PES 2016 News & Discussion Thread

Lemme drop my three cents in.

Allow me to preface by saying, I am with this franchise since like 2004, when my uncle first borrowed me his copy of PES 3. Barely got to play it (lost my PC), but the seed was sown. Only three years later I was able to finally play on my own, it was PES 5 on PS2. Year after that, PES 6 on PC pretty much until today. All the anger does not come from hate, quite contrary - from feeling hopeless and defenseless against Conami's actions, especially ones taken against its very own, hardcore fans and players.

Being the PC cheater bandit who hacked the demo and pirated all PES games he has (so 6, 2014 and 2015, first two on my shelf, last one on Steam) and having no friend with console and free time near to me, I cannot say a word about demo itself.

I am reading all kinds of opinions and they do not surprise me. Average-good, 3.5/5 PES 2015 (which is enough to beat best FIFA) won so many awards, so much hype and glory, why would Great Conami ever bother with any meaningful changes.

So far all pros you guys are listing sound like a bugfixes and not a features to me. New collision engine (contrary to no collision engine in 2015) is something we, customers have deserved - a bugfix to a broken feature. To read that these things still happen sometimes frighten me.

When did we switch from buying new game to buying new bugfix patch every year?

Don't get me wrong, PES 2015 has many strengths - and manual which I've tried few weeks ago makes it that much more fun - but, as always with new PESes, amazing features are paired with horrible mistakes and bugs Conami refuses to accept. Hence where my worries became reality - they do not need to bother with anyone's feedback. Twitter is overflowing with lovely vines and amazing random bits, but the vibe I get across all PES forums is that not much changed. Especially in penalty box action, where shooting ang goalkeepers are still so bland it is actually not even funny :/.

And what about gamemodes? ML will probably get few new interfaces. More licences than ever meant only paid DLC next May/June? What about online? I tried to get into it this year, if it wasn't for horrifying input lags it woulda been extremely fun. Not to mention Establishing Communications(TM) and not being able to play the game I paid for online for first few weeks.

I cannot do anything about it. WE cannot do anything about it. Conami does as it pleases. They refuse to respond to any meaningful feedback. Certain well-known manager outright blocked some smaller PES Youtuber (PESEP) for asking about lag cheaters, when receiving all the praise for game being good and promoting shitty fifa people who don't even know how to game.

My heart breaks a little when PES-people I follow send some feedback to Conami and receive no response. All the opinions about game becoming FIFA-like are worrying too.

I see people here bashing PS2 era games. Eight directions, okay, limited passing, I agree with you. Somebody mentioned word consistency and this is the point you are missing. Objectively, only good things about PES 5/6 are shooting and goalkeepers. Passing is mediocre, physics or AI is nothing to talk about. What you are missing is fact that all elements of gameplay blend together into beautiful game called football. All features work together and create a believable football-like environment. Meanwhile in PES 2015 scoring a header from corner is impossible (I managed to do it a few times across ~250h on Steam), collision engine does not exist, player awareness is laughable, goalkeepers let in funniest of shots, etc. etc. etc.

See what I am saying - PS2 PES is a consistent game, that creates consistent environment, where everything that happens simply makes goddamned SENSE. Contrary to PES 2015, where some elements are amazing (manual passing <3) and some are so outright illogical and shite, best case scenario bland, you want to smash your controller.

Handicaps in ML are ideal topping for this mix of honey and shit. Principle is good, it existed in PES6 too, but it never made me feel I cannot turn things around without playing cheaply. In my current PES 6 ML as Deportivo I was 6th in my first season in mixed Serie A-La Liga first division. That haven't happened to me in like three years - and I am happy about this! Meanwhile in PES 2015 only once I ended below 3rd position (Auxerre, first ML and first season in L1 on Superstar) and every season was filled with rage and anger. I won Eredivisie on Top Player as Go Ahead Eagles after so much screaming and heartbreak winning title was not even funny. Later on manual alleviated some of the problems, but not all of them.

To sum up, just as somebody else said above, I cannot love the PES anymore. KONAMI will become Conami, Disrespectful and Ungrateful Company #1. I intend to keep following the game and check PC demo if it will come out, but I don't think I will buy it. Even if outside of Steam game is way cheaper (paid 23€ day one compared to 40€ on Steam) I don't think a bugfix patch is worth 23€. Other gaming company I follow, Paradox Interactive, releases DLCs to their two flagship grand strategy games every three months. Most of features and tons of bugfixes come in a free patch, some exclusive stuff that doesn't change the game that much comes in 15€ worth DLC. PES 2016 seems to change as much as one of these DLCs. Except that with Paradox's games I will get a changelog hundreds of lines long, a forum where I can chat with developers (who visit forum every single day) and share my opinion on game just like many other people, and certainty that if there are bugs, there will be fixed, most of them instantly with a hotfix released day or two after patch/DLC.

Compare that to Conami.

If Conami hates its fanbase and just wants to sell the game, I will become a customer. And why would any conscious customer pay ~25€ for a bugfix patch? Not to mention you, console guys, who have no other choise.

And if you made it thru, just a reminder. This comes from a sheer hopelessness, from being shat on and not being able to do a thing about it. I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO SAY ALL OF THIS. Believe me, I don't. My gaming heart broke in half.

There you go.

Last edited:
If Konami would make a PES5-6 HD remake and put it on PSN e.g for 20$ it would sell like hot cakes..

If Konami made a PES 5 HD remake, with updated teams and kits to represent the new 2015/16 season - I would be all over it.

Still the best football game that's ever been released! :WORSHIP:

Im picking up the notion that the people who keep mentioning PES 5 and 6 just want a game that has restrictive shooting and 6 points of turns!

Lets be honest 6 point turning is not exactly realistic is it now?!

I think that alot of it is down to nostalgia...it seems to me that you have put the older games on a pedastal, therefore no matter what you dont get as much enjoyment from newer games....

For me Rainbow 6 and MW 1 are the best multiplayer experiences i have had, and despite there being better games my nostalgia tendencies play a part in me not fully enjoying the newer games.

This new PES is more fluid and more REALISTIC than the older 6 points of turns PES... admittedly tho the older games were harder.. but is that down to resctive movements and limited shooting.. i mean now with all the new angles and fluidity scoring, passing and dribbling are much easier to a skilled player.
You are crazy.

PES 5 blows PES 2016 out of the water.

So it's down to nostalgia? Is that why most of us haven't enjoyed a football game for 10 years? Pes 5/6 makes me sweat, it makes me feel legit joy when scoring goals, it brings up feelings like a real football match on tv. Pes 2016 has that buried deep inside but it gets lost sometimes with the lack of animations and lack of variation. I bet Adam is still sitting at home with his ps2. 100%.

I've recently got into the madden series, I've tried the newer ones, but the one I actually enjoy is nfl 2k5 on the xbox/ps2. It has soul and basics just right like pes 5/6. And I havent touched nfl 2k5 until now, so it has nothing to do with nostalgia. You feel when a game is good. It requires a brain though.

Last edited:
sometimes i feel thats one of the reasons why we struggle with a horrible shooting system for 3 years now.

1. few of the people love manual shooting, thats okay
2. most of the people forgot what a good shooting system is and they set what they get especially after a horrible year of 2013/2014

but why? i dont know. i dare anyone just to try a PS2/PSX Pro Evo for one game, you wont enjoy the basic shooting in 2016 at all after that

PES 5 was good but the features and fluidity is far superior in PES 2016, its technology, it elvoves and gets better.

PES6 was fantastic AT THE TIME, but this is better.

Amen. I played Pes6 last week on PS2 and I forgot how the gamespeed was fast. And I admit that I can't play now a football game which has not manual commands - although PES6 had manual passing but it was not easy to use, you had to click R3

Human v human is where PES has always been at its best and still is. Personally any game offline will be scripted, it has to be surely? Add some human error and it's a cracking game

sometimes i feel thats one of the reasons why we struggle with a horrible shooting system for 3 years now.

1. few of the people love manual shooting, thats okay
2. most of the people forgot what a good shooting system is and they set what they get especially after a horrible year of 2013/2014

but why? i dont know. i dare anyone just to try a PS2/PSX Pro Evo for one game, you wont enjoy the basic shooting in 2016 at all after that

Well, even I enjoy the demo still, I feel that in a way too.
In the PES 2015 discussion thread someone (forgot who it was) made a comparison video.

In PES 6 he chose Van Persie and took a shot on the goal in the same position and same kicking power for like 10 - 20 times and the ball never took the same trajectory.

He did the same in PES 2015 and every shot looked almost identical.

That´s quite sad tbh.

Great post and no one can deny that Konami are the ultimate 'could do better company' in the games industry. They are ruining the legacy they made even out with PES games.

In the PES 2015 discussion thread someone (forgot who it was) made a comparison video.

In PES 6 he chose Van Persie and took a shot on the goal in the same position and same kicking power for like 10 - 20 times and the ball never took the same trajectory.

That´s quite sad tbh.

PES 2015

PES 6

Are these the videos in question ?

That´s quite sad tbh.

yes you could do this in training mode with the rewind option. i remember rewinding with the ball mid-air, then shooting, then rewinding, and like you say the ball goes different place everytime. the shooting was limited, yes, but there was a lot freedom within these limits.

in 2015 there is the technology for total freedom but yet less variation than ever

2015 , 2016
8q9v_pro_evolution_soccer_2015_20150817205318.jpg

lv40_pro_evolution_soccer_2016_demo_20150817205444.jpg

i think that was me, im obsessed with shooting xD

lol yeah, I think it was you.
Couldn´t forget about that.

It´s quite a shame. Dunno what´s the reason for it.
Did the ball have more freedom there, were the ball physics better and is it a problem to implement that in the fox engine?

No idea...

Great post and no one can deny that Konami are the ultimate 'could do better company' in the games industry. They are ruining the legacy they made even out with PES games.

PES 2015

PES 6

Are these the videos in question ?

Yeah exactly, thats what I meant.

I guess I´ll try full manual then.
Played a bit and the passing is ok, but I totally suck at manual shooting.

The ball goes miles away from the goal every time :)

Last edited:
yes you could do this in training mode with the rewind option. i remember rewinding with the ball mid-air, then shooting, then rewinding, and like you say the ball goes different place everytime. the shooting was limited, yes, but there was a lot freedom within these limits.

in 2015 there is the technology for total freedom but yet less variation than ever

Agree. The above PES6 video shows it very well how the R2 shooting should be implemented.

Unfortunately the timing is not very important anymore, now you have to press and hold R2 than shoot, in PES6 you could do it after square and the timing was important.

Also liked, that with the weak foot, the shot went to center and was softer.

Keepers seemed to be more agile as well, even the animations for R2 shots are much better.

Three things I'm finding increasingly annoying:

1) When I'm dispossessed, my player pauses/stutters for a moment. I can understand the design decision for this, to allow for the transition of possession, but it's weird and unrealistic.

2) Similarly to 1), sometimes when I make a successful tackle my player doesn't properly retrieve the ball, allowing the attacker to get up, retain possession, and continue with play. It's frustrating, and I've conceded a few goals where I make a tackle only for the attacker to retain possession but in a more advantageous position.

3) Shooting inside the box is odd. Maybe because it's too automatic, lacking in variety, not enough error. Dunno, but I score a good number of goals that just feel kinda cheap.

I have already covered this, you NEED to press X after the slide tackle button. This will help you retain possession. I do this because the defending trailer Konami released covered that.

As for the shooting, try shooting with no assists from different angles!

Oh i just watched the PES6 shooting video up there, i think its a moot argument because:

1. we cannot see how much pressure your adding to the left analog stick.
2. On the third shot you were at a different angle.

Last edited:
stop posting PES5 or 6 videos etc

who cares. That was then PES16 is the now. If you dont want or like it dont buy it.

PES6 was great for its time. That time was nearly 10 years ago. Move on.

yeah buddy, it is O THEN X or O if you just want a clean slide.

I stumbled across it on youtube :)

but trust me it works flawless, well so long as you time it right. Enjoy :) tip.. De Rossi is the master!

who cares. That was then PES16 is the now. If you dont want or like it dont buy it.

lot of people care about ballphysics. i know its not about nets and these arent pages full of Football Kingdom comparisons only 3 posts about ballphysics but still :) read the posts please before you go all out on us. thanks

i mean no harm when i say this but those complaining about how fantastic the pes 6 shooting was ( and it was good i may add limited but good) you either are looking at PES 6 in rose tinted lenses or are the most deluded people i know.

People can post whatever videos they like if it adds to the 'discussion' comparisons are bound to be made especially when someone is asking why the company that makes both games can't make the modern 10 years later version with the variety of shots it once had on a weaker console 10 years ago.

I hadn't seen those videos and don't play the old games now, so it was interesting to see how it isn't just nostalgia with some exact things and mechanics in the game really did have more variety back then.

Sry, disagree.

I´m certainly not crying back at PES 6.
It was a good game back then, but I never played it again.
In fact I wouldn´t like to.

But we´re making a comparison about a variety of shooting.
And variation should be a priority in a game of 2015.

Plus, I believe that the limit on trajectory in today´s game steals a lot from the magic.

The proof is in those vids.
Again, I´m not talking about the whole game os PES 6!.

If one still got a different opinion, cool.

That´s the way it is, yep and we have to accept it.
Guess I really have to switch to manual shooting then.

Back
Top Bottom