PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

I love -2, this the most realstic setting, but -2 is not for everyone, i might be for you, it might not.

I suggest you try it for a few games but the most important thing is to play around with the settings and find which one suits you the best.

I love -2, this the most realstic setting, but -2 is not for everyone, i might be for you, it might not.

I suggest you try it for a few games but the most important thing is to play around with the settings and find which one suits you the best.

-2 aint realistic, football is not an ultra slow game, maybe it's realistic if you watch reruns of Serie A in the 90's but that was thern not now football is fast and dynamic.

Game is fantastic without the patch. I just wish lazy konami would have included the option to edit goal/nets to our liking. I have no idea why they allow us to edit stadiums, pitch, fences, layouts, but NO GOAL/NETS!!!

Konami really boggles my mind.

-2 aint realistic, football is not an ultra slow game, maybe it's realistic if you watch reruns of Serie A in the 90's but that was thern not now football is fast and dynamic.

Thats what i thought at first but i gave it time. I mean i get high scoring end to end games on -2. I get everything i need on the speed. Also football styles differ depending on the league. Premierleague is fast and dynamic, La Liga is rather slow. Serie A these days is pretty mixed. Bundersliga is very gung ho with every team playing high lines. Brazil is extremly slow.

Depends on the teams and the tactics.

original pes games on ps1/ps2 were very fast and noone complained.

FIFA 12 was a bit slow for me I bumped up the speed so not sure what speed I will play full game.

on demo -1 i played mostly....-2 was far to slow.

DOes it effect gameplay or only speed off gameplay

original pes games on ps1/ps2 were very fast and noone complained.

FIFA 12 was a bit slow for me I bumped up the speed so not sure what speed I will play full game.

on demo -1 i played mostly....-2 was far to slow.

DOes it effect gameplay or only speed off gameplay
It affects all the gameplay. makes individuallity come out more, players in a liner way turn slower deending on stats, so for example Messi turning won't be affected too much but a average 65 rated player with 74 ball control will be affected hugely!

0 assistance is like fifa manual?

not at all
0 assistance only controls assistance in power, not direction of the pass

if you want a greater control on power and direction you have to keep L2 pressed while performing a passage

not at all

if you want a greater control on power and direction you have to keep L2 pressed while performing a passage

so i dont get it?

0= have to hold down x longer for longer pass, tap x for short pass?

at 4 bars= CPU chooses pass speed/dsitance?

so i dont get it?

Yes. Even at 1 bar to 4 bars the CPU decides the speed/distance. Very odd way of doing things imo. However if your watching it getting played the CPU deciding the distance/speed looks very realistic.

Last edited:
I'm going to make another video sometime soon againt requesting for some of these animations to be brought back
YouTube - PES 2012 Animations request part 2
PES 2012 was so broken, But those motion cap animations, the game certian had that 'something'.
YouTube - PES 2010 | World Cup South Africa 2010
It's like a girl, where you can see she's flawed but she's just got thats something which turns you on, even if she isn't 10/10 beautiful!

Actually, that's the wrong metaphor. PES 2010 really had the looks, but was ugly on the inside...

so i dont get it?

at 0 assistance, you can get a "good" weighted first time pass with a short tap of the pass button. It's something Jimmy mentioned before, but you really have to get a feel for it. Accurate passing with R2 also works similarly; you can hit the "sweet spot" in your pass with a short tap. It's better tried in-game than explained...

A quick tap is different from holding the button down for that short tap though. Quick taps of the pass button seem to give the ball more zip.

The "neutral" and "positive" posts moved because they were in response to the negative ones. I can't just separate them as they'll look out of place.
Cheers, I can see your point. If the need is there to have different topics, there's no other way. I don't mind having a sole topic or a pair, but the latter option will always throw up this problem on occasion. Hope I didn't appear stroppy anyway sir, it's no biggie and didn't put my neck out of joint.
Unlike Enrique...
pes20122011102100080436.png

Last edited:
I find i occasionally get "weak" passes on 0 or 1 assistance, ie i have filled the power bar considerably, say about half, yet my player just nudges the ball. Am i doing something wrong?

Also how do you manually select the 4 different preset tactics in-game (the 4 formations/tactics in the Game Plan screen) Is it with the analog pad?

Last edited:
I find i occasionally get "weak" passes on 0 or 1 assistance, ie i have filled the power bar considerably, say about half, yet my player just nudges the ball. Am i doing something wrong?

Also how do you manually select the 4 different preset tactics in-game (the 4 formations/tactics in the Game Plan screen) Is it with the analog pad?
Yes. You will have to change your controller settings to analogue first though. Then you use the D-pad to change the tactical settings.

Last edited:
Anyone else really struggling at through balls? I used to pride myself at being able to slip a deft through ball on older versions, but on this I keep finding an out-stretched leg.

Also how do you work yourself a yard of space in the box? Players take such small touches it's hard to shift the ball out of the body. I think I much prefer last years dribbling, this one makes it easier to glide past players but there's very little technique to it. The shot feint seems less intuitive as well.

After reading so much about Konamis official patch and how much this Patch would changed the gameplay i tried it by myself. I thought it would maybe a good idea to make a video so people could compare both versions. Maybe we are able to see differences at first sight.

I played the same game twice. One with the official patch and one without the official patch. All settings (system an tactic settings) are exactly the same in both games and both are played on Topplayer. First game with the patch ends up 0-0 at halftime, second game without the patch end up 1-2.

I recorded only the first half in both games, it should be enough to see obvious differences if they are there.

Benfica vs At. Madrid - Firt Half with official Patch

Benfica vs At. Madrid - Firt Half without official Patch

So now you can judge by yourself.

Thanks for those video's. It's a bit harder to compare the first part of the 2nd video as you scored really early against the AI, so they came out and attacked you a bit more. also hard to judge the defence by the same token as they were forced to come out a little more.

To be honest, the first game looked a bit nicer to me, the AI didn't just run at you and the play all round was good. What game speed setting did you use?

I don't think there were any radical differences I could spot from that video and I'm not about to do a frame by frame analysis to prove either side right. I do enjoy the game with the patch and I'm going to leave it.

Just bought superstar difficulty last night and will give it a go tonight to see how it plays out.

Danny - a good passer makes all the difference on the through balls. Playing a champ's league with Milan, Cassano can pierce a defence beautifully. I also find you have to find just the right moment when your forward moves off his defender and has a yard of space.

Following on from that, I've seen a lot of through balls end up in 1 v 1 jostling between my forward and the defender, a lot of which I end up winning and if I lose out it looks very realistic. So I'm not really sure where people are getting the stumbles happen?

After the missis informed me she would be away with her friends for the weekend gone, I decided to phone my best mate, (who lives in Sunderland), to come down and stay at mine for the weekend. My mate is a massive PES fan, he loves his ML, but due to working away for the last 6 months, has yet to play PES 12, or even any of the demo's.

My mate, Lee, is old skool PES. In fact, upon the launch of ISS 64 on the N64, we both packed our respective girlfriends and newborn children off together to Butlins. We spent the full weekend hammering ISS64, barely sleeping, eating, and even sprinting upstairs to pee as quick as we could. Ah, the memories.

Anyway, I introduced him right from the offset to Zero Assistance. He loved it. Lee was decent player in real-life, he played with me at Durham City in the Northern League for years, so he knows the game inside-out. He, like me, was blown away with PES 12 on Zero and this whole new philosophy. We both felt that this is, by far, the most realistic replication of football we had even had the pleasure to experience.

We started off with a few 1v1 friendlies, 15 minute games, Top Player, pre-patch, Middlesbrough v Sunderland. We had some amazing games before we moved onto a World Cup, 2-Player Co-op, with England on Professional level. Wow, and I mean Wow. What an incredible experience this was with two footballing brains at work. Having one of us contain the ball-carrier whilst the other read the potential passing channels was superb. We never actually got out of our group on 3 seperate occasions, but we had one hell of a time attempting to make that happen.

The individuality on this game is mind-blowing at times. With each player bringing so much to the table. On Zero Passing Assistance, the only player we really needed to worry about on the passing front was Dawson. Lampard and Stevie G were pulling the strings from midfield and causing our CPU problems with strikes from range. Dropping the likes of Milner in to tighten up proceedings when required, and using the electric pace of Walcott late in games was simply incredible. Ashley Cole was Ashley Cole, great at reading the game with pace to burn. Andy Carroll up front was a monster, he held up everything for us, and was a great target man, and superb in the air. John Terry was just like JT, a true commanding presence with this ability to get the strong challenge in when required. In a fair but firm manner, and his positioning was off-the-map.

We then had the likes of Adam Johnson giving us that little something on the left, great poise and balance with superb feet and a cracking delivery. Then we had the likes of Jack Wilshire whose impact gave us something completely different to anyone else on the park. It was Jack, but without the injury.

There is something very, very special about playing this game on Zero Assistance. It's football simulated in it's most purest form. The need to adhere to footballing fundamentals is truly frightening. Being fully aware of body-posture, correct foot, and most importantly, angles is so realistic its uncanny. Not only do you get the most success from following these basic footballing techniques, but also being aware of which player your controlling when trying to pull off these passes and techniques, is equally as important as making sure you adhere to fundamentals. You get more assistance in this regard with the likes of Jack, Frank and Stevie G, and lesser so with the likes of Carroll et al.

Rooney pretty much had a nightmare of a World Cup Campaign, in fact, I dont remember him being on anything but a Blue throughout. His endeavour though was first-class Rooney. Always there to track back and bully his way around the park. I love that about this year, that stat is a brilliant addition.

I remember in one qualifying game we brought on Defoe in the last 10 minutes for Rooney. What an impact he had, it was 100% Defoe. Frank sprayed one from deep onto Defoe's run, Jermaine's first-touch was like watching him in real-life, slick and quick. In typical fashion, he took it down and moved it out of his feet, all in one motion. The then smashed it first time into the bottom corner from just outside the box. It was, pure, classic, Defoe.

Our best match during qualifying produced three stunning goals. Two from Stevie G and one from Carroll. A trademark Gerrard screamer from 30 yards into the top corner started the rout. Another drilled strike from Stevie, hard and low from distance made it 2-0. Then Carroll added one for his scrapbook with a chest turn, and half volley with his left foot into the top corner. His strength made it, and sometimes, just sometimes, Carroll can hit them and they truly stay hit. I will upload the video later, as it does give great examples of superb strikes.

We played PES into the early hours of Saturday night, finally getting to sleep at 5am. We spent Sunday hammering it, this time in an ML with the Boro, again, 2-Player Co-op. This was completely different again, with the individuality brutally apparent compared to the World Class players of the English national side. Goals and chances were very hard to come-by. With the rare goals accompanied by the classic fist-clenching, jumping-out-of-the-seat moments.

I've never ever played a game as realistic as PES 12. It's quite scary how this game can play with the right settings. It's beyond phenomenal, or at least it is for me.

Great read Jimbo, as always. Just came back to PES after a two day absence, working away. Schooled QPR 3-1 on Superstar, it's amazing what a little break can do for the creativity!! I was getting strung out a few days ago, I think I was playing too many games and not focusing on the here and now against every team, was rushing things too much against the lesser teams. It's amazing in -2 mode that if you just let the game develop and not rape the sprint button that things open themselves up. In only the fourth minute of the game I played a simple little move, and just held play up a fraction to create a lovely space to hit a nice through ball and Adam had a clean shot inside the eighteen yard box. It was just sublime, it sounds so rubbish doesn't it, but the execution in waiting for everything to fall into place was brilliant if I do say so myself.

It's the little things like that that get the juices flowing for me.

True ^

And how many people put the game in, bash some buttons around, then complain? As opposed to tinkering with the formation, tactical settings etc pre-game then during a game if things aren't working out.

I also have difficulties with the through balls. Maybe they were a litle bit too easy in PES2011, but now i have difficulties adapting.
In PES2011 i played a lot with Villareal and i found out that i could play beautifull football with that team. My son and i played 1v1, he with Barcelonana and i with Villareal. The lofted through balls were a fantastic weapon in PES2011...
I clearly haven't mastered the game yet...sometimes i have a good game (beat Everton yesterday with Liverpool for example, Caroll is too good in this game), but then there are games where i can't seem to find a way to even create chances (me playing with Maritimo against Nacional, they thrashed me...and this in a derby).

not at all

I disagree there, it's both. Although it does have a bigger bearing on power.

This is off-topic, but it seems silly to begin a thread about PES2013.
There is a rumour that PES2013 will have the Brazilian and Argentinian competitions licensed. As a big fan of Argentinian football, i hope this is true...

Yes. You will have to change your controller settings to analogue first though. Then you use the D-pad to change the tactical settings.

If you have movement set to analog and dpad, you press select + B/circle. Analog only movement seems to work with the select+dpad command.

Thanks guys. I currently have it on default i bellieve, which means movement is controlled by both the analog and the dpad (on Xbox).

Where do i set my controller so that the dpad becomes my tactics setting?

The lofted through balls were a fantastic weapon in PES2011...

I think that this was because the ai controlled defenders simply couldn't cope with it in the same way that 1-2's simply blew defenders away. Limiting the power of these two as well as the triple button cross from the bye-line is a really big step in getting people to play proper football rather than exploiting flaws in the game system.

Of course these things should work from time to time but they should be more reliant on the ability of the coach and the player rather than feeling as automatic as they were on 2011.

Back
Top Bottom