PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

I don't see teams playing the same at all LT, far from it. They all have differing formations and strategies, and they mix it up depending on the scoreline and how the game is playing out. There are plenty of opportunities to get behind the defence and in around the back, especially late on in the matches when the game gets stretched or the CPU is chasing a goal.

I don't see teams playing the same at all LT, far from it. They all have differing formations and strategies, and they mix it up depending on the scoreline and how the game is playing out. There are plenty of opportunities to get behind the defence and in around the back, especially late on in the matches when the game gets stretched or the CPU is chasing a goal.

That's really not something that I see at all, it's odd that my experience of the game seems to vary but never mind, glad to hear you're still enjoying it at least. In an ideal world I'd still be playing it too, but FIFA12 has won me over this year. Hopefully Konami can drag me back to the series next year.

I suppose I can label myself and being 'out on loan' for the season ;)

I've played Fifa a few times with my son LT, the funny thing is, what Fifa makes easy, is what PES doesnt. And that's what I love about PES.

I'm in my 4th season with Middlesbrough in my ML, 15 minute games, Professional, all Assists OFF. I finished 4th last season, just missing out on promotion. The previous seasons I'd finished 12th, 10th and 9th. I'm in this for the long haul, at this is without question, how I've always wanted a season to play out. There is nothing I cannot do on this game, everything is achievable. Like I have said before, I'm hopelessly addicted to this offline ML. I've not been online for months, I feel no need to, this game is providing me with the kind of realism I've yet to encounter in 10 years of playing PES.

I'm intrigued to know what you think FIFA makes easy over PES. Ball control I'd wager, first touch etc. FIFA does need to improve that for sure. Out of the box, I don't like FIFA12 a great deal, but after using sliders, and using them correctly, you can squeeze out a fantastic game that is alot more based in the PES traditions than people give it credit for. Sure, it has a way to go in certain areas, but passing individuality and the need to use body position when shooting are much more 'PES' like than ever before. For instance you can hit different types of shot depending on how far you can dig the ball out from under your feet, or your body position in relation to the ball will have a huge impact on how effective your shot can be. And for me the way the top CPU teams can keep the ball and force you to chase them around while manfully trying to cut off passing lanes is fantastic thanks to the new defending brought into this year's game. It's the way the CPU this year looks to attack, keep the ball, and play its way around you that keeps me coming back to it.

I'm glad you're enjoying the PES so much though :) with all the arguments flying around here it's very much best to agree to disagree on certain things and be happy we both have a football game to enjoy this year!

Last edited:
I can certainly appreciate the CPU holding the ball more LT, I do like the sound of that. And the shooting is alot better for sure than previous Fifa's. For me, the video Flawed Genius posted in the Fifa forum about a great passing move, was exactly what I dont like. The gaps and space available was so rigid and open, and exactly the opposite of what PES allows. That is what I meant by the comment. In my opinion, it shouldnt be that easy, football is anything but.

In saying that, I genuinely appreciate what people will love about that, as hardcore isnt everything. Hardcore is where I get my fun, small teams, Zero Assistance etc etc, but totally appreciate that isnt what all people want from their footy fix.

I can certainly appreciate the CPU holding the ball more LT, I do like the sound of that. And the shooting is alot better for sure than previous Fifa's. For me, the video Flawed Genius posted in the Fifa forum about a great passing move, was exactly what I dont like. The gaps and space available was so rigid and open, and exactly the opposite of what PES allows. That is what I meant by the comment. In my opinion, it shouldnt be that easy, football is anything but.

In saying that, I genuinely appreciate what people will love about that, as hardcore isnt everything. Hardcore is where I get my fun, small teams, Zero Assistance etc etc, but totally appreciate that isnt what all people want from their footy fix.

If you really want Hardcore play Fifa 12 full manual and on the hardest setting...I'd put money on you not winning many games, It will make PES look like a walk in the park.

Am I missing something here?! All these complains about this amazing game?! :CONFUSE:

Ok before you complain or praise this game let us know about your football skills. I mean real football. Have you ever played this game in land scale levels? Who's your favorite player? team? Do you for example prefer Gattusso over Pirlo? Bendtner over Van Persie?
Also, you may mention your blood type too; I heard lately it may affect your perception of many things including video games!

What you can do in pes 2012 is really amazing. Though I liked 2011 after awhile, but the 2012 is far ahead in almost everything. Try small teams to take the pressure off. Discover the right use of R2 and the like, the right settings for your taste and enjoy every single move then. Fun is guaranteed!

No - apparently you're not allowed to enjoy PES 2012 since some people don't like it, and if you find any positives, you must be a Konami worshipping fanboy :CENSOR::CALM:

Good to hear you're enjoying the game. For quite a while, over the demo period and early stages of the retail code, I thought I had taken a step back from PES 2011 but now I believe there are a few areas of "gameplay" where PES 2012 has improved over PES 2011.
- shooting now has more variety (some nice R2 curlers, shots that bounce before the keeper whereas last year they tended to go in a straight line trajectory)
- catch up bug gone (though there is occasionally a stumble animation that can be hard to get out of, even though it is possible some of the time)
- on the fly tactic changes
- goalkeeper's improved a lot (I've only seen 1 awkward moment in the last 2 months whereas this time last year I'd see LOTS of bad mistakes). Some of the saves are great now. pleasantly surprised.
- a lot less offside decisions because player's curb their runs better (although sometimes this means it's harder to play through balls and get 1 v 1 situations, although it is possible).

Not commenting on Master League or BAL here, just gameplay issues which I think are improved by a fair bit.

You know I like variety its that one thing on PES that has stood the test of time. You cant help feeling like there's endless ways to score its just a pity that online people and majority arcade players expect 1 way to work over and over again

Time for a brag. In PES if you can dream it you can achieve it

Utaka Dribble and finish, a defender that was spamming the slide button and R1 + x made to pay
YouTube - Utaka dribble WMV

A sneaky Kherzakov free kick
YouTube - kerzhakov FK

And a giroud strike but, but, but you cant shoot in PES2012 they say

YouTube - Giroud strike.3GP

Last edited:
Ah, the dribbling skills of the Zeedan. Beautiful, as was the R2 finish.

I must admit though, the FK goal makes me squirm. Konami have got that bit all wrong. You cant bend it that way with the instep of the right foot, physically impossible. :CONFUSE:

Lovely Giroud strike though bud, great stuff. :)

Am I missing something here?! All these complains about this amazing game?! :CONFUSE:

Ok before you complain or praise this game let us know about your football skills. I mean real football. Have you ever played this game in land scale levels? Who's your favorite player? team? Do you for example prefer Gattusso over Pirlo? Bendtner over Van Persie?
Also, you may mention your blood type too; I heard lately it may affect your perception of many things including video games!

What you can do in pes 2012 is really amazing. Though I liked 2011 after awhile, but the 2012 is far ahead in almost everything. Try small teams to take the pressure off. Discover the right use of R2 and the like, the right settings for your taste and enjoy every single move then. Fun is guaranteed!

I'll be asking my mother if she ever had a brief fling with a Frenchman............. :CONFUSE:

I'll admit that I played both demo 1 and 2 and decided on picking up FIFA 12. I just played half a dozen matches of demo 2 and the game and graphics are better than I remembered. What speed and camera do you guys who like this game play it on? I see some aspects to like. Has the latest patch improved or screwed up the shooting?

@jimmy thanks bud I agree I cringed when I saw that instep all wrong. Konami should see to things like that.

What I like about the Giroud strike is that I saw a gap between 2 defenders and thought hell with it.

I'll admit that I played both demo 1 and 2 and decided on picking up FIFA 12. I just played half a dozen matches of demo 2 and the game and graphics are better than I remembered. What speed and camera do you guys who like this game play it on? I see some aspects to like. Has the latest patch improved or screwed up the shooting?

I don't believe there to be a problem with the shooting, I don't have one. Although, others do.

Patch 1.03 has smoothed out a lot of the earlier issues for me. Everything has been toned-down, most noticably, the way the CPU A.i operates.

If you have the time to put the effort in, then you will be rewarded. If you don't, then you won't. You will need to re-invent the way you play offline. I also think it will be very hard to come from Fifa and enjoy it.

Edit - Try Wide-Cam, 15 minutes on Regular to start you off. Maybe -1 Speed or 0. If you want the most control possible, try and learn Zero Assistance Passing. That's where this game shines so very brightly. It takes time and effort though.

Last edited:

The shooting in the final game (1.03) is totally different to the Demo's, you can play 1.00 by not downloading the patches which is very similar shooting to the demo's and tbh is the best version out of 1.00-1.03.

I don't believe there to be a problem with the shooting, I don't have one. Although, others do.

Patch 1.03 has smoothed out a lot of the earlier issues for me. Everything has been toned-down, most noticably, the way the CPU A.i operates.

If you have the time to put the effort in, then you will be rewarded. If you don't, then you won't. You will need to re-invent the way you play offline. I also think it will be very hard to come from Fifa and enjoy it.

Edit - Try Wide-Cam, 15 minutes on Regular to start you off. Maybe -1 Speed or 0. If you want the most control possible, try and learn Zero Assistance Passing. That's where this game shines so very brightly. It takes time and effort though.

Thanks. Since I have 3 Playstation accounts I guess I can play any patch from 1 to 1.3.

Only with the full game, and only 1.00 or 1.03. Out of the box it will be 1.0. The game will request an update immediately though, so you will need to decline that. It will only update to 1.03, nothing before that.

In my opinion, 1.0 is very loose and open. The keepers are terrible though. It's very pick-up-and-play, but it isnt anywhere near as good as 1.03. 1.00 feels like 75% code.

Only with the full game, and only 1.00 or 1.03. Out of the box it will be 1.0. The game will request an update immediately though, so you will need to decline that. It will only update to 1.03, nothing before that.

In my opinion, 1.0 is very loose and open. The keepers are terrible though. It's very pick-up-and-play, but it isnt anywhere near as good as 1.03. 1.00 feels like 75% code.

Can't deal with bad keepers so I would just take the update.

Keepers are VASTLY improved so it's best to go with the latest update. The shooting is good on there. Maybe shooting was better on the demo but unless you have the latest keepers, it's pointless having great shooting.

Spot on. It's just a shame it flys over so many peoples heads. This game has so much depth it's staggering. And any game worth it's salt, and with any true depth, isnt one that can be picked up immediately. It takes time, alot of time. In fact, this is the most complex PES by a country mile. And my article will break it down technically, and in huge depth.

What's staggering are your comments. I don't care how much you or I or anyone practice PES 2012, nothing will solve the problem of the wandering WF or SMF, for example. Surely you've noticed that when you lose possession high up the pitch, your WF or SMF on the opposite side will drift toward the center circle. Watch an exhibition match on Blimp Camera View and enjoy your far WF or SMF drift all the way across the pitch, into the circle, until he is standing nearly behind the near WF or SMF. When you regain possession deep in your own half and play out, don't you wonder why there is no player on the far, advanced side? It's because he's running childishly to get into position! This is the most fundamental requirement of good gameplay: position.

I've certainly enjoyed reading many of your comments and frankly appreciate them. But to suggest that the people on this forum aren't enjoying PES 2012 because they aren't trying hard enough is monumentally stupid and belittling. When I pick up the ball deep in my own half and turn to launch a lovely, curving long through ball (yes, so much about this game is wonderful) only to find my right wing forward is still shuffling his feet on the left wing side, no amount of hard work or practice is going to make my pass come true.

Good day.

Last edited:
What's staggering are your comments. I don't care how much you or I or anyone practice PES 2012, nothing will solve the problem of the wandering WF or SMF, for example. Surely you've noticed that when you lose possession high up the pitch, your WF or SMF on the opposite side will drift toward the center circle. Watch an exhibition match on Blimp Camera View and enjoy your far WF or SMF drift all the way across the pitch, into the circle, until he is standing nearly behind the near WF or SMF. When you regain possession deep in your own half and play out, don't you wonder why there is no player on the far, advanced side? It's because he's running childishly to get into position! This is the most fundamental requirement of good gameplay: position.

I've certainly enjoyed reading many of your comments and frankly appreciate them. But to suggest that the people on this forum aren't enjoying PES 2012 because they aren't trying hard enough is monumentally stupid and belittling. When I pick up the ball deep in my own half and turn to launch a lovely, curving long through ball (yes, so much about this game is wonderful) only to find my right wing forward is still shuffling his feet on the left wing side, no amount of hard work or practice is going to make my pass come true.

Good day.

Really ? Your struggling with player positioning ? Have you lowered your Compactness or upped your Player Support ?

Trust me, player positioning is completely in your hands.

Yeah it would be interesting to know what settings you are using to come up with those problems in player positioning. I mean all settings too - are you making changes or you've left it to the coach to make changes? Do you change tactics on the fly? What are your formation and tactic settings etc.

Not to say you don't have a point Radha1 but there might be something you could tweak to improve it. Can't hurt to check I suppose?

I only ever occasionally notice my LMF moving into the centre circle but upon checking his stats, he had the 'darting run' trait, so would assume he makes runs into any space he can find during attacks, and also assume thats what happens when he 'wanders'

The tactical depth of this game is so rich that depending on players stats and cards they can play differently depending on your formation at the time, their assigned role, which cards are in effect etc.

The player runs are based om team strategy and player stats. For montpellier Utaka likes to change wings and takes up a CF position at times. It works on my nerves as Ait fana or Belhanda don't do this. But it is his ability and his nature so I adapt accordingly. I prefer it than switching off his traights ala PES2011.

Back
Top Bottom