PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

For people constantly moaning/hating/disliking/unhappy about the game, please use this thread.

And no, it doesn't mean you can troll. It still means you have to be constructive.

Enjoy.

I've started being a goalkeeping player-manager at times in ML of late. It began when I'd already qualified for the second round of the Europa with 2 games to spare.

You kick-off, then select to control the keeper whilst the rest of the side goes for it BAL-style. I manage tactics, substitutions etc and also be the GK! Defenders being under AI control, they do a better job than me a lot of the time and I've managed some decent saves too, not lost any of the matches I've tried this in. Attacking AI is good, had Higuain (Spurs signing) score a few scrotum-ticklers.

When you get a corner kick etc, play obviously returns to your control. I simply either take a FK with the keeper and see him run off back to his sticks after, or take the set piece and then switch control back to Chris Woods or whoever's in your net.

I find it a nice little challenge, could be a good idea for an online match or offline MP match.

Well do you like realism? Fun or a mixture of both?

I dont knwo whatever old Pes was thats what I liked. Kinda realistic but still easy to play and have fun.

i loved pes up to pes 5 especially pes3...since then I havent liked any footy game much but fifa 10-11 was ok and pes 2011 was ''ok''

problem with fifa 12 is semi-pro is far too easy pro is too hard and frustarting...Online its give and take.

Just lost the CL final in the CL mode 6-3 to Barca, I was Man United. Villa scored 5.

This might be fun for someone looking for that sort of thing, but as someone who is looking for realism this match butchered what was actually a really fun/enjoyable tournament.

3 of the goals were down to complete bullshit, 1 was the AI controlled Vidic running right into Carrick (who I was controlling) and that sent the ball pinging to Villa who buried it, that was in the 1st minute. The other 2 were down to some god awful goalkeeping, main example that the ball rolled down in front of De Gea and I pressed Y for him to move 3 feet and grab it, he stood there and let Villa just tap it in. It's like he actually stopped working.

I was playing on -2 and 15 minutes on Professional, and I am pretty decent at defending (not as bad as this scoreline would lead you to believe) but this match was just an example of what PES 2012 is like when the game doesn't work, and my god it's bad.

Anyone else noticed the CPU vs CPU scorelines being unusually high? I noticed it throughout the competition and it's worrying me a little. Rangers beat Real Madrid 4-3 at Madrids ground FFS!

Edit: Just noticed there is a thread for this sort of stuff, don't get me wrong I love the game overall but not sure where this should go, lol.

You know something subtle that i'm sure is in the game is that unsighted goalkeepers react slower to shots. I'm talking about times where they can't see the ball at all because of players being in front on them. Anyone else believe this?

Yes I do Northzzz. Have noticed it many many times.

I had an interesting match just now. It ended up 5-4 to Bayern Munich (i was Man City). They went 2-0 up, i brought it back to 2-2, then they went 5-2 up and i brought it back to 5-4 with a goal in the 91st minute. Realistic? No. Thrilling? Yes.

Yes I do Northzzz. Have noticed it many many times.

no not for a second I think its shoddy programming and poor animations, I've seen goals go in when there is clear sight and the goalkeeper just doesn't move as quickly or as fluidly as a goalkeeper naturally would..although if it means you enjoy the game more and you are happy with that as an explanation then good for you

I dont knwo whatever old Pes was thats what I liked. Kinda realistic but still easy to play and have fun.

i loved pes up to pes 5 especially pes3...since then I havent liked any footy game much but fifa 10-11 was ok and pes 2011 was ''ok''

problem with fifa 12 is semi-pro is far too easy pro is too hard and frustarting...Online its give and take.

To be honest i think this PES is the first PES of this generation that that fits the bill of 'kinda realistic but still easy to play'.

Last edited:
Yes it happens, if the keeper doesn't have a clear sight of the ball he won't dive until he knows where it's going. Villa megged Vidic with a shot and De Gea just watched it roll in the bottom corner b/c he didn't have a good look at it (Rio was also in his way)

I also scored a peach with Hernandez that Valdes didn't see till the last second, curled it around a jumping Mascherano and it somehow found a way in. I saved it too.

I had an interesting match just now. It ended up 5-4 to Bayern Munich (i was Man City). They went 2-0 up, i brought it back to 2-2, then they went 5-2 up and i brought it back to 5-4 with a goal in the 91st minute. Realistic? No. Thrilling? Yes.

That's the issue, the first few times I'm like "what a game!" then when it happens more and more I start getting a bit sick of it, near that stage now if I'm being honest. Maybe just need to get better at defending.

Also, whoever says 'ANY PLAYER CAN DRIBBLE AND SKIN YOU LIKE MESSI' are so wrong, try play against the little prick and you'll see he is a step above everyone. All I could do was put him on his arse, or he'd ghost past me. No other player has given me so much trouble.

Last edited:
Where are all the videos of goals from the full game? Only seen a couple since the demo goals...

I only seem to be able to score from dead balls, crosses and ridiculous 5 a side moves in their penalty area, resulting in a finish only made possible by docile positioning from the goalkeeper.

Also, it seems that rounding the keeper is the best strategy as the keepers positioning is so much weaker than their point blank shotstopping.

I'm persevering, -2 feels like a match played on the moon but at least you get the time to switch players before its too late.

no not for a second I think its shoddy programming and poor animations, I've seen goals go in when there is clear sight and the goalkeeper just doesn't move as quickly or as fluidly as a goalkeeper naturally would..although if it means you enjoy the game more and you are happy with that as an explanation then good for you

Well your example doesn't really describe what i was talking about. You're commenting on the goalkeepers natural rubbishness in general. I'm saying i definitely see a consistency of them reacting later when there is a player between their vision and the ball. That said i'm playing with mods and the patch. Goalkeepers aren't anywhere near as bad as they were so them making awful mistakes doesn't occur half as much.

Finally got round to enjoying this game as had to revert to using d-pad which doesn't have the cutback bug on xbox, and i must say, this game is a sheer beaut. Once you give it time and adjust the game to settings that suits you, its nothing but a joy.

To be honest i think this PES is the first PES of this generation that that fits the bill of 'kinda realistic but still easy to play'.

i dont set out to look for anything. if it plays fun i like it. cant say i set out to look for sim or arcade.

I liked ISS deluxe, I like sensi soccer, I loved PES on ps1,ps2.

I like FIFA 12 BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! its so hard on pro and the gameplay is frustating as its so hard to make chances and space to shot.

I like PEs as I was always found it easy to make chances and long range shots even if I never scored I always had fun making chacnes.

Thats what a 10-15min game of footy should be about lots of fun and chances unlike fifa where its all abiut walkign abou tthe middle of the park hoping for a chance.

IMO the mechanics and movements and animations and skills even shootung etc of FIFA 12 is pretty much ideal. However the AI and cpu and strategy of the actual games is really poor. too much passing about nowhere, strong oppostion defensive lines and stupid easy counter attack goals.

For me when I played PES5 the game strategies where ideal and player individuality great. If you could take fifa 12 players and put them into the AI+CPu from PEs5 that would be a sweet game.

I mean the way the games in fifa 12 pan out are always same same and frustarting. But the basic skills and movements are good, passing, shooting, tricks, dribbling just the game base sucks

Last edited:
That's the issue, the first few times I'm like "what a game!" then when it happens more and more I start getting a bit sick of it, near that stage now if I'm being honest. Maybe just need to get better at defending.

Also, whoever says 'ANY PLAYER CAN DRIBBLE AND SKIN YOU LIKE MESSI' are so wrong, try play against the little prick and you'll see he is a step above everyone. All I could do was put him on his arse, or he'd ghost past me. No other player has given me so much trouble.

With matches like i have to go for the whole 'suspense of disbelief' thing but yeah i can see it definitely grating on me over time. I now play on 15 minute halves but i did play on 20 minute halves and every match was ending 3-2, 4-3, 5-4. I know with this version of PES i can't fixate on whether or not it was a a realistic scoreline. It's just too easy to score with big teams because it feels like the attack gets better but the defence level stays the same. For instance the other day i used two big teams (Real and United) and it ended up 5-4.

I'm not kidding when i say that every single game of PES 2012 i have played with a big team (by that i mean Real, United, England, Germany, Man City, Bayern Munich) has ended up with that team (whether it be me or the computer controlling them) scoring at least 4 goals.

On the flip side before that i had a great game with Roma v Porto in which i won 2-0 and was incredibly happy to keep a clean sheet. So maybe i should just play with decent but not fantastic teams.

Last edited:
Reading back my post it feels like i've come to a realisation about something. Defending with Man United feels absolutely no different to defending with Roma. I feel no more confidence in having Vidic and Ferdinand than i do with having an average teams defence. I seem to concede just as many with whatever team i'm playing with and that is only affected by the quality of the opposition (for instance my post above about how with certain teams i, or the cpu, always ends up scoring loads of goals). In truth neither Vidic or Ferdinand feel particularly individual or like they excel in something in comparison to good but lesser defenders.

Does anybody find this?

I had to sit and think why it is that playing with good teams just seems to mean more goals and in truth at the moment it is because better defenders (i.e those on better teams) just don't feel better whereas attackers feel much better.

Last edited:
With matches like i have to go for the whole 'suspense of disbelief' thing but yeah i can see it definitely grating on me over time. I now play on 15 minute halves but i did play on 20 minute halves and every match was ending 3-2, 4-3, 5-4. I know with this version of PES i can't fixate on whether or not it was a a realistic scoreline. It's just too easy to score with big teams because it feels like the attack gets better but the defence level stays the same. For instance the other day i used two big teams (Real and United) and it ended up 5-4.

I'm not kidding when i say that every single game of PES 2012 i have played with a big team (by that i mean Real, United, England, Germany, Man City, Bayern Munich) has ended up with that team (whether it be me or the computer controlling them) scoring at least 4 goals.

On the flip side before that i had a great game with Roma v Porto in which i won 2-0 and was incredibly happy to keep a clean sheet. So maybe i should just play with decent but not fantastic teams.

I've had some crackers too, drew Standard Liège in the knockout round and beat them 2-0 at their ground, the return leg at Old Trafford ended 1-1 but my god what a game, they were nothing like what they were in the 1st leg, completely different and I set up wrong expecting the same, was brilliant.

I also had Porto in the QF, beat them 4-3 (shock) at their ground and it was a thrilling game, they got a penalty which I saved (celebrated louder than I usually do lol) and I got a penalty which I scored, Hernandez came on and scored 2 to win me the game.

The 2nd leg was the great game though, they were 2-1 up at the end of the first half and just needed one goal to go through, I thought for sure I was going out... but somehow I held on for the next 45 minutes and I've never loved losing so much, such a great game where I enjoyed defending more than attacking, just brilliant. In the 87th minute though, Hulk skinned Smalling and was 1-1 with De Gea and I thought for all the world that he was going to break my heart... he scuffed his shot inside the 18 yard box and it went about 6 feet wide. I went mental.

please dont patronise me, ive been playing football games for over ten years.

:LMAO: No one got the sarcasm huh...

But seriously, Jimmy is in the right when he says you have to play on 0 assistance to appreciate this game. Any pass assistance level higher than 1 bar gets less realistic. It's fact.

Where are all the videos of goals from the full game? Only seen a couple since the demo goals...

I only seem to be able to score from dead balls, crosses and ridiculous 5 a side moves in their penalty area, resulting in a finish only made possible by docile positioning from the goalkeeper.

Also, it seems that rounding the keeper is the best strategy as the keepers positioning is so much weaker than their point blank shotstopping.

I'm persevering, -2 feels like a match played on the moon but at least you get the time to switch players before its too late.

It starts off like that but after a while the realism comes out at you and lures you in as if you getting freaky with Scarlett Johansson.

Very nice sir. I like your style. What are you game speed, passing setting, player assistance settings?

Thank you. I played this game with speed -1, passing bar 2.

Player assistance everything was off other than "klären" (that's what it is called in my german version). This was set to normal e.g standart i believe.

Trouble is at the moment I can win on Top Player (no assists) but am finding the games unrealistic in the way the CPU attacks you. I find Superstar much much better as a sim but in order to enjoy that you need an element of passing assistance as otherwise the defences are just too tight, it's this creativity that you need with the assistance on to break down a Superstar defence. And in Professional, on anything, I can win 3-0, 4-0 easily so that is not an option.

So is there still not an option file which just has kits and team names? I want to start a Portuguese league, but I can't find them anywhere... might go for a file which tweaks stats at a later date, but right now I just want the proper kits.

I can't say I noticed much passing individuality on 0 (contrary to my initial impression). Maybe once you're more used it perhaps, but I was missplacing the same really easy passes with the likes of Stein as I was with Xavi. I've gone up to 2 and it's definitely more prominent, even on this setting passing is a lot more free than PES 2011.

I'm growing more to it now. WENB have produced a useful 'starter' guide about settings and basic maneuvers. For instance the default screen setting on the consoles blows up the resolution beyond the monitor size, so if you scale it back you get sharper graphics.

Still can't get over the AI's immediate strategy of packing the box game after game. Just had enough of dominating possession for it to break down time after time, then getting hit straight on the counter. If that can be modded I might get the game on PC instead.... Chimps?

This is something I try to sort out. I hate having a team penned into their half all the game, its very unrealistic. To get around it I improve the standard of most teams so that they hold the ball and pass it around more.

Also reducing the effect of players who pass to fast or run too fast gives the opposition time to close you down and push out.

Every team should give you a decent game if you are on Top Player, it's how professional football should be

Thank you. I played this game with speed -1, passing bar 2.

Player assistance everything was off other than "klären" (that's what it is called in my german version). This was set to normal e.g standart i believe.

I watched the match, i like how you play too. some very nice passing my friend.

If you find it a little to easy feel free to bump it down to -2 and mayble lower he assing assistance :)

It's my day off so I have some free time today. On a hunch I decided to edit some player stats in a feeble attempt to accomplish on the PC what chimps has been doing all along on the PS3. Firstly, I think the reason Konami has stuck with this engine is because it's so damn complicated. I can't begin to imagine the number crunching going on in the background.

It appears that when dribble acc along with explosive power are lowered, the game compensates by allowing players to pass more often. Combined with Klash's tactics (slightly tweaked) the CPU plays a much better game of football and doesn't rely on dribbling to get past the back line. As an example Messi's dribbling acc was reduced to 85 while his explosive power was reduced to 83. Instead of dribbling 95% of the time to get past players, he now dribbles about 50- 60% of the time and is often quite successful. Of course I've had to re-balance the rest of barca to fit, but the results are very positive.

I played the edited Barca side against Konami's stock Real Madrid side and Barca won 4-1 (2 were free kicks by Cesc). Regardless of the scoreline, Barcelona played great football; passing triangles, 1-2's, switching sides with beautiful long balls.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to start rebalancing the entire La Liga and the Premiere League.

Reading back my post it feels like i've come to a realisation about something. Defending with Man United feels absolutely no different to defending with Roma. I feel no more confidence in having Vidic and Ferdinand than i do with having an average teams defence. I seem to concede just as many with whatever team i'm playing with and that is only affected by the quality of the opposition (for instance my post above about how with certain teams i, or the cpu, always ends up scoring loads of goals). In truth neither Vidic or Ferdinand feel particularly individual or like they excel in something in comparison to good but lesser defenders.

Does anybody find this?

I had to sit and think why it is that playing with good teams just seems to mean more goals and in truth at the moment it is because better defenders (i.e those on better teams) just don't feel better whereas attackers feel much better.
Absolutely, unequivocaly, definitely NOT

I am seriously starting to think there are 2 versions of PES2012 out there

It's my day off so I have some free time today. On a hunch I decided to edit some player stats in a feeble attempt to accomplish on the PC what chimps has been doing all along on the PS3. Firstly, I think the reason Konami has stuck with this engine is because it's so damn complicated. I can't begin to imagine the number crunching going on in the background.

It appears that when dribble acc along with explosive power are lowered, the game compensates by allowing players to pass more often. Combined with Klash's tactics (slightly tweaked) the CPU plays a much better game of football and doesn't rely on dribbling to get past the back line. As an example Messi's dribbling acc was reduced to 85 while his explosive power was reduced to 83. Instead of dribbling 95% of the time to get past players, he now dribbles about 50- 60% of the time and is often quite successful. Of course I've had to re-balance the rest of barca to fit, but the results are very positive.

I played the edited Barca side against Konami's stock Real Madrid side and Barca won 4-1 (2 were free kicks by Cesc). Regardless of the scoreline, Barcelona played great football; passing triangles, 1-2's, switching sides with beautiful long balls.

Over the next few weeks, I'm going to start rebalancing the entire La Liga and the Premiere League.

Gave this a go on the ps3, didn't make much difference on Superstar, but slightly more on Professional, mostly making the cpu a little easier to tackle, giving my players a feel of weight, (rather than being run through all the time) just going through barca's team and looking at the stats is amazing, i know there are good but some of the ratings are
madness.
Anyway in my last few games i have started to notice something else, its almost like there is two games in one, one when i have the ball and another when the computer does.I spend time constructing passing moves, probing the lanes dummy runs etc, the cpu however always seems to look for the most direct route to goal regardless of the situation, i've taken just pumping the ball long to their keeper and watching them build up attacks, the most passes i've seen them play in their own half was 3, then its through to midfield through to striker every time. This leads joins on with the other thing i've noticed regarding formation, they seem able to do this cause no matter what formation I play, when an attack breaks down the cpu can counter attack, my back line retreats, with maybe a cm going into it while 1 maybe 2 of my midfielders have to try cover 3 or 4 players on rushing, however when i win the ball back the cpu always has cover, and more importantly, their get back into, and stay in formation so much better.
I dunno if this is a stat thing that can be fixed, but if there is a way to (1) raise my playeys positional and tactical sense, and (2) lower the computers 'get the ball forward asap tactics' i feel this would make the cpu play a more possession based and realistic game, at the moment all they have to do is exploit the gaps and shoot, camp, wait to break down an attack and repeat.

If you find it a little to easy feel free to bump it down to -2 and mayble lower he assing assistance :)

After todays CL Match between Bayern and Napoli i'm going to play some friendly games with passing bar 0.

I love the pace of the game with speed -2 and the speed of movement of the players is perfect imo. But for my taste the passing speed and shooting speed is just a bit to slow.

I played the demo 2 the most time with -2 (after i read your comments about playing at -2 btw) and after a while you really become comfortable with everything, movement, passing, shooting. But for now i'm fine with -1 as long as i play weaker teams. With Bayern it's a little bit to fast in certain situations.

But anyway i'm currently waiting for my favorite OF. Probably the hole game (and the gamespeed) will feel different again with news teams an new player stats.

Back
Top Bottom