PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Press L1 and R3 together - gives you control of the keeper. Move him to the centre of the goals. I find that if I don;t transfer control back to the CPU just before the free is taken, the goal will often be conceded.

Doesn't work online, where the improbable goals are ten-a-penny. :RANT:

Cheers

Well finally got the game the day before yesterday, only have a handful of games under my belt though. I installed the patch to test that version before the patchless one. Very quick impressions: Varies wildly from very enjoyable to not so enjoyable. I'm enjoying the attacking buildup, even if too many goals are coming from crosses. But the CPU sometimes gets into this crazy zone, even on professional, where the players ping the ball all around the place, perfect passes every time no matter how the angle is between passer and receiver. on -2 speed, I just sit and watch, have no chance of gettin in there. Then it sort of eases back into playing normally.

+ The truth unveiled. :APPLAUD: Please send this to Murphy and Seabass. Is all between these words.

It's a shame to see what happens with Konami on this generation. :SHAKE:

He's stating the obvious but stating the obvious about PES on it's default settings :TTTH:

I mean if he comes back and says. "Oh shit, i didn't try to change the gamespeed settings to -2 or change pass assistance and the game is brilliant on these settings, i'm sorry". All that talk was 'ironiclly' a placebo. that will help? Well nobody and all it does it put people off playig the game.

Don't champion negativity for the sake of it! Actually truly to understand how he's playing the game and get a clear view in what he's doing.

Press L1 and R3 together - gives you control of the keeper. Move him to the centre of the goals. I find that if I don;t transfer control back to the CPU just before the free is taken, the goal will often be conceded.

Doesn't work online, where the improbable goals are ten-a-penny. :RANT:

I usually put a man on the goal line, lining up with the wall. If it goes to his direction, sometimes he clears it off the line, sometimes he misses it!

Sometimes the menu screen movie plays for a good 20-30 second before the rest of the options in the menu bar catch up and appear on screen. Does anyone else experience this? Any way to fix it? I'm on Daymos' version 1.2 option file.

With 2011 load times increased quite a bit when I used Dragonskin's patch on the 360.

Last edited:
You cant. Why not use the 4-Preset Tactics for your formations and line-ups. That way you have 4 x 3 save-slots. Which gives you 12 options in total.

Thanks for that, but I was thinking more along the lines of having different tactics for different teams.

I guess I'll just have to make more personal data files, and use them like the old PS2 tactical save options.

As I said earlier with my sldiers I felt with FIFA 12 I made an old PES on PS2 kinda game.

Have a look and watch highlights....what do you think?

YouTube - spain game.wmv

Sitting in an airport. Flight delayed due to bad weather. Fighting off a bad cold. Haven't played PES12 since Sunday. Decided to log in to catch up and see this load of crap. Since I have time to burn, I'll dismantle your video for you and hope I never have to hear about how great FIFA is again.

1) FIFA is supposed to have some intelligent defense system, right? Look at the 1st goal, right at the 4 sec mark we see this toally hideous excuse for defensive AI for Spain. The Spanish defender at the top right corner of the pk box backpedals allowing an attacker to enter the box unchallenged as a passing option for the ball carrier. My son's 9 year old team wouldn't do that, let alone the defending Euro and WC champs. But it gets better. As the ball carrier passes the ball to the top of the box, the defender decides to just stand there and not close the receiver down. Not saying he would have gotten there on time, but he would have at least moved towards the intended pass receiver. Hey, but look at that smooth animation when he sticks out his leg to block the shot. FIFA definitely nails that!!

2) On the second goal, why does the defender closest to the attacker receiving the through ball slow down to the point that the next defender (a good 5 yards behind him catches up. Maybe he was injured? Maybe FIFA 12 like every FIFA before it becomes a fast-break scoring fest and the defensive AI plays into this? Hey, but the animation for the shot and the goalie diving - spot on!! I would shell out $60 for those animations alone!

3)Third goal, wow, another one-on-one with the goalie. So let me get this straight - dribbler going through the Spain defense (ok, this could happen), another defender a couple of yards away clearly looking at the ball, sees his mate getting beaten and doesn't hustle his ass off to close down. In fact if you watch the instant the dribbler clearly has his defender beaten, that other defender turns away for a split second. Oh, and why did the Spain defender who was next to the dribbler turn and move upfield? Another example of the mighty defense that has brought Spain to the top of the soccer world.

4) The Iniesta shot hitting the post. Why does the defender who can close him down stop letting him go to goal? Also notice #7 at the bottom of the box. He goes to close down Iniesta but runs to where Iniesta is at that moment, not anticipating where Inieast is running to. Terrible and I would have turned off the game at this point.

5) Dribbler coming into the box at the top of the screen. Why does the defender stop and let him go in?

Ok, I've had enough. Can we stop it with this FIFA plays like PES bullsit? Your video only proves what those of us who actually enjoy a proper soccer match HATE about FIFA.

i am really missing the weight players used to have in the ps2 days.
you just don't feel that in this game.

Sitting in an airport. Flight delayed due to bad weather. Fighting off a bad cold. Haven't played PES12 since Sunday. Decided to log in to catch up and see this load of crap. Since I have time to burn, I'll dismantle your video for you and hope I never have to hear about how great FIFA is again.

1) FIFA is supposed to have some intelligent defense system, right? Look at the 1st goal, right at the 4 sec mark we see this toally hideous excuse for defensive AI for Spain. The Spanish defender at the top right corner of the pk box backpedals allowing an attacker to enter the box unchallenged as a passing option for the ball carrier. My son's 9 year old team wouldn't do that, let alone the defending Euro and WC champs. But it gets better. As the ball carrier passes the ball to the top of the box, the defender decides to just stand there and not close the receiver down. Not saying he would have gotten there on time, but he would have at least moved towards the intended pass receiver. Hey, but look at that smooth animation when he sticks out his leg to block the shot. FIFA definitely nails that!!

2) On the second goal, why does the defender closest to the attacker receiving the through ball slow down to the point that the next defender (a good 5 yards behind him catches up. Maybe he was injured? Maybe FIFA 12 like every FIFA before it becomes a fast-break scoring fest and the defensive AI plays into this? Hey, but the animation for the shot and the goalie diving - spot on!! I would shell out $60 for those animations alone!

3)Third goal, wow, another one-on-one with the goalie. So let me get this straight - dribbler going through the Spain defense (ok, this could happen), another defender a couple of yards away clearly looking at the ball, sees his mate getting beaten and doesn't hustle his ass off to close down. In fact if you watch the instant the dribbler clearly has his defender beaten, that other defender turns away for a split second. Oh, and why did the Spain defender who was next to the dribbler turn and move upfield? Another example of the mighty defense that has brought Spain to the top of the soccer world.

4) The Iniesta shot hitting the post. Why does the defender who can close him down stop letting him go to goal? Also notice #7 at the bottom of the box. He goes to close down Iniesta but runs to where Iniesta is at that moment, not anticipating where Inieast is running to. Terrible and I would have turned off the game at this point.

5) Dribbler coming into the box at the top of the screen. Why does the defender stop and let him go in?

Ok, I've had enough. Can we stop it with this FIFA plays like PES bullsit? Your video only proves what those of us who actually enjoy a proper soccer match HATE about FIFA.

3 key points.

1. I am only playing on pro.

2. I reduced the CPU marking to make it easier to get chances as default marking is tight as hell.

3. I never said it was reaslitic, sure as hell was fun to play like old PES...FUN....unlike recent PES games...though cant comment on pes 2012 until it comes in the post.

Also, aint as if PEs is always perfect AI+cpu..you could scrutinize ome off the AI on regular and see some quite silly things also.

Read my username.. I aint a FIFA fanboy lol

Last edited:
Has anyone played normal league mode? I have played as Valencia in La Liga and Liverpool in the Premiership and both times found that stamina/fatigue dosent recover even when you rest players for 5-6 games. Also is anyone getting penalties against the computer, i have played over 100 games and not won any but should of had three definate pens. Cheers

3 key points.

1. I am only playing on pro.

2. I reduced the CPU marking to make it easier to get chances as default marking is tight as hell.

3. I never said it was reaslitic, sure as hell was fun to play like old PES...FUN....unlike recent PES games...though cant comment on pes 2012 until it comes in the post.

Also, aint as if PEs is always perfect AI+cpu..you could scrutinize ome off the AI on regular and see some quite silly things also.

Read my username.. I aint a FIFA fanboy lol

"Old PES" was never "fun" because of dumb AI. It was "fun" because it rewarded the gamer with different scoring and attack combinations that were a result of your tactics and decisions. I find nothing "fun" about beating Spain 4-3. Old PES was about beating a team as good as Spain 1-0 with an early counter-attack goal and holding on for dear life, or a late goal that had you jumping off your sofa in joy. Of the hilights you showed, 4 of them were of a breakaway where an attacker finds himself alone in front of goal. That's FIFA - sliders or no sliders. Has always been, will always be. That someone who claims to be pes4lyfe would put up that video and claim that it's in the same universe as anything ever put out by PES on PS2 is truly remarkable. But hey, I just may be a bit grumpier today than usual!

As I said earlier with my sldiers I felt with FIFA 12 I made an old PES on PS2 kinda game.

YouTube - spain game.wmv

Defence AI still looks bloody awful tbh which is the reason i have not picked up Fifa for the 4th year running.

However the shooting looks stunning this year and from what i have heard from just about everybody it is.

"Old PES" was never "fun" because of dumb AI. It was "fun" because it rewarded the gamer with different scoring and attack combinations that were a result of your tactics and decisions. I find nothing "fun" about beating Spain 4-3. Old PES was about beating a team as good as Spain 1-0 with an early counter-attack goal and holding on for dear life, or a late goal that had you jumping off your sofa in joy. Of the hilights you showed, 4 of them were of a breakaway where an attacker finds himself alone in front of goal. That's FIFA - sliders or no sliders. Has always been, will always be. That someone who claims to be pes4lyfe would put up that video and claim that it's in the same universe as anything ever put out by PES on PS2 is truly remarkable. But hey, I just may be a bit grumpier today than usual!

btw I was spain and I won 4-3 vs turkey

This was a rare game. Most my games are close and low scoring. I dont know what happened here. I scored 3 goals in 10mins 70,75,80? 2 were unstoppable screamers. 3+4.

Goal number 1 was a possible PEs goal, lofted through ball on counter 1v1 gk, score.

Goal number 2 possible old pes goal, cross near post, header, goal, though I admit the defender oddly ran away from me.

Goals, 3 and 4 were unstoppable very good goals only scored due to skill. And goals easily seen time and time again by better players on the old PES.

As for CPU goals.

1 was a screamer but were was my marking? he was free to make shot, so defo bad AI there.

NO 2, the strong forward jostled passed my defender and scored similar to goal 3. Maybe my defending was poor.

Defence AI still looks bloody awful tbh which is the reason i have not picked up Fifa for the 4th year running.

However the shooting looks stunning this year and from what i have heard from just about everybody it is.

IMO defense AI only looks stupid as I play on pro and reduced some defending quailty.

If you play on world class or legendary your lucky if you get any clear cut chances. But the games are boring.

I admit the way I have set up FIFA kinda compromises defensive skills for attacking play but I sure as hell am enjoying it realistic or not I cant put it down. Scoring some wonder goals and varied goals as you can see. Poor defensive AI at times? Perhaps? Fun to play? you bettya.

YouTube - spain game.wmv

I think it looks like an easier version of PES6 but the defensive lines are high. Maybe tweak the sliders down with line height. :))

I think some peole will like that, for me i don't like that sort of end to end gameplay vs the CPU, gets boring and tedious beating the AI time to time scoring the same similar goals. You can see why those who liked PES now play FIFA :)

You say your having fun so thats the most important thing. FIFA can give you fun, entertaining affairs but it seems its never going to have the tactical depth even of the old PS2 PES games however :(

EDIT: btw the defensive lines shouldn't be a factor of proffesional. i'm not sure about world class but on Legendary they cheat ridiculously, i mean fucking ridiculously badly!!

I think it looks like an easier version of PES6 but the defensive lines are high. Maybe tweak the sliders down with line height. :))

I think some peole will like that, for me i don't like that sort of end to end gameplay vs the CPU, gets boring and tedious beating the AI time to time scoring the same similar goals. You can see why those who liked PES now play FIFA :)

You say your having fun so thats the most important thing. FIFA can give you fun, entertaining affairs but it seems its never going to have the tactical depth even of the old PS2 PES games however :(

EDIT: btw the defensive lines shouldn't be a factor of proffesional. i'm not sure about world class but on Legendary they cheat ridiculously, i mean fucking ridiculously badly!!

Interesting I may edit the defensive lines/height sliders? what you suggest?

As I said this game was really rare though. The 1st half ended 1-0 to turkey goodness knows what the players ate at half time? Usually my games are close with maybe only 1-3 goals. Not like this and I scored 3 goals in 10mins. I scored 2 screamers back to back. This game was crazy thats why I made video to show. You sometimes got games like this on PES4 I think.

I dont think FIfa lacks total tactical depth as I really can feel different games by changing tactics/formations and using different players.

Last edited:
I dont know if it's just me, but I wish there was some other football game except for PES or FIFA to play. Even if it wasnt that good, but I think the football gaming community needs something fresh. Something like Football Kingdom.

YouTube - Joe Hart is a Ghost.mp4

anybody else get this happening?

I had this the other night, didnt go through the body but right through the palm of the hand, i thought it was an amazing goal at first then watched the replay which took away the shine of the goal :(

I dont know if it's just me, but I wish there was some other football game except for PES or FIFA to play. Even if it wasnt that good, but I think the football gaming community needs something fresh. Something like Football Kingdom.

Football Kingdom wouldnt be fresh and tbh it's was shit! The only thing it had going for it was net physics.

Interesting I may edit the defensive lines/height sliders? what you suggest?

As I said this game was really rare though. The 1st half ended 1-0 to turkey goodness knows what the player ate at half time? Usually my games are close with maybe only 1-3 goals. Not like this and I scored 3 goals in 10mins. I scored 2 screamers back to back. This game was crazy thats why I made video to show. You sometimes got games like this on PES4 I think.

I dont think FIfa lacks total tactical depth as I really can feel different games by changing tactics/formations and using different players.

I hated PES 4, i played it a lot but it was horrible, players ran in a weird way and all sorts of annoyances!

It was far, far better than FIFA 2005 which i loved at the time still. Even back then me being very much behind FIFA getting better, editing the AI script file and all sorts :LOL: .

FIFA is terrible though when it comes to tactics because basically. 'One tactic fits all'. Its a game where you use the 'golden tactic' Just one setting which works for every team not matter how you play. Custom tactics is shit because no matter how you set your team much and how you play, Putting pressure to 100 just helps you and makes it easier to tackle. Even if you are playing with TD and your looking to play contain. You put pressure on 100 regardless because it helps position your players better to make interceptions.

Custom tactics have been left to rot really since 09, the whole tactical interface is slow, outdated and clunky which sums up where EA's priorites with their gameplay is.

The essence of tactics is simply giving your team instructions which suit their individual attributes in beating the opposition. FIFA individuallity being so low dosen't help either. Tactics aren't for everyone, some just want to play and not bother with tactics since it's not football manager. FIFA despite being shit in this area might still offer enough for you :)

Also i played two games of MLO on PS3, i mean it's very clearly an arcade game online, no doubt but i like it because i don't take it seriously online as a sim like i do offline with -2 etc... I mean i could tell straight away playing with the default ML players with 4 bar passing and looking at how dogshit their attributes where yet i could dribble and turn with ease with anyone. Despite that there was still tactical to an extent and still individuallity, not too much but no every player is as fast as nimble as the next, but they all have mad ball control.

This is what i think is fucking ridiculous when naive critics come and bash PES as a sim playing on the default on online settings but know fuck all about playing on slower seeds and with 0 passing bars.

Anyway who wants to see my sexy goal i scored with Ettori

+1. In one word Arcadey. It looks crap, it feels crap, it is crap.
The point is this game is completely the opposite of simulation. The goals look so easy to come by, and massively scripted.
If you show these goals again, please post them on another forum.
Thankyou for putting me off fifa for life.

People talk about PEs as the holy grail of football sims etc..

But if you back and play pes 1-6 right now you will see its even more arcadey than current FIFAs.

I think people lose a lot off memory over the years.

Anyway I like video games to be fun. Sometimes full realism/simualtion is not a fun game.

I mean whats more fun flying a plane on flight sim or a plane on battlefield?

Believe me I was pes4lyfe. I played PES from N64 up til Pes5 2-5hrs per day every day no jokes.

Realistic or not, simulation or arcade, etc....All I know is I cant stop playing fifa with my settings. I have not been as addicted to a football game since PES5. Since PES5 I have only played PES5 and a bit PES6 as no football game has kept me entertained.

FIFA 12 with sliders is the 1st footy game in over 5 years that I have been addicted to and really enjoy.

I aint FIFA or PES fanboy. I acknowleded the truth that PES was amazing and FIFA was crap until the release of next-gen consoles.

FIFA or PES dont matter the name all I know is when I play FIFA 12 with sliders I am as hooked as I was on PEs1,2,3,4,5.

Well off course its all a personal thing. Unless you have played game extensively with my sliders you cant judge. Cause when i play fifa deafult settings I cant stand the game.

I just thought id share because I am PES no1 fan and tbh cant believe what im typing lol.

Well I didnt like PES 2012 demo seems so stale and blocky and lacks fun and colour and vibe off fifa also.

But I get PEs 2012 from amazon by weekend. Then i can see if it is any good also.

Last edited:
The goals look so easy to come by, and massively scripted.

tbh so do many off the goals in PES. even in PES 2010,2011 and 2012 demo i reguarly score screamers from miles out and it feels far to easy. It feels harder on fifa.

As for PES1-6 etc...it was also easy and arcadey do you forget. Get r.carlos or recoba etc...angle up 35-40yds out shoot top corner, boom , goal. every time. Or the common through ball goals etc...I aint slating the game just statitng reality

SeriosulY i think people forget how arcadey and easy glory goals were and still are on PES with good teams/players. Though i acknowledge PEs had better player individuality and better defensive AI. though player indivdiaulity on FIFA 12 is far improved since FIFA 10,11.

IMO FIFA glory distance strikes are rare. But I tweaked my sliders to make it a bit easier.

Last edited:
I hated PES 4, i played it a lot but it was horrible, players ran in a weird way and all sorts of annoyances!

It was far, far better than FIFA 2005 which i loved at the time still. Even back then me being very much behind FIFA getting better, editing the AI script file and all sorts :LOL: .

FIFA is terrible though when it comes to tactics because basically. 'One tactic fits all'. Its a game where you use the 'golden tactic' Just one setting which works for every team not matter how you play. Custom tactics is shit because no matter how you set your team much and how you play, Putting pressure to 100 just helps you and makes it easier to tackle. Even if you are playing with TD and your looking to play contain. You put pressure on 100 regardless because it helps position your players better to make interceptions.

Custom tactics have been left to rot really since 09, the whole tactical interface is slow, outdated and clunky which sums up where EA's priorites with their gameplay is.

The essence of tactics is simply giving your team instructions which suit their individual attributes in beating the opposition. FIFA individuallity being so low dosen't help either. Tactics aren't for everyone, some just want to play and not bother with tactics since it's not football manager. FIFA despite being shit in this area might still offer enough for you :)

Also i played two games of MLO on PS3, i mean it's very clearly an arcade game online, no doubt but i like it because i don't take it seriously online as a sim like i do offline with -2 etc... I mean i could tell straight away playing with the default ML players with 4 bar passing and looking at how dogshit their attributes where yet i could dribble and turn with ease with anyone. Despite that there was still tactical to an extent and still individuallity, not too much but no every player is as fast as nimble as the next, but they all have mad ball control.

This is what i think is fucking ridiculous when naive critics come and bash PES as a sim playing on the default on online settings but know fuck all about playing on slower seeds and with 0 passing bars.

Anyway who wants to see my sexy goal i scored with Ettori

I dotn knwo about custom tactis and stuff I barley experimented with it.

What I meant is formations and players. If I have fast wingers and play 4-3-3 i can feel the effect of fast wigngers and tall strogn middle striker. If I play 442 with smae players its not as effective.

Likewise if I play 4-3-3 with 3 big stirkers it doesnt work.

If I have a good long range shooter in attacking central midfield I can utilise him.

So in that respect I feel FIFA does have a 'feel' to it with various tactical adaptations etc.

However, no games come close to old pes on ps2 for true individuailty.

But in fifa things to matter.

Neymar can dribble like easily

Drogba can power past defenders

Kompany is a beast to try to get past

Fast players feel fast and clinical finishers always score.
And this is also apparent with the cpu. As I Said PAto scored 3 goals against me. He only had 4 chacnes. So clinical. When the cpu gets in on goal with Villa or Tevez or Aguero or BEzema they score 9/10 times. They get through on goal with average joe they can still miss.

CPU has C.ronaldo or MEssi or Ozil or robinho they skin you with skill moves etc....its quite good.

Sorry to keep banging on about the patch thing, but I played a number of games version 1.0 tonight, felt 'okay', but too open, too many counter attacks.

I then switched it back to version 1.01 and it felt miles better. Having initially thought the game was miles better pre-patch, I'm now back the other way. I think it's just practice and learning the game. Like I said before, using liberal use of direction control really opens up the game, allows you to keep possession and shield far better.

Something was changed for the better post-patch IMO. The game plays at a more balanced, slower pace, I might be imagining it but the ball physics feel more solid, and the AI, while sitting back very deep, still allow for the game to take place in midfield a whole lot more than pre-patch, which as I said, was a constant counter attacking fest with players all over the park.

It all comes down to preference. I don't like that, others do. However, the increased difficulty with dribbling etc is far better. It gives players like Ozil (when I played Germany v Denmark tonight) a whole new importance. I generally ended up using my players to keep the ball moving, but when I got it to Ozil he had the capacity to open up the Denmark defence with speed bursts, regularly side stepping players etc. This has great implications for Football Life etc, as signing players with such technical ability will make you want to build a team around them.

I also feel like the slower pace of the game makes players feel more individual in terms of their first touch etc.

Just my thoughts, but after spending a week with version 1.00 then going back to 1.01 I can immediately see where Konami have changed it for the better. The keepers are MILES better, and though many people's criticism of the patch is in places justified, mine included, I think that learning to use the inertia and subtle movements of players especially on -2 speed has meant that the AI doesn't seem so brutal after all.

Couple this with the visual improvement using my 3D TV and I'm one happy camper after all :)

Little tip for anyone wanting to improve the look of their game, as others have already said;

- increase the sharpness setting on your TV
- increase the brightness setting in-game
- decrease the green colour setting in-game by -1

Makes it look a whole lot better.

So, to FL. Gonna go Professional, then maybe after a while try Superstar for a laugh, I've heard it's more balanced than Top Player so I might skip that entirely when I need to increase the difficulty.

S.

I think it's just practice and learning the game. .

This I fidn interesting because something that was really prominent to me was upon the release off every new PES i hated it.

PES 1 amazing, buy PES2 wtf I hate this game...2 weeks later learn it OMG PEs2 is much better

Buy PES3...wtf is this crap...2-3 weeks later OMG PES3 is amazing

And so on...anyone else fidn this.

Also the shooting was always tweaked so if you shot in pes2 liek pes1 its wild and pes3 like pes2 wild etc...

Maybe thats what you are feeling with the patch.

I dont think we have ever had a proper football sim, imo Fifa 08 was most likely the biggest sim attempt we have seen.

PES has always been the perfect balance of arcade and sim (the good PES games that is, forget about PES 2008-2011) and this year is no different.

Back
Top Bottom