PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

I don't think you can do that anymore... I believe they are automatically active, if relevant for the position you're playing the player in.

I sadly don't like the way the tactics are set up this time around. While in theory the concept of having 4 different formations and play styles is great, it becomes a nuisance to maintain, and it's only worsened when you have to change your formation in the middle of the game.

Yesterday I faced an annoying problem with substitutions and tactics change... I was losing 2-0 at 70 minutes, and decided to sub a CB for a CF, and move the CF up front, and playing with 3 defenders.

I went back to the game, and a couple of minutes later I was finding it weird that my new CF wasn't showing up very much... That was until in a goal kick for me, he's there to receive the ball. Some less than proper words came to my mind, as I went back to the formation menu. Lo and behold, the substitution had gone through, but the formation change hadn't been processed - I was still playing with 4 defenders, and one of them was that new CF.

I went on to change it, exited the menu, and just for sanity checking went back, and it appeared to be correct.

My main problem now is that the other play styles are outdated, because the other 3 preset tactics still keep the original formations, and there is no easy way to automatically replicate a change to the other 3 preset tactics...

I believe that my assistant coach is trying to get me sacked so he can take my job - it's the only reasonable explanation. :)

Any help on these subjects is hugely appreciated. Am I missing something obvious?

Also, I read some pages back that there still was a menu for setting the style of play depending on the play time and result, like in 2011, but I can't find it. Is it still here?

Cheers,

Paulo

They took away the setting for tactics dependent on time of the match and result.

One way you can use the 4 tactics on the fly is by changing ur button configuration to "only left stick" for directional control. Then you can use your D-pad to switch between the 4 tactics you have set up before the match on-the-fly in game. However, I'm not sure if any subs you make would be reflected subsequently if you choose another tactic.

They took away the setting for tactics dependent on time of the match and result.

One way you can use the 4 tactics on the fly is by changing ur button configuration to "only left stick" for directional control. Then you can use your D-pad to switch between the 4 tactics you have set up before the match on-the-fly in game. However, I'm not sure if any subs you make would be reflected subsequently if you choose another tactic.

You can also change it with Select+Circle, if you're not using Dpad to change tactics.

Yes, my apparent gripe is that while the substitution is reflected in the other tactics, the formation change is not (which makes some sense, since you may have different formations in each). the problem is that, since there is no easy way to replicate the change you might end up with players playing wildly out of position...

Here is a goal I scored last night, which had me almost jumping out of my seat. Notice how Fabregas makes a diagonal run, and how the ball swerves when Wilshere hits it. After I scored the goal, went to gameplan to check. Wilshere is left-footed, and he has outside curve in his card. Brilliant.

Arsenal goal

You can also change it with Select+Circle, if you're not using Dpad to change tactics.

Yes, my apparent gripe is that while the substitution is reflected in the other tactics, the formation change is not (which makes some sense, since you may have different formations in each). the problem is that, since there is no easy way to replicate the change you might end up with players playing wildly out of position...
Still playing demo 2 here as i wait for UK version.

How do you change the attack-defensive mind? I mean the 4 bars from blue to red. Its not the left to the "start" button+ left stick anymore.

Anyone?

I don't get the problem, does the game not register your formation change? Can you explain further?

Right now you have 4 different presets, where you can have different formations in each. in presets 2,3 and 4 you can move your players around so they get into their best positions rather than being shuffled around when you change formations. You should be able to change any one of these mid game, you can only substitute into preset 1, but that makes sense.

I don't get the problem, does the game not register your formation change? Can you explain further?

Right now you have 4 different presets, where you can have different formations in each. in presets 2,3 and 4 you can move your players around so they get into their best positions rather than being shuffled around when you change formations. You should be able to change any one of these mid game, you can only substitute into preset 1, but that makes sense.

Well, yes, it does make sense. What happened to me, and it might have been a one off, was that making a substitution and moving a player to a different position in the same change didn't register the formation change - i.e. you started the game, and then if you came back to the menu the formation would still be the original, only the substitution would have gone through. Does it make sense? I'll test it further today.

Also, what I was mentioning about the preset tactics [1-4] is that each one of the 4 tactics is associated with a play style - i.e. counter attack, possession, long ball, all out attack - and a specific formation [1-4].

The fact that I was losing 2-0 forced me to replace a CB for a CF, and started playing with 3 defenders and an extra man upfront (3-3-4, for instance). All good.

My issue with it is that this formation change is only applied to the preset tactic I have at the moment - let's say, counter attack [preset tactic 1, for instance].

If I want to adapt the play style to long ball or all out attack in the last minutes, I can no longer do it on the fly, because there is no easy way to replicate the new formation (3-3-4) to all the other preset tactics [1-4], and take advantage of those play styles, without having to do it manually.

In previous years, you would assign to the buttons different tactics, and you would change this on the fly, regardless of the formation.

Now, the play styles are fixed to a formation, because of them being set using the preset tactics [1-4]. The other strategies you can assign to the buttons (X, [], triangle and O), as far as I can tell, are only CB Overlap, Offside, and Swap Sides - all the others can only be set using the preset tactics [1-4], so I can't really make the play styles independent of the formation. When I change them, I'll also get the formation that's assigned to each of the preset tactics [1-4].

Does this make sense? :)

Sorry if it doesn't.

I clearly must be missing something obvious here in terms of strategies.

Cheers,

Paulo

Last edited:
Belgian-Dutch game magazine: 79 for PES2012 and 94 for FIFA12.
They claim that the gap between both games is getting smaller and that PES2012 is almost there. Next year will be the one that will be better than FIFA.

They also say that FIFA12 weak point is the Carreer Mode, our FIFA friends on this site seem really enthousiastic about that mode...strange.

PS: i've bough FIFA but haven't played Carreer Mode yet...gameplaywise i like the game.

@Pjft yeah I think I know what you mean. I don't see a way around it except just take more time to do it manually. I always just set up the game in the start and try to have 1 preset for every possible state of the game, one standard formation, one attacking, one defensive, and my forth one is usually the standard one with different tactics or the default one. You could always set up the same formation across the board with different tactics applied but you might not want that from the start. Again, I think manual tinkering is the only way.

Thought I'd post a footballing goal for once!

OK, so it was late in the game and as ever I was struggling to beat the CPU on Top Player (Starting to not enjoy that difficulty, CPU scores some crazy goals at a ridiculous level of consistency, so think I'll drop to Professional soon). So I decide to bring on some experienced heads, including a Rooney lacking form and then in the 89th minute they string this move together to equalise. Yeah, I was happy.

YouTube - [HD] PES 2012 - Rooney (& CPU Volley)

There's also a CPU volleyed goal at the end, seemed worthy of recording.

I am seriously stressing about this. Do you think Konami have really clamped down on regions as far as online goes? i.e if you bought BLES7864 you can only play BLES7864?
This would be a fuck up of immeasurable proportions

I think the message of "incompatible version" was just shown because servers were not online.
Yesterday at 16:30 (MET) I tried to go online again and it worked.
I played one single match on german server (only 9 players were online on that server) and it worked like charme. played with napoli vs. juve (won 1:0 :D ). the performance so far was great, but let's see what is the deal if the servers are full of people.
Yesterday the french server was the one with most people online at that time (about 90).

@Pjft yeah I think I know what you mean. I don't see a way around it except just take more time to do it manually. I always just set up the game in the start and try to have 1 preset for every possible state of the game, one standard formation, one attacking, one defensive, and my forth one is usually the standard one with different tactics or the default one. You could always set up the same formation across the board with different tactics applied but you might not want that from the start. Again, I think manual tinkering is the only way.

Yup, I believe that's the way it'll have to be. I was secretly hoping somebody would know something obvious that would help me here :)

So is this the year I will convert to Fifa?

Yep.....and back to PES 6 months later.
I payed FIFA again yesterday for about an hour there is so much to be in awe of off the pitch but bare bones football fun is still PES all the way based on the demos off course.

Online PES if the servers are good and based on the demo gameplay offline is magnificent as you not dealing with the AI's incapabilities. I have yet to play the full game but based on the opinions so far it seems the much hyped AI is poor when you look at team individuality. This again is just my opinion and I may sing a different tune in a few weeks time when I have sampled it proper.

What kind of sorcery is this! :THINK:
:LOL:
Could you try a 20min game to see how it goes with that? Maybe with a longer game the team is less eager to get the ball forward which is why Barca had more possession in your test?
Here it is. Full UK PS3 version, 20 min game, Cpu v Cpu, Professional, green arrows, CL mode (Realized you've done that from your screens), -1 speed, Barca v HJK Helsinki.
sam0414i.jpg

Mostly short passes and dribbling skills, and a few lofted through balls. I actually enjoyed watching this!

Xbox360 copy still has that run bug where the players jerk and stop when sprinting. I'm disappointed in the graphics. Unless if you have a high end PC ofcourse. Grafix are just looking very outdated and not crisp and high resolution as they should be. grass textures are very poor in my opinion.

Gameplay is great. I can't complain. I still can't understand why in Free Practice, one goal/net is different than the other. Is this a bug?

Overall, just very underwhelmed with the look of the game in general.

Xbox360 copy still has that run bug where the players jerk and stop when sprinting. I'm disappointed in the graphics. Unless if you have a high end PC ofcourse. Grafix are just looking very outdated and not crisp and high resolution as they should be. grass textures are very poor in my opinion.

Gameplay is great. I can't complain. I still can't understand why in Free Practice, one goal/net is different than the other. Is this a bug?

Overall, just very underwhelmed with the look of the game in general.

In what nets are differents?
color or shape?

(YELLOW CARDOO:P)

:LOL:

Here it is. Full UK PS3 version, 20 min game, Cpu v Cpu, Professional, green arrows, CL mode (Realized you've done that from your screens), -1 speed, Barca v HJK Helsinki.
sam0414i.jpg

Mostly short passes and dribbling skills, and a few lofted through balls. I actually enjoyed watching this!

Cheers mate. So it seems that playing a longer game will result in the cpu retaining possession then, which is understandable, as you would expect Barca to have more than 52% in the game above.

Xbox360 copy still has that run bug where the players jerk and stop when sprinting.

Are you fucking kidding me?!

When it comes to graphics the last year i have used a pc monitor with my xbox instead of the tele. Smaller screen but better resolution.

Wish I was. I heard that they are aware and will release a patch to fix this. Don't know when though. I won't play it until it's fixed. Will be playing Fifa12 for now I guess.

Its ridiculous. Is the micropausing gone when you score a goal? Because that ruined the experinece of scoring a great goal in the demo 2.

I guess I didn't mess around too much when playing the PC demo so it never really hit me until reading this, but why on earth would they remove the tactical setup based on time and situation they had last year? That was such an awesome feature, shame it is gone. Add to that it appears they left all the team tactics in a generic mode, I have to wonder what they are thinking? :CONFUSE:

oh come on damn it!

This pes is so scripted...
played master league with standard players against WE United.
I was in front with 2:1 than they get a freekick in the 80.min right behind the penalty area. 5men-wall. I pressed shot so all in my wall jump. >> all jump and only the 2. frmo the left didn't. Ball went on the head of the 3. from the left and then into the goal.

First I thought it was ok... such things happen in football.

86.min. Freekick right outside the penalty area. Same thing!! It is like a mirror goal. Everything is the same! Even the flying curve of the ball.

This sucks...

Back
Top Bottom