PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Think so too - back to PS2 strenghts which always was gameplay!

And apart from all the gameplay aspects, I really think that PES has to find a better design for it's franchise. If you compare the menu designs and user friendlyness of FIFA to PES, Konami really sucks. I really find all those "saving boxes" very ugly and online is not very sexy too. I takes ages to x away all this info screens, server select pages etc. until you finally able to play a online game.

mate have u ever used the fifa 12 ui? its fucking shocking mate, need a degree to find out where thing are in the game.

I think the whole FIFA animations thing is overrated. PES has always had more realistic player models and the animations are fine. Gameplay is king.

But it is always better to have a brilliant gameplay and realistic animations. I don't think animations are overrated, because animations makes a game look and feel real or less real. It is one big factor especially in sport games. We all want the real thing, we all love to see things in our games that we use to see in real life. The more the better.

I'm sure it is not easy finding a good balance between nice animations and a working simulation-based gameplay. But i don't think Konami has already reached the best that is possible with todays consoles. There is room to improve.

I think the whole FIFA animations thing is overrated. PES has always had more realistic player models and the animations are fine. Gameplay is king.

Animations in PES are truly woeful. People always mention Fifa but it's not just Fifa games that have great animations it's just about every game out there today. Konami seem about 4 years behind the rest of the gaming world.

ah well I only conceded 6 or 7 free kicks against CPU outside box and everyone taken by a good player was scored. 2 were against crappy master leagu nobodys who missed. Well one boy hit the post

But it is always better to have a brilliant gameplay and realistic animations. I don't think animations are overrated, because animations makes a game look and feel real or less real. It is one big factor especially in sport games. We all want the real thing, we all love to see things in our games that we use to see in real life. The more the better.

I'm sure it is not easy finding a good balance between nice animations and a working simulation-based gameplay. But i don't think Konami has already reached the best that is possible with todays consoles. There is room to improve.

I agree. Animations should be more than just a visually pleasing effect, they should be integral to the gameplay experience. I'm stating the obvious but animations show what your player is doing, how he is moving, his body posture, how he strikes the ball etc - basically player individuality should be conveyed through a realistic and varied animation set.

If PES had a FIFA style animation engine I think the sense of player individuality could be taken to the next level.

I think I read somewhere a few weeks ago that animations/visuals would be more of a focus for PES 2013. If they can put in as much work into those areas and further refine keepers (animations in particular) as much as they did on AI for PES 2012 it should be a pretty epic game.

There are some animations which can look a bit odd in PES but I don't find them gamebreaking as by enlarge they look correct/adequate.

In fact, while FIFA 12 hammered the adverstising on "impact engine" and realistic looking collisions, they look ridiculous at times and PES (in my opinion) has better looking animations, especially when it comes to riding tackles and continuing to run with the ball. This goes hand in hand with the largely excellent advantage system.

Has anyone noticed the animation (could be new?) where a player makes a tackle then puts both hands up (stick em up pose) to show his innocence. I noticed it last night (well it looked like that) and thought it was brilliant. Another one of those football subtleties that makes PES what it is - a footballer's game.

p.s. for those who say shooting has not changed, I disagree. I find you can absolutely thump some shots now. They're not as accurate as the demo which is great but they just go wide and you go "oooooh!".

Animations in PES are truly woeful. People always mention Fifa but it's not just Fifa games that have great animations it's just about every game out there today. Konami seem about 4 years behind the rest of the gaming world.

Indeed. PES animations suck. FIFA is great, but I feel Top Spin 4 is the king. Impressive footwork, player movement, expression, brilliant stuff. It's near perfection.

I think I read somewhere a few weeks ago that animations/visuals would be more of a focus for PES 2013. If they can put in as much work into those areas and further refine keepers (animations in particular) as much as they did on AI for PES 2012 it should be a pretty epic game.

There are some animations which can look a bit odd in PES but I don't find them gamebreaking as by enlarge they look correct/adequate.

In fact, while FIFA 12 hammered the adverstising on "impact engine" and realistic looking collisions, they look ridiculous at times and PES (in my opinion) has better looking animations, especially when it comes to riding tackles and continuing to run with the ball. This goes hand in hand with the largely excellent advantage system.

Has anyone noticed the animation (could be new?) where a player makes a tackle then puts both hands up (stick em up pose) to show his innocence. I noticed it last night (well it looked like that) and thought it was brilliant. Another one of those football subtleties that makes PES what it is - a footballer's game.

p.s. for those who say shooting has not changed, I disagree. I find you can absolutely thump some shots now. They're not as accurate as the demo which is great but they just go wide and you go "oooooh!".

Didnt notice that, but again, I play with default ML players and they wouldnt score in a brothel...

how the hell do you create a team? i want to make one for my master league as i don't actually like any team in the game and would like to play as crystal palace so be it with default players but how the fuck do you create a team :|

Was the brothel pre-patch? Cause there were 9 men parked outside the box :P

They're still there. I've played Bordeaux (freaking Bordeaux!) on Stade de France for the Cup quarter-finals, top-player, and they had nine men behind the ball. Only their forward was upfield. I guess the difference is the "active AI" - team-mates are moving a lil' better off the ball and that itself creates more goalscoring chances.

I've noticed players putting their hands up in the air but it's usually when they think one of their team mates has been fouled. Haven't seen the one you've mentioned but haven't played too many games.

I've got a feeling you were saying 'ooooooh!' last night as I remember you spanked one that flew inches over the bar! :COOL:

Personally I'm loving the game since the new patch. It just feels slicker and less on the rails. As most have already mentioned it feels similar to demo 2. I still wouldn't complain if they knocked the game speed down 1 notch online though, although it is tonnes better than pre patch.

Had a dodgy keeper moment where he seemed glued to the penalty spot but I'm hoping that was a one off.

I was at a point a week or two ago thinking I would hardly play pes over the next 10-11 months but this patch has made all the difference. Just need a decent option file now (that doesn't contain 600 files).

They're still there. I've played Bordeaux (freaking Bordeaux!) on Stade de France for the Cup quarter-finals, top-player, and they had nine men behind the ball. Only their forward was upfield. I guess the difference is the "active AI" - team-mates are moving a lil' better off the ball and that itself creates more goalscoring chances.

It does vary though. I played a Copa Libertadores home and away round (2 games) and in both games the other team had a proper midfield setup and didn't play 1 up front.

I've noticed players putting their hands up in the air but it's usually when they think one of their team mates has been fouled. Haven't seen the one you've mentioned but haven't played too many games.

I've got a feeling you were saying 'ooooooh!' last night as I remember you spanked one that flew inches over the bar! :COOL:

Personally I'm loving the game since the new patch. It just feels slicker and less on the rails. As most have already mentioned it feels similar to demo 2. I still wouldn't complain if they knocked the game speed down 1 notch online though, although it is tonnes better than pre patch.

Had a dodgy keeper moment where he seemed glued to the penalty spot but I'm hoping that was a one off.

I was at a point a week or two ago thinking I would hardly play pes over the next 10-11 months but this patch has made all the difference. Just need a decent option file now (that doesn't contain 600 files).

Yeah I hit a shot with Kolarov and one with Krasic that were rockets but just missed. Looked unbelievable lol.

Playing with zero assistance felt a lot more free and even the ricochets and loose balls seemed more natural. Tackling and interceptions felt better.

Glad you like it as you won't be able to refuse me any more games :P

Daymos is fine tuning the option file so it should be a lot more efficient than 600 files ;) I'm playing Champ's League and Copa modes until the OF is ready and then I'll start up offline ML and BAL modes. I've started a club boss mode just for the sake of it. Thought I could get through some achievements with it while the OF is getting finalised.

Let's see if this new patch changes a bit the way cpu plays and how your teammates move on the field, because some weeks ago it was realy enjoyable to play with teams like barça and and bayer despite the ai always paying in counter attacks, but it's what i'd expect from top teams tho. But payin with the likes of Valencia and even Lyon feels completely rubbish, even Madrid plays with it's 11 players behind the ball and 8 into the box and your teammates movement on the field is non sense, when you need some player to just stand there for a lateral pass, he runs 10m forward, you can play a simple "pass the ball around" in midfield area, and you have no option close the box, and then i find my bal carrier always so perfectly marked with some ai defender covering perfectly and another cpu player pressing him constantly. I just can't plan my attack the way i could in demos, not much space, not simple and intelligente runs.

I hope there's a massive change in AI movements, how the cpu plays defensively and how the game flows.

Well, the game definetly has some few improvemments, but it's still not enough for me. It seems that it flows better now (-2 speed and 0 bar), passing speed is more like it should be, a short pass doesn't feel like in slow motion as before, i really feel that AI holds a better shape tatically as a team, more organized. It seems that now i have a bit more option to to pass the ball around in the midfield, midfield-defender stands there a bit more, and midfied attackers get back some few yards close to the area as an option to pass.

There are a few things that really make the game feels better in your team, but cpu team still is a BIG problem for me. One thing that annoyes me SO MUCH (and that as a problem in 2011 as well), is how successively attacking players can always drop back to press you. For Cpu teams, it seems that is not enough having one player already convering the ball carrier and forcing him to make a latera pass or even a bacckwards pass to a teammate, tere HAS to be ANOTHER player despotism to drop back to press the ball carrier at the back, ALWAYS, ALWAYS AND ALWAYS. Actualy The WHOLE CPU team does that, it seems to be a cheap stretagy, really. Because of this i end up my attackin plays in a cross. And the nigtmare counter attacks are also annoying, there's aways a cpu team who pass so quickly to an unmarkes attacker, and he just need to shoot, it doesn't feel natural and convincing for me. And it is aso still too easy having 70% ball possession.

Last edited:
The game is definetly more fun now, but it's far from being what it could be, and this is because how cpu plays. It flows better, your teammates movement are more solid, frequent and inteligent.

so got the game back.
Installed the patch and option file again.
5 mins into a game and I get a free kick - put in in the box - paddy Kenny comes out and drops it. I score a tap in.

Not good. Just hope its a one off.

I won 1-0 as I was just playing around with the game and settings.

I wanted to play more but was so tired I went to bed. Mrs SteelHorse is out tonight so Ill give this game a proper going over tonight.

Last edited:
Hope that's a one off mate, I've played both evenings and yet to see any keeper errors at all so far. In fact I was hugely impressed with one save my keeper made, tipped a point blank header over the bar when he had no right to get to the ball at all.

Played a couple of games with the new patch and I must admit the game is much better. The cpu spends a lot less time camped in their own box and actually plays some decent football, almost too good in fact. Played as Chelsea vs Norwich and the passing they did was unbelievable. They played amazing one touch passing right through my defence on many occasions. I would expect it against the top teams but even the lower and Championship teams do it.

However, most of the annoying features are still there:

Clearances still always fall to the cpu attacker which leads to a counter.

The ref is way too biased towards the cpu. I've had disgusting tackles against me and not even given a freekick. However, I do a perfectly timed sliding tackle and take the ball but they give a foul and a yellow card.

And why the hell cant they fix throw ins? Whenever the cpu gets a throw deep in its own half, all of my players have backed right away giving loads of space to choose where they want to throw it!

Chimps can you do another game play file as a lot of players are now too fast and too good

I will have something out, but I doubt it will be in the next few days. I had a frustrating night editing last night. If you take some of the ridiculous dribbling of some players, their team poses far less of a threat up front. Players like Ibrahimovic are ludicrous with 1.02 on.

I am also frustrated with some teams looking like the game should be played on 0 speed and others feeling like that is way too fast and you need -1 at least.

Formations also need looked at, as anything that doesn't have any midfielders pushed into the oppositions half leads to the oppositions being stuck in their half. The games doesn't really work with 1 or 2 up front by themselves.

For me what it's notorious as an improvement is how the game flows (-2 and 0 bar passing), much better, and i definetly has more passing options, more intelligent movement. However, i still feel that CPU AI defensively should not use a palyer for a cover and always putting some other player to drop back and press the ball carrier al the time. WHen you are aready covered by a cpu dafender, there shouldn't another one always trying to press and steal the ball.

Last edited:
Played a couple of games with the new patch and I must admit the game is much better. The cpu spends a lot less time camped in their own box and actually plays some decent football, almost too good in fact. Played as Chelsea vs Norwich and the passing they did was unbelievable. They played amazing one touch passing right through my defence on many occasions. I would expect it against the top teams but even the lower and Championship teams do it.

However, most of the annoying features are still there:

Clearances still always fall to the cpu attacker which leads to a counter.

The ref is way too biased towards the cpu. I've had disgusting tackles against me and not even given a freekick. However, I do a perfectly timed sliding tackle and take the ball but they give a foul and a yellow card.

And why the hell cant they fix throw ins? Whenever the cpu gets a throw deep in its own half, all of my players have backed right away giving loads of space to choose where they want to throw it!

Agree totally! This was my main point yesterday, I was really happy with the possession stats side of things in patch 1.02, really happy. But the trade off is that the CPU, on Top and Superstar, after a period of playing it, you'll see are too overpowered/cheaty. My point about Newcastle yesterday wasn't to offend, they are a really good side. But I shouldn't be having Danny Guthrie slaloming through my midfield, triggering off killer one touch passes here and there, literally dicing a next to useless Carragher apart time and again. I actually feel the tackling (stand/hold/jockey whatever you call it) is harder to contain in this new patch.

On the PS3, with Chimps patch it is very good. BUT, I still feel that the CPU at the higher levels is simply too good and precise in and around your penalty area, I feel the game has become a bit of an attack fest now, with almost every CPU attack on the higher levels ending with a shot on goal.

I took a breath yesterday and re-installed my PC setup that was virtually football heaven. Slower, stunning kits etc, my scoreboards, gameplay 1.01 tweaked with Jenkeys, on Superstar.

The game was instantly more balanced, had some lovely low scoring games, won a few, lost a few. Drew a game in which Newcastle had a CPU player sent off after 20 minutes, straight red for a disgraceful tackle on Suarez, totally a red card, but was totally shocked that the ref called it right. The ball is more balanced where it is bouncing, headers are truly 50-50 again. And I can defend properly. That Newcastle game I mentioned was pure class....1-1 it finished with them down to 10 men, their goal was a lovely move (not scipted bullshit) which was half-volleyed in after a cross. My guy jumped but was too high for him, their guy swooped in behind for the finish, was TOTALLY AUTHENTIC. I battered Newcastle for the last fifteen minutes, hit the post, the bar, and their keeper had a worldy. I played this on 17 minute gametime, 1-1 perfect sim.

If I played the new game on 17 minute gametime, the score would be 5-4 or something, with me suffering PES rage.

I will have something out, but I doubt it will be in the next few days. I had a frustrating night editing last night. If you take some of the ridiculous dribbling of some players, their team poses far less of a threat up front. Players like Ibrahimovic are ludicrous with 1.02 on.

I am also frustrated with some teams looking like the game should be played on 0 speed and others feeling like that is way too fast and you need -1 at least.

Formations also need looked at, as anything that doesn't have any midfielders pushed into the oppositions half leads to the oppositions being stuck in their half. The games doesn't really work with 1 or 2 up front by themselves.

I noticed that too, played arsenal last night on -2 game speed and it was like pinball

Are you looking at lower stats again, or is it worth testing without you're gameplay patch and go from there?

Do you have the original file without you're gameplay patch? If so can you upload it so as I can test it out

Don't agree:TTTH: Pes animations are acceptable. Some of them are really nice but some of them are ugly. Average is acceptable. People make one big mistake. They mix animations and technically aspect of the game with pure game play.

Back
Top Bottom