PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

There is also a review (in Dutch) on that site.
Conclusion: 8/10 and they say PES is back.

Negative points: bad goalkeepers, now and then the intelligence of your team mates (when defending) and irrealistic goals.
Plus: point atmosphere, AI and a much better Master League (they clearly played the full game because they talked about Niklas Bendtner and Sulejmani...

If the keepers are like the demo i wont touch pes because the keepers are broken.

My impressions of demo 2 thought i would post it here as well as pes gaming, played on pro level, 0 pass support and -2 game speed.

The positives...

I feel the default pass with no pass assistance is excellent and allows more user input than pes 2011, the variation of each pass is superb and the animations match up to this, if you try to play a pass at mid height for example your player will adjust his position. Passing has a lovely weight to it and the individuality shines through without giving you a homing missile feel(ie the ball tracks the player unrealistically), the physics and animations match up very well to what you do with the controller. Through passes are also nice and seem to have more user input than last year where it felt a little to easy to find your target. Manual passes with LT are as brilliant as last year and allow you to perform passes with more zip, you also have a complete 360 ratio for these passes and stats seem to have a small but important effect, manual passes are great for curling ground passes and the variation you can achieve is very impressive.

As for shooting well I feel it builds on last years realistic system that forced you to consider many factors when striking the ball, for me the shooting is one of the biggest improvements, there is much more variation in shot trajectory than last year, you get the feeling you can strike the ball in more ways than 2011. The shooting feels more organic than last year and you have more control over aim, something about the shooting reminds of pes 4 and 5 which is good thing.

When playing the game last night I couldn't believe how realistic each game flowed and the different situations i found myself in, this is down to improved AI of course and the way the teams position themselves, the AI doesn't just gang rape you until you lose the ball but is more considered in its approach which helps the game massively. Midfield play is also back in abundance, picking up the ball with modric and trying to dictate play was a joy, or bursting through midfield with the giant luis gustavo was also a joy, you dont have to worry about unrealistically being barged of the ball and you have time to think through your options. Every match I have played has felt different, some games are like a chess match while others may be direct or more based around counter attack. I feel like I am in control of a living breathing football match.

The dribbling can look a bit odd at first, due to the improved response times the ball can feel on the rails at times, after a few more games this feeling passed for me, the individuality is still there in abundance as is weight and momentum, dropping a shoulder and a subtle change of the pace can take you past a player and it looks and feels great. I also like the fact you still have to work to gain space and speed and not just mash the sprint button.

Negatives

- Manual crossing has been removed, why konami?
- crossing a bit to effective
- A few bugs seem to be in the demo, would be criminal if they were in the final release
- Keepers are too eager to come out the box, very unrealistic at times.

For me this is the best football game ever made, it has the depth of pes 2011 with the polish and seamless feel of the wonderful pes 5. This game is not perfect of course but it feels like football and it has the play ability of the last gen games.

I believe they are getting it at the same time as mainland Europe, so it's a worldwide release.

The reason UK isn't getting it until the 14th, though, is - according to last year's conspiracy theory/reasoning - that the local markets in mainland Europe were facing many people importing the UK version, and so the local market sales suffered. As such, they release the mainland versions on the 29th or something, but none of them has English as game language.

Then, two weeks later the UK gets it with the proper English treatment.

I really can't make much sense of it, to be honest. I've always imported it since they started making those local versions without the English language option.

By the way, hadn't had the chance to reply before, but WE9LE - fantastic game indeed.

Cheers,

Paulo Tavares

Guys, don't you have a feeling that sometimes you're trying to shoot at different direction than it's actually performed by player? It looks like scripted thing and sometimes it feels scripted as hell. I would love to feel this shooting freedom that was in we2002 or titles up to PES6.

Gamepro review....

I've found crossing passes to be nearly laser accurate, leading to an inordinate number of easy headers for goals (though this is partially due to some spotty A.I. defenders seemingly ignoring my striker as the ball sails in).

Fix the god damn defender AI in crosses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is anyone bothered by the new penalty system? it has like 90% success rate. last year was perfect, why do they have to change it? smh

Me.

I can't believe they have ditched the Manual Penalty System. There is no excuse for that. Gutted.

Nice write-up Pearson.

Edit- The PES 10 Penalty system was perfect, PES 11 was flawed by the chip glitch.

Last edited:
Guys, don't you have a feeling that sometimes you're trying to shoot at different direction than it's actually performed by player? It looks like scripted thing and sometimes it feels scripted as hell. I would love to feel this shooting freedom that was in we2002 or titles up to PES6.

I did , it happened a few times already, I was aiming for the left very clearly and the ball went to the right, I was very pissed about that. Anyone else noticed this?

About release dates. Most European countries on the continent will have together with the USA, depending on the language. I think France and German have it end of september. English language version is half octobre. If this is true this is especially absurd in Belgium.

The northern part of the country will have it together with the England.
The southern part together with France.

Of course we can also buy the French version. I wonder if it will possible that Belgian players of the north and the south can play each other online...

Why not the same release date, another Konami enigma.

I did , it happened a few times already, I was aiming for the left very clearly and the ball went to the right, I was very pissed about that. Anyone else noticed this?

Yes, same here...
last time just 30min ago, aimed to left post with Messi who shoot to the right post, clearly scripted...

I'm loving this game a lot more than 2011, but it feels still unfinished and buggy.

This scripted shooting thing is awful...

Gamepro review....

I've found crossing passes to be nearly laser accurate, leading to an inordinate number of easy headers for goals (though this is partially due to some spotty A.I. defenders seemingly ignoring my striker as the ball sails in).

Fix the god damn defender AI in crosses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is whats annoyed me most the time as this is 90% of how i concede and fair amount of time its bs.

You have to switch to the CB before the winger whips it in by aiming the left sitck and flicking the right stick in the direction of your CB. Then 2nd man pressure with Circle whilst positioning your CB to intercept the cross. You have to defend this yourself now.

Saying that I'd like to see more error in the crossing, but the issue you have is easily solved with what I've written above.

And if you really adventurous press the R3 or is it L3 and the L1 button to change to the keeper and punch the ball out when the cross comes. If the AI doesn't block it for you. There are many ways to skin a cat this year.

I may just be a shit player but I am not having a huge success rate with crossing and scoring against the CPU. 1 in maybe 3 matches heavily dependent on who I am playing with of course.

Makes sense i guess, positioning is so vital in pes is what's great but frustrating at times. one night i was stomping the computer 5-2 and 5-3,
went off for a few days and first game, i got beat 3-0 :CONFUSE: then i struggled to win all night, eventually started sneaking wins towards end of the session,
it's down to fact i like to play through the middle and the defence was keeping it tight and giving me no space once i got close,
one match i was internacional against america, got beat 1-0 and it was by far,
the most frustrating game to date, feels good weird though in a way to know every game requires pure concentration

Makes sense i guess, positioning is so vital in pes is what's great but frustrating at times. one night i was stomping the computer 5-2 and 5-3,
went off for a few days and first game, i got beat 3-0 :CONFUSE: then i struggled to win all night, eventually started sneaking wins towards end of the session,
it's down to fact i like to play through the middle and the defence was keeping it tight and giving me no space once i got close,
one match i was internacional against america, got beat 1-0 and it was by far,
the most frustrating game to date, feels good weird though in a way to know every game requires pure concentration

concentration in a good way yeah, not in a frustrating way.. hope it makes sense :))

There's something odd with keeper animations that make it seem that, while the keeper parries a shot away quite comfortably, he sort of looks like he's actually spilled a shot and fluffed a catch. Doesn't inspire people with confidence!

Generally keepers seem to vary from making brilliant saves to doing annoying things. Gomes, for example, kept me out twice with a brilliant double save, then with an amazing point blank reaction save from a close range header, then ruined it all by getting an uneccesary hand to a shot from an angle and palming it directly to one of my strikers right in front of goal.

In fact this has happened a few times, could end up being an exploit. Shots or crosses low across the face of goal often see the keeper dive and palm it out directly into the middle of the six yard box.

That's Gomes for you. :P

I normally play Friedel in goal and doesnt seem to make mistakes. Im hoping that the keepers dont come up for the corners in injury time even when the team's winning like they did in 2011. That used to be annoying if the opposition broke and got an equaliser.

Also, i find it odd that when i have a throw-in around my corner flag van der vaart is throwing it to Modric. They should be up field more and leaving it to the defenders. This has happened a few times, anyone else had this?

Does the AI change tactics during a match? Does it go from attack to defense when it wants to keep a result (we know it attacks when it's behind)? Does it recognize it needs to utilize the sides or the middle and change accordingly in the same match?

Because it's good to see the A.I. being able to change some passes and one twos or players dribbling past an opponent, but that is not "better A.I."

Also, the whole dribbling system is way too effective. Skilled players can skin you on proffessional more times than it is realistic.

Also, why are shit players still play like gods?

Also, where's the variety in fouls? Where's the pushing, the holding onto a shirt, the occasional elbow?

Why are crosses so effective, with almost ALL players from amazing positions? Why do they get overhit with a simple press?

Why, why, why...

It's always the same with PES and FIFA. Never, never a true next step and always programmed and designed by incopetent know it alls.

Thank god NBA2K is here to show these amateurs how it's done.

Back
Top Bottom