PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Had another 2v2 online session on PES 2012 today, loved it! :D

Absolutely raped nearly all opponents by playing clever, well worked football - one 5-0 win as Arsenal against Barca (opponent was rated 580 and in D1) was particularly pleasing.

The dribbling in this game is great, I love how you can pretty much torment people who just mindlessly pressure you - I have them literally running round in circles sometimes, creates a lot of space.

Shooting still sucks though, I thought it may have been a case of just having to get used to it but nope, also the keepers save almost everything but headers and one-on-ones...

There's the occasional well struck shot, but more often than not you get piss-poor efforts when it looks like you shouldn't...

In PES 2011 you had to set up the angle/body position relevant to actual football technique to hit powerful shots, now you can be under no pressure, in loads of space, with the ball teed up perfectly to hit, and still not come close to scoring.

Me and my mate were messing around in training mode for a while, trying to score from long range with players like Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard etc. and we very rarely found the net.
We were both quite proficient from long range in previous PES titles, so I doubt that it's because we're doing it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Did you get very latest one? In my sig

On it now although cant find my USB stick to transfer it, Are we going back to Speed 0 with this lastest one?

edit: Had a game, have you toned down shooting even further than what it was? Normally i'd have around 70% of shots going straight down the middle but that game there i reckon it must of been 90% (tbh i dont remember a single shot going in the direction it should have but there must of been one or two) that went straight to the keeper. Game finished 0-0

:(

Speed on 0 was pretty bang on i thought.

edit: I was Arsenal btw.

Edit: Had a second game and had to turn it off at HT, This time i went Man Citeh.....it doesnt matter where the goal keeper is shots will automatically find their way to him no matter the input on the analog stick it makes no sense, I know people wanting better keepers but c'mon not this it just comes across as very lazy programming! Now we have good goal keepers but strikers and Mids that cannot place the shot. Game is a nightmare.

Last edited:
My latest attempt of finding a game setting which I enjoy has me playing the PL with QPR on Regular, with Zero pass support. It is a lot easier than Professional, but still a decent challenge. Plus the difference between opponents is staggering. Lesser teams aren't too hard, top teams can be very deadly.

Has anyone been beaten by the AI in the possession department?

I am playing with Betis, and Wheter it's Rayo Vallecano or Barca, I win possession numbers. I might not win the game with the over the top dribbling abilities of some players, but I always dominate the ball. I play with no pass support and full manual or whatever it's called. That is the main thing that keeps me from playing this game. The AI just plays incredible counter attacking football. I set up Barca with the most realisitc tactics i could find for them, and still I win possession with teams like Osasuna or Racing. Makes it unplayable for me.

Anyway to fix this? I really do enjoy the feel of players individuality even if it's watered down a bit compared to previous versions of this game, but when I have Barca pinned back for most of the game, I just lose interest.

On it now although cant find my USB stick to transfer it, Are we going back to Speed 0 with this lastest one?

edit: Had a game, have you toned down shooting even further than what it was? Normally i'd have around 70% of shots going straight down the middle but that game there i reckon it must of been 90% (tbh i dont remember a single shot going in the direction it should have but there must of been one or two) that went straight to the keeper. Game finished 0-0

:(

Speed on 0 was pretty bang on i thought.

edit: I was Arsenal btw.

Edit: Had a second game and had to turn it off at HT, This time i went Man Citeh.....it doesnt matter where the goal keeper is shots will automatically find their way to him no matter the input on the analog stick it makes no sense, I know people wanting better keepers but c'mon not this it just comes across as very lazy programming! Now we have good goal keepers but strikers and Mids that cannot place the shot. Game is a nightmare.

I haven't touched shooting on any players since improving it for 1.01.

I know people wanting better keepers but c'mon not this it just comes across as very lazy programming! Now we have good goal keepers but strikers and Mids that cannot place the shot. Game is a nightmare.

The game is fackin broken mate. I appreciate the hard work done by Chimps, but any game that needs this much tweaking is broken. My biggest peeve is not the shooting, but lofted through balls. When I loft a ball I can`t even run onto the ball. Like I`m being held back by some kind of force field. WTF is that about? To make matters worse the CPU defender runs right with me instead of running to the ball. Also tired of the continuous lofted through balls that are made by the A.I., especially on counter attacks. Switch it up! I`m done with this game. Looking forward to trying out Fifa 12 with Dan Stringers slider settings.

The game is fackin broken mate. I appreciate the hard work done by Chimps, but any game that needs this much tweaking is broken. My biggest peeve is not the shooting, but lofted through balls. When I loft a ball I can`t even run onto the ball. Like I`m being held back by some kind of force field. WTF is that about? To make matters worse the CPU defender runs right with me instead of running to the ball. Also tired of the continuous lofted through balls that are made by the A.I., especially on counter attacks. Switch it up! I`m done with this game. Looking forward to trying out Fifa 12 with Dan Stringers slider settings.
You shouldn't have to do it, but using super cancel (R1 + R2) greatly helps when trying to latch onto a lofted through ball. I've used it since PES5 and it's vital any time the ball is in the air - goal kicks, clearances, long balls, through balls, crosses etc...

receiving through balls suxx honestly, improved with yair gameplay though

and pass assistance helps too, what it does actually is moving the receiving player, 1-2 is ok not too much intervention in pass direction
u can use L2 anyways..

Last edited:
Haven't been here in quite a while since the stop and go sprint bug. I eventually just took a sabatical leave on this game and devoted time to Fifa12. I had a blast playing it and it is lots of fun with great graphics. Definately an improvement.

I then decided to come back to PES12 to see if the issues had been fixed. The game to me was excellent already with the exeption of the stop-run bug the prevented me from fully enjoying it. I have to say that now since the bug has been fixed, I am finally enjoying it fully. Since I had been out for so long, it did take me quite a while to get acclimated with it's gameplay. I had to get used to and remaster the shooting, sprinting, dribbling, defending, and passing. After hrs of practicing, I finally felt like I had arrived at fully enjoying it the way it's meant to be played. Yes, the AI may cheat at times, however, once you master the gameplay, you will break them down just like in real life. Player attributes are great as always. Shooting is superb! and passing is pure freedom on manual. Dribbling is fantastic!

This game without a shadow of a doubt, blows Fifa12 out of the water in my opinion. One thing to mention in the gameplay of PES12 is that Super-Cancel is highly important in order to fully enjoy this game. I cannot stress this enough for it is the tool that enables me to play and control my players with freedom in sprinting, shooting, and dribbling. The "other" game was fun, but this one is where true football breathes.

Now back to the King! Enjoy.

Haven't been here in quite a while since the stop and go sprint bug. I eventually just took a sabatical leave on this game and devoted time to Fifa12. I had a blast playing it and it is lots of fun with great graphics. Definately an improvement.

I then decided to come back to PES12 to see if the issues had been fixed. The game to me was excellent already with the exeption of the stop-run bug the prevented me from fully enjoying it. I have to say that now since the bug has been fixed, I am finally enjoying it fully. Since I had been out for so long, it did take me quite a while to get acclimated with it's gameplay. I had to get used to and remaster the shooting, sprinting, dribbling, defending, and passing. After hrs of practicing, I finally felt like I had arrived at fully enjoying it the way it's meant to be played. Yes, the AI may cheat at times, however, once you master the gameplay, you will break them down just like in real life. Player attributes are great as always. Shooting is superb! and passing is pure freedom on manual. Dribbling is fantastic!

This game without a shadow of a doubt, blows Fifa12 out of the water in my opinion. One thing to mention in the gameplay of PES12 is that Super-Cancel is highly important in order to fully enjoy this game. I cannot stress this enough for it is the tool that enables me to play and control my players with freedom in sprinting, shooting, and dribbling. The "other" game was fun, but this one is where true football breathes.

Now back to the King! Enjoy.
lets play online sometime mate, as long as you dont use barca..

Sorry to be off topic but has anyone bought PES on ShopTo before? I'd heard great things about them and just tried buying PES2012 on Wii, but first impressions are a shambles. I put the thing in the basket, registered an account, made payment, my card's been billed, but according to ShopTo no order has yet been placed.

So I now have to contact customer services, except they're not open on weekends so I have to wait until Monday to try (I tried ringing them this morning anyways and there's not even a message saying that they're closed, the phone just rings with no answer) and get them to send me an order they've billed me for and claim I never made......not a good first impression. I'm staring to worry they're a bit of a con but hopefully not.

Last edited:
ShopTo are certainly not a con, and I know alot of people who use them exclusively. They have had issues before with fraud and staff using CC details, but that was a good few years ago now.

I was gunna ask if there were any chants about for the 360 version, but I remember Jimmy having problems getting them working in ML mode. Must say the atmosphere audio is absolutely horrendous, such a relatively simple but emotive aspect yet they neglect it every year.

Having played 10 or so matches in the last couple of days, some observations....

1. The art of defending is probably the best there's been. All about timing, positioning and risk assessment. Interceptions are also massively improved from last year. Where it's let down is AI team-mate positioning, doesn't quite replicate real life defensive lines and I'm skeptical over the 'Defence' stat's influence. While I think competing for headers is excellent, occasionally AI strikers are left open for unexplainable reasons. Or if they're being marked by a defender who you aren't controlling, they won't challenge for the ball.

2. Shooting is more responsive than earlier versions but still poorer than last years. I'm struggling to notice differences in placement between weaker finishers and more accurate ones, Laursen Toure rarely misses despite only having 75 shot acc. Volleys are more realistic and you can hit some absolute belters. Overall it's ok but the satisfation of scoring is less than last year.

3. Opponent AI is easily the best there's been. I can't remember many PES games where I've not been bored playing the CPU after more than two weeks. They still sit relatively deep but nowhere near as much as before, generally making an effort to come out and play. I honestly don't think scripting is anywhere near as prevalent as it's made out on here. I've seen misplaced passes in defence, own-goals, missed sitters. Numerous times the CPU has been in a position where if it wanted to win it could have, but instead fluffed the opportunity. I'll accept they receive a boost in final minutes, but it's never pre-determined that tey will equalise.

4. The biggest blow for me is the step back in individuality. I've experienced minor differences in passing, but from what I can see there are no longer expert passers who you can build a team around. Similarly variations in dribbling styles are fewer with the abysmal decision of merging agility with acceleration. From what I can see the better dribblers now just turn quicker with maybe more touches, but it's nowhere near as expansive as it was in PES 11. The animations don't lend themselves well to it either, with less technically gifted players still effortlessly doing that fancy backheel turn. This is probably the biggest disappointment of all for me, and I honestly can't comprehend why they've done it.

5. Freedom of both the ball and the player is apparent more than ever. This a feeling of uncertainty whenever the ball is in the air which I think adds massive amounts to excitement and unpredictability. One of my main complaints with FIFA is the ease of sinking into a 'routine' of playing, where you subconsciously already know how a move will pan out before it's happened. I think this is one of the main reasons why I love defending so much, where before a simple button press would suffice you have to jockey and judge situations.

Overall I'm relatively satisfied with the game in it's current state (1.03). I'm gutted about certain design choices they've made (individuality, assisted passing...), but I can definitely see myself playing offline for another couple months at least.

Last edited:
Sorry to be off topic but has anyone bought PES on ShopTo before? I'd heard great things about them and just tried buying PES2012 on Wii, but first impressions are a shambles. I put the thing in the basket, registered an account, made payment, my card's been billed, but according to ShopTo no order has yet been placed.

So I now have to contact customer services, except they're not open on weekends so I have to wait until Monday to try (I tried ringing them this morning anyways and there's not even a message saying that they're closed, the phone just rings with no answer) and get them to send me an order they've billed me for and claim I never made......not a good first impression. I'm staring to worry they're a bit of a con but hopefully not.

I use them all the time and have been doing so for a few years without a single problem.

Scored an absolute peach of a goal yesterday with Defoe, one of the best/most realistic I've seen in a football game.

Received a pass about 40 yards out, burst past a defender with the first touch using that new explosive turn of pace move (R1+R2), left him for dead, then the second touch was a Ronaldo chop which completely wrong-footed two chasing defenders, setting the ball up perfectly to be struck, I used an R2 controlled shot from about 25 yards which flew right into the far top corner with bend and dip, the keeper had no chance.
Saved the replay, may have to take my camera and record it at some point, it looked incredible in real time.

For all of this game's faults, it does give you exciting moments, and I'd say it favours a much more tactical and thoughtful game of football moreso than any other that I've played.

Thanks Jimmy and Jamezinho for your comments on shopto, that's put my mind at ease until Monday. Looking forward to a bit of Wii PES, the graphics obviously aren't hd but it still looks pretty good, I've noticed tons of those little touches that were in the PS2 days (player breath in cold weather etc) are there and ball physics and animations are superior IMO which is bizarre. Looking forward to trying a new control method too, by all accounts this game is considered the best current football game available in gameplay terms so we shall see!

But Jimi said it is !

Miro, every year we have same story !! Big promises and nothing special after all ;) That NEW engine will be something with graphic i guess . Some new shadows filters or.. something like that. PES 2013 will be just.. PES 2012 but with updates for bad or good.

But Jimi said it is !

Somebody on here recently said the game is now flawless after patch 1.03 but i dont think it was Jimmy, he does love the game however and doesn't understand the negatives that most of us points out which is great for him i wish i could love a football game this year.

I can understand the negatives but there are far, far more positives. It's easily my favourite PES and as far as the CPU Ai goes, it's the best ever in my opinion. By a long way.

The problem with this site is that it's been bogged down by all the naysayers who come here just to bitch and whine. It's ruined this place, it really has. And those constant negative comments have spoilt it for those who enjoy the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom