PES 2015 Discussion Thread (PS4/XB1)

This kind of shit is doing my box in

Through balls are not as hard to stop as many people seem to make it appear when playing myclub online. I think there are several things that can help to improve defense. They can actually help you to win a lot of games given there seems to be a wealth of players that only know how to score using that type of tactic. If you take away through balls out of the equation they literally don't know how to do anything else.

1. Coach and tactics. I play a 41212 formation. The coach has all out defense and wide coverage mentality. That helps on 2 accounts. First, players drop back immediately as soon as I lose the ball. Second, they position themselves in such a way that more often than not they intercept the balls when the opposition tries to send through balls down the middle.

2. Pressure. My strategy to pressure depends on where is the ball on the field. If Im on the last third of the pitch and I loose the ball on a bad pass, I send double pressure. That way I can either force a bad pass and recover the ball while catching the defense on its back foot. Also it sends my DMF the opposite half of the pitch where it can help to recover the ball or put pressure on the opposition player that receives the ball is on that area.

Now as soon as the ball reaches midfield, double pressure is out of the question. I use a combination of L stick, R1 and x to pressure and try to retrieve the ball with any of my midfielders (I try not tu use R1 as much to save stamina). Sometimes the opposition player slips through. If that is the case, I only press from behind keeping an eye on passing lanes. If I try anything else, as in sending double pressure o anything involving my defenders, thats what creates space for the through balls. On that regard, I prefer giving away the opportunity for a 40yd strike than for an easy through ball. In any case as long as Im able to keep the pressure on the ball carrier, those shots don't seem to be that accurate.

Furthermore, the benefit of not actively playing your defenders is that if they have a good link with the manager, they know where to place themselves. If the opposition is not patient enough to try and beat your defense through any other means different to through balls, this results in plenty of interceptions. If they are patient enough that means that they will
corner you in your box eventually getting the the ball to their strikers in front of it. That is when I actually play with my defenders being careful to always make sure I can cover movements towards the center of the box. Sometimes they get through, sometimes they don't, but at least I make the opposition fight for it.

3. Players. My DMF and 2CBs are rated 79 (good but not spectacular). My LB and RB are 75. I did notice that when I introduced them to the team, and had low team spirit, they were more prone to errors. Now that they have developed full links to the manager they are pretty good in terms of positioning and interception.

Last edited:
Personaly I think they should just forgot about modes altogether and spend all their energy getting things sorted on the pitch.

It's concerning that Konami haven't felt the need to release any gamplay patches yet for PES 2015, even though the game needs some adjustment. Not a good sign for PES 2016.

It's concerning that Konami haven't felt the need to release any gamplay patches yet for PES 2015, even though the game needs some adjustment. Not a good sign for PES 2016.

I don't think it's something they can fix in a patch. These problems are hard coded into the game (have been for years. I honestly can't see any proof of a new game engine because I'm seeing the same fundamental issues year in, year out.
I'm starting to wonder if they have the talent to bring PES up to the standards expected of current games

I don't think it's something they can fix in a patch. These problems are hard coded into the game (have been for years. I honestly can't see any proof of a new game engine because I'm seeing the same fundamental issues year in, year out.
I'm starting to wonder if they have the talent to bring PES up to the standards expected of current games

Good post totally agree mate.

+1

Through balls are not as hard to stop as many people seem to make it appear when playing myclub online. I think there are several things that can help to improve defense. They can actually help you to win a lot of games given there seems to be a wealth of players that only know how to score using that type of tactic. If you take away through balls out of the equation they literally don't know how to do anything else.
Thanks for sharing your approach. This sounds great!
I was wondering if there was indeed a way to combat the through-balls. At least with some degree of success, doesn't need to be a perfect solution every time.

Try to contain or press an opponent midfielder and change your controlled player to your defender to make a good position behind opponent attacke before any throughball.. sometimes using intuition.. :p This is to intercept.

Agreeing here as well.

I´d go that far and suggest KONAMI either to sell the franchise or to fusion with another game dev company.

Rubbish this game is good. Dont be so melodramatic fgs

Re: Throughball it's not a problem reading it - its the my defence going daft when it's about to happen. Lots of times I watch my backline and the defenders do something daft like that step out of position or they have this glitch like twitch away from the ball.

The catchup bug at least stopped that shit from happening now it's a free for all with pacey players.

Last edited:
It's not being melodramatic though. This game isn't as good as we all thought initially.

It's the scoring goals I hate, most important part of football! It feels empty. It all feels so automated.

Tried online for last time earlier. It's horrible. Button lag every match. FIFA is so smooth compared.

And what's with the loading times?! Everything takes ages, like going back to front menus etc. is it because I have lots of Edited stuff?

I don't trust Konami to ever give us diehard fans what we want. It's sad but I think the PES series is dying a slow death now, can't see there bring many more years left for it.

Now as soon as the ball reaches midfield, double pressure is out of the question. I use a combination of L stick, R1 and x to pressure and try to retrieve the ball with any of my midfielders (I try not tu use R1 as much to save stamina). Sometimes the opposition player slips through. If that is the case, I only press from behind keeping an eye on passing lanes. If I try anything else, as in sending double pressure o anything involving my defenders, thats what creates space for the through balls. On that regard, I prefer giving away the opportunity for a 40yd strike than for an easy through ball. In any case as long as Im able to keep the pressure on the ball carrier, those shots don't seem to be that accurate.
This is the same way I defend. I also never use the double press. Everything for the good shape of the defence. It works pretty well for me. This way the through-passes of the opponents are restricted to the minimum.

Any news on PES 2016? Hoping they get a new director.

You should hope it stays the same if you want a better Pes.
Pes 2015 needs to be improved on not totally changed, so it's better that Masuda stays at his place.

Last edited:
This game is feeling very samey to me now the more i play it - sometimes playing against the AI you just know what is going to happen - there is little to no unpredictability - had a game of the fifa demo again and the difference is night and day - instantly had fouls- ball was completely unpredictable, keepers solid and then all the glitz on top - - what to do..

This game is feeling very samey to me now the more i play it - sometimes playing against the AI you just know what is going to happen - there is little to no unpredictability - had a game of the fifa demo again and the difference is night and day - instantly had fouls- ball was completely unpredictable, keepers solid and then all the glitz on top - - what to do..

You've summed it up better than I could. It gets boring after a while doesn't it? All the different stuff that is happening in my FIFA career mode compared to what is happening in my PES Master League is shocking really.

PES 2015 is two steps forward, three steps backwards for me.

The scripting on the higher difficulties really ruins this game.

Far too many defenders going to sleep allowing the ai to get to a loose ball, or deciding to jog after a ball despite you holding sprint to allow the ai to catch up. there's even a few times you can see an ai goal coming as the players follow a pre determined path to goal, usually the untackleable run or the wing, cut inside, curl into far corner goal.

And you know its scripted because the sodding dire commentary often tell you they've intercepted your pass or dodged your tackle... BEFORE it even happens!

Last edited:

Glad you can switch between the 2 games. Tried fifa the other day, after a while, and couldn't continue to play. Not that it's bad as much as it does not feel like a football game to me. Animation, soulless players and game-play as a whole. I really like PES this year specially that I am playing offline with full manual controls. I don't know about the predictability..it does seem unpredictable but again, maybe the full controls are making all the difference.

Last edited:
Glad you can switch between the 2 games. Tried fifa the other day and couldn't continue to play. Not that it's bad as much as it does not feel like a football game to me. Animation, soulless players and game-play as a whole. I really like PES this year specially that I am playing offline with full manual controls. I don't know about the predictability..it does seem unpredictable but again, maybe the full controls are making all the difference.

Agreed. PES has its issues on the field and especially off of it, but it feels good to play. I can't play FIFA in its current state. Not that the game is bad at all. Off the pitch it's terrific. On the pitch however, it just doesn't feel right to me. Konami need to continue to improve the gameplay and really put some resources and effort into the edit mode and Master league this year. Still so much potential there.

2. Pressure. My strategy to pressure depends on where is the ball on the field. If Im on the last third of the pitch and I loose the ball on a bad pass, I send double pressure. That way I can either force a bad pass and recover the ball while catching the defense on its back foot.

This how real teams also play.

For an enjoyable game, both attacking and defending should be difficult. I guess this might sound contradictory for online players, but at least for us offline players it is the clear target.

So I don't mind defending being challenging as long as there is some progression, or at least the occasional new theory to test. As far as through balls by superstar CPU are concerned, I have made some progress, but I can't say I have solved the issue.

Tactically I am using man marking, double man marking and fluid formations. Usually I mark with CDMs in a 4-2-3-1 formation. But to me the more interesting thing is what I try to do on the pitch during gameplay. The way I am approaching through balls currently, when the ball is in my half, is by simply trying to contain the player with the ball, waiting for a bad pass or a good occasion to steal the ball with a single press of the pressure button. I can't really put any pressure on the player with possession, because otherwise he will use my momentum and his speed to create room to make the pass or shoot. So I have to keep a healthy distance from the attacker. When it works it actually looks like real football: defender tracking the movement of the attacker, waiting for the attacker to make a move or a mistake.

This approach clearly reduces the number of through balls, but it is hard. Not only does the attacker have the advantage of my reaction time, but the CPU also has millisecond precision, so it can make some nifty moves pretty quickly. Even with speed -1, it's hard work for me. But I wasn't born with a controller in my hands.

I have heard that some players have had great success in reducing through balls by controlling a defender in the back four, and using teammate pressure to contain the opponent having possession. The controlled player tracks runs and intercepts. The player upfront is ordered to pressure, but the pressure is released at the moment the attacker is contained. (Starts to sound very much like successful defending in Fifa using "teammate contain." Let's pray that Konami doesn't take the idea of automatic containing seriously.) This isn't for me, though, if there is any other way of playing this game successfully. It's just... really weird.

Some people here say that defending against superstar is easy. I would like to see 10 minutes of their gameplay in a league (not exhibition) away match (not at home) against a strong team which has strikers in arrow up -condition. For me some of those matches can be very hard, so I have obviously still a lot to learn. But that's just more entertainment for the same money, right?

Far too many defenders going to sleep allowing the ai to get to a loose ball, or deciding to jog after a ball despite you holding sprint to allow the ai to catch up. there's even a few times you can see an ai goal coming as the players follow a pre determined path to goal, usually the untackleable run or the wing, cut inside, curl into far corner goal.

It's just so jarring when you have two players running towards the ball at the same speed and one of them slows down to allow the other to get the ball first. It's not even subtle.

It's just so jarring when you have two players running towards the ball at the same speed and one of them slows down to allow the other to get the ball first. It's not even subtle.

yeah the cut inside , pass turn and shoot is always there and its the same goal over and over or a very small variant of it.

I dont get to play that much with my current schedule but had a couple of hours over the weekend and got bored of the same stuff. originally it looked like football but im thinking there's a lot of script to try and make it look like football rather than being truly free - the same staggering animation in a tackle is also starting to really annoy me - when a player in real life is tackled they can react and win the ball back - but not in this when you are tackled the player stumbles, doesnt react and the other player is long gone..the guys who invest hours and hours into this must be seeing it too

There at least a couple of years away from making this a decent game with the new engine,
It does not look right. It does not feel right . Oh and online is a bag of shite

I have one of the fastest broadband speeds and when my player is through and I press shoot , I can almost make a cup of tea and a sandwich and he still has not shot. In this day and age that is garbage.
I used to moan about pes 2013 because of certain faults within the game, but I take it all back. It blinds this rubbish.

Last edited:
There at least a couple of years away from making this a decent game with the new engine,
It does not look right. It does not feel right . Oh and online is a bag of shite

I have one of the fastest broadband speeds and when my player is through and I press shoot , I can almost make a cup of tea and a sandwich and he still has not shot. In this day and age that is garbage.
I used to moan about pes 2013 because of certain faults within the game, but I take it all back. It blinds this rubbish.

I feel your pain. Online is A MESS. It's unplayable at times.

I've just posted in the FIFA thread but that game online is SO SMOOTH. And you don't sit there waiting 3-4 minutes for an opponent every time either.

I have excellent internet speeds yet playing PES 2015 online is like I've got Dial Up internet from the 90s!

The thing is, who actually trusts Konami to bring us an online game in the future which works well and has interesting modes i.e. a ranked 2v2 Co-Op competition etc? I don't. They will just give us 200 new player faces, a cat in the master league screens and 1 extra stadium.

Really had it with the series. It's so sad, I grew up with WE and PES. But the time has come, I will not be wasting any more money on their half arsed attempts at gaming. They haven't caught up with the times and charging 40 quid for PES 2015 is a joke, there isn't enough to do and there isn't enough content.

It's fun to play if mates pop round and that's about it.

To summarize:

* Can't change camera angles online.
* Automated shooting - scoring goals feels empty.
* Lack of Matchmaking online doesn't - Newcastle v Real Madrid every time? Come on Konami!
* Dated menus, it's 2015 not 2005.
* Soundtrack contains like 3 songs.
* Commentary still awful
* Spammed lofted through ball still too easy to pull off and score from
* Every player is capable of scoring a pile driver, doesn't matter if they are defender or striker
* BUTTON LAG online makes game unplayable at times
* Lack of content i.e. stadia, interesting game modes
* NO Ranked Co-Op matches, always a friendly - at the same stadium!
* Master League is very stale, such an empty mode now - gets boring after 10 matches

Last edited:
I would think everyone who has played this game has conceded 95% of their goals Vs Cpu like this. shme really but Ive never conceded a goal from a lovely move or cross. Just the ball through the middle with my defenders freezing.

Out of curiosity took a look at nine CPU goals from TheTrueBrits' challenge series. Judge for yourself: here they are for your enjoyment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMZhsTQNh4&t=2m30s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMZhsTQNh4&t=4m30s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMZhsTQNh4&t=11m10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj3JwCnWmj4&t=4m18s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj3JwCnWmj4&t=9m15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj3JwCnWmj4&t=11m45s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I-XYDDL1ME&t=4m10s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I-XYDDL1ME&t=6m40s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I-XYDDL1ME&t=9m10s

Last edited:
Some of those goals we we can see the CPU is going to score no matter what.
Anyway, I wish I had half of that variation in goals in my master league on Superstar.

Some of those goals we we can see the CPU is going to score no matter what.
Anyway, I wish I had half of that variation in goals in my master league on Superstar.

I am getting all sort of goals playing offline. Some sessions through ball goals occur but not all the time. On exhibition games I honestly don't see much of these goals.

Nah, fuck it!
Had enough of this game for now. It's driving me nuts.
For every 1 thing it has going for it, there's another 3 holding it back.

Glad you can switch between the 2 games. Tried fifa the other day, after a while, and couldn't continue to play. Not that it's bad as much as it does not feel like a football game to me. Animation, soulless players and game-play as a whole. I really like PES this year specially that I am playing offline with full manual controls. I don't know about the predictability..it does seem unpredictable but again, maybe the full controls are making all the difference.

Agreed. PES has its issues on the field and especially off of it, but it feels good to play. I can't play FIFA in its current state. Not that the game is bad at all. Off the pitch it's terrific. On the pitch however, it just doesn't feel right to me. Konami need to continue to improve the gameplay and really put some resources and effort into the edit mode and Master league this year. Still so much potential there.

I agree with you both.
Used to love FIFA when I first bought it on PS4. But now it just feels emotionless.

I also have PES on the same platform, but I'm only enjoying it on PC. Because on PS4 it just lacks too many stuff that you can get for PC right here and from many other websites.

All that's left for me to fall in love with PES completely is to be able to tweak cameras anyway I want. I really miss Jenkey's tool.

Back
Top Bottom