting strikers in midfield and midfielders up front and the same occurred; I just felt the game be balanced with an undercurrent of it favouring me at times and their CPU ability reflecting their stats.

Now, like I say, I'm all for tactics affecting the game, but when it seems to impact the code/scripting even before a ball is kicked then I do have a little issue with it. I wonder therefore whether the majority of matches (more or less) are pre-determined to go a certain way at kick off with the tactics set. I shall look into it further. I know Klash is big on his tactics if not necessarily knowing their full impact on scripting etc.

CC I mentioned something like that a couple of pages back where I had success by changing tactics. . . as you said it seems to confuse the A.i and it feels like it's plans have been scuppered and it gets confused.

I've just done it in my last game against Valencia . Rodrigo was running amok and scored 4 against me to lead 4-2 I switched to an altered 4-3-3 and won 5-4 felt great even it was scripted in my favour.

BOOM!

Absolutely agree with all of that.

After playing a whole season in PES 2013 in a matter of days, and then going to 2016, I mean, it's laughable. Yeah, graphically and in terms of animations it's obviously years ahead. But the AI's super-duper first-time passes, the constant attack-mindedness, the same goal over and over again... It's astonishing what a step-down the gameplay is.

It has its faults but tactically 2013 far superior. Someone mentioned Costa's goal yesterday versus Everton - look at Chelsea's second goal. Slow movement, passing around to create space, and look at the defensive positioning - players are practically standing still except the players immediately around the ball. Even Premier League football isn't constant running and action. PES 2013 varies so much more match-to-match, not even just goal-to-goal.

For me, this year's FIFA is closer to it than this year's PES is (certainly in terms of having to really think about what you're doing to advance up the pitch, and in goal variation)! Now there's a controversial opinion...

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with all of that.

After playing a whole season in PES 2013 in a matter of days, and then going to 2016, I mean, it's laughable. Yeah, graphically and in terms of animations it's obviously years ahead. But the AI's super-duper first-time passes, the constant attack-mindedness, the same goal over and over again... It's astonishing what a step-down the gameplay is.

It has its faults but tactically 2013 far superior. Someone mentioned Costa's goal yesterday versus Everton - look at Chelsea's second goal. Slow movement, passing around to create space, and look at the defensive positioning - players are practically standing still except the players immediately around the ball. Even Premier League football isn't constant running and action. PES 2013 varies so much more match-to-match, not even just goal-to-goal.

For me, this year's FIFA is closer to it than this year's PES is (certainly in terms of having to really think about what you're doing to advance up the pitch, and in goal variation)! Now there's a controversial opinion...

Haha you are so controversial Chris Davies:TTTH:

I think FIFA has the resources and the team to create the game a lot of us would like but won't especially after the 180 EA did during this gaming cycle with patches. When I was at E3 we asked the one EA producer Aaron about it and he flat out said he hasn't be given the freedom to create the football game he's wanted to make. And EA's producers grew up hardcore PES fans. Which is why there are alot of PES elements in current FIFA. Just look at the tactics. It's basically PS2 PES but with different names slapped on there like Park the Bus. Only thing FIFA s missing from the PS2 PES tactics is the ability to change formations on the fly. I expect an arcadey FIFA 17 to appeal to the masses and win back fans that went to play PES 2016 and get back to hitting their profit margins.

So where does that leave PES?

I actually think we are more likely to get the game we want in the future from PES than FIFA because when all the casuals go back to FIFA 17 Konami is going to have to make a choice...do we be different and create a more hardcore niche game and be the footballers game again and survive that way or are there enough fans in the casual market that no matter what we create we'll be making a profit so stick to the casual base we have now?

My fear is they may even say fuck it and go the free-to-play online route with MyClub included and make profits off micro transactions. Then they won't need to pay for league licenses or team licenses just the FIFAPro license to get players real names and likenesses and an edit mode for ppl to create there own teams. Think of the amount of money they will save on development and licenses Konami would cash in :COAT:

Looking at the current KONAMI i think it's more likely Pes won't be released than a great Pes to appear again.

Seriously, which one of the latest decade Pes is great at Ps2 level of greatness? Not a single one. Every one had more or less glaring issues that made playing that game a chore after few weeks, or at best, months.

Pes quality has been ranging from bad to good. Not even great, let alone awesome as ps2 games were when they released. Pes used to redefine football videogames gameplay every year with little tweaks here and there that showed how great it was after weeks and months of play, now every year we just have to wait days or weeks to discover game breaking bugs in gameplay. Gameplay is supposedly the best Pes feature yet it still has important issues.

Don't even make me start about the presentation, license, modes, online, Master League.

I really can't believe a recent Pes can score more than 7 in reviews.

Back
Top Bottom