PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

I happen to disagree.

Played every ISS/PES there has been. Loved many, hated many.

Though the feeling of awe I got back in the WE6:International and WE7 times is a memory I hold very dear, I appreciate that, with its flaws, PES 2014/15 allowed me to build plays and dictate the tempo of the match like no game before.

Progress has been made. The game has a greater depth. I have not tried 16 yet, but am very much looking forward to it. PES 6 hit a sweet spot of gaming dynamics, but is much further from the real footy than these latest games are. And it was too with its exploits and bugs.

I remember back in the time we would be happy if the next PES brought a handful more animations, a couple new mechanics and some licenses. Now we put every inch of the game under the microscope to nitpick it's flaws. And honestly I believe we sometimes drive the Nokami guys crazy with our feedback. I happen to love PES2014 for its realism, yet it was panned by most for its depiction of player weight and inertia. I wish we had been more patient and let Konami explore that direction further, yet the community screamed "bring PES 6 back" and we got arcadey PES2015.

I don't know what to expect anymore...

I have to agree with what you said about Pes 2014, I was still playing it up until the pes 2016 demo. I honestly believe that they should have persisted with it instead of going backwards with Pes 2015.

Alas it's gone now and we have to get used to the new style of game. Just hope it doesn't slowly morph into Fifa. Still and all really enjoying the demo and looking forward to the full game.

This is where I stand on the PES 5 talk...

I saw a goalkeeper on the PES 2016 demo perform one of the best saves I've ever seen in a football game, and I was properly stunned. I hit a bending shot through a crowd of players from a half-cleared corner, and he saw it very late, but dived, and got half a palm on it to divert it JUST wide of the post.

I was in awe of this, so I went into the replay mode to save it and upload it with a caption along the lines of "okay, maybe this game has potential".

When I zoomed in, what ACTUALLY happened was this - the ball actually rocketed PAST his hand, towards the bottom corner, and then hit an invisible wall and shot out of play...

So. Point one. When you have that happen, how are you supposed to feel anything other than "well that's scripted bullshit, I got the ball past him and so the game had to put an invisible wall there"? At that point, what incentive do you have to play the game if it can "cheat" its way out of trouble?

But in regards to PES 5... I saw the same thing happen in that game, and the ball go through people's heads, gloves, goalposts... At the time, it was acceptable, because it was a great game otherwise. The fundamentals were brilliant. But seeing that today - whether you're playing PES 5 or PES 2016 - it's not really on, is it.

I think that there was more variation in the shooting because of the lack of 360 degree control - so when you point towards the goal at a 45 degree angle from the centre of the field and press the shoot button, the game created its own "story" about exactly where the shot ended up. Yes, with the help of the player's attributes, but A) not entirely, sometimes the difficulty level seemed to slow up your player and throw your shot off, and B) now we're into a whole new discussion... What's more important in a football game? That the user doesn't feel their input is pointless (I vote for this), or that the player is disallowed from hitting the perfect shot because of the player's attributes and a bit of "random chance"?

They're different games with different merits, but I personally prefer the modern angle. But this DOES subtract some of the famous PES individuality - and to be blunt (and possibly look like a troll, but I promise I'm not), there is very little in the PES 2016 demo. Purely my opinion, but playing as Palmeiras against Roma, for example, it A) feels the same to me as when I'm using any other demo team and B) ends in the same result as using any other demo team, usually, via fast, counter-attacking, Barcelona-passing.

(There's manual options available that would allow me to play on a lower difficulty and see a different game, I realise, but that's not the way I want to play the game. I'd rather feel like I was playing a simulation than making Bayern Munich pass like a pub team, and crippling the opponent's intelligence...)

I think it's possible to mix player abilities and manual shooting (and passing)

rcsf_manual_shooting.jpg

I gave the demo some more hours and recognized - after a year of absence - what my problem with the passing is.
PES 2011 had the best passing system.
Passes went to where I wanted them and when they didnt I knew it was my fault and nothing wrong with the game.
But since they brought up that passing assistance levels with PES 2012, I always struggled to find the right assistance level.
Often I load up the power bar to the maximum to pass it to someone more far away but a player who is in the same direction and quite close to me receives it anyway.
Also vice versa, i tap the pass button only but a player who is more far away receives it.
I had that with every PES after 2012 and now with PES 2016 on level 1 too.

As it quite bugged me I forced myself to switch to manual passing (but basic shooting) and even I played really shitty at first I got it quite a bit after a few matches.
Its a little tough but the stuff mentioned above doesnt happen no more.

Gonna work on this, manual passing is the way to go for me.

Had some nice games even the CPU bashed me on professional 3:1, 2:0 etc etc.

Great post and no one can deny that Konami are the ultimate 'could do better company' in the games industry. They are ruining the legacy they made even out with PES games.

PES 2015

PES 6

Are these the videos in question ?

What i don't get here is why people look at from such a conditioned awareness.

In PES 6. This game is 95% assisted/on rails/in 8 directions. Its a 'Automatic' game.

0% of the development within the PS2 games went into manual shooting or giving out the freedom to shoot directly how you want and 100% of development went into the game providing a variety of 'pre-canned' outcomes when pressing the shoot button. Also take into account the 8 directional movement so scripted 'miss' variables MUST be added and generated since players can get into certain positions with regularity so high percentage 'miss' outcomes are needed so shots have variety. Hence why its a lot harder to score.

In PES 2015, You have much more freedom and fluidity in moving in 360 degrees into that 45 degree angle compared to PES 6. Now answer this question: We all play real football right? Now what exactly is stopping Van Persie from aiming the shot at the corner? If you got outside an try to score fro just outside the 18 yard box taking the same shot over and over, how many times with no pressure whatsoever would you miss hit the all so bad it will go past the near post?

Now yes its clear the shots are a little too accurate AI really stress a LITTLE! Since due to the advanced fluidity and freedom. Its not Scripted PES 6 style 'CPU says NO' and the shot goes wide anymore. There is more freedom now and you can shot and pass where you want without automatic restrictions on the weight and type of shot.

The difficulty comes from the opposition getting in the way and not giving the space for such a clear shot and hassling and barging you.

Games have moved on so far from PES6, your not going to get anywhere wanting the game to back to that.

In PES 6. This game is 95% assisted/on rails/in 8 directions. Its a 'Automatic' game.

0% of the development within the PS2 games went into manual shooting or giving out the freedom to shoot directly how you want and 100% of development went into the game providing a variety of 'pre-canned' outcomes when pressing the shoot button. Also take into account the 8 directional movement so scripted 'miss' variables MUST be added and generated since players can get into certain positions with regularity so high percentage 'miss' outcomes are needed so shots have variety. Hence why its a lot harder to score.

In PES 2015, You have much more freedom and fluidity in moving in 360 degrees into that 45 degree angle compared to PES 6. Now answer this question: We all play real football right? Now what exactly is stopping Van Persie from aiming the shot at the corner? If you got outside an try to score fro just outside the 18 yard box taking the same shot over and over, how many times with no pressure whatsoever would you miss hit the all so bad it will go past the near post?

Now yes its clear the shots are a little too accurate AI really stress a LITTLE! Since due to the advanced fluidity and freedom. Its not Scripted PES 6 style 'CPU says NO' and the shot goes wide anymore. There is more freedom now and you can shot and pass where you want without automatic restrictions on the weight and type of shot. the difficulty comes from the opposition getting in the way and not giving the space for such a clear shot.

Games have moved on so far from PES6, your not going to get anywhere wanting the game to back to that.

Which is why the individuality in PES 6 was far more superior than PES 2015. Since every thing is mostly assisted, it's pretty easy to take account of the player stats to where the ball is going to head rather than the PES now.

Now yes its clear the shots are a little too accurate AI really stress a LITTLE! Since due to the advanced fluidity and freedom. Its not Scripted PES 6 style 'CPU says NO' and the shot goes wide anymore. There is more freedom now and you can shot and pass where you want without automatic restrictions on the weight and type of shot.

The difficulty comes from the opposition getting in the way and not giving the space for such a clear shot and hassling and barging you.

With PES 6 and previous iterations I never had the feeling i had any control over the game. I was always fighting the controls instead of enjoying the game, but at that time it was the only good football game. Till this date I believe what ever tactic you would chose, or what ever formation you chose it would not make a difference because the AI would always create a prefixed outcome. I am glad they stopped all the scripting. I want to have control, but I think both games have a long way to go. I don't understand why it is so hard for KONAMI to create a script that uses percentage of a certain player and the input of a player to create an outcome. for example Messi has shooting 90 + input of the player = % accurate of where you aim the shooting. Would make more sense. this would also create a depth of skill. The same would apply for defending. Stats and player inputs should decide a match. This would also create very good and skilled players who can play against each other on competitive level by training and not by luck.

non sense. point is that assisted shooting from an 8 yrs old game offers much more variety than a current one's assisted. period. no one talks about other stuffs, dunno why always everyone bring up how old and outdated that game is in return in every other areas, wich is true. but still, dont get it. we are talking about shooting and its variations.
but if you guys want i can bring up any FIFA game nowdays too i just wanted to remind you what PES was once and more importantly what it is now. garbage when it comes to shooting, hope they somewhat can tweak it till the release but i fear shooting will be like this until they change engine.

so Tevez fouled the Bayern player or why did the ref raised his flag for the 2nd time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUEhal8H8Ss

anywho about the PS2 days. i also miss the quick substituion option in the start menu. i hate to go in the gameplan screen just for that

I agree the menus has to much button pressing we have to go 4 layers deep just to do something. Fifa's menu is quicker and better this is what PES lacks.

Last edited:
I don't see the problem i'm reading here with fouling in the demo.
I get a card when i deserve it.
If i get the ball no card or foul.
If i go through a player to get the ball it's passably a card.
I got a straight red card when i slide tackled Tevez to stop a goal chance.

There are 3 ways to defend, i can't remember the buttons when not playing, so here it goes.
I think pressing L2 gives you (soft defending) "less chance to get a foul".
2 taps on x button i think (med defending) to steal the ball "more chance for fouls"
circle for a slide tackle (strongest riskiest defending) if not perfect it's cards!

It's way better then last years card fest.

Last edited:
I think that there was more variation in the shooting because of the lack of 360 degree control - so when you point towards the goal at a 45 degree angle from the centre of the field and press the shoot button, the game created its own "story" about exactly where the shot ended up.

Excellent point, this is spot on and something I guess we all need to factor in to any compariisn between old and new.

Most of you guys fail to understand this has less to do with KONAMI and more to do with Eastern Game Development culture.

Excellent point that cannot be overstated. They are no longer leading the industry anymore and haven't been since the end of PS2 days.

The tech and graphics advancements that are going on at Western developers like Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Rockstar & Turn 10 etc. is generally leading the way in the console space now. Japanese AAA gaming is no longer what it was for the most part in the cutting edge stakes at least.

I still think Winning Eleven 7/PES3 had the best wow factor (Collina!!!). Maybe because of the dramatic changes gameplay and graphic wise compared to the older series.

This ... by far the biggest advancement and improvement and features added from one version to the next imho, played like a dream apart from the stutter bug, how do I still remember that bug to this day ... Man I feel old.

Most of you guys fail to understand this has less to do with KONAMI and more to do with Eastern Game Development culture.

PES 6 and prior to, was great simply because Game Development was simpler (relatively speaking). Dev teams where a lot smaller then. With the unveiling of NEXT GEN (Xbox360,PS3) game development was elevated thus requiring more man power and time. Most Eastern studios, KONAMI being one, didn't adapt as well as the Western Studios. This the sole reason why PES was terrible for the most of Xbox360,PS3 era.

Companies like EA relished in that era because they had the resources to and it is apparent with the evolution of FIFA starting from FIFA 07. The tables turned. THE SIMPLER DAYS WHERE NOW OVER.

AND I STRESS...The FOX ENGINE saved the PRO EVOLUTION SOCCER series. We absolutely need to understand this.

It was also more guided by individuals, which made it feel a bit more personal. People like Seabass, the lead designer who was essentially the football game equivalent of Louis Van Gaal - constantly speaking about his philosophy for the series.

To this day I have no idea who makes the big decisions when it comes to PES.

how does FIFA's assisted shooting offers that much variation then nowdays? it doesnt have 8 directions
The amount of times myself and others hit the post on assisted shooting in FIFA tells me it doesn't have a *huge* variation...

I switch between semi and assisted against the AI, because with semi I either hit it straight at the keeper or wide, and with assisted the shot isn't diverted wide enough of the keeper to score the easiest-looking goals.

Offtopic
Sorry klashman i respect you very much, but that is nonsense !It is no coincidence that after 10 years , people still love this game, play this game .They are not idiots . I have not stopped , almost every night playing online 2 vs 2.

Everything is automatic and on rails? Do you seriously think that today's games are more "complex , difficult , deep" ?

You talk as someone who has never played PES 6 ... saw it on a pictures or read for the game only from books ... if you have failed so far to see variations , freedom, the depth of the gameplay of PES 6, it is pointless for me to begging discussion and to draw to you , step by step why and how PES 6 is better in several aspects from all modern football games.
:COAT:
/Offtopic

Has anyone on here managed to master the 'Advanced Through Ball' on this demo ?

I just can't seem to get to grips with it - Am I to try and move the yellow cursor into space ahead of the striker or aim it at his player model ?

Also the power do you have to hold it down a while then release to power it up.

At the moment all I mostly get is weak little chips or slow passes going to a player in between me and the one I am trying to put through. Read somewhere that you can apply curl and backspin to it also ? I can't seem to find any tutorial videos on it or people talking about tips for it on the net.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

non sense. point is that assisted shooting from an 8 yrs old game offers much more variety than a current one's assisted. period.

Gabe, your falling heavily into my point but not understand what i said whatsoever. I didn't at all say that PES 2015 had more variety in generate shots, i know PES 2015 R2 shooting is easier. I've said all year PES 2015 was rather basic! Thats the whole Point. The newer games give you a lot more control and make it easier!

The variety in PES 6 is because the game was heavily automatic and it was vital for there to be a large scripted variety of shots! Because that game would almost be pointless without it since in 8 directions its so common to get into certain positions every game all the time so the AI needs to fuck you over unfairly!

My point is you showed how PES 6 was harder to score the same shot all the time than PES 2015 which i didn't try to disprove, infact what i said what you proved to people like me isn't a positive thing one, its a big negative on PES 6 pat compared to PES 2015. If the CPU in PES 6 decides its not your day, no matter your skill level and how you place the shot, its going wide or over!

The shooting system we need is the ones used in PES 2011 when shot technique was still about and the best was PES 2013 which had the best system where body position was so vital to hitting shots right. Those games where in 360 degrees and provided some goals which the PS2 games just couldn't dream of.

In PES 2015 it was too easy to get your body in balance to hit the shot the same all the time. I remember saying this to you a number of times. Thing is i don't want to go back to the scripted PES 6 method where the CPU decides how the sot ends up and just generates a scripted 'miss' variable. Where is the control? if i miss the shot its because my body position was wrong or i didn't catch the power bar properly, i don't want to go back to 'CPU says no', and you miss.

Also on PES6 having more individuality than the newer games its not just i disagree. I think people so badly, BADLY forget football was a far better sport and had more world class unique players in that era which stood out. Players are rather generic these days compared to back then. The world of football in general has gone downhill in terms of this aspect. In my Every 4 Years patch we recreated many classic teams and compared the gameplay from 1998/ 2002/ 1994 etc.. to the 2014 and Its so much better and more fun with more personality to play with classic sides compared to football nowadays.

PES 6 even with all the best latest patches just don't compared to the game released out of the box because modern football just isn't the same quality.

Offtopic
Sorry klashman i respect you very much, but that is nonsense !It is no coincidence that after 10 years , people still love this game, play this game .They are not idiots . I have not stopped , almost every night playing online 2 vs 2.

Everything is automatic and on rails? Do you seriously think that today's games are more "complex , difficult , deep" ?
:COAT:
/Offtopic

See the thing is here at Evo Web you can surround yourself with old school like minded people who grew up playing this game and many who's gaming interest peaked when this game was released and say yeah its the peak of all football gaming. Thing is how is that different to some of the teenagers i work with who just laugh at ALL PES games and would just call you dry and say why not just play FIFA which is live like all their mates do? You can call them noobs but its your words against theirs?

In the same way you can find communities of people who only play PES 2013 which also has a giant community of people who don't play the newer games and continue to edit that.

I played quite a bit of PES 6. Its not even close to for example 2013 in terms of depth. Things like dribbling for me especially in PES 6 is just childs play in my book, its fun, its nostalgic is still a classic game. But nah, it don't have the depth which has been added in some of the newer games. To be honest the only thing i see in PES 6 and 5 i haven't seen since is the general balance of everything fitting together so well.

We can debate about the newer games being compared to PES 6 but its all own opinions.

I wont stop however bringing the issue up where peopled loved PES 6 for example and are just determined to shun all new aspects brought in since and want all new PES games to just play like PES 6 in HD.

You talk as someone who has never played PES 6 ... saw it on a pictures or read for the game only from books ... if you have failed so far to see variations , freedom, the depth of the gameplay of PES 6, it is pointless for me to begging discussion and to draw to you , step by step why and how PES 6 is better in several aspects from all modern football games.

If you want i can upload some of the goals i scored with Sevilla on Shollym's patch :))

I did do a league mode with Arsenal but quit after winning 6-1 vs man United the 3rd game its as just easy.

Last edited:
Has anybody else noticed that on the PS3 demo the CPU very very rarely crosses a high ball from the wings? Unless it has a corner or sometimes it dinks a little chip in if it has dribbled into the penalty area.

This is beginning to bug me now and I have played against all the different teams to see if it was a change of style. Even when I try to 'force' it to cross it, it refuses preferring to dribble into the box or pass low across the box. It's really annoying as it is getting into some excellent positions on the wing and I'm thinking "just whack that ball into the penalty box" but it doesn't. Also their keeper rarely takes a long goal kick.

I have been enjoying it very much until I noticed that, it was the same in PES 2015 too.

PS for those saying PES5 was scripted, not for me it wasn't. By concentrating hard enough you can overcome what feels like a script coming (for example defending late goals by the CPU takes a lot of concentration) The game maybe 10 years old but at least it had crosses and fouls in it. Simple things like that being left out of a game 10 years later is an absolute joke. I really hope they sort it out but I'm guessing they won't. :(

All football games have cheating AI. Its how well its balanced

At the time it was fine but in 2015 i think the things u couldn't control then weren't as issue like they would be today.

I guess it's just difficult for me then...

Nope... not just for you mate.
I'm on Top Player and I can tell you it's difficult for me. All of a sudden I suck at PES when I used to win matches pretty easily on Top Player.

Adam Bhatti talking about how challenging the game is and here everyone is saying it's easy on superstar, so what is the case?

It is challenging. At least for me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Bhatti may feel is challenging, while others may not. I never won a game on Top Player with +2 goals.

Thanks for confirming - I can at least try and ignore it now.

If you have something like a Sony W 6 & 7 model TV I believe it will enable the 4:4:4 PC mode with the Game mode and you will get true 1:1 pixel mapping and also still be able to boost colours if need be. These TV's by Sony are designed to bring the best out in PS4 and I will be getting a Sony TV next time.

@darkoj2007

Thanks I see we agree on the colour issue - clown colours at the circus indeed ;)

Yeah TV has been tint and white balance tweaked to push the most colour possible in PC mode but still looks bad with PES ONLY ... Arkham Knight, GTA, BF4 etc. all look great.

Its because normally in PC mode you would be able to boost or correct the colours up using Windows graphics options but that I'd not possible with PS4 so slightly less sharp Game Mode but with greener turf is the compromise for me with this current TV from Samsung.

I think it would be awesome to have a TV Settings thread. I'm kind of a freak about this too. I find myself pausing the game every 3 or 4 matches to change settings. Sometimes I feel very satisfied with what I've done and after a couple more games I'm like... "meh... let me see what I can do about this".

I'm currently playing the game on PS4, on a Samsung 50'' SmarTV (UN50FH5303). Trying to lessen the color saturation whilst trying to maintain some vibrant-green turf.
Turn Sharpness to 50 (out of 100) and I think it looks better, although after reading some of your comments I'm considering lowering it even further.

Background light: 17/20
Contrast: 70/100
Brightness: 60/100
Color: 65/100
Sharpness: 50/100
Tint: 50/50

And then I have lots of different options like gamma (-2), HDMI black level, RGB and RGB Gain, etc.

I still think I could get more out of it, but I'm lacking the knowledge, or the good luck. LOL.

Haven't posted here in ages, but had to jump into the whole "variety of shots" discussion. The issue I'm having is that, yes I have total control, but that means the shot outcome is based more on the accuracy of my fingers than any simulation based on the human being I'm actually controlling.

Compare to the NBA 2k series. If I shoot in full manual mode based on a player's release point and shot type, I can get good enough as a gamer to hit that release 'very good' or 'perfect' 95% of the time. If I'm controlling LeBron James I expect a very high % of those shots to go in, and they do. If I'm controlling some scrub, or a big man with poor outside shooting stats, a very high % of those shots will not go in even if I do everything right as a gamer, because it's unrealistic and the stats matter.

In PES I feel that the game has become more about my twitch abilities with a controller instead of the individual players I'm controlling. Even with full manual, if I attempt the same long pass with Pirlo 100 times pressing the buttons 100% the same exact way every time, I should expect a higher % of completed passes than if I attempted the same 100 passes with Chiellini. It should be the same with shots. Human beings are not robots and if I hold a thumb stick at the precise angle and press the shot button with identical pressure I should expect different outcomes depending on who I'm controlling.

When I played PS2 era PES I was cognizant of who I was comtrollin because the same exact input to the controller could have a drastically different output during a match. Call it the game "fucking with me" or anything else you like, but it was much more realistic in the way I approached the representation of the sport of soccer on my tv screen. It also forced me to create tactics and strategies that placed the right players in situation that allowed my team to take advantage of their potential. Playing the '16 demo vs my son as France, I never give a shit about who has the ball and where because if I hit the buttons perfectly I'll make a great pass or shot. I never go into the game plan screen to change tactics because it doesn't make a huge difference.

To me this is the soul of a soccer game and PES has unfortunately lost some of that soul.

Back
Top Bottom