PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

I'm not going to ignore the obvious - FIFA is a much better football game than it used to be. While it doesn't tick enough boxes for most of us in this thread, for the average, more casual gamer it's everything they want in a football game.

That's why it sells first and foremost. Whatever you think of FIFA, it is a slick next-gen experience and PES sadly isn't.

Then you have to consider the way EA market the game. It's leaps and bounds better than how PES is marketed. Then again Konami doesn't have the same budget to play with, whereas FIFA is pushed everywhere - TV, print media, radio, online....

Finally look at the name -'FIFA'. Concise, clearly a football game, and one with the official governing body's name on the front. 'PES'? What the hell does it even mean any more? That's why I'd love to see a rebrand of the series. Lose the quirky Japanese name and call it something more European.

Yes I meant that when I said people realate to the name when you say FIFA you think football.
As far as rebranding PES goes thats a brave step and in most cases the wrong one. Rather stick to what you have and create growth rather than make a drastioc change that could lose you sales.

As for FIFA being a next gen experience I am sorry but I can t agree with you. To me and many others its the same old rubbish under all the animation engine and technology and slick presentation its still good old broken dour FIFA. Strip away the outer shell and you will find FIFA 20xx.

What they do good they do well but what they do wrong and that is the important bit for me they fail miserably.

Level the playing field in terms of licenses and Konami will soon equal and surpass EA where it really matters. Sales.

8 teams, very sweet.

That bit of C.Ronaldo advertising was nice. If you're going to get on Konami when they do things unprofessionally, have to give them credit when they do it well. The t-shirt was funny, PES2013 against the world, looks like they're getting a bit tired of all the negativity about their game.

The message sounds a bit (just a bit) like "haters gonna hate" to me, doesn't it ?

I think the statement (Pes 2013 against the world) was really well put. Since John Murhy's comentaries regarding the copies EA had been making from PES and how people don't give them any credits to Konami for that these days, we can see that Konami is a bit sick of all this shit, and this is good because I see them wanting to give a good response by developing a really good game. They are probably sick of the mainstream media as well and how the most popular websites always have to start their previews or reviews by saying how Fifa is amazing now and pes is crap. Must be really tiring to read the same stuff every year...

I hope they manage to give us a solid, balanced and very fun gameplay in pes 2013, wich is their goal this year, and next year they make a good transition to the new engine (Fox Engine) that will hopefully fill the lack of a good tech PES has atm.

I really think in very few years Konami have a good possibility of getting all the respect back.

I'm not going to ignore the obvious - FIFA is a much better football game than it used to be. While it doesn't tick enough boxes for most of us in this thread, for the average, more casual gamer it's everything they want in a football game.

That's why it sells first and foremost. Whatever you think of FIFA, it is a slick next-gen experience and PES sadly isn't.

Then you have to consider the way EA market the game. It's leaps and bounds better than how PES is marketed. Then again Konami doesn't have the same budget to play with, whereas FIFA is pushed everywhere - TV, print media, radio, online....

Finally look at the name -'FIFA'. Concise, clearly a football game, and one with the official governing body's name on the front. 'PES'? What the hell does it even mean any more? That's why I'd love to see a rebrand of the series. Lose the quirky Japanese name and call it something more European.

I agree with everything. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I always thought 'This is Football' was a great name. Something along those lines is what I'm thinking.

You'd be surprised how a simple name change would get people checking out the game again.

Actually "This Is Football" used to be a PSX game. A bad one, in my opinion.

But it is true, would be a great move from the Japanese guys to re-launch PES whenever they decide to release the game under the new engine. It would state to the world: "We're Back! But We're not trying to live off past glories, we're inventing new ones"

Winning Eleven also used to be a great name. But they couldn't possibly use that name again.

It should something catchy. And so... release PES 2014 with the so called FOX Engine, and with the new name.

I don't really see the need for a name-change, after all Pro Evolution Soccer or PES are known brands now with a golden era between PES 3-6, so why give up the recognition?

Sure PES 2008-2010 were awful and PES 2011-PES 2012 mediocre, but still PES has a good ring and everyone waits for the day it returns to its throne by offering the best gameplay on the pitch.

It's like with that formerly popular and successful boxer that got into a few years of drinking, gambling and whoring around, losing his edge... but his fans know that a great boxer is still within him and hope that he will sober up, get in shape and make a succesful comeback.

People love to root for such guys, just as PES-fans root for it to find its spirit and make a smashing comeback.

So I say keep the name, especially that the fox-engine could enable such a comeback next year.

The only thing I would change is to write PES out again next year, to show that there's nothing to hide anymore, that the king is truly back:

Pro Evolution Soccer 2014.

I remember Actua Soccer having slide marks on the pitch real time, if you could at that plus kits getting shitty, improve the keepers, more animations and player switching sorted, then i'm sorted.

shots has improved (video´s)
I'm not the only one here who thinks that GK is still awful

please freedom game, old days (psx, ps2)

Yes I meant that when I said people realate to the name when you say FIFA you think football.
As far as rebranding PES goes thats a brave step and in most cases the wrong one. Rather stick to what you have and create growth rather than make a drastioc change that could lose you sales.

Brave, but Konami have nothing to lose by doing so. Besides, the rebranding from ISS to PES had no negative impact. I don't think they would lose sales at all, rather create a lot of interest.

As for FIFA being a next gen experience I am sorry but I can t agree with you. To me and many others its the same old rubbish under all the animation engine and technology and slick presentation its still good old broken dour FIFA. Strip away the outer shell and you will find FIFA 20xx.

What they do good they do well but what they do wrong and that is the important bit for me they fail miserably.

You've pretty much agreed with what I said. :))People like you and I see FIFA for what it is underneath, but for the majority casual audience, the "outer shell" is exactly what they want from a football game. It does the things it needs to in order to sell to it's target market, and it does them very well.

The "outer shell" is next-gen. That's why it sells. The kind of depth PES offers is wasted on 90% of FIFA players.

Actually "This Is Football" used to be a PSX game. A bad one, in my opinion.

Which is what I said at the top of the page if you missed it.

I thought the later versions of TIF were decent enough, but like I said, certainly no PES.:))

Brave, but Konami have nothing to lose by doing so. Besides, the rebranding from ISS to PES had no negative impact. I don't think they would lose sales at all, rather create a lot of interest.

You've pretty much agreed with what I said. :))People like you and I see FIFA for what it is underneath, but for the majority casual audience, the "outer shell" is exactly what they want from a football game. It does the things it needs to in order to sell to it's target market, and it does them very well.

The "outer shell" is next-gen. That's why it sells. The kind of depth PES offers is wasted on 90% of FIFA players.

do you know what people will think if Konami decides to change "PES" to some other name? They will take that as a useless move.

The real way to make people show interest in pes again is to showcase a hugely improved animation system.
Many, many people these years didn't give pes a chance just as they looked the same stiff animations. Most part of people just want to see a good looking and moving game, first, then they will analyse the gameplay.

I think that even in case pes 2013 will be a perfectly balanced game, even if it will an excellent gameplay people and gaming reviewers will still look at it as the inferior game.

First
hugely improve your animation system
second
show some new interesting online modes

that is the only way to gain people interest

shots has improved (video´s)
I'm not the only one here who thinks that GK is still awful

please freedom game, old days (psx, ps2)

Dude, can't you accept that nobody is on your side with your critcism? You keep whining about one animation you don't like, you think the GK is awful from 2 short videos you've seen.

Just wait and see, if you still can't bear the horrible animations and awful controls then go back to playing PSX or PES 6 or whatever.

But do you really not see any difference in the way real football is played today compared to the times when we all played PSX?

Football is changing, whether you like it or not and so are the games.

Jeez I thought I was old but judging by the way you keep complaining you must be 60 or so, in which case you should see your doctor and get some tranquilizers prescribed ;)

Chill out dude, it's coming

Last edited:

I always thought 'This is Football' was a great name. Something along those lines is what I'm thinking.

You'd be surprised how a simple name change would get people checking out the game again.

Pro Evolution Soccer is such a shitty name come to think of it. The Pro Evo part is fine, but the soccer part is off putting.

Call it Pro Evo and be done with it. Lose the soccer part. No football fan calls it soccer, we actually dislike the word. Only Americans use it and football isn't even a big thing over there.
Why borrow a word that is exclusively used on the continent where football is less popular? Makes no sense.

Any gamer with even a small knowledge of football games will know what it is. As long as the games are proper and work, people will jump ship again, like they jumped ship to FIFA.

Granted, all the mindless 12 year olds will still buy FIFA regardless, but that fanbase that has been lost over the years will think twice if PES returns in great form.

Re-branding isn't really important if the games keep sucking though. If we get something with the quality of WE9:LE, be it 2013 or 2014, for the current generation of consoles, then you can re-brand if you're so inclined.

Pro Evo Football sounds weird.

Agreed. Always Liked Winning Eleven myself. Never really thought the name Pro Evolution Soccer was easy to market.

do you know what people will think if Konami decides to change "PES" to some other name? They will take that as a useless move.

The real way to make people show interest in pes again is to showcase a hugely improved animation system.
Many, many people these years didn't give pes a chance just as they looked the same stiff animations. Most part of people just want to see a good looking and moving game, first, then they will analyse the gameplay.

I think that even in case pes 2013 will be a perfectly balanced game, even if it will an excellent gameplay people and gaming reviewers will still look at it as the inferior game.

First
hugely improve your animation system
second
show some new interesting online modes

that is the only way to gain people interest

Re-branding tends to work in marketing a product. The game was widely known as Pro Evo before people starting calling it PES. Since that change coincided with the downward spiral, why not make a fresh start on the new engine by giving the game a fresh identity?

As Jamezinho said, it was ISS before it was Pro Evolution (different division, but still Konami's game). To bring in a new buyer you need to appeal to them, and PES is a very ambiguous name. When I hear it I think of candy that comes in a dispenser, not football.

Agreed. Always Liked Winning Eleven myself. Never really thought the name Pro Evolution Soccer was easy to market.

well, if they really want to change the name then
winning eleven 14 (next year) should be good

Pro Evolution Soccer is such a shitty name come to think of it. The Pro Evo part is fine, but the soccer part is off putting.

Call it Pro Evo and be done with it. Lose the soccer part. No football fan calls it soccer, we actually dislike the word. Only Americans use it and football isn't even a big thing over there.
Why borrow a word that is exclusively used on the continent where football is less popular? Makes no sense.

Any gamer with even a small knowledge of football games will know what it is. As long as the games are proper and work, people will jump ship again, like they jumped ship to FIFA.

Granted, all the mindless 12 year olds will still buy FIFA regardless, but that fanbase that has been lost over the years will think twice if PES returns in great form.

Re-branding isn't really important if the games keep sucking though. If we get something with the quality of WE9:LE, be it 2013 or 2014, for the current generation of consoles, then you can re-brand if you're so inclined.

Pro Evo Football sounds weird.

We call it soccer in ireland we have Gaeilge football

"Just Football" is the name that comes to my mind right now. JF - They could create a good logo for it.

The idea of renaming the franchise sounded weird to me some days ago, but thinking better, since the game will change next year with the FoxEngine, it really is a good chance for Konami to make sure that it's something fresh to consumers, and a new name for the franchise express that renovation, it's a smart move marketing wise.

I hope Fox engine deliver it.

Last edited:

There's no such thing as bad publicity as the saying goes, so whether people consider it a useless move or not, it creates interest, something which PES has struggled with recently. It's also a (nearly) free move. Not much to lose really but potentially a lot to gain.

Like others have said, 'Pro Evolution Soccer' is a nonsensical name and reminiscent of old school Japanese gaming. It sounds like something from the Japanese game name generator:

http://www.wraevn.com/japanimator/

:))

I still remember when FIFA was the only footy game on 32 bits consoles market, specifically on PSX, when suddenly a mysterious "Winning Eleven" footy game made his appereance on the show. And that gentlemen was the BOMB that's made me forget that the FIFA game was related to football.

So my vote is that Winning Eleven is the name of the game. Very creative indeed.

Last edited:

Have to disagree about football over here in the US. People play a lot here at all levels and there's a growing interest in the game from the Americans.

I agree about the name soccer though, it needs to go. I don't think my Futbol Evolution name was too bad. I'd keep Evo in the title, Futbol Evolution, Pro Futbol Evolution, something along those lines.

Other name: World of Football. WF. It would keep the old "W". Instead of WE for winning eleven, it'd be WF for "World of Football".

... maybe not very good lol..

That's just one country in an entire continent though. Football is known as football almost universally.

well yes and no Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, and several Pacific island nations all call it soccer

new zealand sumtimes call rugby football

Sky Sports' Soccer Saturday Soccer AM.

the word soccer is widely used

Have to disagree about football over here in the US. People play a lot here at all levels and there's a growing interest in the game from the Americans.

I agree about the name soccer though, it needs to go. I don't think my Futbol Evolution name was too bad. I'd keep Evo in the title, Futbol Evolution, Pro Futbol Evolution, something along those lines.

Football Evolution would do. Quite like that.

Back
Top Bottom