PES 2015 Discussion Thread (PS4/XB1)

Luckily this year they've finally done a pretty good job. This year does have shortcomings and further issues will become clear over time, but it's the first title I've played where the single player genuinely seems to have legs, where the general balance of the game means there are a lot more possibilities, a lot more scope for creativity within the confines of player ability, and far fewer gamebreaking flaws.

I appreciate that there will still be a subsection of this and all other forums who will go overboard in their criticism, just as there are those who will deny any knowledge of any issues with the game. There is always a tendency for cliques to get caught in a vortex of confirmation bias, one way or the other. I'm not interested in going either way - I'll gladly identify problems, but I won't shout every single one of them out at the top of my voice as though they're all unforgivably, horrifically broken. There are middle grounds, and balancing a football game is impossible if you only work in extremes.

Right now, nothing about the gameplay is as obviously 'broken' as they were in the previous 3 titles, or PES 2008-2010. There are issues, but none as major as were prevalent in those titles when I tried to get into a ML. It's a shame there aren't enough fouls, but I still get fouled often - yesterday I scored a free kick from the edge of the box and a penalty after the keeper was sent off. I've only had one sending off and I fully deserved that, while generally speaking I'd say the bookings I concede feel fair.

Shooting from range is a bit too accurate, but I don't score from them that often - it's more that the shots get saved often or fly a foot or so high/wide. I feel like I can mostly defend anything a lot more effectively than in 2014, when I often sat there wondering why everyone in my penalty area was just watching the opposition winger dribble through / run onto a loose ball. There are a few 'gamier' aspects of PES compared to FIFA, but these ultimately lend to a closer overall representation of the tactical depth of football, which I value above fluency of animations, responsiveness of players or what a keeper looks like when landing after a dive.

I could write at length about improvements I'd like to see, in gameplay or otherwise. But so far (which, granted, is the sort of caveat you're talking about), PES 2015 is comfortably the most balanced football game I've played since the PS2 era. It still has imperfections and the odd piece of outdated tech, but I genuinely feel like there are more possibilities, more potentially effective styles of play and more ways of stopping them than I can remember being in any recent PES or FIFA. There's still a lot of old tech in here, but what matters to me is the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Right now I get that, and I feel a lot more connected to the cause of my players on the pitch as a result. For all my efforts I never really got that from FIFA, and I've only really got that from PES 2011 MLO (as the single player left me cold).

Brilliant comments and I couldn't agree more. And I agree again with your suggestion (from your previous post) that PES 2015 reminds of FIFA 08 (or was it 07?) in being a breakthrough year.

There's a lot that's not perfect with this game but so far - and admittingly I might still be in that "honeymoon" period with the game, not having played hardly any PES at all in recent years - the sum of this game's parts plays a very satisfying game of football.

After feeling a bit fed up of PES's stiffness (and having not played FIFA for a month), I thought I'd have a game for a nice change of pace, for a breath of fresh air.

eJpSwFk.jpg

4-1 after 20 minutes.

It's a strong thing to say, but it's a kids game. It really is.

Back to PES for a while longer, I think. It feels great to appreciate the game that much more than usual this year. :D

You kown what Chris, i did the same thing after the frist few days of PES, and i ended up with the same kind of feeling as you, fifa is a too simplistic game compared to PES, too straight foward and without any need of football IQ or strategy... wich in the end makes a cheap rewarding experience.

Dont think ill be playing fifa any time soon, and now that im more adapted to PES, im starting to get used to it wich is making the weird animations and stiffness got barely unotice... my feeling is that this game keeps getting better and better with new things(type of goals, saves, dribles) and every match feels unique, exactly how I felt in the good old days of pes6.

If you're using the Defensive strategy, just change that one. But presumably you'll have to change it for both With Possession and Without Possession, within the Defensive set.

I really like the tactical options provided by Fluid Formations, but the way you have to set it up is both confusing and time consuming.

As I understand it, with Fluid Formations you basically have nine different tactics to set up (three strategies x three formations each). And I haven't found any way to make global changes or copy changes, I've been altering everything individually so far.

Also you only have one lineup, so... that has to comply with all your nine formations if you plan on switching between sets on the fly, otherwise you're very easily going to end up with players in wrong positions.

It's also a bit confusing that the Offensive set appears to be considered your default set, rather than Custom.

Son of a... now I'm so confused... nine different tactics... wtf I thought it was just three?

There's so much about this game I still need to figure out. And to pile on, I just tried myClub and holy shit that's confusing.

So in MyClub where you play with fake teams there's home and away fixture, but in La Liga, a licensed league, not only we don't have the real schedule, but have to endure the same ol' situation of 4 straight home matches, 3 straigh away matches.

Konami...

Can you change the net tension at all?

Also will be interesting to see what Konami spends their time on in the next few months...hopefully they can work on improving the lighting via patches. Playing the demo the other day I noticed some of those odd animations where the player goes to shoot and he pulls his arm in by his side. Looks so odd :(

After feeling a bit fed up of PES's stiffness (and having not played FIFA for a month), I thought I'd have a game for a nice change of pace, for a breath of fresh air.

eJpSwFk.jpg

4-1 after 20 minutes.

Back to PES for a while longer, I think. It feels great to appreciate the game that much more than usual this year. :D

Was that against human or AI, if AI what difficulty cause I can get score lines like that atm on regular on my club against AI, I'm a fan of both games and I strongly disagree, fifa is a game for kids, on top player, it's harder to have a shot on goal than PES to be honest, both have strong negative issues, but to say fifa is for kids strongly disagree. Also the ability to do long shot in PES is too easy, with fifa you really have to earn the space for a shot, But credit to PES you have to earn that space in midfield, which is why a lot of us love the game.

Last edited:
C'mon now. It's ok to have some banter and fun but that's going a bit too far.

Let's refrain from all this personal stuff now.

Love the way players sometimes contort their bodies this year for difficult headers. Occasionally they really put their neck into it.

Superstar on MyClub is just ridiculous.

I have a fairly modest team but I can win most of the games against CPU on Top Player, unfortunately this is a curse worse than death because Superstar is just awful, the opposition will only ever pass to a free player, I like to cover off these passes so the AI eventually passes back to the keeper before starting another laser guided attack around my players.

The worst bit is that superstar essentially makes the opponents amazing. I played against a team full of defaults and C. Woodrow (the mega-shit default player) scored a hatrick after sprinting past Javi Garcia and smashing one in off the post.

You have to play anti-football to win at this level and it's completely down to luck of the draw with what tactic you're up against.

Love the way players sometimes contort their bodies this year for difficult headers. Occasionally they really put their neck into it.

I noticed this as well, it makes them seem infinitely more realistic.

What's with the usage of R2 and passing?

Didn't notice the difference with it.. Are there any difference compared to normal passing?

Other than the animation associated with using the R2 trigger, I haven't noticed any difference either in the actual pass. Could be wrong though...

Had first online match just now. Got a match within maybe 30 sec. Kid from Japan. Lost 4-1. Juve vs Arsenal. Japanese commentary is legendary even if I dont understand shit. How is this dude Japan pressing me the entire game and his stamina is good as fuck ?

How are you getting good connection with player from japan? :| does it even have english menus?

I believe if you choose English text and Japanese commentary, all the club names and players should be in English. I could be wrong though.

Lami, do you notice difference between R2 passing and normal passing?

I couldn't notice it. Neither did Ipswich (a couple of posts above)..

Yesterday evening i had one of those classic matches, and that was a long time ago...
I currently play a Euro League with Sevilla.

Progressed through the group stage, then eliminated Anderlecht. Next team was HJK Helsinki who had eliminated a bigger club (can't remember which one).

Home leg.

I somehow underestimate Helsinki (Sevilla should be clearly the best of both teams...), i go gung ho and miss lots of chances.

Helsinki is deadly on the counter and at half-tim i'm 2-0 down. In the second half they sored a third one on the counter and then i decide that i should change tactics. After 55 minutes i decide to play a more patient way, with my back line further down and i tinker more with tactics...it helps, in the end Sevilla wins the game 4-3. The last goal in injury time, being a beauty....

Like i said, that was ages ago.
I'm far from an hardcore gamer and i also think some PES fans are way too harsh about FIFA. As a finished product, FIFA is better than PES. On this forum is a game developer wwho also played some football and he told me that technically PES is garbage in every department when compared to FIFA. But he also said that as a football game it's far more superior.

I'm not a game developer. I'm a football freak. I was an average football player, but excelled in what people now call Futsal (represented my country more than 50 times) and i'm a very good youth coach. So, i might know a thing or two about football and how you have to think on a pitch. And that is were PES excells. Even the worst PES games felt more like football than FIFA. Very broken games like PES2013 and 2014 felt more like football than FIFA.

As a bad gamer, i have the impression that after the splendid PS2 games (but 6 was already the start of the decline), Konami wanted to make things more complicated. Too complicated IMHO.

People say that PES2015 isn't a real current gen game...they might be right, i wouldn't know. But i don't care. This game is big fun. Is it a real simulation ? I don't think so, but i don't really care...

Konami should build upon this base and in future downloads and games, treat us more like customers...some of us deserve that, they owe us one (i continued to buy every game from 6 to now, most of them were terrible, the only one i really played a lot was 2011).

But unfortunately i totally agree with Chris Davies' post...if this one doesn't sell beyond expectations, i'm very pessimistic about the franchise...

So all the people who still see only the negative things in this game (and it has some clear flaws): feel free to see the negative aspects...it's a free world. But don't complain if in 3 or 4 years there is only one football game.

Lami once you switch to English everything becomes in English. Absolutely everything. Ive had maybe 10 online quick matches. All Japanese players. ZERO lag. Felt like it was vs CPU or multi player. Zero button lag as well.

That's fabulous.

Thanks.

eJpSwFk.jpg

4-1 after 20 minutes.

Well that's no surprise, you're playing Ultimate Team. :ZZZ:Perhaps I'm not a god at FIFA, but I've yet to encounter any scorelines that resemble 9-2 during offline play sessions. I play on full manual, World Class, slow game speed and adjusted sliders. Now, I won't argue that a lot of FIFA's design decisions cater to the "casuals" and make for unrealistic gameplay (good luck trying to have a proper game of football online), but this is a poor example.

Lami once you switch to English everything becomes in English. Absolutely everything. Ive had maybe 10 online quick matches. All Japanese players. ZERO lag. Felt like it was vs CPU or multi player. Zero button lag as well.

Is that a fact? Going to order that then! J-League here I come.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening i had one of those classic matches, and that was a long time ago...
I currently play a Euro League with Sevilla.

Progressed through the group stage, then eliminated Anderlecht. Next team was HJK Helsinki who had eliminated a bigger club (can't remember which one).

Home leg.

I somehow underestimate Helsinki (Sevilla should be clearly the best of both teams...), i go gung ho and miss lots of chances.

Helsinki is deadly on the counter and at half-tim i'm 2-0 down. In the second half they sored a third one on the counter and then i decide that i should change tactics. After 55 minutes i decide to play a more patient way, with my back line further down and i tinker more with tactics...it helps, in the end Sevilla wins the game 4-3. The last goal in injury time, being a beauty....

Like i said, that was ages ago.
I'm far from an hardcore gamer and i also think some PES fans are way too harsh about FIFA. As a finished product, FIFA is better than PES. On this forum is a game developer wwho also played some football and he told me that technically PES is garbage in every department when compared to FIFA. But he also said that as a football game it's far more superior.

I'm not a game developer. I'm a football freak. I was an average football player, but excelled in what people now call Futsal (represented my country more than 50 times) and i'm a very good youth coach. So, i might know a thing or two about football and how you have to think on a pitch. And that is were PES excells. Even the worst PES games felt more like football than FIFA. Very broken games like PES2013 and 2014 felt more like football than FIFA.

As a bad gamer, i have the impression that after the splendid PS2 games (but 6 was already the start of the decline), Konami wanted to make things more complicated. Too complicated IMHO.

People say that PES2015 isn't a real current gen game...they might be right, i wouldn't know. But i don't care. This game is big fun. Is it a real simulation ? I don't think so, but i don't really care...

Konami should build upon this base and in future downloads and games, treat us more like customers...some of us deserve that, they owe us one (i continued to buy every game from 6 to now, most of them were terrible, the only one i really played a lot was 2011).

But unfortunately i totally agree with Chris Davies' post...if this one doesn't sell beyond expectations, i'm very pessimistic about the franchise...

So all the people who still see only the negative things in this game (and it has some clear flaws): feel free to see the negative aspects...it's a free world. But don't complain if in 3 or 4 years there is only one football game.

Nice one gerd.

Why isn't drek posting his thoughts here though?

I'm not a game developer. I'm a football freak. I was an average football player, but excelled in what people now call Futsal (represented my country more than 50 times) and i'm a very good youth coach.

Wow! We should be proud having you in this forum! Congrats on your achievments. I think this is a very important opinion, coming from such an real life experience.

This place is fun.

It's a bit crazy and OTT at times.

At other times it's really interesting, deep and intellectual.

Either-way, I'm loving it.

I know a game just like that.....

Also the ability to do long shot in PES is too easy, with fifa you really have to earn the space for a shot, But credit to PES you have to earn that space in midfield, which is why a lot of us love the game.
I've scored long shots in FIFA with Glen Johnson (I uploaded a video of it in the FIFA videos thread) and commented on how it was the best goal I've ever scored in a football game and yet it didn't feel satisfying in the least, because A) it was Glen Johnson and B) it was just miles away from reality. Midfield play doesn't exist in FIFA.

There's merits in the game absolutely - responsiveness and freedom of movement, ball physics, all that's superb and a hell of an accomplishment - but if at the end of the day you see (on average) 5 goals a game, with 10 goal thrillers once a week, then... Clearly that stuff doesn't count for much. (In my opinion!)

Well that's no surprise, you're playing Ultimate Team. :ZZZ:Perhaps I'm not a god at FIFA, but I've yet to encounter any scorelines that resemble 9-2 during offline play sessions.
Neither have I, offline play in FIFA is the best it's ever been (but still broken when it comes to defending IMO, the kick-off bug shows the AI failures in that department). Online, it's terrible. It's 2014 (not 2055) so AI isn't going to be blissful and ever-unpredictable yet, so I'd rather test myself against another human being. FIFA may be fun online (clearly it is to the vast majority if you compare the popularity of FIFA and PES), but it's as far away from football as "Mario: Strikers Charged". In my opinion...

(As for the "manual" comments, not even going to go there because it's been done to death. All I'll say is, if I have a world class player in my team, he shouldn't be kicking half of his passes out of touch because I've only got one hour a night in which to practice using full-manual controls. I shouldn't have to "train" to play a game... PES is great without having to be full-manual so that's just an excuse, sorry, enjoy it your way, but allow me to enjoy it my way like I always have before...)

Sorry for taking the thread off-topic, it was a cheeky screenshot\post, but the point was to say "let's be thankful this is the best PES for many years"... :D

Last edited:
Son of a... now I'm so confused... nine different tactics... wtf I thought it was just three?

There's so much about this game I still need to figure out. And to pile on, I just tried myClub and holy shit that's confusing.
The three strategies are not the same as (do not equal) Fluid Formation. I think that's the most easily confused part.

You can switch between Offensive(main), Custom and Defensive strategies manually with up/down on the d-pad. If you have Fluid Formation OFF, they will use the Kick-Off formation of each strategy (so there's your first three).

If you have Fluid Formation ON, it uses the With Possession and Without Possession alternatives within each strategy. So there's two more per strategy, taking your grand total to nine.

Although I guess (don't know) that the Kick-Off one isn't used with Fluid Formation ON, it's only the With/Without Possession that get used? If true, you 'only' have six to deal with.

I'd also like to figure out what the AI uses. Sometimes you see them switch between Offensive and Defensive strategies. Do they ever use Custom? Do they use Fluid Formation? Do they always start the match on Offensive(main)?

It's far from a triumph of UI design, that's for certain, but I'm still intrigued by the possibilities.

Came home from gym and found this in the mailbox from FedEX :). Time to finally do less talking and more playing.

Will be streaming this soon and if you guys have any questions feel free to ask. I can't wait to try online and see how long it takes to find a match.

Cheers.

78b446817c14dfc87c4a4ffa82bd5dd4.jpg

I thought by your opinions that you actually had the game?:SHOCK:

Enjoy

Came home from gym and found this in the mailbox from FedEX :). Time to finally do less talking and more playing.

Will be streaming this soon and if you guys have any questions feel free to ask. I can't wait to try online and see how long it takes to find a match.

Cheers.

I'm thinking of getting the Japanese WE2015 like you have. How do the updates work? Could you just put the disk in and play right away, or did you have to set-up a Japanese PSN ID, log out of your North American ID, log into your Japanese one and get the update?

Also do you have to be logged in on a Japanese ID (a) every time you want to play the game, (b) only when you want to play online or (c) only for data updates?

Many thanks for any info.

I am very much enjoying this game. Not comparing it to the other game or other past games, just this game on its own is a joy to play with. Each match is different, each player feels somewhat different and with the tactics system, its lots of fun on the pitch. Off it, as many has said, is miles behind to any other sports game but I can live with that.

Editing each English team (apart from Arsenal and Aston Villa) almost each team has their own actual call name. Having the ability to set rival teams is a nice touch as well and it seems to be quite fun so far. Japanese commentary just makes it that much more fun.

Does this game have its flaws, of course it does. Player speed is an issue, but if we slow down play, its not TOO troublesome for me, and I can live with it so far. Slow reaction time isn't really that slow to me, as I anticipate what happens, so it doesn't bother me that much.

I hope they will build on this for the future, but even as it is, I can play this for a year at least. I just hope (as previously stated) that the sales for this will be great and they take a step in the right direction. Konami is a company that goes with money first now so if the money doesn't come in, they will change it so money will...and that usually doesn't reflect well in terms of gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom