PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Use the speed burst move (R1 + R2) to set up a strike that needs only a light tap of shoot and results in a low drive. Alternatively, teeing up players to sprint on to and take a first time strike allows you to do similar - use manual modifier passes to set them up.

I'll try it in training, thanks.

Adam is away with his work at the moment. I haven't spoke to him to see if he has been updated, which he usually is.

As for him working with Konami regards PES, I am sure he will talk more about this in due course. It isn't a personal crusade either by the way and neither is it the case that only certain voices will be heard. For example, when I do feedback reports that I send directly back to Jon, who in turn passes them on to the developers (of which I know to be the fact) I do of course use the feedback sections on our boards and comments sections on the main page but I also use a great deal of what is posted and discussed in here as well.

I happen to think that the evo-web community is far, far superior to the likes of PESFan and PES Gaming when it comes to talking PES, though that isnot to say these sites don't have their own strengths regards content and coverage. Even those on here who openly dislike WENB for whatever reason do make excellent points regards the games and I am not going to let what dislike they may have for the site, Adam or myself get in the way of collating good feedback. I post and engage in discussion on here for a reason.

You would be pretty surprised as to the rapport that exists between WENB and evo-web behind the scenes and it is something everyone involved is looking to improve further.

PESfan used to be the bizness but like most PESfansites it went downhill with the game, i mind you used to take it tight on there alot before moving to WENB. Dont you think WENB has gone a bit crazy these days? All those guys want to do is bash Fifa/EA and argue about Messi v Ronaldo which is funny because when Messi was the cover star no one would have a bad word against the guy...now people are calling Messi a media darling and Ronaldo being the best football player on the planet lol, You couldnae make it up.

This place seems to be the most level headed of all the sites, no crazy fanboys, no disrespect to either PES or Fifa and mods that dont think they are the mafia, and most of all we want the same thing - A great PES game.

PESfan used to be the bizness but like most PESfansites it went downhill with the game, i mind you used to take it tight on there alot before moving to WENB. Dont you think WENB has gone a bit crazy these days? All those guys want to do is bash Fifa/EA and argue about Messi v Ronaldo which is funny because when Messi was the cover star no one would have a bad word against the guy...now people are calling Messi a media darling and Ronaldo being the best football player on the planet lol, You couldnae make it up.

This place seems to be the most level headed of all the sites, no crazy fanboys, no disrespect to either PES or Fifa and mods that dont think they are the mafia, and most of all we want the same thing - A great PES game.

I wouldn't completely count out the WENB-forum, there are two or three posters that really know the game in and out and provide good feedback how to make it better, like for example Grimm.

I'll try it in training, thanks.

Should add that some swear by holding triangle - yes, triangle - after you hit the ball sweetly as it results in some added dip. I remember trying that in training and finding it may well be the case. Might be one of these wee ''positive'' glitches that can occur though.

I'm finding 2012 on the PS3 just superb lately. I'm even finding the CPU build up play varied and interesting once my formations and tactics have been implemented. .... wall of text...

For me, players fall into a number of traps.

Like any game of football, the game will invariably fall into three categories.

1) The balanced game - where the CPU sets out its formation and the game is a cautiously to and fro encounter enabled by your tactics AND the CPUs'

2) CPU park the bus/counter - here the CPU will play a very cautious defensive game, and look to counter with faster attackers. THIS IS THE GAME THAT PLAYERS I BELIEVE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH. The tips I would say is that this type of game requires total patience and slow probing. In this type of game, don't look to get players trigger running in front of players, you are opening yourself up completely to the counter. Make sure you have enough central midfield man power to combat the quick counters. Don't look to over attack too fast. Invariably, the art of this type of game is to probe patiently, with the objective of finding that one moment in the second half. Remember, that the first goal in these type of matches is crucial, because if the CPU gets it from YOUR over-committal and non-patience, then to break them down twice for the win is going to be a huge task.

3) The CPU all out attack - this game 'I' look to counter. I cram the midfield, and narrow the pitch. I sacrifice artistic flair and an abundance of strikers for good support players, and wait for my moment to stream forward.

There are other caveats to playing the CPU, especially with regards to the 'park the bus' game. I believe many players look to pick their best XI v the CPU, and this normally hinge around picking the best two or three forwards at your disposal. This will not work in 2012. Leaving the midfield a vacant war zone will end in a disastrous end to end slug fest. Another alternative to playing the CPU park the bus game in an oppressive patient fashion, is to drop deep yourself, thereby inviting CPU players to cross the half way line, committing men forward, and eventually opening up the game.
...another wall of text...

I totally agree with your points but I find the Ai too defensive in PES2012. I mean when you play against anything lower than a C-team (global attack stats), they will park the bus once they are ahead by 1 goal. If they score in the 1th minute they'll park the bus for other 89 minutes.
Modern football is not like that imo. Playing for "result" doesn't work these days.
Ok, I guess people will tell me Chelsea parked the bus vs Barca. But isn't that an exception?

I have the PC version.
And that doesn't work, btw. The HDD is shared by all the profiles in the console. You don't download title updates to your profile.

Ok, didn't know that, but I found another way how to do it: Using xtaf for windows I was able to inject TU 1.03 on an USB-stick (partly xbox360-formatted) and when I put that into the xbox 360 the game asked me if I wanted to use the usb-stick for the game. I said yes, and it made a new profile on the stick asking me questions how I like my game to play... After that process it was 1.03 that I played.

And when I put out the usb-stick and started the game again it was back to 1.00.

Great thing, cause I was able to use the stick with the TU 1.03 and use the internal harddisk for my single-player-modi, perfect combination.

As soon as TU 1.04 is available for download on the TU-sites I will do the same and try it all out.

By the way I can now give an account on what changed between 1.00 and 1.03:

+ Better goalkeepers in 1.03!
+ More reliable player-switching!
+ Slower (after playing -2 on 1.03 for an hour, playing -2 on 1.00 felt a step faster).

Those are the positives, but the negatives are a lot:

- way less freedom!
- Animations of the players feel more rigid!
- individuality of the players got notched down!
- Shooting got less free!
- Ballcontrol got increased considerably, so that it is more like Fifa where the ball sticks even in difficult situations, ie. less randomness and less realism.

resulting in considerably less fun. Playing Barcelona for example in 1.00 is a pure joy, you can feel the skill and technique of every player, they play like in their best times, in 1.03 they are like every other team, there's very little feeling for the power and skill of the players. Hehe, maybe it reflects their reallife drop in quality during the last two years.

Maybe 1.04 can marry the enjoyability, individuality, realism and freedom of 1.00 with the better goalkeepers and better player-switching of 1.03.

Seriously, 1.00 is more free and way more enjoyable than 1.03. Only bummer is the bad goalkeeper, but I take a bad goalkeeper over a rigid gameplay any day of the week.

ok so im in need of help.

Seen a few goals in the goal thread which have some amazing power and curl on them. I cant seem to do these goals.

What are people using to generate power and using for curl?

thanks

Can you paste a link here? If it's someone like Rooney, he has a special shooting card that adds movement to the ball. In reality, it means he can hit powerful curling shots. Leg animation looks a little weird but the shot is nice.

What new Copa Libertadores mode could they implement!? its already in the game!

Im more interested in what the gameplay refinements contain.

The Libertadores Cup in the game is the 2011 Libertadores.

With the update.. they add the current Libertadores Cup.

Every year, the PES games are sold with the Libertadores of the previous year. Why? Because when the game is released we still doesn't know who will play the next libertadores (the libertadores plays from january to june, like the last part of the champions league) and the teams qualifies at each calendar year end.

So... it's a little useless the previous mode, because is similar to buy a game to play the previous year champions league.

This time, I don't know why (maybe because the game sold 1 million copies on latinamerica) we get a free update that adds the curren tournament (which is being played right now, currently on the playoffs).

SO.. FINALLY. Thanks KOnami!

Edit: One more thing. In the game, right now is the 2011 Libertadores (played from juanuary to june of 2011, won by Santos) and the rosters are from that year. So.. this new mode adds (or should add) the 2012 libertadores teams with updated rosters.

Finally we will play a Libertadores Cup in PES without having to wait a year!

Last edited:

This place seems to be the most level headed of all the sites

I agree. I'm more of a lurker on WENB as I'm sick of some real stupid posters.
Last week they opened the Pes13 section and within a few seconds it was about 3 pages long. I thought it would it would be full of info. It wasn't, it was full of posts that were if silly photos and film clips (ie of someone's head exploding). Nothing to do with pes13 at all.

I do enjoy the podcasts though they are very good.

Pes fan is now pretty much redundant. Pes gaming I've never liked. It's had a revamp but it's spoiled by stupid people who want to argue.

Only pro evolutions is a good site.

I totally agree with your points but I find the Ai too defensive in PES2012. I mean when you play against anything lower than a C-team (global attack stats), they will park the bus once they are ahead by 1 goal. If they score in the 1th minute they'll park the bus for other 89 minutes.
Modern football is not like that imo. Playing for "result" doesn't work these days.
Ok, I guess people will tell me Chelsea parked the bus vs Barca. But isn't that an exception?

Not sure.

I mean, if you actually analyse player positioning (defensively) in PES it pretty much reflects real life. When most teams lose possession now, their stock positions are to get back with 8 or 9 behind the ball. I've been paying particular attention to players' off the ball movements once possession is lost the last couple of weeks and the amount of time players will just sprint back to where they 'should be stationed', once possession is lost, is quite high. Even sometimes with total disregard for where the ball is and the opposition players' positioning.

The problem I think actually comes from the player and their tactics. You see, I reckon that the majority of PES players for example will play 2 may be 3 strikers, and play an oppressive Barcelona style game each and every game against any CPU team. The aim really should be against the CPU park the bus tactic, is to draw them out of their defensive positioning through possession lower down the pitch when attacking.

This is why IRL, you see a lot of probing, a lot of passing between defenders and passing back and forth the full backs. A lot of passing into midfield and then back to the defenders again. It's space creation, and dragging players about. This is where PES nails it for me. And I'll bet this is where some players may fall down because they want to go from A to B to C forwards all the time.

I agree. I'm more of a lurker on WENB as I'm sick of some real stupid posters.
Last week they opened the Pes13 section and within a few seconds it was about 3 pages long. I thought it would it would be full of info. It wasn't, it was full of posts that were if silly photos and film clips (ie of someone's head exploding). Nothing to do with pes13 at all.

I do enjoy the podcasts though they are very good.

Pes fan is now pretty much redundant. Pes gaming I've never liked. It's had a revamp but it's spoiled by stupid people who want to argue.

Only pro evolutions is a good site.

I'm sure we can find both good and bad posters on all forums. But let's not go there now fellas and keep on topic.

Not sure.

I mean, if you actually analyse player positioning (defensively) in PES it pretty much reflects real life. When most teams lose possession now, their stock positions are to get back with 8 or 9 behind the ball. I've been paying particular attention to players' off the ball movements once possession is lost the last couple of weeks and the amount of time players will just sprint back to where they 'should be stationed', once possession is lost, is quite high. Even sometimes with total disregard for where the ball is and the opposition players' positioning.

The problem I think actually comes from the player and their tactics. You see, I reckon that the majority of PES players for example will play 2 may be 3 strikers, and play an oppressive Barcelona style game each and every game against any CPU team. The aim really should be against the CPU park the bus tactic, is to draw them out of their defensive positioning through possession lower down the pitch when attacking.

This is why IRL, you see a lot of probing, a lot of passing between defenders and passing back and forth the full backs. A lot of passing into midfield and then back to the defenders again. It's space creation, and dragging players about. This is where PES nails it for me. And I'll bet this is where some players may fall down because they want to go from A to B to C forwards all the time.

This is true (or required) of the human player on offense. But why isn't this true for the CPU on offense? Thus the inherent failure of the gameplay.

This is true (or required) of the human player on offense. But why isn't this true for the CPU on offense? Thus the inherent failure of the gameplay.

To be honest, whilst CPU build up play is quite varied and at times life like in PES, the problem with the developers is that they aren't bold enough to make an out and out sim. I mean are we ready for an out and out sim?

By this I mean are we ready to embrace all aspects of football, like watching the CPU pass the ball about for ages between defenders like sometimes happens IRL when there is no midfield space to pass the ball into? Now I am. I'd love this. This way the game can then go to a whole new level where the match time for example could resemble near enough real football, and we could be having 20/25/30 minute halves. This for me, would be Utopia.

But for the rest of the gaming public, they would see it is boring and say the game is crap because it is too slow or the CPU is passing it about too much, or the first touch is too sensitive, or the passing too hard (fill the rest in yourself).

I mean if you're asking for out and out simulation, then no game has or ever will come close to real football. It will just piss off too many players that will just get frustrated at having to concentrate and initiate button responses for every single passing move, whilst in defence, having the patience to slowly cut down space and making the CPU pass the ball around.

I do agree that the CPU and human need to be on a level playing field as a basis for gameplay, from there stats can dictate individual battles. But the harder the mode shouldn't mean the more scripts the game throws at you, and sees Heskey going off on one like Diego, it should just mean that the CPU retains possession better, and looks to manipulate your defensive lapses more effectively.

But like I say, are we, the players, ready for an ABSOLUTE sim, where we simply just cannot pressure noob and do flicks and tricks and shit around the pitch for 90 minutes.

A really welcome addition, and it's long overdue, would be a good stamina system, then for example, it would weed out the 99.99% of online players, that ruin the experience.

I have no inherent problem against playing "park the bus" CPU teams. The problem I have is the lack of fatigue attributed to those same teams.

In a real game of football if a team was defending deeply and pressing and chasing every ball they would be exhausted by the 70th minute. In this game the CPU team is as fresh as the first minute with no sign of fatigue or tiredness.

I hope Konami instigate a fairer fatigue system for PES 2013 to offset these problems.

Last edited:
To be honest, whilst CPU build up play is quite varied and at times life like in PES, the problem with the developers is that they aren't bold enough to make an out and out sim. I mean are we ready for an out and out sim?

By this I mean are we ready to embrace all aspects of football, like watching the CPU pass the ball about for ages between defenders like sometimes happens IRL when there is no midfield space to pass the ball into? Now I am. I'd love this. This way the game can then go to a whole new level where the match time for example could resemble near enough real football, and we could be having 20/25/30 minute halves. This for me, would be Utopia.

But for the rest of the gaming public, they would see it is boring and say the game is crap because it is too slow or the CPU is passing it about too much, or the first touch is too sensitive, or the passing too hard (fill the rest in yourself).

I mean if you're asking for out and out simulation, then no game has or ever will come close to real football. It will just piss off too many players that will just get frustrated at having to concentrate and initiate button responses for every single passing move, whilst in defence, having the patience to slowly cut down space and making the CPU pass the ball around.

I do agree that the CPU and human need to be on a level playing field as a basis for gameplay, from there stats can dictate individual battles. But the harder the mode shouldn't mean the more scripts the game throws at you, and sees Heskey going off on one like Diego, it should just mean that the CPU retains possession better, and looks to manipulate your defensive lapses more effectively.

But like I say, are we, the players, ready for an ABSOLUTE sim, where we simply just cannot pressure noob and do flicks and tricks and shit around the pitch for 90 minutes.

A really welcome addition, and it's long overdue, would be a good stamina system, then for example, it would weed out the 99.99% of online players, that ruin the experience.

It is not necessarily absolute sim to have cpu passing around.. in PES 2012, most of the time the CPU attacker keeps dribbling forward even he is alone. Posession play, slow build up from cpu ai, is almost non-existent in PES 2012.

It is worsen by the player pace that PES has now.. from walk to sprint dribbling.. although i can differentiate which is which.. The current animation choice, especially in dribbling gives an impression that the CPU ai always keep sprint dribbling as much as possible.. rush to the front.

If i remember correctly, in PES 6, the CPU ai is more aware of being alone in front :)). Anyway, in terms of cpu ai passing around, FIFA 12 does the job better.. yet it is not absolute sim.

Last edited:
Ok, didn't know that, but I found another way how to do it: Using xtaf for windows I was able to inject TU 1.03 on an USB-stick (partly xbox360-formatted) and when I put that into the xbox 360 the game asked me if I wanted to use the usb-stick for the game. I said yes, and it made a new profile on the stick asking me questions how I like my game to play... After that process it was 1.03 that I played.

And when I put out the usb-stick and started the game again it was back to 1.00.

Great thing, cause I was able to use the stick with the TU 1.03 and use the internal harddisk for my single-player-modi, perfect combination.

As soon as TU 1.04 is available for download on the TU-sites I will do the same and try it all out.

By the way I can now give an account on what changed between 1.00 and 1.03:

+ Better goalkeepers in 1.03!
+ More reliable player-switching!
+ Slower (after playing -2 on 1.03 for an hour, playing -2 on 1.00 felt a step faster).

Those are the positives, but the negatives are a lot:

- way less freedom!
- Animations of the players feel more rigid!
- individuality of the players got notched down!
- Shooting got less free!
- Ballcontrol got increased considerably, so that it is more like Fifa where the ball sticks even in difficult situations, ie. less randomness and less realism.

resulting in considerably less fun. Playing Barcelona for example in 1.00 is a pure joy, you can feel the skill and technique of every player, they play like in their best times, in 1.03 they are like every other team, there's very little feeling for the power and skill of the players. Hehe, maybe it reflects their reallife drop in quality during the last two years.

Maybe 1.04 can marry the enjoyability, individuality, realism and freedom of 1.00 with the better goalkeepers and better player-switching of 1.03.

Seriously, 1.00 is more free and way more enjoyable than 1.03. Only bummer is the bad goalkeeper, but I take a bad goalkeeper over a rigid gameplay any day of the week.

I jumped here the gun a bit, fun can be had with 1.03, just not so much on speed -2. The speed -2 in version 1.00 is now speed -1 in version 1.03.

Will further try out the two versions back to back to see what aspects are better in which.

I also seem to have jumped the gun regarding the goalkeeper, he is only a little bit better than in version 1.00, still broken imho.

Yes, I'm ready, most definitely, can't wait for the day a football game is actually like the real thing with a real-time-stamina/fatigue-system, the same hardships and freedoms as in the real thing. A real sim doesn't mean that it is no fun, it just means it's more challenging, thrilling fun.

That doesn't mean I want the game to be only a simulation, it should be choosable how much simulation we want through a slider, that way everyone can be content.

By the way, I have a question for those knowing PES 2012 very well:

Is there a way to play a quick and hard short pass? Whenever I try it the ball is played far, ie. either into the route of a player or to another player, but not hard and short to the player and position I intended. Maybe there is a button-combination to do that.

Last edited:
just played 4 games first time in a month and i'll tell you this has gotta be the most fustrating game of pes ever and i have bought everyone right from the iss days.
to have the AI of your players when there is a loose ball stand still or back away from it or worse look at the damn thing and run away from it.
this is happening in every game am i doing something wrong is it a tatics thing?
i go to prees for a through ball as my striker is clean through my player under my control passes to the side instead wtf i look at controller and shake my head in disbelief.
i am through on right hand side of penalty box my striker is free in middle of box i press to square the pass but my player does 180 degree pass back instead wtf
theres a scramble in my box i go to clear the ball when one of my defenders under AI control comes and more or less blocks it wtf

this for me is a regular occurence times it does not happen or few and far between is this the same for everybody or is it just me and this is the 2nd copy i have of this and both were the same it really is pissing me off!!!!

I re-bought the game last Friday and immediately enjoyed it but after 15 games the little annoyances that were there before keep coming back.

We all know what they are so I'm not gonna list them.

But I will say that the keepers are a joke. That is all ill say.

I still enjoy more than FIFA but I'd love to know how to shoot. When I press shoot button it's a lottery to what shot I get.

I re-bought the game last Friday and immediately enjoyed it but after 15 games the little annoyances that were there before keep coming back.

We all know what they are so I'm not gonna list them.

But I will say that the keepers are a joke. That is all ill say.

I still enjoy more than FIFA but I'd love to know how to shoot. When I press shoot button it's a lottery to what shot I get.

Yeah im not enjoying it as much as i was so now im really looking forward to tomorrows patch to see what it brings.

Last edited:
By the way, I have a question for those knowing PES 2012 very well:

Is there a way to play a quick and hard short pass? Whenever I try it the ball is played far, ie. either into the route of a player or to another player, but not hard and short to the player and position I intended. Maybe there is a button-combination to do that.

Not sure what you mean by this but I hold R2, I face towards the passreciever and pass. These type of passes are fast and you can overhit them a bit, but you have to control and neutralise the speed of the ball with R2 once again to control it with the passreciever.

You have to stop your player for this, these type of passes are not one-touch football.
In general. R2 + pass is more precise, and very usefull for precise throughpasses aswell.

Last edited:
Version 1.00 feels more alive and random, compared version 1.03 and 1.00 for a few hours, the slight improvements in the goalkeeper is not worth the loss of randomness. The ballcontrol and player-movement is just too assured.

Topic-change:

Regarding stamina, the players do indeed feel knackered and considerably slower after the 70th minute, which is not exactly how it is in real-life-matches. Usually teams manage to hold their stamina for the whole 90 minutes, so that they can go overdrive in the last 10 minutes.

They do it by playing slower in phases during the match to regain their breath.

So what's really needed is a realtime-stamina/fatigue-system that measures how much every single player individually ran around the pitch and calculate his stamina and fatigue individually according to his stats.

Only that way it's possible to play smart and use ballpossession to your advantage when you let your opponent run behind the ball, only that way the constant run-spamming and pressure by the AI and online gets either rewarded because of regaining the ball or punished because of the huge impact on stamina/fatigue, it then becomes a choice of tactic.

Currently all players on the pitch get slower after the 70th minute regardless how much they pressured/ran...

Another aspect is the control of the passing:

I think it's not possible to play a short pass with quickness and velocity to a near-standing teamplayer, when you press the pass-button to get some power behind the pass, the pass gets longer, ie. directed either in front of the player or leading to another one who is more far away.

This could be achieved when utilising the analogue-stick better in future versions of PES. Pressing the left-stick all the way in a specific direction could signal to the game that a far out player is the intended recipient and pressing the pass-button manages the power of the pass. Pressing the left-stick only slightly in a specific direction while doing the pass, could signal to the game that a nearby player is the intended recipient... and since the left stick is analogue the stations between near and far can be signalled, too.

This could be applied to the throughball-logic as well.

What do you think?

Guys, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this but look what I found! http://dl.metaboli.com/Patchs/PES2012_Patch1.06.exe

It's the new patch, for the PC digital download version (the one I had). A couple of hours ago I decided to go to the usual place where these patches are and changed the address from 1.03 to 1.04. This showed up: http://dl.metaboli.com/Patchs/PES2012_Patch1.04.exe and the 1.06 showed up! It doesn't have any "fix list" but the exe was compiled last Monday.

OSdOa.png

72tKQl.jpg

No DLC has been prompted to download as of yet, that's expected anyway.

I've been playing it (yeah for the past two hours!) and this may be the "new patch placebo effect" thing but I think Konami finally finished their game! Keepers are super reactive, everything is very responsive, and above all, stats and tactics seem to be respected again, with teams no longer camping on the back and slow players being easily overtaken by fast player! I'm loving it :D

I've been playing it (yeah for the past two hours!) and this may be the "new patch placebo effect" thing but I think Konami finally finished their game! Keepers are super reactive, everything is very responsive, and above all, stats and tactics seem to be respected again, with teams no longer camping on the back and slow players being easily overtaken by fast player! I'm loving it :D

Please, don't make these kind of jokes...

Long low lateral passes in PES are not good.
When I pass low with my LB to my RB with full power, the ball will go to the CB. Sometimes the ball goes a bit further but still the CB will chase the ball, not the RB.
Even when I use LT (manual) + full power pass I still can't reach the other side of the pitch when there's someone else inbetween. Only high passes can do that.

Not sure what you mean by this but I hold R2, I face towards the passreciever and pass. These type of passes are fast and you can overhit them a bit, but you have to control and neutralise the speed of the ball with R2 once again to control it with the passreciever.

You have to stop your player for this, these type of passes are not one-touch football.
In general. R2 + pass is more precise, and very usefull for precise throughpasses aswell.

Interesting, will try out R2 with passing to see if quick strong passes to nearby-players are possible.

By the way your suggestion that pushing the ball past a defender with the left-stick when the ball comes in, didn't work for me at all. No matter what I did with the left-stick, the ball got received and controlled and not let rolled along using the velocity of the ball in a certain direction to go past a defender. Or is that also only possible with a R2-passing before that?

Back
Top Bottom