PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

I'm not buying this controlling two players at once just yet. I think it's more to do with the right stick giving you the option to Player Select the relevant player you want, and not two simultaneously.

Really ? Very, very suprised at that. Especially as the right stick has other uses, mainly feints. Has that all now been re-worked ? I dont get how that is possible, or the reasoning for it. Sounds wrong to me. And how are you to then supposed to Player Select with the right stick if the commands are being used to control a secondary player ? It makes abolutely no sense at all.

Really ? Very, very suprised at that. Especially as the right stick has other uses, mainly feints. Has that all now been re-worked ? I dont get how that is possible, or the reasoning for it. Sounds wrong to me.

Well they did say at first it'd sound weird until it got explained etc... so hopefully it sounds great come tomorrow.

Hopefully...

It essentially IS trigger runs. It's just their own way of doing it.

I kind of expect it to be along the lines of, you move a player and then he carries on his movement (not necessarily a sprint in a straight line but more an AI controlled movement that is swayed by your choice) once you let go.

If it's literally just controlling some other player, two at once, then that's unlikely to work very well and it seems to fly in the face of the individuality we associate with the series.

Ball physics make a hugeee different in passing (and in overall game pace). This was one of the things i dislike in pes 2011.

But even on that early code from that 38 min video i felt that passing already had a big improvement, not ony in ball physics but also how free it feels, players are passing more into space in the right situations without the need of using manual.

Klash

Your "theory" about match lentgh and Ai dificulty is right. Passing in 15 or above with AI top player does feel more realistic (slower and more dificult). But still lacks more organic ball physics, more freedom and variety animations acording to angle and power (passing animations are very poor in pes 2011), things that PES 2012 has been improved a lot (just need more animations like those on your pes 2010 video, it would be a dream).

I kind of expect it to be along the lines of, you move a player and then he carries on his movement (not necessarily a sprint in a straight line but more an AI controlled movement that is swayed by your choice) once you let go.

If it's literally just controlling some other player, two at once, then that's unlikely to work very well and it seems to fly in the face of the individuality we associate with the series.

hmm, I dont think it is trigger runs, trigger runs on FIFA are just setting the AI off on a run, right? last time I played fifa (shudder) I seem to recall that being the case, the difference with this is that we have control of the secondary player, not just setting it off on an AI led run.

This is exactly why I'm not feeling it Rom.

Having greater control is one thing, but not at the expense of philosophies or awkwardness.

On twitter and looks like this has created quite the confusion among fans. You can tell many ain't happy.

hmm, I dont think it is trigger runs, trigger runs on FIFA are just setting the AI off on a run, right? last time I played fifa (shudder) I seem to recall that being the case, the difference with this is that we have control of the secondary player, not just setting it off on an AI led run.

As I said in my post, it might not LITERALLY be a run trigger, but it's a variation on a theme. No idea why people are treating it as something completely different - it means the guy you control with the right stick can make the same run off the ball whether he's Chicharito or Riquelme.

GK new movements

15341187-0a4

iniesta control

15337818-da7

Last edited by a moderator:
wtf ? What's the point of controlling 2 players at the same time ? It's very innovative indeed but I don't like the idea tbh

I dont get how you lot can be confused!
it will work similar to FIFA where you can flick the right stick to cycle through players you wish to select, once you move the cursor to a player you then control that player, and the AI then takes over the one you have just de-selected. simple.
There will be No controlling of 2 players simultaneously.

it will work similar to FIFA where you can flick the right stick to cycle through players you wish to select, once you move the cursor to a player you then control that player, and the AI then takes over the one you have just de-selected. simple.

That's exactly how I see it.

Wrong, it's confirmed mate, you control a different player with each stick. How exactly that works remains to be seen.

However the system is in principle, it's a bad idea.Something that wasn't truly needed in the first place.

How is it a bad idea? It gives you options lol... It's human nature to dislike change but cmon, wait until you see it in action.

Giving us more options isn't necessarily the way to go.What's the point of promoting this brand new "great" AI if at the end of the day you can still control 2 players at the same time.Something doesn't compute, it's not the PES "philosophy".Each player should feel different from others and controlling 2 at the same time is a step towards reducing what makes in theory each players unique.
I don't like your patronizing post tbh, change is good but it still has to be regulated.There are more basic and more important things to focus on.

Hopefully the vids tomorrow will be conclusive on how it works and ect. As of now I'm skeptical on the whole thing.

controlling off the ball player was a feature in FIFA2002, you had those lines where the ball will go and you could move to that position with 2nd player, worked pretty well, it made long balls meaningful as they didn't come at players feet but like in lofted through balls - right before, so the biggest advantage is making () long pass something useful

BUT

the whole game was about that off the ball pass, it was so good that it was main method for creating opportunities and whole game revolved around it - so all in all I'd say bad game design, it got boring really fast

I wonder how Konami will tackle this thing

YouTube - Gameplay FIFA 2002

Last edited:
Do people just hate change or something?

Controlling two players with two seperate sticks sounds like a good idea to me given the circumstances. People complain about how the AI should be doing that make a point but it's so idealistic to state that and after so many years i've come to the conclusion that it's too difficult programming AI to a level whereby players can make decent autonomous decisions for their positioning (at least for the time being). It probably goes against the concept of individuality but by the looks of things the limitations Konami have at the moment (whether it be inability to program intelligent enough AI etc) has proved to be a decisive factor. Trigger runs in Fifa suck because they are truly basic in everyway. Players don't make intelligent runs, they just run forward in a straight line continously like a boar. This feature suggests the ability to make runs in any direction and as such suggests that it's not really all that similar to Fifa's trigger runs. It does take away individuality but to me again i can only assume that Konami realised they were struggling to introduce AI that can make intelligent runs and take up good positioning so they've adopted this.

Last edited:
Giving us more options isn't necessarily the way to go.What's the point of promoting this brand new "great" AI if at the end of the day you can still control 2 players at the same time.Something doesn't compute, it's not the PES "philosophy".Each player should feel different from others and controlling 2 at the same time is a step towards reducing what makes in theory each players unique.
I don't like your patronizing post tbh, change is good but it still has to be regulated.There are more basic and more important things to focus on.

The thing is, why are you assuming it wont work, or that it's going to work the wrong way, if the oficial announcement hasnt been done yet? Why on earth would stats stop having an influence? It's not like the two players become one...

I'm not assuming it won't work.I'm just questioning if there was truly a need for something like that.At the moment I don't.

Back
Top Bottom