PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

My point being if developers could do this 10 years ago why have those elements regressed? Where have those details gone? The reason PES was the footballers game was BECAUSE of the details. I spoke with a friend of mine who goes to a lot of video game events and plays both PES and FIFA and has played both for years ever since the PS1 days and he brought that up to me...right now FIFA is winning the "details" battle over PES and it still has more licenses.

It has regressed due to the nature of a vital element not being worked on whatsoever.

That element is the Jogging, running and sprinting transition system is non existent in PES 2014, 2015 and 2016

You can see in my post here:
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3119020&postcount=8279

The reason why we have seen and played better is Konami have only worked on animations and kicking physics from 2014-2016 and nothing on movement and sprinting. PES 2016 essentially has tron like running.

PES 2016 is a game so heavily based on shooting and passing, natural movement and dribbling just isn't happening.

I want to spread this out again this year because we cannot throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Thanks of your thoughts :)

I want to make this clear because from fans and people at Konami I get the banter of "There goes Bman being negative again just enjoy the game blah blah fart sound this is why don't read evo-web if you enjoy the game"

If you are enjoying PES 2016 great if you are not great too. My focus is not bashing the game but how to make the game better. I never say PES sucks or this aspect of the game sucks and not offer solutions.

I am also waiting for the inevitable "dude I played that game it was a crap arcade fest blah blah queef sound"

Let me reiterate, I have never played Football Kingdom nor do I care if it was a crap game. What I am getting at is the elements mentioned "shooting/ball physics, heading/nets" gave more visual satisfaction over 10 years ago then we have today...WHY? I would love for that question to be answered by a developer. Tech has improved so shouldn't these things improve or be at the same level today?

In my opinion, I don't care how big of a PES fan boy someone is or how much they hate PES---if you compare side by side youtube videos of Football Kingdom goals to PES goals of the last decade I don't know how anyone could without any bias say viewing PES goals from 08-16 gives them more visual satisfaction then watching those Football Kingdom goals. (And PES 6 was really good in this department but I think Football Kingdom has it slightly beat but both visual satisfaction was top notch)

My point being if developers could do this 10 years ago why have those elements regressed? Where have those details gone? The reason PES was the footballers game was BECAUSE of the details. I spoke with a friend of mine who goes to a lot of video game events and plays both PES and FIFA and has played both for years ever since the PS1 days and he brought that up to me...right now FIFA is winning the "details" battle over PES and it still has more licenses.

There is always an excuse "who cares about nets"--well they add to the visual satisfaction/immersion of scoring a goal, "who cares CPU A.I. shots go low its all about the build up to the goal"--well if you are seeing the same A.I. goal time and time again doesn't it take you out of the immersion?, "Who cares about fouls it keeps the game fluid and flowing"--because free kicks and fouls are a fundamental part of football. etc. etc. etc. Always an excuse for why details have been lost or diminished over the years.

I'll end my post with this, if I had never played PS2 PES, or seen videos of Football Kingdom goals then I'd probably enjoy PES 2016 a helluva a lot more. Seriously. But the reality for me is I'VE PLAYED BETTER, I'VE SEEN BETTER..10 years ago...smooches

Totally agree dude. The fact is after clocking perhaps 50 hours on PES demo I can kind of say, I've seen pretty much everything. I bet though if I went back to PES6 on the PC which I patched years ago, I'd get a 'fuck me' moment within 30 minutes of playing. Whether it would be a keeper save, or a drilled swerving shot, or something. And that is the problem I have.

From where we have come from to what we have now, I don't think it's good enough, not by a stretch. This iteration should have been something made like 3/4 yeas ago. It simply shouldn't be that an 8 axis game made 10 years ago is far deeper than now. And I also agree that even now, still, each and every game PES game just feels unfinished in some way.

Whether it be day/night games affecting the speed/responsiveness of the game a few years ago, having to alter the gamespeed, the keepers being shite (loads of PES'), players in wrong teams by like seasons, the shitty nets one year, STILL the imbalance of day/night games in ML. Now we have this fucking irritating CPU corner shot goal which 74 rated blue arrow CPU strikers can hit with 100% accuracy against Neuer for a pastime.

Honestly, this is why I don't go on PES forums as much as I used to because it just brings our all the raw emotion/anger in me regarding a product that I (and millions of the hardcore) have invested so much time and effort and love and money in; only for us to be seemingly neglected with 'something' else every year. I don't even think it's any sort of self entitlement either. PES is like the juvenile delinquent who no matter what, will always do wrong and yet we continue to forgive and give another chance.

I mean just look at the shot trajectories of that Football Kingdom game. It's like 50 times better than PES. Oh man. Anyway, rant over. Tell me to shut up if you want.

Totally agree dude. The fact is after clocking perhaps 50 hours on PES demo I can kind of say, I've seen pretty much everything. I bet though if I went back to PES6 on the PC which I patched years ago, I'd get a 'fuck me' moment within 30 minutes of playing. Whether it would be a keeper save, or a drilled swerving shot, or something. And that is the problem I have.

From where we have come from to what we have now, I don't think it's good enough, not by a stretch. This iteration should have been something made like 3/4 yeas ago. It simply shouldn't be that an 8 axis game made 10 years ago is far deeper than now. And I also agree that even now, still, each and every game PES game just feels unfinished in some way.

Whether it be day/night games affecting the speed/responsiveness of the game a few years ago, having to alter the gamespeed, the keepers being shite (loads of PES'), players in wrong teams by like seasons, the shitty nets one year, STILL the imbalance of day/night games in ML. Now we have this fucking irritating CPU corner shot goal which 74 rated blue arrow CPU strikers can hit with 100% accuracy against Neuer for a pastime.

Honestly, this is why I don't go on PES forums as much as I used to because it just brings our all the raw emotion/anger in me regarding a product that I (and millions of the hardcore) have invested so much time and effort and love and money in; only for us to be seemingly neglected with 'something' else every year. I don't even think it's any sort of self entitlement either. PES is like the juvenile delinquent who no matter what, will always do wrong and yet we continue to forgive and give another chance.

I mean just look at the shot trajectories of that Football Kingdom game. It's like 50 times better than PES. Oh man. Anyway, rant over. Tell me to shut up if you want.

We just became best friends. I will be inviting you to my wedding

Hey fellow Pes fans,

Long time lurker, decided to register today. Been playing PES/ISS since the PS1 days.

It's funny that you mention Football Kingdom, B-Man. It hardly ever gets mentioned anymore so imagine my surprise when you brought up this obscure Japanese only football game that only a handful of people in the West have played; I am one of those.

While I don't own a Japanese import console anymore, I still have a copy of Football Kingdom lying around here. Couldn't bring myself to sell it since it provided me with a lot of great and fun memories.
It's far, far from a perfect or maybe even great game though, yet for a first effort and considering the year it came out it's one of the greatest football games ever made.
However, it's very easy to be fooled and misled by those majestic, brilliant youtube compilations.
It's difficult to see on youtube, but the ball physics were actually quite poor, very soft/floaty - and it doesn't look like it, but shooting really didn't feel powerful enough - although adding curve to the ball was very nice (something ISS 3 on the ps2 did well too).

Keepers were godawful, worse than they have ever been in PES. Every player in the game felt the same, there was zero difference, even less than in Fifa. Defenders were pretty much the same as attackers or midfielders. Stats were essentially meaningless. On top of that there were only like one or two dribble animations. Basically all you could do was run or pass.

Yes, the game was incredibly free flowing and responsive and FUN, but it lacked a lot of depth.

If Namco were given a chance to make sequels and improve on all these things we could have had some real football gaming classics. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

Those goal nets though :COOL:

Regarding PES 2016, it's honestly one of the worst football games I've ever played; constant low shots, one dimensional A.I, broken referees, holding the ball up in your own half without the comp a.i pressing or chasing the ball for ages, lacklustre shooting etc. I honestly for the life of me can't understand why this game got such positive reviews.

The only PES game I play now is PES 2013 which I think is a really fun and competent game even if it has some annoyances. It's also still an amazing multiplayer game.

PES 2017 will continue on the same foot as PES 2016; what a horrible future for football games IMO.

Well that's fucked that then.

The only PES game I play now is PES 2013 which I think is a really fun and competent game even if it has some annoyances. It's also still an amazing multiplayer game.

PES 2017 will continue on the same foot as PES 2016; what a horrible future for football games IMO.

if PES 2017 dosen't improve and my fears are realized then it looks like we will have to be patching PES 2013 forever.

Last edited:
Hey fellow Pes fans,

Long time lurker, decided to register today. Been playing PES/ISS since the PS1 days.

It's funny that you mention Football Kingdom, B-Man. It hardly ever gets mentioned anymore so imagine my surprise when you brought up this obscure Japanese only football game that only a handful of people in the West have played; I am one of those.

While I don't own a Japanese import console anymore, I still have a copy of Football Kingdom lying around here. Couldn't bring myself to sell it since it provided me with a lot of great and fun memories.
It's far, far from a perfect or maybe even great game though, yet for a first effort and considering the year it came out it's one of the greatest football games ever made.
However, it's very easy to be fooled and misled by those majestic, brilliant youtube compilations.
It's difficult to see on youtube, but the ball physics were actually quite poor, very soft/floaty - and it doesn't look like it, but shooting really didn't feel powerful enough - although adding curve to the ball was very nice (something ISS 3 on the ps2 did well too).

Keepers were godawful, worse than they have ever been in PES. Every player in the game felt the same, there was zero difference, even less than in Fifa. Defenders were pretty much the same as attackers or midfielders. Stats were essentially meaningless. On top of that there were only like one or two dribble animations. Basically all you could do was run or pass.

Yes, the game was incredibly free flowing and responsive and FUN, but it lacked a lot of depth.

If Namco were given a chance to make sequels and improve on all these things we could have had some real football gaming classics. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be.

Those goal nets though :COOL:

Regarding PES 2016, it's honestly one of the worst football games I've ever played; constant low shots, one dimensional A.I, broken referees, holding the ball up in your own half without the comp a.i pressing or chasing the ball for ages, lacklustre shooting etc. I honestly for the life of me can't understand why this game got such positive reviews.

Great insight into the game thanks for that!

I've only ever seen youtube videos so I'm sure the video playback speeds up some parts of the game just like in a lot of gameplay videos we see. So shooting maybe floaty when actually playing but the speed from the video recording playback makes shots look a bit faster then they are I can understand that. Either way, the "look" of those goals from youtube videos is what PES should be striving to replicate that visual feedback satisfaction even if the game plays like crap

People still playing the game can clearly see all the faults in the game and do care about them. What do you want people to do. . stop playing because there are faults? Really? There's faults in every Pes game, I can never understand the romantic view of past Pes games. ..go back and play those games and you will see how limited and predictable they are and you will be bored within a week. Btw I'm not a Pes fanboy . .I couldn't play Pes 2015 because I felt it was too basic and I said it on this site . .I liked pes 2014 which doesn't sit well with most people. Pes 2013 was a good game as well but was let down by ridiculous scripting but clearly klashman is in love with the dribbling system in it and he's probably right about implementing it for Pes 2017.

When this game plays well it can be the best edition that I've played and then it can be infuriating as well.

At the end of the day lads it's either play Pes, Fifa or no football game, we can all complain to Konami every single day but we can't control the situation.

People still playing the game can clearly see all the faults in the game and do care about them. What do you want people to do. . stop playing because there are faults? Really? There's faults in every Pes game, I can never understand the romantic view of past Pes games. ..go back and play those games and you will see how limited and predictable they are and you will be bored within a week. Btw I'm not a Pes fanboy . .I couldn't play Pes 2015 because I felt it was too basic and I said it on this site . .I liked pes 2014 which doesn't sit well with most people. Pes 2013 was a good game as well but was let down by ridiculous scripting but clearly klashman is in love with the dribbling system in it and he's probably right about implementing it for Pes 2017.

When this game plays well it can be the best edition that I've played and then it can be infuriating as well.

At the end of the day lads it's either play Pes, Fifa or no football game, we can all complain to Konami every single day but we can't control the situation.

I see your view and respect it. First, I've mentioned repeatedly if you love the game thats great. Where have I told people to stop playing? The romantic view of PES is about the details that have been lost. I agree, I can only play PS2 PES in spurts I would get bored of it if I play everyday for a week. Funny thing is I like PES 2014 too. They should have built on that.

Frankly, there is not much conversation going on here or pretty much in any other PES forum. Why that is who knows. So the game has been out for awhile why not engage in conversation that can improve the game? You can look at that forum inactivity from two sides, A) ppl are enjoying the game and don't feel the need to post anything or what to hear constructive criticism or B) Ppl don't like the game and haven't for a while and feel there opinion falls on deaf ears to Konami so they are done with posting and caring. I have friends who fit into both categories.

I like improving PES-type conversation what can I say

I see your view and respect it. First, I've mentioned repeatedly if you love the game thats great. Where have I told people to stop playing? The romantic view of PES is about the details that have been lost. I agree, I can only play PS2 PES in spurts I would get bored of it if I play everyday for a week. Funny thing is I like PES 2014 too. They should have built on that.

Frankly, there is not much conversation going on here or pretty much in any other PES forum. Why that is who knows. So the game has been out for awhile why not engage in conversation that can improve the game? You can look at that forum inactivity from two sides, A) ppl are enjoying the game and don't feel the need to post anything or what to hear constructive criticism or B) Ppl don't like the game and haven't for a while and feel there opinion falls on deaf ears to Konami so they are done with posting and caring. I have friends who fit into both categories.

100% again B-Man. At least by venting some frustrations etc there is SOME activity on PES forums that are basically dead. I look at the likes of PES Gaming which I posted a lot in; completely dead. I'd rather have some debate or listen to people bitching about their gripes than see nothing.

I did have three good games in a row tonight and may have found my combo. Full manual, gamespeed -1, Top Player. I've had to bite the bullet in the name of balancing the thing and drop down, but I feel there is now more variety in things like misplaced passes, shots etc to warrant me playing at this level. I shall probe further. :PRAY:

100% again B-Man. At least by venting some frustrations etc there is SOME activity on PES forums that are basically dead. I look at the likes of PES Gaming which I posted a lot in; completely dead. I'd rather have some debate or listen to people bitching about their gripes than see nothing.

I did have three good games in a row tonight and may have found my combo. Full manual, gamespeed -1, Top Player. I've had to bite the bullet in the name of balancing the thing and drop down, but I feel there is now more variety in things like misplaced passes, shots etc to warrant me playing at this level. I shall probe further. :PRAY:

I'm going to give this all manual thing a try too :PRAY:

Last edited:
I'm going to give this all manual thing a try too :PRAY:

If you're finding the game easy/boring on assisted (like me), I would recommend it. Not sure about -1 speed tho. That would make it easier to me. Personally, I need the pressure or else I would dominate possession.

All manuals is the way to go on PES 2016, start by playing on profesional or even regular if you struggle with manual controls, once you get used to it you'll never want to go back to assisted.

Assisted control in PES 2015 was better, 1-3 bars was still not fully assisted, but in 2016 even level 1 feels like 4 bars assistance in 2015.

Realistic pressure and aggressiveness towards ball carrier would be a great start for pes 17, don't know why they can't create another difficulty level where the games are similar to derby games, that would give me a semi fix on the game till pes 17.

I've always wondered when do companies like EA and KONAMI, which release certain games on a yearly bases, start working on the upcoming title.
I mean, I've always supposed there's a gap between the release of the game, and then the development of the next one. Plus, they probably assign a certaint amount of the crew to work on the updates until a certain point in time, then they probably join the rest of the team who started working on the next game a few months before.

What do you think? You think Konami has already started working on PES 2017?.

Okay have put plenty of time into my ML campaign

Positives
Commentary / sound
It's alot more varied now still repetitive but nice new elements in are good. Also the crowd sounds in the championship have a very English feel to it

Derby day
You finally get the feeling of these games now by far one of the best additions the PES offline can't believe people haven't mentioned this. The players with special traits which mean that they are on glowing red form is a very cool addition. The AI is very aggressive and the games are very intense.

Player development - greatly improved players get injured, players with good passing improve in the necessary areas and get additional points when they are having are having a good run of form. My 71 rated CF S. Coutinho went from 71 rated to 75
now and is an absolute menace. Many of the default players are actually pretty decent even if the have sub 75 overall rating

Transfer market
Good system I don't like my scouts but generally the way you can loan or setup deals is great. I picked up a decent RMF by looking for players who don't get enough game time and have struggled to sign good players (yes this is a good thing) it would be silly to sign a first team premiership division player for a championship.

I did however manage to get Alcacer on loan from Valencia but he was transfer listed and cost me my entire transfer budget on loan.

Negatives
Not sure if it's because it's 1st season n in Championship but apart from derbies the game is too easy on top player 1 bar assist
I am thumping teams 5,6,7 - 0
Their defence is bad and keepers woeful

AI attack
Still too 1 dimensional team variety is quite bad, I didn't edit the Championship teams because klashman69 doesn't have them yet lol but Konami need to pull finger and fix this aspect for offline players. They seem to pour all the development resource into the money spinner myclub
The AI hardly ever crosses don't try Ling range shots and seldom do anything unexpected. I can see when I am about to concede and it's mainly down to being sucked out of position.

Ref
I am getting fouls but no penalties and far too many dangerous tackles are overlooked because of the advantage rule.

Can't think of any others at the moment but most of the negative issues are around the AI and how it approaches games. 1st sea's 'n though so will have to see how it plays out.

Okay have put plenty of time into my ML campaign

Positives
Commentary / sound
It's alot more varied now still repetitive but nice new elements in are good. Also the crowd sounds in the championship have a very English feel to it

Derby day
You finally get the feeling of these games now by far one of the best additions the PES offline can't believe people haven't mentioned this. The players with special traits which mean that they are on glowing red form is a very cool addition. The AI is very aggressive and the games are very intense.

Player development - greatly improved players get injured, players with good passing improve in the necessary areas and get additional points when they are having are having a good run of form. My 71 rated CF S. Coutinho went from 71 rated to 75
now and is an absolute menace. Many of the default players are actually pretty decent even if the have sub 75 overall rating

Transfer market
Good system I don't like my scouts but generally the way you can loan or setup deals is great. I picked up a decent RMF by looking for players who don't get enough game time and have struggled to sign good players (yes this is a good thing) it would be silly to sign a first team premiership division player for a championship.

I did however manage to get Alcacer on loan from Valencia but he was transfer listed and cost me my entire transfer budget on loan.

Negatives
Not sure if it's because it's 1st season n in Championship but apart from derbies the game is too easy on top player 1 bar assist
I am thumping teams 5,6,7 - 0
Their defence is bad and keepers woeful

AI attack
Still too 1 dimensional team variety is quite bad, I didn't edit the Championship teams because klashman69 doesn't have them yet lol but Konami need to pull finger and fix this aspect for offline players. They seem to pour all the development resource into the money spinner myclub
The AI hardly ever crosses don't try Ling range shots and seldom do anything unexpected. I can see when I am about to concede and it's mainly down to being sucked out of position.

Ref
I am getting fouls but no penalties and far too many dangerous tackles are overlooked because of the advantage rule.

Can't think of any others at the moment but most of the negative issues are around the AI and how it approaches games. 1st sea's 'n though so will have to see how it plays out.

Zemeister I think you're hammering other teams becuse of the 1 bar pass assist and you're in the lower division. You won't get a penalty unless you try the dive cheat. It must be the way that I play that the A.I varies their goals although the most popular one seems to be a high long ball into the box from midfield to be chested down and buried. .looks great! Btw I edited the keeper settings to at least 80 for the weaker ones as I find making defenders and dm's a destroyer turns it into a lunge/slide fest.

I hear ya Deco mate.

Is it not going to hamper player individuality. My pass accuracy is not great I only get 75% odd but it depends on how I play. It's dribbling through the weak defence that's a little easy will try manual tonight though.

I couldn't do this against Tottenham though due to their strong defence so maybe it's just lowly teams.

B-man I didn't say that you wanted people to stop playing. . it was a question put to you. Unfortunately there are reams of pages of people complaing about the game on all sites. .what would be the point of bringing it all back up? It's all been said. .."keepers are shite,they won't come off their line . .they can't save a low shot. .. r2 is overpowered/underpowered. . Defensive Ai is bad. .attacking A.i isn't varied . . no crosses from A.i. .low shots into the corner after cutting in . .. shots are too accurate/hard. . you can run through the entire team from the back with a centre back/dm. . no penalties/fuckall fouls. .refs are broken. . game is too fast.. .scores are unrealistically high. . .plays sluggish sometimes. . scripting is terrible . .no high/long shots from A.i . .same goals from A.i. .no transfers/formations are wrong" etc etc etc. We know all this!

As you said the reason the forums are quite is because some people like myself are happy playing it and some people have given up and some have defected to Fifa. Pes Russia and Gerd and a few others have gathered petitions to put to Konami about the faults and future improvements. Most of us enjoy pes conversation but like every year it dies down. it rises again after patches.

At least we both liked Pes 2014 lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear ya Deco mate.

Is it not going to hamper player individuality. My pass accuracy is not great I only get 75% odd but it depends on how I play. It's dribbling through the weak defence that's a little easy will try manual tonight though.

I couldn't do this against Tottenham though due to their strong defence so maybe it's just lowly teams.

The stats for the championship defences are poor . . tampering with the defenders and midfielders could affect individuality I agree, that's why I don't do it but not so much the keepers. . it doesn't turn them into a top keeper just gives them better reactions etc.

I hear ya Deco mate.

Low pass accuracy in level 1 support is mainly because the pass is scripted, the AI most of time will know where your pass will go so they can intercept it perfectly, but in the other hand level 1 passing will help your dribbling because you don't need the right body position and space between you and the defender to make a perfect pass. If you use manual passing, you need to think of the space and body position before you make a dribble run or you will easily lose the ball when the defender crowds you out.

The stats for the championship defences are poor . . tampering with the defenders and midfielders could affect individuality I agree, that's why I don't do it but not so much the keepers. . it doesn't turn them into a top keeper just gives them better reactions etc.

What stats did you exactly edit? I only edit def prowess and explosive power, do you edit their goalkeeping stats?

Low pass accuracy in level 1 support is mainly because the pass is scripted, the AI most of time will know where your pass will go so they can intercept it perfectly, but in the other hand level 1 passing will help your dribbling because you don't need the right body position and space between you and the defender to make a perfect pass. If you use manual passing, you need to think of the space and body position before you make a dribble run or you will easily lose the ball when the defender crowds you out.

What stats did you exactly edit? I only edit def prowess and explosive power, do you edit their goalkeeping stats?

Just the keepers. .I edited their speed, defensive prowess into low 70's and the rest.. goalkeeping catching clearing reflexes etc to at least 80, that was all.

For anyone who fancies a change from the current releases of football games, I've got to say something - Klash posted up a video of PES 2013 that looked pretty great in terms of how possession was being won and lost, with a greater variety of goals etc., so I thought I'd do something I never really do (I don't really believe in going backwards because you always lose something from the newer games) and bought PES 2013 for the PC, along with a 15/16 patch (Sun Patch).

My experience with it so far, is this - it's like a spell has been broken.

The first goal I scored was a quick pass into Sturridge (a few yards outside the box) who turned in a flash and kicked the ball with incredible power into the top corner. Totally unexpectedly. It was such a different shot than all the others I'd taken that game - because the contact was perfect. All the other shots were weaker, or misplaced, and the ball physics were different as a result. It was such a shock of a goal that it was like the game speed increased by 200% for that one shot. Totally out of the blue.

It reminded me that not every shot is the same in reality and that people kick the ball with different strength, or even different parts of the foot - but in the modern games, you get the same shot power and trajectory with one guy to the next.

The next goal was a daisy-cutter. Remember those? I hit a shot from miles out with Milner, and the ball barely left the ground as it hit the net. They used to be my favourite kind of goal to score. I'd forgotten what they looked like.

The last goal I scored, Lallana was standing near the back post as a cross came in, and he drove the ball into the floor and it bounced, hit the post and (courtesy of the side-spin) went in. It was a sliced shot, as well as being powered directly into the floor (good work Adam, see you at shooting practice), but the power took it into the net more than anything.

Now it's a honeymoon period at the moment and I know that, but at the very, very least, the whole exercise has reminded me of how much variation we've lost over the last few years. I remember when people used to say "you don't see the same goal twice in PES" and that was the case for me last night, whereas in the current game, I don't feel like I've scored a goal as much as I've been allowed to score a goal, and it's the same low shot or header each time. As for FIFA, there's more variety there, but not as much variety as this, and you don't feel the difference between shooting with one guy or the next.

All I know is, it's a blast scoring a goal that you haven't been able to score for the last three or four years.

So if you fancy a change, pick up PES 2013 for about 50p in your local game store's bargain bin... Even if all it does is refresh your memory and make you realise what it is you really miss.

Last edited:
For anyone who fancies a change from the current releases of football games, I've got to say something - Klash posted up a video of PES 2013 that looked pretty great in terms of how possession was being won and lost, with a greater variety of goals etc., so I thought I'd do something I never really do (I don't really believe in going backwards because you always lose something from the newer games) and bought PES 2013 for the PC, along with a 15/16 patch (Sun Patch).

My experience with it so far, is this - it's like a spell has been broken.

The first goal I scored was a quick pass into Sturridge (a few yards outside the box) who turned in a flash and kicked the ball with incredible power into the top corner. Totally unexpectedly. It was such a different shot than all the others I'd taken that game - because the contact was perfect. All the other shots were weaker, or misplaced, and the ball physics were different as a result. It was such a shock of a goal that it was like the game speed increased by 200% for that one shot. Totally out of the blue.

It reminded me that not every shot is the same in reality and that people kick the ball with different strength, or even different parts of the foot - but in the modern games, you get the same shot power and trajectory with one guy to the next.

The next goal was a daisy-cutter. Remember those? I hit a shot from miles out with Milner, and the ball barely left the ground as it hit the net. They used to be my favourite kind of goal to score. I'd forgotten what they looked like.

The last goal I scored, Lallana was standing near the back post as a cross came in, and he drove the ball into the floor and it bounced, hit the post and (courtesy of the side-spin) went in. It was a sliced shot, as well as being powered directly into the floor (good work Adam, see you at shooting practice), but the power took it into the net more than anything.

Now it's a honeymoon period at the moment and I know that, but at the very, very least, the whole exercise has reminded me of how much variation we've lost over the last few years. I remember when people used to say "you don't see the same goal twice in PES" and that was the case for me last night, whereas in the current game, I don't feel like I've scored a goal as much as I've been allowed to score a goal, and it's the same low shot or header each time. As for FIFA, there's more variety there, but not as much variety as this, and you don't feel the difference between shooting with one guy or the next.

All I know is, it's a blast scoring a goal that you haven't been able to score for the last three or four years.

So if you fancy a change, pick up PES 2013 for about 50p in your local game store's bargain bin... Even if all it does is refresh your memory and make you realise what it is you really miss.

As you can see from my sig mate, my patched PES 2013 on the PC was some of the best games I ever had. On the PS3 too was a great game I thought.

Here was a vid I did at the time of some of the goals and stuff. I think this was around Pro Evo 12/13 or so.

https://youtu.be/SIt0QM_jqIk

PS My Andy Carroll goal on around 8.25 I still think about to this day lol

Last edited:
master league is so strange im now in my 4th season the AI picks weird line ups like a 64 rated player instead of their 3 80+ plus who play in the same position also i havent conceded a goal now for 8 games where as before this wasnt an issue the AI would find a way past in previous seasons.. my team hasnt improved night and day either they just cant seem to score?

i have been using klashmans tactics for the AI but im wondering while this makes them more solid out of possession since they drop behind the ball is it limiting their attack? i played villareal in the europa league who have the konami default tactics and they beat me 2-0 in my previous season it was a really tough match so whats the general opinion klashmans make them play more life like but default make the game more challenged in defence any ideas?

master league is so strange im now in my 4th season the AI picks weird line ups like a 64 rated player instead of their 3 80+ plus who play in the same position also i havent conceded a goal now for 8 games where as before this wasnt an issue the AI would find a way past in previous seasons.. my team hasnt improved night and day either they just cant seem to score?

i have been using klashmans tactics for the AI but im wondering while this makes them more solid out of possession since they drop behind the ball is it limiting their attack? i played villareal in the europa league who have the konami default tactics and they beat me 2-0 in my previous season it was a really tough match so whats the general opinion klashmans make them play more life like but default make the game more challenged in defence any ideas?

Saintric did you edit the line ups and the subs bench?. .if they're not in the subs the com won't bring them on as they can't access them a lot of the time.

Hah, just popped in PES 2014 for the heck of it.

They have removed all the data packs from Xbox live it seems. So you're stuck with the 100 accurate and 10.000 inaccurate player faces forever. Not that I care too much, but thought it was quite funny. Another Konami screw up?

Not going to download all the patches, base game of PES 2014 was the best and most realistic, warts and all.

Pes 2014 was great. . they should have built on it instead of going back.

Thanks of your thoughts :)

I want to make this clear because from fans and people at Konami I get the banter of "There goes Bman being negative again just enjoy the game blah blah fart sound this is why don't read evo-web if you enjoy the game"

If you are enjoying PES 2016 great if you are not great too. My focus is not bashing the game but how to make the game better. I never say PES sucks or this aspect of the game sucks and not offer solutions.

I am also waiting for the inevitable "dude I played that game it was a crap arcade fest blah blah queef sound"

Let me reiterate, I have never played Football Kingdom nor do I care if it was a crap game. What I am getting at is the elements mentioned "shooting/ball physics, heading/nets" gave more visual satisfaction over 10 years ago then we have today...WHY? I would love for that question to be answered by a developer. Tech has improved so shouldn't these things improve or be at the same level today?

In my opinion, I don't care how big of a PES fan boy someone is or how much they hate PES---if you compare side by side youtube videos of Football Kingdom goals to PES goals of the last decade I don't know how anyone could without any bias say viewing PES goals from 08-16 gives them more visual satisfaction then watching those Football Kingdom goals. (And PES 6 was really good in this department but I think Football Kingdom has it slightly beat but both visual satisfaction was top notch)

There is always an excuse "who cares about nets"--well they add to the visual satisfaction/immersion of scoring a goal, "who cares CPU A.I. shots go low its all about the build up to the goal"--well if you are seeing the same A.I. goal time and time again doesn't it take you out of the immersion?, "Who cares about fouls it keeps the game fluid and flowing"--because free kicks and fouls are a fundamental part of football. etc. etc. etc. Always an excuse for why details have been lost or diminished over the years.

I'll end my post with this, if I had never played PS2 PES, or seen videos of Football Kingdom goals then I'd probably enjoy PES 2016 a helluva a lot more. Seriously. But the reality for me is I'VE PLAYED BETTER, I'VE SEEN BETTER..10 years ago...smooches

Spot on.

Watching highlights on PS2 from far away of tv, goals looks so authentic and realistic. It looked real. Ball effect, curves and dip far more variated.

Slightly off-topic, but on PES 2013 (with a 15/16 update), as Liverpool, I beat Chelsea 3-2 in the ML (Superstar), and put together a little highlights package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZmhloMxYGE

The real highlights for me are these bits:

Chelsea goal one (00:01), the CPU rounds the keeper. I don't see that any more.

Liverpool goal one (00:27), Sturridge turns away from the defender and shoots, so I'm expecting it to be tame (because I'm not facing the goal). He powers it into the top corner (because it's on his favoured foot). In the current games, I don't think it'd go in because I'm not facing towards the goal when I shoot, but it's with his left foot and he's in a position where he can swivel and drive the ball.

Liverpool shot that's saved (00:40), the keeper saves a hard shot by forcing it into the ground and rebounding it away. These kinds of saves in the current games result in the ball flying off aerially 100% of the time, don't they? Presumably to stop easy rebound goals, but that's not realistic.

Liverpool goal two (00:58), it's a hard low shot the way it should be done, with real venom. It's so different in power to the other shots, even the Sturridge goal.

Another Liverpool shot that's saved (1:45), the keeper pushes the ball onto the bar. Okay, I have seen that in the modern games, but not often, and it just seems right in this scenario (the keeper uses strength to hit the ball away, it's not "limped" onto the crossbar).

And that's just from one match...

Desperate to get back home and play it again...

Last edited:
EDIT - I have pes 2013 on my PC still I think i might check it out dont think i ever played it much

not as far as i recall deco? juventus seem to bring on cuadrado when i play them but start with there new signing some 60 rated kid whos is useless seems to happen all over the leagues odd rated players being started infront of better ones i think its a case they sell a player in that specific position and replace it with a new signing no matter how crap they are

my goalkeeper hasnt really helped the AI he is pulling of insane saves like this one in the last minute i almost put the controller down thinking well thats a goal plus one he did vs salah of roma cross came salah header it and my gk spread himself mid air and saved it lol crazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyyyE412Rws

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom