PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Looks like a low difficulty setting.

otherwise known as Top Player

That's because Ribery has the speed merchant card. They're treated differently as far as rubber banding is concerned. I noticed this fairly early on in my D2 MLO stint - Milner wasfinding it disproportionately hard to keep up with speed merchants that had got goal side of him, while players with better pace stats werent getting away from him so much.

Well that makes things awkward since most fast players on the game have the speed merchant card. only one i can think of who don't have it are Sessegnion Peirera and Cordoba.

There's Martins but i think he has shit stats for Dribble speed anyway.

Still, I hear too many kids complain that when they sprint with Crisitano and Messi and they get caught up?

Hopefully this sprinting issue is a non issue in PES 2012. I think the main problem with FIFA is partly about the defender never being able to catch up but more so about the whole defensive line not being able to cover properly. In FIFA you too often see a player run from inside his own half towards a 1 v 1 situation without a defender in sight.

In PES, even if you get a break on your defender (which can be done as Kobayashi said), it's a lot harder to get cheap 1 v 1's like it is in FIFA. So we should have faith that Messi and CR7 might be able to find space on the flanks, but not be able to burst past the other 4 guys waiting for him near the penalty box.

been waiting for this since iss2:

Adam_Bhatti Adam Bhatti
.@williamgardner we were told the linesman will make mistakes. Still working on this though

always hated laser precision offsides, :D

will continue waiting for this one:

Adam_Bhatti Adam Bhatti
.@haha__xD gameplay is just as fluid as FIFA, but animations not close enough

hoping they are tryng behind scenes, to reverse engineer fifa/nba2k's animation engine, 2013 may be the year (if the world doesn't ends before)

Last edited:
I just hope this sprint/speed isnt too overdone. Although I have confidence in everything Konami do for the most part. I would like to see an AI built in to the defenders and defensive-minded midfielders where they automatically give the notoriously quick players 5 yards. This is how fast players are dealt with in real-life, defenders automatically back off 5 yards and are reluctant to commit to the challenge in fear of being left for dead.

The rest sounds incredible, but nothing less than I expect. They are improving on the great base they have with PES 2011, it's only ever going to get alot better now they have a clear vision of what they want.

Last edited:
otherwise known as Top Player

Well that makes things awkward since most fast players on the game have the speed merchant card. only one i can think of who don't have it are Sessegnion Peirera and Cordoba.

There's Martins but i think he has shit stats for Dribble speed anyway.

Still, I hear too many kids complain that when they sprint with Crisitano and Messi and they get caught up?

There are loads of fast players in the game who don't have the Speed Merchant card. But why should it only be possible for the fastest players to get away from people, let alone the slower defenders? If you're a fair bit faster than the defender and can run with the ball well then there's no reason why you should be getting caught within 10m.

As for those kids, it's hard to take them seriously because there's no evidence that they weren't expecting to have instant acceleration from an awkward angle.

Last edited:
will continue waiting for this one:

Adam_Bhatti Adam Bhatti
.@haha__xD gameplay is just as fluid as FIFA, but animations not close enough

hoping they are tryng behind scenes, to reverse engineer fifa/nba2k's animation engine, 2013 may be the year (if the world doesn't ends before)

To get to fifa's animations you need TECHNOLOGY and MONEY! and LOTS of it!

Something Konami can't compete with

Also NBA 2K's animations don't look all that smooth! That game doesn't look anywhere near as silky smooth as FIFA does (which is a very good thing) In fact the game just reminds me PES is anything. They make solid and realistic movements but don't skate around the court just they are much more fluid than PES's obviously!

Fantastic game though :BOP:

There are loads of fast players in the game who don't have the Speed Merchant card. But why should it only be possible for the fastest players to get away from people, let alone the slower defenders? If you're a fair bit faster than the defender and can run with the ball well then there's no reason why you should be getting caught within 10m.

True, but it dosen't need a huge shift in balance, just sorting out that 'tug' issue i said about earlier where you can't break from a defender if he touches you :)

As for those kids, it's hard to take them seriously because there's no evidence that they weren't expecting to have instant acceleration from an awkward angle.

My worry is the mass of kids out there sway Konami!

Last edited:
I just hope this sprint/speed isnt too overdone. Although I have confidence in everything Konami do for the most part. I would like to see an AI built in to the defenders and defensive-minded midfielders where they automatically give the notoriously quick players 5 yards. This is how fast players are dealt with in real-life, defenders automatically back off 5 yards and are reluctant to commit to the challenge in fear of being left for dead.

The rest sounds incredible, but nothing less than I expect. They are improving on the great base they have with PES 2011, it's only ever going to get alot better now they have a clear vision of what they want.

It's not the sprinting speed that changed, but instead the rubber banding defending that was "removed". It now depends of the speed stats of the defenders again.

I would like to see an AI built in to the defenders and defensive-minded midfielders where they automatically give the notoriously quick players 5 yards.

Well with this new 'cover' system that seems hinted at in the controls system, if implemented correctly it should deal exactly how you describe. Fast bursts should be met with heavy touches, which are more susceptible to a defender hanging off. Whats more, it'll penalise those who rape the pressure button more by being done by pace too often if they commit too much, which how it should be.

I don't expect them to get it balanced pitch perfect, but thats how it should be done at least.

Last edited:
Interesting podcast and listen to the part about the difference between Messi in this game in PES 2012 compared to 11 and how Both of them agree with my theory on animations and how they are programmed.

too much hype from wenb members
i'm just waiting and thinking we will have a better game than pes 2011, that's all
and that's fine to me

True, but it dosen't need a huge shift in balance, just sorting out that 'tug' issue i said about earlier where you can't break from a defender if he touches you :)
That and stopping the defenders from being able to close that gap and reach you.

My worry is the mass of kids out there sway Konami!
when a portion of what the kids say is true, then as long as Konami fix that portion then everybody's better off.

Listened to the whole podcast while I was preparing and having lunch very interesting bits of info like the whole life around the pitch bit and the animations specific to players well the speed of them at least. Sounds promising indeed.

I'll listen to the podcast later today, I work outside a lot and mostly alone, these podcasts are a perfect companion to that. I also listen to the PSM3 podcasts, those are great. Not about PES, but games in general.

Just listened to the podcast and it all sounds very good, sounds like the game I thought 2011 should of been. The thing that worries me is that the guy in the podcast says that PES2008/09 were horrible games, but I bet if you go back and read what they were saying about those games before they came out it would be very much like what they are saying about 2012. So I am not at all excited and wont be until I get to play it.

I preferred the demo of 2011 to the actual release.

There was a pretty vocal section of demo players who complained about it being too clunky in some respect I cannot recall.

That was changed and took some of the demo's preferability away. It became too smooth for me.

Just listened to the podcast and it all sounds very good, sounds like the game I thought 2011 should of been. The thing that worries me is that the guy in the podcast says that PES2008/09 were horrible games, but I bet if you go back and read what they were saying about those games before they came out it would be very much like what they are saying about 2012. So I am not at all excited and wont be until I get to play it.

Not really tbh, at least Suffwan was never too positive until last year and even then you could notice his hesitance. Proof is, he has (admitely) been a FIFA guy since FIFA 08.

It was an interesting podcast but the big issue about their impressions is that they way they always come with the same level optimism and hype the game up no end, only for them to say 1 year later the game was crap and this year will solve all the problems.

Some of their criticism of PES 2011 i highly disagree with and sounded as if they where trying to make out PES 2012 is a bigger change from it's predecessor than it actually is. The passing is class is PES 2011, or well maybe not so much on regular but on the levels higher it is. What they didn't understand is PES 2011 wasn't a bad game unlike the three before and didn't need a huge amount of work anyway.

Every year we hear. Oh the last PES games where rubbish but the now one is going to be the turning point! I agree with other things they mentioned especially the part on animations with Messi but where i disagree on was their uber hyping of PES 2012. PES 2011 was a good game and it's not like we need a huge jump. and substantial jump but not huge like they are going on about.

It was an interesting podcast but the big issue about their impressions is that they way they always come with the same level optimism and hype the game up no end, only for them to say 1 year later the game was crap and this year will solve all the problems.

Some of their criticism of PES 2011 i highly disagree with and sounded as if they where trying to make out PES 2012 is a bigger change from it's predecessor than it actually is. The passing is class is PES 2011, or well maybe not so much on regular but on the levels higher it is. What they didn't understand is PES 2011 wasn't a bad game unlike the three before and didn't need a huge amount of work anyway.

Every year we hear. Oh the last PES games where rubbish but the now one is going to be the turning point! I agree with other things they mentioned especially the part on animations with Messi but where i disagree on was their uber hyping of PES 2012. PES 2011 was a good game and it's not like we need a huge jump. and substantial jump but not huge like they are going on about.

^This.

That's exactly what happens every year. They hype it up to get people to follow them and then tear it down by next release. They have no credibility in my opinion.

Suff said that PES 2008/2009 were horrible and he is right and he had that opinion also back then, that's why he changed to favour Fifa 08/09 back then and was ever since a Fifa-man.

He found PES 2011 to be good but still slightly inferior to Fifa 11. Now he says having played the alpha-versions of PES 2012 and Fifa 12, that for the first time on this gen he favours PES 2012, at least in this alpha-state.

Make of it what you want, it's just a little background-info.

Suff's the man for more reasoned, intelligent analysis and opinion.

I'm prepared to give the wenb boys (yet) another chance as I think they realise more than ever that they can't keep pedalling the same bullshit year after year. Hopefully they've matured a bit.

Keep in mind, though... that this is very common in game journalism, even generally high scoring games (GTA, Halo, MGS) which hardly seem to have a single blemish in some reviews, suddenly have all sorts of flaws when the next version is pre- or reviewed. The WENB-boys are no different to others in this regards.

Sorry but obviously you heard a completely different podcast than me. Sure Adam is a bit over-the-top with his enthusiasm but he means it well and it's his joyful nature.

What you said that they said PES 2011 were crap is completely wrong. They said PES 2011 were a good game, a good base to build upon and that PES 2012 were a good build-up on that foundation.

Sorry but obviously you heard a completely different podcast than me. Sure Adam is a bit over-the-top with his enthusiasm but he means it well and it's his joyful nature.

What you said that they said PES 2011 were crap is completely wrong. They said PES 2011 were a good game, a good base to build upon and that PES 2012 were a good build-up on that foundation.

Yeah exactly, they were very objective on this podcast, all they did the during the whole thing was highlighting what was better comparing to last year and how did those improvements changed the game.

Unless you take everything as a lie (which is a clueless thing to do imo) until you have seen it then there's no reason to be worried.

What i hate in pes2011 the most are the triple crosses. you know those low crosses, which are like a rocket, they often hit my defenders and the ball goes in. it's not realistic and to me it's an exploit. chances of scoring is really 1 out of 2. take it out or make it more realistic.

Suff's the man for more reasoned, intelligent analysis and opinion.

I'm prepared to give the wenb boys (yet) another chance as I think they realise more than ever that they can't keep pedalling the same bullshit year after year. Hopefully they've matured a bit.

Yeah, with suff on the mic, you can be assured it's the real deal. he was the only one going to fifa, he bought fifa09 i did the same. PES was just garbage and now the tables have turned. and he will come back to pess, like many others. sales will be better for konami this time.

Back
Top Bottom