PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Sometimes, it's nice just to drill them hard and low ....,

YouTube - Rabiu Long-Range Low Drive
Sometimes you just have to whack it.

YouTube - Roman Bednar Drive

Here Mr. Bednar does a quick R2 change of direction before unleashing a powerful shot.
I also used R2 to make sure Jerome Thomas got on the end of the chipped through ball.
Excellent goals bud both here and in the FL thread. Some old school stompers on there too.
Webcam looks a bit better as well after loads of pissing about :)).

Last edited:
Sometimes you just have to whack it.

YouTube - Roman Bednar Drive

Here Mr. Bednar does a quick R2 change of direction before unleashing a powerful shot.
I also used R2 to make sure Jerome Thomas got on the end of the chipped through ball.
Excellent goals bud both here and in the FL thread. Some old school stompers on there too.
Webcam looks a bit better as well after loads of pissing about :)).

Great goal Makky, and you used R2 and Sprint to Super-Cancel that run, or just R2 for positioning ? I'm sure it's the former, as you were already sprinting.

Video looks crisper as well. ;)

Until recently I have been reluctant to play anything below a pressing value of 11. At the moment I am using no more than 9 to great effect, if I need to hound the AI I still can(with super cancel sprint or just simple use of analog) but using 9 allows me to keep my shape much more effectively. Played a pressing value of 8 against fiorentina(they were using long ball with 4-3-3 formation) every time a ball was sent forward to their wingers they had few options and they seemed to be quite sloppy in possession. Managed to win the midfield battle without the use of constant standing tackles.

Yes, so I had a game against Heracles and for my ML they have a very possession oriented offense (I think support 4, distance 4, etc) and in the first half they didn't want to relinquish possession. I had a hard time intercepting them with my pressure at 6. At the end of the first half they had had possession of 46% and I had fewer interceptions than them . I thought about what you said and put pressure at 9 to open the second half and, amazingly, they started to make mistakes with stray passes. I started to intercept. I've gone back to check Heracles' roster and the team is rather average with average to mediocre passers (especially in midfield). So my low pressure was allowing them too much time, I was letting them all be Xavi. When I increased the pressure to 9, they hurried and made mistakes. I scored in the 70th minute or so and then, to keep the draw (it was an away game) and since my team had started to tire, I reduced the pressure back down to 6. Success (if you're willing to accept a draw as a success!)

Good day!

Yes, so I had a game against Heracles and for my ML they have a very possession oriented offense (I think support 4, distance 4, etc) and in the first half they didn't want to relinquish possession. I had a hard time intercepting them with my pressure at 6. At the end of the first half they had had possession of 46% and I had fewer interceptions than them . I thought about what you said and put pressure at 9 to open the second half and, amazingly, they started to make mistakes with stray passes. I started to intercept. I've gone back to check Heracles' roster and the team is rather average with average to mediocre passers (especially in midfield). So my low pressure was allowing them too much time, I was letting them all be Xavi. When I increased the pressure to 9, they hurried and made mistakes. I scored in the 70th minute or so and then, to keep the draw (it was an away game) and since my team had started to tire, I reduced the pressure back down to 6. Success (if you're willing to accept a draw as a success!)

Good day!

A draw can feel like a win on superstar since adopting some of your tips I'm much more difficult to beat, 1 defeat in 10 now, too many draws though. I find pressing value of 9 offers a good balance but for certain games knocking it down to 6 could pay dividends. Against the weaker teams I like to sometimes play a higher line with a pressing value of 7/8, allows me to put them under pressure and dominate possession without committing too many players and losing shape.

Quick question - in the tactics menu, is support range basically just how far your team mates are when providing options to pass the ball? As you move the sliders it says wide but I can't remember if that means "far" or actually means they go out wide. I was trying to work out the difference or correlation between that and the attacking style.

So if you have a down the middle attacking style but wide support range, who is running where lol?

Quick question - in the tactics menu, is support range basically just how far your team mates are when providing options to pass the ball? As you move the sliders it says wide but I can't remember if that means "far" or actually means they go out wide. I was trying to work out the difference or correlation between that and the attacking style.

So if you have a down the middle attacking style but wide support range, who is running where lol?

Well, first of all, in this game everybody is running everywhere all the bloody time!

But I'd love to read a tactical analysis of support range also. Anyone?

There was a good description a while back but I can't remember where. Maybe it had its own thread.

I mean if I have wide support range and wide attacking style, I assume midfielders will push out to the flanks and forwards will look to provide options out wide, then cut back inside. If I have down the middle attacking style but wide support range, my players will spread out more which would suit a long ball or counter attacking game and not a possession game?

I had a really good set of tactics for my MLO team last year which I should have written down lol. To be honest, I have tweaked a little but nowhere near enough this year. I think it's key to getting the team to play how you want...well at least in giving you those options.

Still working out tactics myself at the moment I use a low support range(8/9 or 10 value) and high player support if i want to attack but keep precise build up play and intricate passing. Also depends on player, attack defence level etc but its crucial to strike a good balance between player support and support range.

Well, first of all, in this game everybody is running everywhere all the bloody time!

But I'd love to read a tactical analysis of support range also. Anyone?

Support Range effects your options, and how your players will come to meet the ball-carrier. The tighter the Support Range, the more it suits a more possession based game. You also need to be aware of player traits, and how they gel with certain systems. For example, you dont want a Free Roaming player in a more rigid, regimented low Player Switching formation if you expect all 11 players to adhere to it.

Also, making sure that your tactics don't conflict each other is important, tight Compactness and High Player Support obviously don't work together. Low Compactness and short Support Range are perfectly suited, with maybe a 8-9 Player Support.

From PES Facebook page:

Hey Guys, we know you're all waiting for the Winter Transfer Data Pack.

The Data pack is in submission this week and we'll announce the release date as soon as we have it.
In the meantime I can tell you it includes not only transfers, but also some national kit updates and new items.

More info coming soon, stay tuned! Jon Murphy, PES-Team

Even if it's not exciting in a positive way, you'd have to be living quite the lifestyle to be blasé about contracting gonorrhoea...

I'm just getting back into this game in recent days. Can someone please help with the controls, specifically for defending and also the use of the shoulder buttons when in control of the ball?

It's different for everybody, I basically use the x+rt (I think) in tandem to do the hold jockey. But manual player positioning with the analogue is the crucial thing in my eyes. Position your players wisely and close down angles and lanes without pressuring too much. I don't do much funny stuff when on the ball apart from pass/shoot so can't help you there my friend.

Odd off-side moments:

I'm pretty sure I scored an off-side goal today. It was an innocuous enough give and go between my CMF and WF (who is a Darting Runner or whatever). I thought he was certainly offside at the time; he even acted as though it was offside with that slight hesitation in the middle of his run. When I checked the replay, from all angles, at least half of his upper body was in an offside position, but it was, for sure, very quick and very close. I checked the width of the pitch on the replay and the CPU SB had not dropped down on the far side to make it onside. Maybe it was just the benefit of the doubt, I don't know, but it was very nice (at least for me since we scored).

Speaking of SBs drifting down, does anyone else have the occasional odd moment when your SB on the far side from the offensive play will sort of just shuffle around (nothing to do, I guess) and then shuffle down under the defensive line for a few moments thus killing the line and putting the CPU onside. I can't say that it has resulted in a goal yet, but it is a bit worrying. I've noticed this with or without the offside trap tactic, and with various defensive line depths (though it is most obvious when you play a high line).

Further caveats from my post about Pressure: I've definitely moved up in the Pressure tactic. I used to always play in the range of 4-6 but I have moved up to 7-9 after reading the comments of UTDPearson. A few things were happening to me against mediocre teams when I used low pressure. I was giving them extra time on the ball and more space and thus was turning average passers into great passers. So I wasn't taking advantage of the difference in quality between my defense and their offense. Also, by playing low pressure against such teams, combined with good positioning and shape, I was (as they approached my penalty box) reducing their options. I felt like I could actually see the CPU players pausing, not sure how to advance. In the end, they often just launched early crosses and we all know how accurate the CPU is with early crosses. They were starting to burn me and I had inadvertently forced them into that strategy. However, against good quality teams I still prefer the lower end of the Pressure range: their passing is just too good to risk getting out of position. Also, before you chose to play with a lower Pressure, consider checking the statistics of the opponents CMFs and DMFs (also check if any are Long Rangers). With lower Pressure I also sometimes give room up for long-range blasts. I guess it will always be a work-in-progress and very dependent on the opposition.

Aside: I'm often unable to play a strong enough lofted through-ball even if I charge the gauge up to 3/4 or full; instead the ball just sometimes floats up in an uninterested way. I've gone back to check replays and confirm that the passer did use his dominant foot and it was not outside curve, etc. Any advice?

Last edited:
Here is a nice goal I scored in the Premier League against Chelsea last night.

YouTube - Roman Bednar scorcher

Tell you what if Roman carries on like this he'll be getting a a lot more chances to play.
Just a subtle touch of R2 and direction was enough for Odemwingie to perform this little bit of skill. You would have expected him to cut back infield with the ball, but instead he turns outside, which takes the AI by surprise making the goal possible.
Love the way Bednar takes it on his chest first time to create time and space for the shot (R2 again). The second bounce of the ball enables him to hit it with power.
@radha 1. Excellent post on defending by the way.
Sometimes with the lofted through ball this happens. I think the Human AI calculates that the pass is aimed for an team mate closer to you, but behind the intended target. It is annoying.
With the through ball in the video above I almost hit it full power and aimed the analogue where I wanted the ball to go.
As ever in PES, timing is crucial. Sometimes it also helps if you send your intended target on a little run, which helps to create space and gives them a slight advantage over the opposition defence.

Last edited:

Tell you what if Roman carries on like this he'll be getting a a lot more chances to play.
Just a subtle touch of R2 and direction was enough for Odemwingie to perform this little bit of skill. You would have expected him to cut back infield with the ball, but instead he turns outside, which takes the AI by surprise making the goal possible.
Love the way Bednar takes it on his chest first time to create time and space for the shot (R2 again). The second bounce of the ball enables him to hit it with power.
Sometimes with the lofted through ball this happens. I think the Human AI calculates that the pass is aimed for an team mate closer to you, but behind the intended target. It is annoying.
With the through ball in the video above I almost hit it full power and aimed the analogue where I wanted the ball to go.
As ever in PES, timing is crucial. Sometimes it also helps if you send your intended target on a little run, which helps to create space and gives them a slight advantage over the opposition defence.

Everything about that was pure class.

I've been practicing in the Training Ground. Perhaps I'm not accounting for body position enough and the target isn't clear enough in the passer's vision. It's just that I feel like I am missing out on a useful offensive move. I'm going to keep practicing. Thanks for the advice.

Just had the comeback of all comebacks. 2-0 down at half time and completely outplayed, and the lads looking dejected, but somehow there was enough in the game first half to keep me going and feel that the boys could get something out of the game. Pop up Stevie G, captain fantastic. Skrtel scores first to make it 2-1, a headed corner goal, then Gerrard with an equaliser for 2-2. Then within the dying seconds of the game up steps the skipper to seal all three points with a stunning fightback win....

http://youtu.be/kTvo_pwC1KQ

Here's the full highlights -

http://youtu.be/fKk5opf1M60

So it appears that the geniuses over at the yair patch thread have found another gem in Konami's code:

This is absolutely, what I am trying to fix on the next patch. Looking at the game engine, the Opponent AI Marking, Compactness and Pressing seems to be greater than the Human AI's one and the most surprising thing is that, it was a part of debugging that they forgot to remove as it has been said on one of the comments. The good news is that the next patch will fix and improve it so that it's much more equal.

Back
Top Bottom