PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

great write up chimps, much appreciated. But how about the speed merchant cards?? I find it makes messi and co. that much more untouchable.

Plus, does increasing the defense stat increase the likelihood of making a clean tackle?

After weeks of wondering why the game doesn't click with me i finally decided that maybe i was doing something wrong. So i decided to try a plethora of different seating positions until i finally found one that did the game justice. I sat on the floor, i stood up, went outside and tried to play through the window, i even hopped on one leg for a while and still found the game wouldn't click for me. That is until i finally decided to lay on my belly on the floor like a snake. Now suddenly i'm finding the game an absolute delight and it plays so realistically and doesn't frustrate me at all anymore. It's not just a placebo effect honest. Konami should put a warning label on the box saying that the game may not work well from out of the box so you should try everything in your power to actually make the game enjoyable including altering your seating position, the amount of furniture in your room, your Chinese Zodiac sign, how close you are to Puerto Rico etc etc

I read that you should lie on the floor whilst maintaining the ''scorpio kick'' position for full enjoyment. :))

After weeks of wondering why the game doesn't click with me i finally decided that maybe i was doing something wrong. So i decided to try a plethora of different seating positions until i finally found one that did the game justice. I sat on the floor, i stood up, went outside and tried to play through the window, i even hopped on one leg for a while and still found the game wouldn't click for me. That is until i finally decided to lay on my belly on the floor like a snake. Now suddenly i'm finding the game an absolute delight and it plays so realistically and doesn't frustrate me at all anymore. It's not just a placebo effect honest. Konami should put a warning label on the box saying that the game may not work well from out of the box so you should try everything in your power to actually make the game enjoyable including altering your seating position, the amount of furniture in your room, your Chinese Zodiac sign, how close you are to Puerto Rico etc etc

:WORSHIP:

To be honest, I've also been getting frustrated with the game this year, namely the passing... Yesterday I forced myself to use L2 for longer through passes, and - wow, the difference it makes!

Now I still lose games, but instead of the ball being passed to the wrong place because of the CPU assisting me, it's all my fault.

And this way I don't have to set the passing assistance to a level so low that even the close passes seem to be done by players with two left feet.

I'm happy with this compromise - let's hope it stays fun that way!

Does anyone find the accumulated fatigue really too much in PES 2012??
I mean I regularly give my players a rest for 1-2 sometimes even 3 consecutive games but their stamina increases veeery slowly..
So ATM I have Vidic and Ferdinand (and most others too) almost out of stamina after playing about 25 games in league, CL and FA Cup.
Am I doing something wrong here??
Thanks in advance people :)

PS: I don't use R1 (sprint) too much when on defense ;)

I don't have that issue.

You are using Condtioning training I presume?

Actually, I really notice a difference with each performance by varying the training method each week.

For the tougher games I pick Techincal/Strategy (can't remember what it's called) and the players *seem* to play with more game intelligence (placebo I guess).

I don't have that issue.

You are using Condtioning training I presume?

Actually, I really notice a difference with each performance by varying the training method each week.

For the tougher games I pick Techincal/Strategy (can't remember what it's called) and the players *seem* to play with more game intelligence (placebo I guess).

Thanks for replying mate but I am talking about a simple League season (which includes CL and FA Cup) and not the Master League. So I don't think that training applies to a simple league season right? (there is no training option I believe..) :)

just switched to my 32 lcd 1366x768 res...and all i can say is...wow...it's really amazing how this game change drastically in terms of smoothness, responsivness,fluidity..pes gets definitely a new life :BOP:.just played on superstar level 1.01 gamespeed on -1 Spurs(me) - Swansea 1-1 .They keep a real posession as they should do ( 57%) , real tight game, no cpu ping pong passes, most of the time they pressed me in the midfield ( things i never noticed before on my 22"lcd 1680x1050). i'm sure it's not a placebo effect as i kept on playing using different teams and the results are quitely the same.

Thanks for replying mate but I am talking about a simple League season (which includes CL and FA Cup) and not the Master League. So I don't think that training applies to a simple league season right? (there is no training option I believe..) :)

Ah, sorry, a bit ignorant of me.

Yes, I think you're right in that there's no training in the standard season mode.

In which case, the problem you've noticed is a bit rubbish. I guess Konami are pushing the Football Life side of the game so won't spend too much time tweaking the mode you use.

Nevermind that I done a Euro chamipnsiup with spain and after qualifing the 3 group games I had to play a reserve team for the quarter final as all my1st were exhausted from playing the 3 group league games.

Defo needs to be fixed.

Does anyone find the accumulated fatigue really too much in PES 2012??
I mean I regularly give my players a rest for 1-2 sometimes even 3 consecutive games but their stamina increases veeery slowly..
So ATM I have Vidic and Ferdinand (and most others too) almost out of stamina after playing about 25 games in league, CL and FA Cup.
Am I doing something wrong here??
Thanks in advance people :)

PS: I don't use R1 (sprint) too much when on defense ;)

when starting a normal league mode you can switch accumalated fatigue off in options at the start of the season, best fix with out editing the players stamina.

Like how most of the recent posts have been fairly positive about the game.
Personally, I love it.
When i'm not playing it, i'm constantly talking about it and thinking about tactics/formations/settings etc.
I'm already into my second season on ML, played a few CL on professional, 2v2 sessions on friday nights with the lads and countless online matches.
I'm with Jimmy, not going to read certain posts anymore. This blows 2011 out of the water easily.
I'm now intrigued to see what 1.02 brings. It's not perfect but it's bloody good.

@LTFC

I can genuinely say pes 12 is my all time favourite football sim, however I completely understand your frustrations regarding offline play against the AI and I know you aint moaning due to being a bad loser(although like me that might be a small part of it haha).

I removed the patch and only play superstar offline ML , - 2 speed 0 pass assist. Some of the balancing acts in this game(ie scripting, rubberbanding whatever you wanna call it) are ridiculous and almost insult your intelligence. I cant be arsed naming specifics(slightly bored of scripted debate), in my opinion konami need to tone it down slightly.

The positive far out ways the bad for me with this game but some of the things I see in offline master league are so obvious sometimes. No point creating fantastic AI to then undermine it with cheap AI exploits. I have also scored goals that almost felt set up by the game on pes 2011 and 2012. It really pisses me off when people think if you talk about scripting your being a bad loser etc, the scripting in pes is a flaw that needs to be addressed and I say this as a huge fan who is about to sit on their arse and play master league for the rest of the night.

Last edited:
Totally agree that this is the best PES to date.
I'm only playing offline against the AI and against friends and I can say that on Superstar and Top Player levels the AI provides a very good challenge.
I have seen all kinds of goals scored by the CPU from simple headers to 1-2s and screamers a long way outside the penalty box.
The off-ball movement is the best to date I believe both for the cpu team and also for the players on your team.
But the thing that pushes me to the limit is the way you have to defend on PES 2012. It has been completely changed from the previous versions and now you can't just hold the X button and chase down opposing players disposing them off the ball. You actually have to close down space and ALWAYS be between the attacker and the goal or you will get beaten every time. And that's the way real defense is played also on real matches.
Of course there are niggles here and there including sometimes horrible goalies, accumulated fatigue is a joke as I wrote before and when the CPU gets a free kick on a good position right outside the box almost everytime it is going on goal. Only one or two times have I seen the ball hitting the wall which is not realistic at all.
All in all PES 2012 for me playing on Superstar level and only on -2 speed (most realistic by a mile for me) is the best PES experience to date.
I am only hoping for the best for the next release or even for the next patch ;)
Just my 2c

DO you guys play amster league with old default fake players, or current team squads?

what team do you usually go and what league/country

when the CPU gets a free kick on a good position right outside the box almost everytime it is going on goal. Only one or two times have I seen the ball hitting the wall which is not realistic at all.

Fair enough but tbh any time I as a (human) get a fk near box I pretty much score 100% off time also especially if have a decent FK taker.

Yup I know what u mean mate so it is unfair for both the user and the CPU.
IMO it should more difficult to score free kicks for both sides :)

recently played pes5 and 6. Pes 5 i score so many easily. But Pes 6 was much harder, this one seems pretty easy so far!!

FIFA 12 (here I go again?) I dunno I rarely score, but I have not practices much. I only 80% goal if its near edge box and I hold r1 to drill low round wall.

ALso as for -2 speed. I try it but honestly it feels like the animations are dragging along like some kid off lag. It feels real weird. -1 not so bad.

Im happy with 0. But I see that on -2 or -1 you have more time to thikn when on ball and to construct moves, omre time to create space etc. So in that respect it is good but it just feel weird to me

DO you guys play amster league with old default fake players, or current team squads?

what team do you usually go and what league/country

Default players with low money and preferably on the hardest difficulty level. This year tho I'm playing on Professional as I feel it's hard enough and the CPU has less god-like moments.

I usually play St. Etienne.

@LTFC

I can genuinely say pes 12 is my all time favourite football sim, however I completely understand your frustrations regarding offline play against the AI and I know you aint moaning due to being a bad loser(although like me that might be a small part of it haha).

I removed the patch and only play superstar offline ML , - 2 speed 0 pass assist. Some of the balancing acts in this game(ie scripting, rubberbanding whatever you wanna call it) are ridiculous and almost insult your intelligence. I cant be arsed naming specifics(slightly bored of scripted debate), in my opinion konami need to tone it down slightly.

The positive far out ways the bad for me with this game but some of the things I see in offline master league are so obvious sometimes. No point creating fantastic AI to then undermine it with cheap AI exploits. I have also scored goals that almost felt set up by the game on pes 2011 and 2012. It really pisses me off when people think if you talk about scripting your being a bad loser etc, the scripting in pes is a flaw that needs to be addressed and I say this as a huge fan who is about to sit on their arse and play master league for the rest of the night.

So have you learnt to ignore the AI when it does this? What difficulty & patch combo do you go for (can't believe I actually have to ask for the combination of difficulty and version, but there you go)?

So have you learnt to ignore the AI when it does this? What difficulty & patch combo do you go for (can't believe I actually have to ask for the combination of difficulty and version, but there you go)?
Just had an ML match on professional, version 1.01.
Middle to upper teams, if you like. 5-2 to me. Sensational end to end stuff.
Playing the AI can sometimes be a dull affair, but not in games like this.

Not a case of ignoring it, not like I feel fucked over that often I just hate some of the subtle balancing acts such as cursor changing a second to late so the AI can get the ball etc, majority of rebounds falling perfectly for the AI. Overall I am pretty happy with the AI just feels a bit cheap sometimes.

I play 1.00, superstar difficulty.

@LTFC
I wasn't being selective on purpose mate. I read your whole post. I don't like ridiculous scripting where the one touch passing is sped up to light speed and it looks strange. Since playing on Superstar I haven't seen it. In fact, last night I had a couple of scenarios in one game where Genk had a few goalmouth scrambles and you could feel the goal coming on as it kept falling to them but they missed both chances.

I'm playing a champions league campaign on Superstar using Napoli and have Villareal, Genk and Moscow in my group. I played Genk at home and raced to a 3 nil lead after 30 mins. I couldn't believe it. They started to come back at me, but since I was playing at home they didn't really come out too hard. Ended up 3-1. Next game I played them at their home ground and I was on the backfoot from the start. They played intelligent football and were often switching with a crossfield long ball out to the right side. Not sure who he was but he must have been a target man for them. I love how there's a go to man...much like Jelavic was for Rangers on the demo.

In my last group game I was 2nd and could afford a draw with Genk but if they beat me, they would overtake me in 2nd spot and my Champions League dream would be over. I played with Napoli's default formation of 3 at the back and constantly was being exposed with balls in behind the midfield trying to exploit the defence out wide. Held on 0-0 at half time then decided to change to a 4, 2, 1, 3 formation to give me cover at the back and also allow me to keep the ball going forward. Worked a treat. Scored from a corner and held on for the 1-0.

@Chimps - thanks for the write up on the stat adjustments! I will have to try it out for a couple of teams and play out some games. But I might just wait for the 2nd patch before I do anything comprehensive.

@LTFC
I wasn't being selective on purpose mate. I read your whole post. I don't like ridiculous scripting where the one touch passing is sped up to light speed and it looks strange. Since playing on Superstar I haven't seen it. In fact, last night I had a couple of scenarios in one game where Genk had a few goalmouth scrambles and you could feel the goal coming on as it kept falling to them but they missed both chances.

I'm playing a champions league campaign on Superstar using Napoli and have Villareal, Genk and Moscow in my group. I played Genk at home and raced to a 3 nil lead after 30 mins. I couldn't believe it. They started to come back at me, but since I was playing at home they didn't really come out too hard. Ended up 3-1. Next game I played them at their home ground and I was on the backfoot from the start. They played intelligent football and were often switching with a crossfield long ball out to the right side. Not sure who he was but he must have been a target man for them. I love how there's a go to man...much like Jelavic was for Rangers on the demo.

In my last group game I was 2nd and could afford a draw with Genk but if they beat me, they would overtake me in 2nd spot and my Champions League dream would be over. I played with Napoli's default formation of 3 at the back and constantly was being exposed with balls in behind the midfield trying to exploit the defence out wide. Held on 0-0 at half time then decided to change to a 4, 2, 1, 3 formation to give me cover at the back and also allow me to keep the ball going forward. Worked a treat. Scored from a corner and held on for the 1-0.

@Chimps - thanks for the write up on the stat adjustments! I will have to try it out for a couple of teams and play out some games. But I might just wait for the 2nd patch before I do anything comprehensive.

Fair enough, I didn't mean to come across as being snippy so sorry about that :)

On the positive side, I actually really enjoyed the game tonight. I've removed the patch again, and bumped it up to Superstar, and had a really enjoyable run of games. I also played -2 speed and zero passing assistance.

The first match was a tense 0-0 draw, not what you'd normally expect of a 'pre-patch' game but it was great. Superstar doesn't seem too overpowered with challenges, you can still recover from the stumble animation far quicker and often keep the ball. Being on Superstar, their defences are tight as anything but through better marking rather than packing out the defence. When you get round the back of them you stand a chance because you can actually stretch their defence. Similarly, they throw more players forward.

So anyways, the game ended 0-0, with only three shots per side, but the game still felt less overpowered in challenges etc, and players made more runs (full backs particularly - Lahm once even popped up in the box for a cross). But I think the key difference to making the game feel more enjoyable is the fact that the AI wins the ball with a tackle more than before - post-patch it feels like it drowns you out with pressuring players and physically overpowers you. I'm finding the game pre-patch on Superstar to be just as hard, but in a different way. Chances and goals are still at a premium but there's greater feeling that I could score, and I created a lot more opportunities for a half chance etc in their box without being met with 9 or so defenders. The AI still cuts most of these things out with tight marking, so it doesn't seem to need using half their team to pressure you out once you get near their penalty area.

So maybe I've found my ideal game 'settings' now......:P

I'm also improving at defending I think, I'm finding it impossible to use the tackle button or even jockey your defender 'into' the AI attacker. My best method so far is to keep pace with someone running at you, maintain distance, which usually holds up the attacker, and use secondary press to bring over another attacker to pressure him. This was enabling me to concentrate more on cutting out passing lanes with my player under my control rather than constantly rushing towards the attacker, which seems impossible to do half the time. Other than that I'm winning more tackles by just running the player into the guy with the ball manually, with no other controls used.

Last edited:
I'm playing post-patch on professional and even tho the CPU camps out the defence, the game is feeling nicer, apart from some cheesy AI moments, like Gameiro running through six defenders and scoring from a shot my GK could've stopped.

Some goals are the same but I'm feeling like overall, PES 2012 is better than 2011 for having more features and feeling more fluid. Should be a treat with some stat editing, as I feel some players shoot the ball like 5year old kids who cannot walk, but that's another story.

Iv'e also done some edits to tactics ltfc, I have a great mixture of tight matches, open matches slug fests etc without the patch on superstar whereas with the patch it almost felt like a better version of fifa 11(not a complement by the way.

Pretty much agree with what you say LTFC, great challenge yet more free than with the patch if that makes sense. -2 allows you to dictate the pace and gives more variety to matches, when using higher difficulties the speed increases anyway due to different factors so this speed represents a good balance.

Back
Top Bottom