PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

Tottenham Hotspur joins seven other English Premier League teams that have become club partners with EA SPORTS. The other club partners are Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Newcastle, and Manchester City.

Link

Liverpool it is then.

This is getting ridiculous.

That was my first thought also, strategic work by EA.

Their well within their rights but isn't the league license enough?

For the evil empire, nothing is ever enough.

So there's no extra news expected until the demo? Sit here and wait for an early leak...

Seems like they are making sure that Konami (or anyone else) will never get full access to the Premier League licence. Good business by EA but not good for us gamers.

Something needs to be done to stop this monopolising of licences.

It''s just business and premier league teams need money too.. and may be many people love the new game released with their team being "excusively" licensed. Especially in england where FiFa has massive sales record, no ? oh and this exclusive agreement is also signed and terms agreed by those team. People inside our fav. team :p

Last edited:

Seems like they are making sure that Konami (or anyone else) will never get full access to the Premier League licence. Good business by EA but not good for us gamers.

Something needs to be done to stop this monopolising of licences.

lol, kickstarter for Konami to outbid EA.

It''s just business and premier league teams need money too.. and may be many people love the new game released with their team being "excusively" licensed. Especially in england where FiFa has massive sales record, no ?

Uh, no. EPL teams do a good enough job bleeding people dry without the need for extra. Greed, not need.

Licensing isn't the problem, it's the "exclusiveness" which by definition is aimed at shutting out other competition for that same license.

There should be laws against exclusivity for sports licensing. It kills competition, the driving force of capitalism. Oh wait, it's only capitalism when it's convenient to the big corporations.

to be honest its sumthing that doesnt even come into my mind when i think of pes.

pro evo was always about the gameplay why should it be any diffrent now.

i think pes isnt as appealing these days because everyone bad mouths it to death myself included. why would anyone be buying it when the fans of the game call it shit

i think licences have a big part to play but opinion and perception are huge aswell so give pes a little love your friend might just buy it then

Greed not need for both the EPL and EA the way I see it. I guess they are pretty clearly signposting who they want to be buying their game.

Personally, I prefer the exclusive licenses Konami has acquired in recent years such as CL, Europa League, Super Cup and Copa Libertadores that can compliment the MAster League mode. After all, in real life European nights are often the pinnacle of the game so having that little injection of authenticity into these matches is more welcome than league authenticity or ''official partnerships''. Not to say I wouldn't want PES to be balls deep in licenses, just that what they do have and how they spread the love wherever possible is more appealing.

Konami actually have their own partnerships as well with some clubs. Their partnership with Barcelona for example essentially renders EA's one with Messi completely pointless, as well as Konami's own acquisition of him a few years ago.

@dwyer for you yes but footy games still sell on licenses and aesthetic things. Its what FIFA is built on and EA are ensuring that their foundation remains intact.

Is it right?

Oh hell fucking no! It is these exclusivity deals that deter other developers from even bothering trying to get into the action and in so doing break the mould or innovate in areas that Konami and EA may overlook.

EA are systematically pulling a move here to make the EPL unachievable for Konami like the Bundesliga and if that happens I am sorry to say Konami well and truly fucked in large parts of the globe.

@dwyer for you yes but footy games still sell on licenses and aesthetic things. Its what FIFA is built on and EA are ensuring that their foundation remains intact.

Is it right?

Oh hell fucking no! It is these exclusivity deals that deter other developers from even bothering trying to get into the action and in so doing break the mould or innovate in areas that Konami and EA may overlook.

EA are systematically pulling a move here to make the EPL unachievable for Konami like the Bundesliga and if that happens I am sorry to say Konami well and truly fucked in large parts of the globe.

This would be the case I think if PES doesn't make some fairly big steps but I reckon it will. If they can produce a title in future which boasts parity with it's rival on a technical/visual level, as well as make it the best football game to actually play it will too hard to ignore.

So long as Konami provide the necessary editing tools, not only will licenses be less of a concern but the profile of the editing community will rise, if the game ticks all the right boxes. Sure, it could come to pass that EA or the EPL throw their toys out the pram but remember, EA has done it's own thing with creation centre and that makes them having a right bitch and moan very difficult. Besides, if EA or EPL do get all litigious, it is only going to increase the resent folk have for them.

Is it right?

Bang on.

Exclusive licences are the reason we only have two mainstream football games, one NFL game (sadly) and one Formula 1 game, to name just a few examples.

I guess I remember back to the days before FIFA when we had loads of football games to play. Over the years more and more developers have dropped out of the market as EA (and to a lesser extent Konami) exert their dominance. Konami are just the strongest survivor and EA will do their best to keep them down.

As a PC player, licences aren't that important to me, but for the health of the PES series going foward, Konami need to be able to compete for the top licences. EA are doing their best to make sure that doesn't happen.

Is it right?

its old news thats all EA have been at this 4 years and that wont change they see konami as a threat so there reaction is normal.

what konami need to do is get back to making games which make u not care about licences pro evo 13 is doing this so they can call teams micky mouse 4 all i care

you want people to buy pes get me sum of those tshirts:))

Bang on.

Exclusive licences are the reason we only have two mainstream football games, one NFL game (sadly) and one Formula 1 game, to name just a few examples.

I guess I remember back to the days before FIFA when we had loads of football games to play. Over the years more and more developers have dropped out of the market as EA (and to a lesser extent Konami) exert their dominance. Konami are just the strongest survivor and EA will do their best to keep them down.

As a PC player, licences aren't that important to me, but for the health of the PES series going foward, Konami need to be able to compete for the top licences. EA are doing their best to make sure that doesn't happen.

I have to say that it doesn't concern me that much. If EA want to put all their eggs in the EPL basket I find that to be quite short sighted and somewhat wasteful. The other thing is these deals come up for re-negotiation and if PES grows to be the far superior game or game of choice for the UK, then negotiations could become complicated.

Put it this way, I doubt you will see the Spanish, Italian or Copa Lib license going exclusively to EA any time soon.

its old news thats all EA have been at this 4 years and that wont change they see konami as a threat so there reaction is normal.

what konami need to do is get back to making games which make u not care about licences pro evo 13 is doing this so they can call teams micky mouse 4 all i care

you want people to buy pes get me sum of those tshirts:))

Spot on. After almost 5 years of mediocrity Konami need to start making fun and addictive games again that the fans have been pining for since PES 6. This coupled with a half-way decent marketing department will help Konami sell games.

I have to say that it doesn't concern me that much. If EA want to put all their eggs in the EPL basket I find that to be quite short sighted and somewhat wasteful. The other thing is these deals come up for re-negotiation and if PES grows to be the far superior game or game of choice for the UK, then negotiations could become complicated.

Put it this way, I doubt you will see the Spanish, Italian or Copa Lib license going exclusively to EA any time soon.

I probably overestimate EA's financial clout to be honest. Their deals with the Premier League and Bundesliga are no doubt hugely expensive and I realise that they are in no position to attempt to acquire La Liga, Ligue Un and Serie A in the same way.

Both the EPL and Bundesliga are extremely short-sighted by agreeing to these exclusive deals. The EPL in particular is always trying to push its brand outside Europe and PES would be an excellent vehicle to do so.

I hear ya guys but what makes EA sell so much better? It sure as hell isnt the gameplay. Licenses still do and as long as EA starngle the marketplace Konami are always going to play catch up.

Think outside Evo-web and think when mom and dad buys a game . What are they going to be familiar with? As much as we (hardcore football game fans) think we represent the majority of the gaming public the sad fact is that its not us its the teeny boppers and moms that buy big and swallow hype in bucketloads.

If EA continues to dominate market share and PES sales continue to dwindle they will just have more money to add the coffers and once the public starts buying more into this like animation engines and Mocap which is the big argument we have nowadays - the less likely it is that Konami or any other developer for that matter will be able to cope.

Imagine what would happen if Konami got EPL licenses on just one PES game. I am telling you the sales will go through the roof and bring them damn close to sales globally. In SOuth Africa it will definitely be the case. Some people just cant be arsed with option files

I hear ya guys but what makes EA sell so much better? It sure as hell isnt the gameplay. Licenses still do and as long as EA starngle the marketplace Konami are always going to play catch up.

Think outside Evo-web and think when mom and dad buys a game . What are they going to be familiar with? As much as we (hardcore football game fans) think we represent the majority of the gaming public the sad fact is that its not us its the teeny boppers and moms that buy big and swallow hype in bucketloads.

If EA continues to dominate market share and PES sales continue to dwindle they will just have more money to add the coffers and once the public starts buying more into this like animation engines and Mocap which is the big argument we have nowadays - the less likely it is that Konami or any other developer for that matter will be able to cope.

Imagine what would happen if Konami got EPL licenses on just one PES game. I am telling you the sales will go through the roof and bring them damn close to sales globally. In SOuth Africa it will definitely be the case. Some people just cant be arsed with option files

i think your a bit lost i predict huge sales for pes 13

do you have any idea how many guys tried EAs shit last year and wont be getting it this year. pro evo 13 sales will rise not fall thats a fact

Exactly, zee. FIFA sold extremely well even when it was total garbage. The name, the licensing, all that helped sales massively. Look at Madden, another garbage EA effort that has been selling bucketloads for years. Of course, an exclusive deal was used there to kill the far superior 2K NFL game. The litigious nature of America saw that they weren't prepared to go against EA with an editable game. For me that's an extremely sad situation.

Credit to Konami for sticking with it. Those calling for 2K to enter the arena should look at how easily they folded over the NFL game.

EA were voted the worst company in America above banks that are putting people on the street. That ought to tell them something about how they're perceived.

Anyway, back to Pro Evo and less about that other muck game. PES 2013 is shaping up nicely and although the licenses don't matter to me, I agree with curdstar that the big competitions are the best licenses going, creating that authentic feel is more important for the likes of Champions League games since they are more unique. Things are done a certain way and Konami can showcase that. Premier League matches are different at each ground and nowhere near as big on the pomp and circumstance.

I'm not going to ignore the obvious - FIFA is a much better football game than it used to be. While it doesn't tick enough boxes for most of us in this thread, for the average, more casual gamer it's everything they want in a football game.

That's why it sells first and foremost. Whatever you think of FIFA, it is a slick next-gen experience and PES sadly isn't.

Then you have to consider the way EA market the game. It's leaps and bounds better than how PES is marketed. Then again Konami doesn't have the same budget to play with, whereas FIFA is pushed everywhere - TV, print media, radio, online....

Finally look at the name -'FIFA'. Concise, clearly a football game, and one with the official governing body's name on the front. 'PES'? What the hell does it even mean any more? That's why I'd love to see a rebrand of the series. Lose the quirky Japanese name and call it something more European.

Finally look at the name -'FIFA'. Concise, clearly a football game, and one with the official governing body's name on the front. 'PES'? What the hell does it even mean any more? That's why I'd love to see a rebrand of the series. Lose the quirky Japanese name and call it something more European.

I agree with that, Konami needs to rebrand it. I never liked the PES title, still refer to it as Pro Evo, but think they need a brand new name. Konami did it before with ISS.

Just stick Pro Evolution under the new title for a couple of years so casual gamers know what it is.

I'm not going to ignore the obvious - FIFA is a much better football game than it used to be. While it doesn't tick enough boxes for most of us in this thread, for the average, more casual gamer it's everything they want in a football game.

That's why it sells first and foremost. Whatever you think of FIFA, it is a slick next-gen experience and PES sadly isn't.

Then you have to consider the way EA market the game. It's leaps and bounds better than how PES is marketed. Then again Konami doesn't have the same budget to play with, whereas FIFA is pushed everywhere - TV, print media, radio, online....

say 2 hail mary's and 1 our father 4 your sins:))

Good post

I always thought 'This is Football' was a great name. Something along those lines is what I'm thinking.

You'd be surprised how a simple name change would get people checking out the game again.

I always thought 'This is Football' was a great name. Something along those lines is what I'm thinking.

You'd be surprised how a simple name change would get people checking out the game again.

I know they can't call it football over in the US since it would confuse the hell out of that market. Maybe drop "soccer" for "futbol"?

Futbol Evolution or something. I don't know, not a marketing man. :COAT:

Back
Top Bottom