PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

Always wanted to flick a ball back into play hope this means that there will be more variation in the ball physics in terms of bounce height and trajectory.

Bit concerned by the one touch play with Busquets doing a 1 touch rainbow flick to Messi who hits it one touch on the volley. As long as its hard to master that I will be contempt else it really is going FIFA street route.

I think/hope these goals where everything is spot on (the flicks, the volleys) are just a way of showing us what could be done in the game, I don't see PES going the FIFA street route, I hope the flick over the defender's head will be about timing and will require skills from both players and users to pull off.
I hope the defenders will be given the animations to counteract these flicks over the head.

Adam just said in today's podcast that these things are really hard to pull off, 'cause you need to time them just right, and that not everybody does it.

If any player (mine or AI) performs a receive+high flick... I will restart the match.

Edit: Yes. It bothers me THAT much.

If any player (mine or AI) performs a receive+high flick... I will restart the match.

Edit: Yes. It bothers me THAT much.

watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

Lol, I'm not the only one here noting PES is showcasing some FIFA street stuff. That Busquets acrobatic pass and Messi flick+goal, for example, is plain and simply PES trying to buy FIFA fans. That's even cheaper than talking.
Anyway, I have faith in the game, the fouling stuff alone makes it worth the buy.

LOL - so why don't you chop down the players trying to do tricks on you instead of quitting the game. That video shows something that would be incredibly hard to attempt, let alone accomplish. If people could do it non-stop and score a few times a game then you'd be right to complain. But there's no way you could do that so you'll be right mate.

Even now if you play online, I've never come up against anyone who does anything more than a couple of tricks per game. So I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about.

Didn't get another angle, but I liked the curled shot Ronaldo hit into the top corner. Not sure why we need the right stick to help us hit a lobbed shot though. I'd rather they have mapped a movement on the right stick to topspin shots or low drives.

Well, I have good memory.
I remember PES 2012 had the rainbow flick issue where you could do it non stop, and Konami had to fix it.
Now they present us first touch control, but they do it wrong. Think about these extreme moves, really:

control + lob over the head
control + lob + volley
control + backwards lob

Maybe they are hard to do pull off. The problem is that Konami gets the "hard to pull off" part completely wrong.
Hard to pull off, according to them, means: it requires quick fingers and sense of timing, but once you get used to both, you can fool defenders. Because in the end of the day, defenders are designed to be fooled by rainbow flicks. The "hard to pull off" is totally on your side, on your hability with the joystick.

In other words, they convert "futbolistic skills" into "gaming skills".
Do you see my point?

Plus:
Flash first touch + rainbow flicks + Riquelme style control, and even step overs, should be Individual player ID stuff. It concerns individual players style. Maybe "football bothers", but I don't want to see flashy youtube-compilation-video-like stuff performed by any player (remember it's available for all players, it's not part of the 50 individual player features).

I'm just worried about the flasy direction the game is going after. Most people here are just judging animations. To me, that's like judging a book by it's cover.

Last edited:

Was it Busquets doing the flick to Messi? I would have thought it was Xavi passes ball to Iniesta and Iniesta flicks it to Messi. If it was Busquets then hmm, he might have just done it once in a lifetime in game :lol:

They put best part in the trailer showcasting what you COULD do if you train hard and everybody complains already. Holy cow. ;)

I will however, stay excited and cheer for the bloody game. Hopefully KONAMI won't do drastic changes like last year, because people moaned :/. (demo1 was great, demo2 was great, full game was failure until 1.03/1.06 patch :/).

So yeah... KONAMI hear the fans, but not necessarily listen to them ;).

Well there has to be SOME skill involved from user input doesn't there? Otherwise we might as well watch the CPU vs CPU yeah??

Well, I believe there's some kind of contradiction. On one hand, Konami praises "we want the player to move the ball around with patient build up and create spaces". On the other hand, videos shout "fuck build-up, I'll just attempt to lob everyone with incoming passes and hit the ball before it touches the grass". If this is included as a feature, it means you will succeed if you pull it off. It's like abusing superpowers in a fighting game.

Remember that PES where players started doing the rabona? Practically every rabona shot was a goal, although rabona produced weak shot. They were just programmed to work like that. Same with the rainbow flick.

That's why I say Konami focuses on skills from a gaming point of view, insted of a futbolistic point of view. They are conspiring against their own speech.

Unfortunately, after all these years, people still persist to try and piece together the entire gameplay experience off the back of what is clearly ''directed'' or at least selected footage designed to show certain features in isolation.

This bulk of this latest trailer was all about the improvements and options when in possession of the ball regards passing, shooting and control so I would have thought it would be fairly obvious it would show that stuff working or succeeding in the game. Would you rather it showed you all these features failing to work?

If the trailer was called ''super duper defence and keepers showreel'' and all it showed was defences being taken apart and keepers failing to save a single shot, then any concerns would be understandable.

Last edited:

Yep. Even if they showed 5 minutes of the CPU knocking the ball around beautifully, there would be people to cut it down saying, "it's only a video" or "it's probably in exhibition mode".

I'm liking what I see. It would be nice to have some minor lighting/graphical fixes if nothing substantial but I'd be content with current graphics if gameplay was really opened up and "free". Looking good so far!

Technically, curdstar, you're right. The problem is Konami has a bad history of applying tricks. The latest tricks system is the living proof: you assign tricks according to your preferences, and every player in your team performs them. That is the ultimate fail for player individuality, and another example of why I say Konami thinks tricks from a gaming perspective, which is wrong.

Another thing. Do you think Konami included fancy moves like rainbows and backwards lobs so that they would have IRL's low impact and rate of success? Why is it that not a single player IRL attempts those moves, apart from Neymar and a few bunch? I'll tell you why: because that's FLAIR, and only a few bunch of players have them. And Konami is allowing every player to have flair, because from their perspective, flair is ruled by the hand that controls the joystick. Just because a move is possible, doesn't mean it has to be in the game. In that case, I would like all goalkeepers to perform Higuita's scorpion kick, and all defenders to dive with their head like Terry. It can happen, so I should be able to pull those off anytime I want... well, that's NOT how you «simulate» a sport.

Bottom line is, Konami has a weird double speech.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, after all these years, people still persist to try and piece together the entire gameplay experience off the back of what is clearly ''directed'' or at least selected footage designed to show certain features in isolation.

This bulk of this latest trailer was all about the improvements and options when in possession of the ball regards passing, shooting and control so I would have thought it would be fairly obvious it would show that stuff working or succeeding in the game. Would you rather it showed you all these features failing to work?

If the trailer was called ''super duper defence and keepers showreel'' and all it showed was defences being taken apart and keepers failing to save a single shot, then any concerns would be understandable.

I guess.. whatever the title of trailers released.. as long as it looks good, it will draw less pessimism..

Konami does not need such a wow impression from fans at this time from their released trailers. Just observe most constructive negativity from fans commenting their trailer so as to release a less negativity final build.

Technically, curdstar, you're right. The problem is Konami has a bad history of applying tricks. The latest tricks system is the living proof: you assign tricks according to your preferences, and every player in your team performs them. That is the ultimate fail for player individuality, and another example of why I say Konami thinks tricks from a gaming perspective, which is wrong.

Another thing. Do you think Konami included fancy moves like rainbows and backwards lobs so that they would have IRL's low impact and rate of success? Why is it that not a single player IRL attempts those moves, apart from Neymar and a few bunch? I'll tell you why: because that's FLAIR, and only a few bunch of players have them. And Konami is allowing every player to have flair, because from their perspective, flair is ruled by the hand that controls the joystick. Just because a move is possible, doesn't mean it has to be in the game. In that case, I would like all goalkeepers to perform Higuita's scorpion kick, and all defenders to dive with their head like Terry. It can happen, so I should be able to pull those off anytime I want... well, that's NOT how you «simulate» a sport.

Bottom line is, Konami has a weird double speech.

I kind of agree with that in one sense, but in another I don't have much issue with tricks and don't feel it ruins the individuality of players. Ever trod doing a trick with a 50 rated ML default player? It's not a pretty outcome. Players stumble, the ball flies away from them, so you don't try to do them much like, say, I wouldn't if I were to set foot on a football pitch.

It's not perfect by any means but there are limits to using tricks with players who aren't technically gifted players. I think that all Konami need to refine tricks into making them even less accessible to those with middling technique stats though.

Last edited:

Robbye Ron ツ RЯ ‏@robbyearon
#PES2013 will have for first time Copa Libertadores on Master League Mode!! #Konami thanks to Mr. Kei Masuda

Great News!!!!!!!

That means there will be at least one American League in PES 2013

:WORSHIP:

Last edited:

I was having a couple of enjoyable games on PES the other day until I encountered the most bizzare automation I have ever seen. Attacking down the right wing and cut in on the byline into the area..a man was freeon the far post so i aimed at him and press the cross button...the player then chipped it to the outside of the box, totally different to where i was pointing to a midfielder i hadnt even seen who was running in..i then reacted and pressed the shoot button and the midfielder performed a bullet header perfectly into the bottom corner...was nice to watch but i got no enjoyment out of it as the computer had basically done it for me....this needs to be sorted amongst other things such as goalies who still at times dive out of the way of shots that are coming straight at them

I have an idea for a new GAME MODE. I hope konami read this thread. It's called "King of Kings". You can choose it in both club and national teams.

Basically you play against the 7 greatest teams in football history. 6 teams are selected in random order, the final team is always the same. If you win all games without replaying the save file you have a special team made up of konami people!!! For the national team i'd include hungary 58, germany 74, italy 82, argentina 86, holland 74, spain 2010 and of course in the final Brasil 70. Same for clubs (huge choices of great clubs).

It would be an old school game mode!!!

As long as they put Lazio 1998-2000 in the clubs it's fine by me! :LOL:

I said it last year and I'll say it again this year, I'd really love to see the International Challenge Mode from PES6 brought back and improved. I loved having the possibility to call up players.

It's true, Konami gave him the exclusive. It's gonna be 2 demos again, but now with much more time between them to make actual improvements.

It's true, Konami gave him the exclusive. It's gonna be 2 demos again, but now with much more time between them to make actual improvements.

Yep, I've been following the WENB forums and apparently the first demo is coming 'early summer'. That to me means before the end of July.

An early demo is a good idea in theory. Let's hope Konami don't take on board the wrong feedback and screw up the game again.

Well, I have good memory.
I remember PES 2012 had the rainbow flick issue where you could do it non stop, and Konami had to fix it.
That was 2011.

there was am earlier public limited beta

plenty of time to fix things, golies were rubbish in the public beta.

What earlier public beta? Afaik 2012 had 2 demos out. 2011 had the MLO beta.

Anyway, regardless, this year they're releasing an early demo for a reason. Feedback is definitely taken on board. So lets take advantage of that and not shoot it down and compare it to last year which had its different reasons.

Back
Top Bottom