PES 2015 Discussion Thread (PS4/XB1)

Luckily this year they've finally done a pretty good job. This year does have shortcomings and further issues will become clear over time, but it's the first title I've played where the single player genuinely seems to have legs, where the general balance of the game means there are a lot more possibilities, a lot more scope for creativity within the confines of player ability, and far fewer gamebreaking flaws.

I appreciate that there will still be a subsection of this and all other forums who will go overboard in their criticism, just as there are those who will deny any knowledge of any issues with the game. There is always a tendency for cliques to get caught in a vortex of confirmation bias, one way or the other. I'm not interested in going either way - I'll gladly identify problems, but I won't shout every single one of them out at the top of my voice as though they're all unforgivably, horrifically broken. There are middle grounds, and balancing a football game is impossible if you only work in extremes.

Right now, nothing about the gameplay is as obviously 'broken' as they were in the previous 3 titles, or PES 2008-2010. There are issues, but none as major as were prevalent in those titles when I tried to get into a ML. It's a shame there aren't enough fouls, but I still get fouled often - yesterday I scored a free kick from the edge of the box and a penalty after the keeper was sent off. I've only had one sending off and I fully deserved that, while generally speaking I'd say the bookings I concede feel fair.

Shooting from range is a bit too accurate, but I don't score from them that often - it's more that the shots get saved often or fly a foot or so high/wide. I feel like I can mostly defend anything a lot more effectively than in 2014, when I often sat there wondering why everyone in my penalty area was just watching the opposition winger dribble through / run onto a loose ball. There are a few 'gamier' aspects of PES compared to FIFA, but these ultimately lend to a closer overall representation of the tactical depth of football, which I value above fluency of animations, responsiveness of players or what a keeper looks like when landing after a dive.

I could write at length about improvements I'd like to see, in gameplay or otherwise. But so far (which, granted, is the sort of caveat you're talking about), PES 2015 is comfortably the most balanced football game I've played since the PS2 era. It still has imperfections and the odd piece of outdated tech, but I genuinely feel like there are more possibilities, more potentially effective styles of play and more ways of stopping them than I can remember being in any recent PES or FIFA. There's still a lot of old tech in here, but what matters to me is the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Right now I get that, and I feel a lot more connected to the cause of my players on the pitch as a result. For all my efforts I never really got that from FIFA, and I've only really got that from PES 2011 MLO (as the single player left me cold).

Great read by the way. The game breaking flaws lies on each personal taste.

For example, just this weekend I was playing the game with my friend. 90 mins, 1-1 bayern real. I shoot with suarez, pepe slide tackles from behind but because the ball already left suarez foot by the time pepe killed suarez from behind, the foul is ignored... You can get away with murder and not get a card, other times, the ref gives you a yellow for using X for pressure. The advantage rule is extremely inconsistent and so is the ref AI in general.

This type of stuff breaks immersion for me. Last year the bad ref AI, no rain and a small stadium roster destroyed by "pes experience". In 2015 I get more of the same.

If you walk into this using PES 2014 as a standard then yes, the game is amazing but when you compare it to even a PES 2013, it feels short. If you compare it to the PS2 games like Adam did, it's disappointing. By no means I want a perfect game... Just a working ref AI, realistic ratio of crosses/fouls per game, a decent edit mode, new ML, 2014 rain effects and more than 12 freaking stadiums. The game still wouldn't be perfect, but sure would be worth the full price.

I know I'm not FIFA main target so I understand them going in a diferent route post demo. But I can still apreciate some of their stuff, just like any gamer that isn't blind will tell you PES player models/faces are far superior.

Still, one game being "better than" doesn't make it good by itself.

Last edited:
R2 is fundamental to passing, shooting and dribbling. Been slinging some wonderful balls about the park. Also managed to perform some well controlled power headers. Amazing game.

The best PES EVER :) What a KO Fifa 15.

To be fair i now choose PES over fifa but "KO Fifa 15" ..certainly not on sales..and on another note you need to acknowledge that the more you play both games the more gaping holes you find..PES AI certainly is nice watching them pass it about but a lot of their goals are samey, the keepers can be reall good but equally dire, and like the post above the refs are shocking as are the fouls but that's been talked to death they just need to sort it if indeed they are capable of doing

Playing FIFA 15 is like watching paint dry on a wall lol....presentation and menus are shittin all over PES but the actual fun ..meh...id rather kick rocks then play it

You blab on about people liking what they want and then say that about FIFA. Your opinion is your opinion but others think different. I haven't taken to PES (yet) but does it mean you have more of a clue about the game of footy than me? Does it f##k!
I play both in a similar way but to say it's not fun is a load of bollocks as I have plenty of fun the way I play it and the modes I play so do us all a favour and wind your bloody neck in as you are rapidly becoming a right boring git.

Can you guys even feel if your players are fast or not. Just played a game with a friend, and fast players like Ronaldo, Robben or Bale couldn´t even run from Godin or Pique? What the hell is that, it´s like everyone is equally fast.

So wait, if I say FIFA is a bad choice of a game for me and an absolute JOKE of a game I am a bad person ? I will NEVER ever play FIFA , no matter what. Even if its the last football game and PES is out of business I will never waste my money on EA and FIFA. When did you ever see me make fun of someone because they like FIFA. If people like FIFA fine, but I have the right not to like it or make fun of it.....

you tell me my opinion is my opinion yet you have to reply to my post....then let me have my opinion without being hurt about it...

Dude, you are 30??

No friggin way :LOL:

Can you guys even feel if your players are fast or not. Just played a game with a friend, and fast players like Ronaldo, Robben or Bale couldn´t even run from Godin or Pique? What the hell is that, it´s like everyone is equally fast.

To me fast players only outrun others when they are chasing a through ball or recovering position. I´ve noticed that a couple matches ago with robben, he was recovering with some alien like speed... maybe I was misjudging in those particular ocasions but it felt a bit overpowered.

I kind of like it because it brings more realism to the game. Its true that Ronaldo and Robben are faster than anyone else on the pitch most of the time but rarely you see them outrun defenders on their way to scoring. Defenders use angles and spacing to not let those players beat them with speed so in that regard its realistic to me. On the other hand, in the open field where both players are going for the ball (like when Robben chased for the ball in 2010 WC Final) Robben and Ronaldo should win that sprint contest every time so that part is flawed in the game and I think this whole catch up bug or whatever it is called is really there to make the game more difficult. I can see how easy it would be to win in this game even on superstar if that wasn't present in the game.

R2 is fundamental to passing, shooting and dribbling. Been slinging some wonderful balls about the park. Also managed to perform some well controlled power headers. Amazing game.

This. And I actually use it to tackle when in close quarters. You can 'nick' the ball rather than a step in lunge with a double X tap.

Last edited:

In that case, I'm gonna go ahead and put a tape on my R2 button. :PP

As much praise as iv given the game so far, one thing im not a fan of is the heavy scripting of the keeper coming out to punch the ball, cause when ever u take a corner and the keeper comes off his line straight away, you know it's going to get punched 100%, I would like some randomness in that area, there should be an individual attribute to this.

This is true, to an effect. But, they have added a lot more emphasis on the speed and freedom of the 'off the ball' player control. Now the runs and movement to lose marking defenders is more realistic. It's just about making those darting runs, shaking off your markers, and making sure you don't deliver the cross too close to keeper. It works for me anyway, although my son did make the same complaint you have stated. Then I scored a header from a corner against him.

I kind of like it because it brings more realism to the game. Its true that Ronaldo and Robben are faster than anyone else on the pitch most of the time but rarely you see them outrun defenders on their way to scoring. Defenders use angles and spacing to not let those players beat them with speed so in that regard its realistic to me. On the other hand, in the open field where both players are going for the ball (like when Robben chased for the ball in 2010 WC Final) Robben and Ronaldo should win that sprint contest every time so that part is flawed in the game and I think this whole catch up bug or whatever it is called is really there to make the game more difficult. I can see how easy it would be to win in this game even on superstar if that wasn't present in the game.

I understand, but on through balls everyone is pretty fast or equally fast. It almost impossible to catch up one the attackers when he is first through. I have seen Alaba or Jordi Alba reach players that had 5-10 meters advantage over them in real life. In the game you can´t even catch peter Crouch if he is first through, which ruins the realism.

i am the most hated poster in the history of pes forums lol...its like i am bill oriley or some celebrity figure.....some people seriously take things personaly and offensive.........its a VIDEO GAME....a VIDEO GAME that we play....CYBER VIRTUAL WORLD....not real world by any means...so please dont judge me if I like/defend a VIDEO GAME.....dont judge me because I dislike and make fun of FIFA. Some people really need to chill out....my godness.

Point is people don't want the other games being slated in the relevant threads anymore. It's boring. Been going on for years and been said to death so just talk about the relevant game in each thread. There's comparing things and then there's having childish rants. And no way are you 30. I would have guessed you were closer to my sons age.

I understand, but on through balls everyone is pretty fast or equally fast. It almost impossible to catch up one the attackers when he is first through. I have seen Alaba or Jordi Alba reach players that had 5-10 meters advantage over them in real life. In the game you can´t even catch peter Crouch if he is first through, which ruins the realism.

Agree. That's a flawed part to me as well. Anytime I feel like its a 50/50 chance for either player to catch on to the ball, the faster one doesn't win that ball usually. On the bright side, there are so many other beautiful ways to score goals. I like that about this game. I think I am onto something with the headers. A lot of my successful headers have come from neatly timed crosses. I am playing a Serie A season and its one intense race at the top of the table right now.

^^^ Calm down. PES4 and PES5 were like that and they are considered as two of the best games in PES history in general. Nothing wrong with it. Game is beautiful, fun and addictive. That's the most important thing.

This. And I actually use it to tackle when in close quarters. You can 'nick' the ball rather than a step in lunge with a double X tap.

It really does have multiple purpose. Its truly a great little tool allowing you to perform/apply those intricate details to the different scenarios within the game. Love the passing; putting spin and curl onto the ball; finding those little holes, gaps in the play only a midfield maestro is aware of.

After feeling a bit fed up of PES's stiffness (and having not played FIFA for a month), I thought I'd have a game for a nice change of pace, for a breath of fresh air.

eJpSwFk.jpg

4-1 after 20 minutes.

It's a strong thing to say, but it's a kids game. It really is.

Back to PES for a while longer, I think. It feels great to appreciate the game that much more than usual this year. :D

^^^ Calm down. PES4 and PES5 were like that and they are considered as two of the best games in PES history in general. Nothing wrong with it. Game is beautiful, fun and addictive. That's the most important thing.

Calm down? Who we talking to.

Agree. That's a flawed part to me as well. Anytime I feel like its a 50/50 chance for either player to catch on to the ball, the faster one doesn't win that ball usually. On the bright side, there are so many other beautiful ways to score goals. I like that about this game. I think I am onto something with the headers. A lot of my successful headers have come from neatly timed crosses. I am playing a Serie A season and its one intense race at the top of the table right now.

Yeah, you can score some amazing goals in this game, without using pace which i Kinda like. It´s not based on Pace, which is one of the reason why i hated the "game the shouldnt be mentioned here", if you know what i´mean ;)

Just started a master league. This is what I'm talking about when I say it's amazingly great on the pitch and horrible off it. Master league is a dated mess. Has been for a few years but even more so now. No deadline day, can't stop forwarding time - flies the weeks by. Lots of home games on the bounce. Dated preparation and menus.
Unrealistic transfers (scout recommending Suarez when it says I have a 0 in 5 chance of signing him) etc etc.
Such a shame cos I say it's great on the pitch.

I think I described the game as 'passable' before but really the more I played it the more I think it's a great game overall. I stress overall because individual elements are problematic but it really comes together as a whole.

Learning the intricacies of it (ie super-cancel) opens up the game a lot and gets behind the stiffness that seems jarring at first. One place in particular that comes into its own is during set-pieces.

I've also come to the conclusion that manual passing is a much better option than passing and through-balls but it really depends on the situation. It's not necessary all the time but it stops the on-rail feeling where a defender usually reacts first and enters the 'line' of the ball before the attacker does.

I'm still struggling with crossing though.

Can I set the demo to manual passing without having to press LT? Still not fully clicking with the game but it's not bad so far.

Back
Top Bottom