PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

@pes2012gonbegood
You can do the exact same thing in Fifa12(love fifa btw),walking up and down in front of the 6 yard box you can keep possession for over 95% of the time but in the 80th minute the AI moves up around 10 meters(which is good)but still isnt able to retrieve the ball.

As for the Pes2012 factoid you have provided, if you enjoy playing that way its fine lol...you should be pointing out that the defending team, the one not in possession needs to be programmed to pressure the players further up the pitch, if they are playing constant short passes to one another. While i have noticed this problem for long time now and even in older titles of both fifa and pes its not up to me or you to solve go complain to konami and send jon "champion" pes "team Leader" a tweet with a link to a youtube video showing the problems you are experiencing. I actually agree its problem that is more visible in pes, but both titles suffer from it unfortunately.

Settings were:

15 minutes
Professional ( Top Player CPU seems weird to me idk but im going to try that aswell )
Speed was -1

Hmmm, i've seen a video from shank118 playing a 10 minute match Juventus vs Roma and the players didn't seem to be turning really fast in that video to me, maybe he's playing on -2, why not try that?

Also i guess you have a really, REALLY powerful PC and maybe the game is simply running too fast. I changed a few settings on my nvidea control panel and noticed PES 2012 demo, FIFA 12 demo and especially PES 2011 play super fast! Way too fast even on 15 minutes because of computer settings.

If your finding rubbish players having too much control I'd try putting it on -2 speed, also try playing 15 minute games, or even 20 minutes.

Btw heres another screenshot of me trying to see how much posession I can get with a bad technical team against a good side:

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/1863/47809087.jpg

So ollywolly, you say technique of players is great and that low teams are good in terms of it, not overpowered?

How do you explain me being able to do this on the screenshot then?

Settings superstar, 10 mins, manual passing.

You did the same thing i did in FIFA 12 to demonstrate how the CPU can't get close enough to you :LOL:

Difference is the score there is 0-0 :CONFUSE: so i mean there isn't really much point since you didn't barely attack.

I'm sure the game isn't as bad as your making out, but I'm very concerned that i can't use the tactics for the CPU like i did in PES 2011
:(

He has a point. The the individuality of the CPU AI is pretty much non-existent, it's not even debatable so I don't see why anyone would assume he's manipulating these stats.

It's disappointing but not a gamebreaker for me. Obviously technology/programming knowledge isn't yet up to the sophistication of offering both a challenge and a variation in style. Clearly Konami have attempted to make the CPU as difficult as possible, and it appears that sitting deep combined with razor sharp counter-attacks offers that. Only annoying aspect is certain parties claiming it was any different in the run-up previews, as inevitably all it leads to is undelivered hype.....

This isn't restricted to Konami or football games either. AI behaviour and intelligence in computer gaming has stagnated for the best part of the decade, why pour so much development time into something that's neglected by the majority of the userbase? I'd say 80% will jump straight into online without touching offline.

Just something you have to get on with.

First problem - you're helping him achieve his goal by even giving him attention. Clearly it's ridiculous to make a screenshot showing 88% possession, which is obviously impossible on the hard difficulties if you're playing the game 'normally' so why even bother. I've only played multiplayer on the full version and individuality is definitely there, and I know from the demo that playing against the AI is different depending upon what team your playing against. That being said, playing against the AI will not bring the same experience as playing against a human anytime soon, so you always have to enjoy it for what it is... as long as I don't feel like in FIFA where even the shittiest teams would play basically the same as the best on the hardest difficulty im fine.

Some have asked for a video of the live broadcast cam so here you go. Notice how the camera changes angles sometimes, so you get disoriented. The camera definitely takes some getting used to, but the game plays out much better than on Wide. Professional difficulty, 0 gamespeed, passing 0 assistance :

Live Broadcast Cam

P.S: Sorry about the quality and the black bars.

Danny You mean team individuality is non existent in the full game? (AI team gameplan etc..)

I mean on the demo, player individuality is there, without question. Always has been and depending on how fast the game is shows how difficult it is to control the ball.

On the demo, CPU teams played different, mainly because of the individuals but as a team there weren't too different and tended to form similar attacks. Mainly in that teams tend to pass quickly to the attackers then depending on how good they are individuality will show how they maneuver the ball. That's how PES 2012 seems to work from what i've seen

I'll test this rigorously however. the team styles should have an effect on how the CPU play, on longer matches it hopefully will be more apparent.

Some have asked for a video of the live broadcast cam so here you go. Notice how the camera changes angles sometimes, so you get disoriented. The camera definitely takes some getting used to, but the game plays out much better than on Wide. Professional difficulty, 0 gamespeed, passing 0 assistance :

Live Broadcast Cam

P.S: Sorry about the quality and the black bars.

In this video, the game pace seems very good, also the players are turning at reasonable speeds, could you possibly help pes12isgonnabegood out?

Also, can anyone give some feedback on the stamina?

Last edited:
klashman69;2342622 [B said:
I'm sure the game isn't as bad as your making out, but I'm very concerned that i can't use the tactics for the CPU like i did in PES 2011[/B] :(

Regarding this point, have you tried assigning individual and very distinct tactics to each of the four modifiable slots available? I could be wrong here but to speculate there is a chance that the CPU will look to use any of these four variables in a way similar to the tactics timeline last year - in other words, the Active AI might extend to the COM using what is best dependant on situation and that perhaps the defaults aren't pronounced enough for it to make a huge difference to CPU play and logic with the shipped settings.

I see what he means with the cpu vs cpu match. I just watched a 20min game between Barca (cpu) and Rubin Kazan (cpu). Barca won the game 5-0 but the stats at the end were 50 - 50 possesion, Barca had 16 shots to Rubins 14. The game was so boring though. Barca just constantly kept hitting long balls to Messi and Abidal kept putting in high crosses, which is nothing like Barca style of play. The only difference between the teams was the superior finishing of Barca.

@ Stilts1844

I agree about the giving attention part, but its practically clogging up the forum and discussion with all the 'evidence' he is posting, probably have a dedicated thread for complaints while this thread should be used for casual discussion of the experiences everyone is having. Because its gonna keep going until its sorted.

Also agree that its obviously not the right way of playing the game, but i wouldnt be suprised if he nicked a goal and then proceeded to pass the ball around for the rest of the game and still end up with 75% possession against barca on top player, because the fault lies in the pressure coding in the game and urgency is non existent at times.

Regarding this point, have you tried assigning individual and very distinct tactics to each of the four modifiable slots available? I could be wrong here but to speculate there is a chance that the CPU will look to use any of these four variables in a way similar to the tactics timeline last year - in other words, the Active AI might extend to the COM using what is best dependant on situation and that perhaps the defaults aren't pronounced enough for it to make a huge difference to CPU play and logic with the shipped settings.

I'm not sure mate, I need to find out using the full game. I'm unsure how the CPU uses those tactics at the moment.

My first test using demo 2 was a total failure in getting them to play how they did in PES 2011 in regards to team individuality. That was a hacked demo however and you can't read too much into that :)

I'm getting feedback here that the CPU tends to play the same way with most teams, which is a little worrying. Then again like lat year, konami can't give every single team their proper tactics. They tend to give very generic tactics to mid range and small teams, so if you playing int he premier league for example, Norwich, QPR, Wigan etc.. will all be given similar tactics, as with most teams in Portugal, Holland etc..

I see what he means with the cpu vs cpu match. I just watched a 20min game between Barca (cpu) and Rubin Kazan (cpu). Barca won the game 5-0 but the stats at the end were 50 - 50 possesion, Barca had 16 shots to Rubins 14. The game was so boring though. Barca just constantly kept hitting long balls to Messi and Abidal kept putting in high crosses, which is nothing like Barca style of play. The only difference between the teams was the superior finishing of Barca.

I was worried before and this isn't helping :(

Thanks for the honesty though :)

Last edited:
Hmmm, i've seen a video from shank118 playing a 10 minute match Juventus vs Roma and the players didn't seem to be turning really fast in that video to me, maybe he's playing on -2, why not try that?

Also i guess you have a really, REALLY powerful PC and maybe the game is simply running too fast. I changed a few settings on my nvidea control panel and noticed PES 2012 demo, FIFA 12 demo and especially PES 2011 play super fast! Way too fast even on 15 minutes because of computer settings.

If your finding rubbish players having too much control I'd try putting it on -2 speed, also try playing 15 minute games, or even 20 minutes.

My PC is indeed top of the notch, I think I will be trying out -2 Speed to see how it goes, hopefully it will be a bit better.

Clearly it's ridiculous to make a screenshot showing 88% possession, which is obviously impossible on the hard difficulties if you're playing the game 'normally' so why even bother.

Clearly its possible, even tho I didn't really play normal but I did pass around all over my half which shouldn't be possible at all with such a low technical side against a team like Spain.
The point is that AI doesn't know how to properly pressure to force you into a bad pass aswell as the players beeing too good technicaly , even lower end teams.

Danny You mean team individuality is non existent in the full game? (AI team gameplan etc..)

I'll test this rigorously however. the team styles should have an effect on how the CPU play, on longer matches it hopefully will be more apparent.

From what I noticed so far its not non existent but its so similar that it very well might be.

This is exactly what I meant, and I edited Barca and all their 4 tactics so its exactly like Barca.

@ Stilts1844

I agree about the giving attention part, but its practically clogging up the forum and discussion with all the 'evidence' he is posting, probably have a dedicated thread for complaints while this thread should be used for casual discussion of the experiences everyone is having. Because its gonna keep going until its sorted.

Also agree that its obviously not the right way of playing the game, but i wouldnt be suprised if he nicked a goal and then proceeded to pass the ball around for the rest of the game and still end up with 75% possession against barca on top player, because the fault lies in the pressure coding in the game and urgency is non existent at times.

Well written, at least someone noticed the flaw in this and what it means for the game.

Last edited:
In this video, the game pace seems very good, also the players are turning at reasonable speeds, could you possibly help pes12isgonnabegood out?

Also, can anyone give some feedback on the stamina?

I'm playing on my laptop which is not very great on specs really. I usually play on -1 speed, because I find 0 speed a bit too frantic at times in terms of the CPU movement. Those vids I did are at 0 though. I've tried -2 as well, and it's really good. I think for me the best would be -1.5 if it was possible.

Also, the stadium you play in also has an effect. I think you have mentioned that about PES 2011 as well last year klash. It's always been there IIRC.

I'm not sure mate, I need to find out using the full game. I'm unsure how the CPU uses those tactics at the moment.

My first test using demo 2 was a total failure in getting them to play how they did in PES 2011 in regards to team individuality. That was a hacked demo however and you can't read too much into that :)

I'm getting feedback here that the CPU tends to play the same way with most teams, which is a little worrying. Then again like lat year, konami can't give every single team their proper tactics. They tend to give very generic tactics to mid range and small teams, so if you playing int he premier league for example, Norwich, QPR, Wigan etc.. will all be given similar tactics, as with most teams in Portugal, Holland etc..

Thanks for the honesty though :)

It would be nice to have some of the tactic options from say Football Manager or something. Teams have have passing set to Short, Direct, Long, etc...

Dont get me wrong, I love the game so far and feel it is the best PES to date but something is clearly wrong with the way the cpu plays. I'll try a few more games tomorrow after work, say Arsenal vs Stoke and watch how they both play against each other.

Remember in pes2011 you had the ability to manually adjust what the behaviour of the teams would be in certain situations, for example: down a goal , switch to high pressure formation and go for the golazo, is that still available in pes2012 this year.

(P.s. I know we have the four tactics selection menu but would love if i could do what i did on the previous version...editing AI tactics to fit certain situations so that 88% possession thing became extremely rare against the AI, and when i scored or conceded my team would automatically adjust based on my settings pre-match)

@ Stilts1844

I can't remember who posted it on this board but what I thought was a rather valid point made by said poster was how human players defending ability could impact on statistical output at the end of the game. Defend better against a better side and there will be some parity regards possession and even how the game can unfold was how he put it. They also spoke of how they felt being wasteful or over eager with your possession resulted in the COM playing very much on the counter.

Thanks for the honest though :)

Yeah, I do agree that actual assignment of tactics to a great number of teams is never likely. Annoying but I guess that is what the community can offer up in order to freshen up the experience. Will be interesting to see how things develop.

Personally, I rarely take note of the stats themselves as the required balance to fit ''90mins into 10mins'' means these stats are often gonna be pretty wonky any way. So long as the player individuality prevails and a semblance of how some teams can play in little patches manifests thanks to player individuality I won't say that I would be 100% satisfied but it would at least give the illusion of some variety. I do get that from the game currently.

I have the game, xbox version, what the heck is up with the dribbling? If you hold sprint, I have it mapped to RT, your guy will just stop, same on defense, what the hell is going on?

AI teams plays always the same away: with counter-attack... it's annoying to see Barcelona sitting back and trying to explore counter-attacks in spite of having possession of ball and trying a build-up play style. Another ridiculous thing of Pes2012 is the tactics options, which are very poor. Konami reduced drastically the options to do your own tactic. The "arrows" from the tactics settings from the good old-gen Pes were a great thing that Konami ignored in the new-gen Pes era.
Furthermore, I don't like the tackling system of Pes 2012: the defenders miss almost 80% of their chances of tackles. This occurs because of the short-range radius of the tackle and the glide movimentation of the players (they seem to be running in a grass coated by soap if we analise how much the players glide on the grass), which delays the control response of our defenders.

In my opinion, Konami did a major error 4 years ago (when produced Pes 2008 next-gen): Konami tried to do a totally new generation of Pes, forgotting the great advances in gameplay that consecrate Pes series the best of the past decade.

AI teams plays always the same away: with counter-attack... it's annoying to see Barcelona sitting back and trying to explore counter-attacks in spite of having possession of ball and trying a build-up play style. Another ridiculous thing of Pes2012 is the tactics options, which are very poor. Konami reduced drastically the options to do your own tactic. The "arrows" from the tactics settings from the good old-gen Pes were a great thing that Konami ignored in the new-gen Pes era.

Forget the PS2 PES game tactics with those basic arrows as they where child's play compared to PES 2011 tactics. PES 2011 brought in team AI which no game had ever offered in terms of how the team styles drastically changed how each team played and allowed for teams to play very realistically which is why i did all that work for JustPES etc..

There's no need for arrows anymore especially with how the formation board works.

I don't the PS2 settings back, i tested those out using WE9 a few months back and it had very little difference to how the AI played against you. it was quite similar to how they play now in 2012 from what i see in that it has a subtle difference but the main thing is the player individuality.

Settings were:

15 minutes
Professional ( Top Player CPU seems weird to me idk but im going to try that aswell )
Speed was -1

Btw heres another screenshot of me trying to see how much posession I can get with a bad technical team against a good side:

47809087.jpg

So ollywolly, you say technique of players is great and that low teams are good in terms of it, not overpowered?

How do you explain me being able to do this on the screenshot then?

Settings superstar, 10 mins, manual passing.

Judging by the rest of the stats there, and the lack of shots at goal, I'd say you played a game attempting to keep the ball at the back and barely ever venturing forward just to illustrate your point? Is this anywhere close to what happened?

I refuse to accept that you managed to keep that much possession yet still managed to have hardly any efforts on goal. You must have been just playing it around at the back etc, effectively time wasting.

Does anyone mind telling me what Jon Murphy does for the franchise.

Besides relaying information back and forth from Konami to community and vice versa?

Im sure if i could speak Japanese (willing to learn it) i probably could do a better job unless Jon is limited about what input he actually has at pes headquarters.

My PC is indeed top of the notch, I think I will be trying out -2 Speed to see how it goes, hopefully it will be a bit better.

Clearly its possible, even tho I didn't really play normal but I did pass around all over my half which shouldn't be possible at all with such a low technical side against a team like Spain.
The point is that AI doesn't know how to properly pressure to force you into a bad pass aswell as the players beeing too good technicaly , even lower end teams.

From what I noticed so far its not non existent but its so similar that it very well might be.

This is exactly what I meant, and I edited Barca and all their 4 tactics so its exactly like Barca.

Well written, at least someone noticed the flaw in this and what it means for the game.

Maybe others are happy to entertain your ''theories'' but anyone who posts up a screenshot showing they had 88% in a game that finished 0-0 is someone looking to break the game and thus craving some warped sense of internet glory.

Instead of just playing the game and seeing how you take to it you have taken what the developers are looking to champion as this games best feature (not flawless, but their best, in terms of movement at least) and looking to spit it back at them...even if that means you not playing the game with any conviction whatsoever. Admit it, you read about Konami and others (including potential customers who have played both demos) championing the AI and thought to yourself ''I am going to break this game in order to prove a point''

The introduction to your little post that currently adorns the main page says it all...

True story.

KONAMI promised us great AI this year but honestly its shit.

Thank you o' wise sage!

One good way to try this out is also by making CPU vs CPU matches, try it out I urge you to test the AI.

No thanks. I buy games to play them, not to watch them. I ''urge'' you to try that. I don't pick up the game and look at the features outlined on the back of the box and think to myself ''We'll see about that through some vigorous testing that has me look to exploit these features exclusively'' At the end of the day these features contribute to the greater gameplay experience - none can individually define it alone, which is in essence what you are looking to ''test'' and report back. Why not let these potential issues surface by themselves by you actually playing the game wth the intention of enjoying yourself instead of looking for them? What a completely pointless exercise as a consumer. Maybe you should save yourself a shit-ton of cash and apply to be a QA tester, though even then I think you would get some strange looks when utilising these trusted techniques of yours.

It would be like me complaining that Gears of War 3 is rubbish because if I start the campaign and don't move from the starting point then surely it is only right to expect the rest of the team to be taking care of business without me. They are videogames, design for humans to participate. I haven't even touched on how the CPU AI playing against each other is subject to it quite possibly cancelling itself out due to it reading it's own intentions. The game needs human participation in order for what it has to offer to truly manifest whether that be good or bad. Playing with zero intention to actually compete is a dis-qualifier as well. I can play against FIFA on legendary and knock it about freely so long as I move with precision dribble alone as the COM don't look to dispossess you unless you fire the ball in to a man tightly marked. I wouldn't choose to play that way however as it isn't competitive and I am merely looking to exploit. That isn't fun.

Okay, so the game - or the AI at least - is ''shit'' in your opinion. Why are you still here? Is it absolutely vital for you to look to destroy others enjoyment or question a more measured approach to playing the videogame? Will you not be happy unless everybody agrees?

Last edited:
@curdstar you are correct with your assessment of the nature of pes2012gonbegood`s posts, but while his method of aquiring those results is extremely flawed, it should be noted that the whole lack of pressure issue from the AI is a huge problem if its not rectified to a certain degree in both FIFA and PES. Im not saying the AI should pressure like crazy, but in certain situations such a champions league semi-final second leg, a relegation scrap etc..if the AI is down a goal or more...or just needs to score that vital away goal...they need to be able to make the correct decision on when and how to pressure higher up the pitch in order to get that goal.

I wouldnt expect Me(Barca) playing against the AI(Real Sociedad) to be leading and for them to suddenly go gungho and attack me straight away if the difference was just 1:0 and there was still enough time for a few decent counters...but if it became 2:0 or 3:0 the AI should realise it has nothing to lose at this point and should aggressively seek possession of the ball.

Having played numerous times against friends when they started keeping possession at the back it became very difficult to get it back on FIFA, i would have to select high pressure change formation etc just to do something every team knows how to do, whether they do it well enough is an entirely different matter...pressure of the ball carrier is a huge part of modern day football. Pressuring without compromising defensive areas is vital to Barcelona or any Big club and the smaller ones can do it well as well. Obviously fitness is also a consideration but that seems sorted.

Hopefully the game will give me the ability to modify the tactics in such a way this whole issue is non-issue in a few weeks time.

Last edited:
Judging by the rest of the stats there, and the lack of shots at goal, I'd say you played a game attempting to keep the ball at the back and barely ever venturing forward just to illustrate your point? Is this anywhere close to what happened?

Yes it is and it means if I score a goal against a team I can hold that result which is 1:0 for the rest of the match and the AI will gladly sit and do nothing, I think thats wrong and flawed.

Admit it, you read about Konami and others (including potential customers who have played both demos) championing the AI and thought to yourself ''I am going to break this game in order to prove a point''

Not really.

Okay, so the game - or the AI at least - is ''shit'' in your opinion. Why are you still here? Is it absolutely vital for you to look to destroy others enjoyment or question a more measured approach to playing the videogame? Will you not be happy unless everybody agrees?

Why would I look to destroy others enjoyment? Im here posting this to raise awareness and maybe make some people think "he might be on to something here, I think this is wrong too", im here posting this so some of it might be suggested to KONAMI so MAYBE we get a better/good enough game next year because its about time after so many next gen games.

Alltho I doubt it, I don't think they are capable of it, too bad 2k sports doesn't make a soccer game, from basketball to hockey they make by far the best sports games and crush EA or anyone else who decides to make a same sports game.

Thank you o' wise sage!

:LOL: That reminded me of an old childrens tv character from a programme called the Herbs.

Sage the Owl – An irate owl who was almost always in a bad mood. He also fell out of his nest a lot, and hated getting his feathers wet. He couldn't sing if his life depended on it, and was roped into helping to hatch Tarragon's egg. His song was "I'm a rather fat feathery owl called Sage / I'm not at all happy, in fact in a rage!"

@curdstar you are correct with your assessment of the nature of pes2012gonbegood`s posts, but while his method of aquiring those results is extremely flawed, it should be noted that the whole lack of pressure issue from the AI is a huge problem if its not rectified to a certain degree in both FIFA and PES. Im not saying the AI should pressure like crazy, but in certain situations such a champions league semi-final second leg, a relegation scrap etc..if the AI is down a goal or more...or just needs to score that vital away goal...they need to be able to make the correct decision on when and how to pressure higher up the pitch in order to get that goal.

I wouldnt expect Me(Barca) playing against the AI(Real Sociedad) to be leading and for them to suddenly go gungho and attack me straight away if the difference was just 1:0 and there was still enough time for a few decent counters...but if it became 2:0 or 3:0 the AI should realise it has nothing to lose at this point and should aggressively seek possession of the ball.

Having played numerous times against friends when they started keeping possession at the back it became very difficult to get it back on FIFA, i would have to select high pressure change formation etc just to do something every team knows how to do, whether they do it well enough is an entirely different matter...pressure of the ball carrier is a huge part of modern day football. Pressuring without compromising defensive areas is vital to Barcelona or any Big club and the smaller ones can do it well as well. Obviously fitness is also a consideration but that seems sorted.

Hopefully the game will give me the ability to modify the tactics in such a way this whole issue is non-issue in a few weeks time.
wow, this is the complete opposite of what people said the first night after playing pes 2012 pc full version :CONFUSE:

I agree with the concern you have here and it will be interesting to see how it develops (or doesn't) via competitive minded play but the method of trying to highlight such a concern is incredibly flawed by pes2012gonbegood. Listen, I am not even convinced he is playing on super star truth be told and even if he was maybe the COM just thought ''who is this guy?'' and sat off him due to it being an exhibition match. Christ! If I were playing an exhibition against an opponent showing no interest I wouldn't bother either :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom