PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

im using r2 all the time
first touch, most of the passes(holding r2)
super cancel moving(rly a lot of situations u need this, offence and defence)
r2 shots
running back with defenders face facing towards opposite goal, hold r2 too, gives more control when a pass is made in your direction for striker

on corners both off. and def.
in the air too while player is going high for header(hold down r2)

sometimes i just tap r2, rare first touch/one touch situations..

This is an essential tutorial, without the techniques described here the CPU will most of the time with 5 and more goals against you when playing a 20-30 minute match on pro or higher.

I know, cause I lost games 3:8 or worse. The game seems to be rigged against the human player when playing the CPU on difficulty pro or higher.

The biggest danger comes from the wings with crosses where your defenders usually leave one or two opponent headers free. It's absolutely infuriating as I collected five such goals in a single match! The best way to handle is either a) to do absolutely everything to prevent the wingman from crossing or b) to control the defenders in the goal-area in order to make them mark their opponents there and to prevent the heading that way.

Once that danger is dealt with, the other big danger is the super-dribbling of the AI. There is no easy way to stop that as the ball sometimes get even through your foot as if the foot were ghostlike. R2 to bring out the opponent out of balance helps sometimes but it needs good timing. Not running but calmly trying to stay balanced in front of the dribbler helps in blocking sometimes, too.

Then there is the hated cornerkicks that often result in a goal. Doing nothing in that situation leads usually to goals, but controlling your defenders and trying to keep near the opponent headers and jumping for the header as well helps a lot to prevent them.

Oh, and forget about containment, mostly it doesn't work, except if you use it to gain a bit of time and get a second player to tackle.

Super-cancel to leave the rails is also important but I don't have mastered that yet.

Last edited:
I agree that the tendency for defenders to leave strikers free in the box is a bug, but I really don't think defending is anywhere as difficult as its been made out to be.

In my ML with the default squad, on Top Player it was rare for me to concede, and very rare to concede more than one. The biggest challenge, like most PES games, was breaking down the oppositions defence.

Oh, and forget about containment, mostly it doesn't work, except if you use it to gain a bit of time and get a second player to tackle.

Choosing when to use it and when to let go of it and maybe use it again in short spaces of time is the key to making it work, brilliant addition imo and much improved from PES 2011, but not easy at all to get used to and master.

It happened about 4-5 times last night with Martins. He just rode and recovered from all the challenges in much quicker fashion than I've ever seen before. And it was the first time I'd ever used R2 in that particular deliberate manner.

R2 has been the button assigned to jump over slide tackles, I think that might be the reason why.

Still, the button has so many uses, I use it for the occasional controlled shot, to add height to a corner or cross, to make my players trap the ball and face towards the oppo goal, to super cancel, hold up play, to use body balance in shoving/jostling for 50/50s as said above, for obvious close control when necessary while dribbling, to control a difficult loose ball or a high ball or a pass that has been pinged at you too fast etc. its very special. I remember Seabass saying they had expanded its use and that it was the most important button in the game in an interview on PES 6.

Last edited:
I agree that the tendency for defenders to leave strikers free in the box is a bug, but I really don't think defending is anywhere as difficult as its been made out to be.

It's far easier to defend in PES than it is in Fifa but i'd still say attacking is far easier than defending which i'd much prefer the other way round.

WENB said:
Official site going live a sign of imminent announcement?
Untitled-580x316.jpg

The official european site for PES 2013 (http://www.konami-pes2013.com/) has gone live this morning after we reported the domain’s “coming soon” message previously. The site seems to be pretty basic at the moment showing a PES predicts video as well as various links to official PES social networks. It would suggest someone hit the “publish” button too soon, or did they?
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, now is off again...

As mentioned in the video thread, I think it does have an effect. I use it to try and shove my way back onto the ball if I lose it, and I use it to try and ride a challenge by jumping over the defender's leg. I'm pretty sure that the 'slower' movement R2 offers perhaps slows down his momentum and allows him to regain control of the ball. I also barely ever get knocked off the ball unless they're tiny players like Lennon etc.

But I am having a great time using R2 to throw my own weight about the pitch a lot more. Revenge is sweet! ;)

True, R2 can avoid you from stumbling.
Dribbling with R2 slows you down, it brings the ball closer to you foot (kind of ballshielding) and the Ai has a much harder time to push you out of balance. But I was never able to regain my balance and interupt the stumbling animation.
A single R2 tap to jump over a tackle is something that's in the game for a long time now, but your timing has to super perfect.

Last nite i played a lot of demo2 and as someone said it is far superior in gameplay terms. But to my surprise the game is also superior in visual terms, it is pretty evident that the game resolution has been downgraded in the final version. Which is amusing to say the least. Final version looks like 800*600 to me.

PS3 i take it? I had it on PS3 and it's shocking looking. Looks good on 360.

PS3 i take it? I had it on PS3 and it's shocking looking. Looks good on 360.

Not here, my xbox360-version of PES 2012 looks awful: The player-models, the pitch-texture, the lighting look all very basic and let's say it: ugly.

Night-games are the worst of the worst, daylight-games with sunny weather is at least on mediocre level, but night-games... And night-games are what happens most of the time in the singleplayer-modi, can't play friendlies all the time to circumvent the dreadful night-games.

Not here, my xbox360-version of PES 2012 looks awful: The player-models, the pitch-texture, the lighting look all very basic and let's say it: ugly.

Night-games are the worst of the worst, daylight-games with sunny weather is at least on mediocre level, but night-games... And night-games are what happens most of the time in the singleplayer-modi, can't play friendlies all the time to circumvent the dreadful night-games.

More compared to the PS3 version, of course it's not the best looking game sure but it does look good in some stadiums infact day matches look far superior to Fifa's day matches, Night matches Fifa's lighting blows it away right enough.

I only play friendlies with PES as the game seems to play better, why are most of the matches at night in single player modes?

More compared to the PS3 version, of course it's not the best looking game sure but it does look good in some stadiums infact day matches look far superior to Fifa's day matches, Night matches Fifa's lighting blows it away right enough.

I only play friendlies with PES as the game seems to play better, why are most of the matches at night in single player modes?

Well, playing leagues, tournaments, like championsleague or worldcup/eurocup, whatever... you can't define what time of day the match is, nor what weather... and the game most of the time decides it should be night-games. I wish there was an option to define that all games should be played at day with sunny weather.

In that regard I don't care about realism as long as the night-games look so awful.

Night games do look horrible but, on consoles, there is NO difference in graphics between demo 2 and the full retail version. None whatsoever. Year after year, there is never any difference in the graphics from demo to full version. Graphics take ages to produce, and by the time the demo comes out they simply don't have time to make them better.

PES2012 looks poor on both the 360 and PS3.

The only difference is that the 360 version has at least a small level of anti-aliasing going on whereas on the PS3 it's horribly pixelated. The motion blur effect only serves to make the game look worse.

In fact PES2012 is probably one of the worst looking games I own. Thank god I'll be playing 2013 on the PC.

The only difference is that the 360 version has at least a small level of anti-aliasing going on whereas on the PS3 it's horribly pixelated. The motion blur effect only serves to make the game look worse.

In fact PES2012 is probably one of the worst looking games I own. Thank god I'll be playing 2013 on the PC.

How's the PC building going? Do you think you'll be playing 2012 on PC at any point? I'm seriously tempted to go down the PC road but I'm not sure if I wanna lay that much cash down on one. But some of the PES2012 modded games do look tempting.

How's the PC building going? Do you think you'll be playing 2012 on PC at any point? I'm seriously tempted to go down the PC road but I'm not sure if I wanna lay that much cash down on one. But some of the PES2012 modded games do look tempting.

Not started yet as I'm still getting the funds together but hope to build in the next month or two. I just find consoles too limiting graphically and the PC opens up the game to so many mods.

for me pes010 still looks best, pc version
just look to the videos on utube, the pitch and lighting and stuff, looks more realistic

I think the major and most worrying issue is ball physics. It reminds me a lot the old fifa ball scripting: the ball feels like an elastic attached to the player, volley outside the box are like the ones in the captain tsubasa anime with absurd trajectories, long through ball even on 0 assistance finds some magic magnetic field to drop almost perfectly on the players running on the pitch, passing has no momentum and lose ball go costantly on the opposition players.

Even in the worst pes (2008 and 2009) ball physics were way better. I don't know what must have gone wrong in the development of pes 2012, but i am sure as hell if 2013 is not a decent they will lose another big junk of customers. They sold 10 millions in 2009, they are down to less than 3 million now. I have the feeling it will soon end up like NBA live if they don't catch up. FIFA is going the right direction and it is still selling in the top 5 in the UK. It will end up selling some 12 millions by semptember 2012, pes has sold nothing in the last 3 months.

This is why the game needs to grab people by the balls as soon as they play it.

God knows how much money they have put into getting Ronaldo to do the adverts, but I bet it would cost a hell of a lot less to make the game look like what a patched version on the PC can look like.

The following clip from the PC version of PES 2012. All it has is added turf, addboards and nets. If I were Konami I would be looking into the tiny changes that would needed to be introduced similar graphics into all versions. Then simply release an advert featuring the game looking like this.

YouTube - PES 2012 Bundesliga FC Bayern Compilation

There are other clips where the game play looks better and the animation looks smoother because people have worked on it. Combine these and you start winning the war with fifa again

This is why the game needs to grab people by the balls as soon as they play it.

God knows how much money they have put into getting Ronaldo to do the adverts, but I bet it would cost a hell of a lot less to make the game look like what a patched version on the PC can look like.

The following clip from the PC version of PES 2012. All it has is added turf, addboards and nets. If I were Konami I would be looking into the tiny changes that would needed to be introduced similar graphics into all versions. Then simply release an advert featuring the game looking like this.

YouTube - PES 2012 Bundesliga FC Bayern Compilation

There are other clips where the game play looks better and the animation looks smoother because people have worked on it. Combine these and you start winning the war with fifa again

I hope the PES team in Japan has seen that video. This is what we should be getting out of the box.

This game is the best football game ever made my a fucking mile. Hopefully xpjrx will let me expand on this if he lets me write on his blog. No patches, 15 minute matches superstar -2 0 pass assist, version 1.03 patch.

This game is the best football game ever made my a fucking mile. Hopefully xpjrx will let me expand on this if he lets me write on his blog. No patches, 15 minute matches superstar -2 0 pass assist, version 1.03 patch.

I think I would have to agree. The CPU keeps possession and varies buildup play. I've played Superstar and had less possession than the CPU.

I gave up, however, because of PES rage; watching replays of my CBs drifting away from the striker at the critical moment are so infuriating.

But still, it is amazing gameplay...I just couldn't do it (for my own health).

Ok so say I borrowed PES12 from a mate. Which I have.

I want to enjoy it. I don't want to have matches and matches of tweaking stuff.

I will have to download updates when I put disc in so after that what are the best match settings?

Back
Top Bottom