PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

YouTube - PES 2012 - Gameplay video 1

I don't know if it's been post. I love how the game is defensively better, players are much more aware of the ball movement and opponents passes, they are intercepting a lot more, so it's defensively more tatical.

Looks like that the use of R2 and manual cursor will be HUGE. AMAZING!

NOW LOOK AT VILLA UMPING AND AVOIDING THE TACKLE AT 5:26. AWESOME!

So many fail in passes due to defence antecipations. OMG, i'm loving this aspect of the game.

The videos have taken my Saturday night disco trousers to a whole new level of funk. Thanks dudes!

Lol konami and there PR....tsk tsk.
Tbh I have little interest in watching gameplay videos more than once just to see how it looks. Else you see noobs with their fingers glued to R1 and passing the usual patterns, which just makes it all ugly and unconvincing.
Also played PES2011 against a playtester and konami communicator from another site. He played the game much like anyone else you would find in Lobby 1, which makes me worry as Konami consider them to be the voice of the fans.
Really looking forward to Lamis playtest tho cos he is a purist and plays it the way a footballer should.

Just a quick review of my day in PES Ranking event. I'll post a more extensive one with some questions answered tomorrow morning.

Goalkeepers: Terrible. I dare say even worse than PES 2011. Just the tip of the iceberg, I scored two goals against one guy in the same match just GK mistakes. One a straight shot to the GK which somehow managed to go in and the second one was one of those situations where goalkeeper comes out to clear the ball but stops half way and does nothing.

Defensive AI: In a word: Gamebreaking. Already defender awareness was flawed when cutting passes etc. now with the runs that attacking team makes, the effects and consequences are well exaggerated. This should be on top of Konami's 'To Fix' list.

Passing: Too quick and sometimes unrealistic FIFA-like passes are pretty accurate. Is it called Flair Passing? Generally though, the people who I played against where 'gamers' so they would abuse the game to win.

Catch-up bug is gone.

Lobbed through balls: Too effective. They really need to tone it down and add varieties.

Animations: A few animations for passing (one that I love so much, a sort of outside foot pass), shooting and crossing. But still not enough.

Ball physics was very good. Shooting felt much better. So did crossing, albeit a little bit too good sometimes.

The game was more responsive to movement. Better feeling of 360 degree movement than previous titles.

Management menu is identical to previous ones.

Last edited:
English Commentator [Jon Champion] and JIM BEGLIN :)

tunnelz.jpg

New settings : (teammates controls = manual/assited/auto)

teammatesett.jpg

Last edited:
Three things are still needed for me:

- reduce the accuracy on passing.

- Reduce the tackling accuracy

- more fouls. When the opponent is a pressure noob like this spain guys, it's fair and more realistic to have a lot more fouls like in pes 2011 demo. Please konami, do something with that, you were doing right with pes 2011 demo code. :RANT:

- gameplay overall needs to be a bit slower. But it's getting there, it looks smooth.

- proper fatigue system. I want to see those pressure noobs being ver penalized for sprinting around the field.

Although in some video i notice that secound pressure may leave huge gaps, that's good.

Danny, defensive AI bad vs computer or opponent?

Good question. What I meant by AI was not the actual positioning of the defenders, which I think was not bad considering this was an early build. Maybe I should have called it player awareness to intercept balls passing a foot away from them. They can easily intercept the ball, but they don't.

It was against a real opponent.

new animations for defender

defencere.jpg

Central referee don't whistle (despite lineman rise flag)

arbitretouche.jpg

coach move !
kickoffcampnou.jpg

coach2g.jpg

Graphics !!! wow !
hymne2.jpg

hymne.jpg

espanapu.jpg

drapeauo.jpg

new cinematics
gkpenz.jpg

celebrationkl.jpg

penalty camera
penaltycam.jpg

Last edited:
Good question. What I meant by AI was not the actual positioning of the defenders, which I think was not bad considering this was an early build. Maybe I should have called it player awareness to intercept balls passing a foot away from them. They can easily intercept the ball, but they don't.

So was it cursor lag or did the AI just not seem interested?

Videos are.. ok but.. the passes are weird.. They are to accurate and fast.. No matter of body position and direction, which is quite unrealistic for me . In PES 6 that part is near to perfect.

Uurgh not good news on that defensive inability to get to a ball a foot away. However, if a player is flat footed he can sometimes not react to pass 1/2 a foot away IRL. But this should be few and far between. If it isn't fixed we will still be fighting off throughball spammers and low cross/cutback whores.

Three things are still needed for me:

- reduce the accuracy on passing.

- Reduce the tackling accuracy

- more fouls. When the opponent is a pressure noob like this spain guys, it's fair and more realistic to have a lot more fouls like in pes 2011 demo. Please konami, do something with that, you were doing right with pes 2011 demo code. :RANT:

- gameplay overall needs to be a bit slower. But it's getting there, it looks smooth.

- proper fatigue system. I want to see those pressure noobs being ver penalized for sprinting around the field.

Although in some video i notice that secound pressure may leave huge gaps, that's good.

Mate honestly the passing thing isnt really an issue all you have to do is be slightly compotent at defending to intercept most of those passes. Also from what i played if you pressure too much you do give fouls away. Also the game is really slow already ive said its around the speed of pes 2011 on -1. If anything its a bit too slow.
But i definately agree about the fatigue system players didnt seem to tire and i could do the same thing with robben at the end as i did at the start of the match.

Mate this definitely isnt true i easily intercepted passes anywhere near my players feet. It was very easy to do aswell. I dont know what machine you played on but on the 360 version it was definitely not an issue infact it was one of the biggest pluses along with the R2 hold up play.

Guys i would put my life on it that you wont have a problem with interceptions they were so easy thats why most of those videos show counter attack after counter attack because both players dont know how to build up play so they try and just pass it forward and the ball gets intercepted. Defence really is not an issue.
My main issues with the game were:
  • The passes werent snappy enough and were too floaty
  • The goalkeepers
  • The shooting was horrendous (but the shooting animations were really good.) It wasnt that it ballooned up in the air anything it was more that they had no pass. Add some speed to them and they would be perfect.
  • Also i think players ran a bit too slowly (tho players can run away from each other) but i just didnt feel fast players were fast enough

It looks to fast in my opinion (maybe its just because they chose an faster speed)

In vid#4 you can see the player with Spain often doing passes from weird angles and they seem too accurate and in a perfect speed. I think the new animations have caused this and it very unrealistic.

Look at vid#2 at 2:40. I think its Abidal running towards the ball and, when the ball hits him, He reacts immediately to it. If the cursor switch is fixed, the player could switch do Abidal and he would get the ball. Well, its one less bug :))

It's good to see a brazilian who has a genuine knowledge of the sport.

In Brazil forums there are too many fifa noobs these days that make the game look like the ultimate football simulation of history. I hate that.

But back on topic, i agree on what you said there. Passes need to feel harder. Come on... it needs to be a thinking game, players must not take the risk of passing forward when this is not the best choice.

About the ABidal play, i also noticed that the cursor failed ther, but it's cleary much improved tho and it's nice to see player reacting quick and properly in those situations. Those were one of the worst flaws in Pes 2011 among with the lack of interceptions and bad regular AI in online games.

Mate honestly the passing thing isnt really an issue all you have to do is be slightly compotent at defending to intercept most of those passes. Also from what i played if you pressure too much you do give fouls away. Also the game is really slow already ive said its around the speed of pes 2011 on -1. If anything its a bit too slow.
But i definately agree about the fatigue system players didnt seem to tire and i could do the same thing with robben at the end as i did at the start of the match.

Yeah mate, i already posted my views in regards to defense. It seems to me that this year moving players to right spaces using r2 and the manual cursor to some cases without sprinting and pressuirng like a noob will be a nice choice to intercept passes and make the opponent encouraged of looking for foward passes all the time.

This also drops the game pace and make it a lot more realistic.

The thing is those players seem to have no clue how to defende properly. They just sprint around and make the game looks bad.

Although i've seen some good interception, specially a lovely anticipation from the inter defense against Barça.

Last edited:
No need to sweat the little problems... the code the people played this weekend is the 60%-code that was shown on E3. It's buggy and lots of features aren't in yet.

Some people already got preview-code and they told Adam from WENB, who then told us on kitanamedia-forum, that the gameplay were on another level compared to the E3-code, with better shooting, better goalkeepers, better AI and better animation...

I'm so glad that gameplay-videos were posted, ballphysics look nice and the animation is smooth, who would have thought?

Sup, i've been painting all day. Just got back an hour ago and just went through the last few pages here and on WENB to check the footage.

It's looking ok PES 2012. I certainly was not blown away or hugely impressed to be honest but the fluidity i saw is great, very unprecedented in any PES game! It does look quite unstable with the shooting, passing general functions etc.. which i assume because it's an early build and many aspects are very 'loose' some experimental. But happy with the all round fluidity of animations and movement. Ball physics look promising but very floaty. Again sure it's expe4riental and will be sorted.

Two things which concern me are:

1: The first touches, some of the look stupidly perfect as if the ball is glued to the players foot magnetically. Although there where a few instances where they looked really natural. there was the odd bad one and elephant one from a Germany player! I'm guessing it's been dubbed down for experimental reasons, to see how the passing works maybe.

2: Passing animations. I'm delighted with the pass and move animations and how the players arc their bodies around the ball carrying their momentum and can now pass fluidly while running off into space. For short range passes this is perfect. BUT for standard mid range passes and long passes. Players are still doing that bizarre toe poke pass animation or something which looks meek and awkward.

For standard midrange passes and long passes we Very badly need these PES 2010 animations back!
YouTube - PES 2012 Animations request part 1

DarthKebab said:
So was it cursor lag or did the AI just not seem interested?

Mate this definitely isnt true i easily intercepted passes anywhere near my players feet. It was very easy to do aswell. I dont know what machine you played on but on the 360 version it was definitely not an issue infact it was one of the biggest pluses along with the R2 hold up play.

I wish I had recorded a video. Certainly I saw that enough times to convince me the issue was there. It may be the other player whom I was playing against, that I can't tell because I was concentrating on my own game.

Also played on 360 version.

I wish I had recorded a video. Certainly I saw that enough times to convince me the issue was there. It may be the other player whom I was playing against, that I can't tell because I was concentrating on my own game.

Also played on 360 version.

It was most likely your opponent mate. People who played have said matches against AI, even on Professional which is the only dificulty level available on that code, are really hard to get around. How matches did you played, and did you played against the AI?

Last edited:
It was most likely your opponent mate. People who played have said matches against AI, even on Professional which is the only dificulty level available on that code, are really hard to get around. How matches did you played, and did you played against the AI?

I played at least 5 matches all against real opponents. Again, I'd like to point out it might have been the other player screwing with the AI by constantly switching. Or maybe my disk was scratched? :D

I played at least 5 matches all against real opponents. Again, I'd like to point out it might have been the other player screwing with the AI by constantly switching. Or maybe my disk was scratched? :D

You saw the vids that were posted here? Most of the players were absolute shit lol, if you played against any of them, that may explain it lol.

You saw the vids that were posted here? Most of the players were absolute shit lol, if you played against any of them, that may explain it lol.

Yeah I know, but again, I can't say for sure but what I can say for sure is that I definitely felt so about the interception problem. There were a couple I played against though, they were proper gamers. They abused certain things which kind of pissed me off. Pressure was a bit too high for starters and you could ping-pong (then again everyone was playing Spain, Barcelona or Brazil so all high passing stats). I would like Konami to slow the game down a bit so you'll have slightly more time on the ball. Also I would like them to change passing so you don't see 180 degree passes being pulled off more often than not.

But yeah, bad players can definitely give you a worse image of the game than it actually is.

Last edited:
Glad, for the overall improvement made. So far It looks slightly similiar to PES 2011 but overall ball physics and fluidity of the animation are very good gamechanger.

It is good to see that we can see not much beauty of football from sprint whores, quick pass pass all the time :FAIL: I have seen someone also do the cutback and it fails in a good way. :APPLAUD:

IMO, so far from that videos, PES 2012 seems to have quite a good balance to prevent those idiots to make a good scoring opportunities by not looking at what other team mates' ai is really doing :BYE:. It remind me of one of WENB playtester, Suffwan, said on the podcast regarding this.

Although ball physics improvement is generally good, i hope Konami keeps on tweaking it to get rid of that slightly floaty ball in some cases. I guess keeping the pace as of it is now (note that we have game speed slider), but making the ball speed a lil bit quicker. Oh having separate ball speed slider will be awesome, though i can't see this happen.

And yeah, personal thought, PES 2012 running animation & dribbling is better than the other game so far when implemented in a football game although both shares the organic feeling in different way.

Last edited:
Next week Adam gets preview code. He'll be under embargo obviously but he said he'll try to get back to us asap on two things: shooting and goalkeepers.

About overall ball physics and occasional float'iness, I really think it's a code thing. They may have overlooked it, but according to Adam's and Suff's report on the post-E3 code, ball physics were spot on except on shooting.

I just wish you guys had seen the match i played against daymons the 360 patch guy you could tell we both knew how to play football and got the hang of the game well. Our match was epic with lots of good football.

Back
Top Bottom