PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Don't bother with the feints Dags, they are not really massively important this year, due to the added increase in angles. I use R2 alot in conjuction with the left stick. R2 is brilliant for a quick change in direction whilst keeping ball in close control.

The dribbling is actually at its easiest when you keep it in it's simplest form. Try not to over accentuate your movements on the left stick, if you moving from left to right with a player straight in front of you, draw the lead as you move within tackling distance, then move the stick from 2 o'clock to 4 o'clock. It's just a slight movement of the stick for the relevant direction. No sprint is required at that point. Once you come inside your player (after you have dropped your shouder with that slight movement), you can then tap sprint to gain a little momentum if the space is available, then rinse and repeat the 2 till 4 o'clock scenario, or which ever direction you need to turn into. Using R2 in with this will bring the ball back close for a quicker change of direction. Dribblers are given alot more artistic licence in this regard.

It is actually a very simplistic system, but it get's alot more complex the more you become familiar with it. R2 is the button though, slight taps of that will reap dividends. I'll post a goal I scored where the R2 button took out 3 players in the box. The R2 finish after it was sublime, the player even looked like had pulled a Ronaldhino cheeky 'look away' glance as he finished it. The whole move and goal was based on the exact mechanics I have just written, including a the litte burst of speed with a slight tap of the sprint button.

YouTube - R2 Dribble And R2 Finish

Also, check out the Elano Dribble on my YouTube account, that is the one that truly show's that simple relevant turns are enough to beat a man with a smooth change of direction. Nothing erratic here, just simple natural movements.

Good post. I use taps of R2 and L2 and you really see geat jinks from talented driblers this way. Making another video showing this.

Also assign your 4 favorite tricks to L1 + direction, then you don't need to remember all the combos.

I've found the Ronaldo chop is a useful trick this year. Timed it beautifully with Lennon yesterday. Was running towards the byline in line with the edge of the penalty box with one defender running next to me, goalside, and one just behind chasing me. Did the chop to weave between the two defenders and get into the box for a shot. Looked superb, should have recorded that one.

R2 works really well when you tap it to nudge the ball in another direction just when the defender goes in to take it. It's very much like it used to work and not like in PES 2011 where it more often just made your player do this close control thing. If you hold R2 down you just risk to get into "sidestep mode". tapping and then in combination with R2+R1 burst can be lethal.

I love it when the defender starts to back off and it's a battle of reacting to the other player. Who draws first, you or him. And if he makes the first move, you have to be very quick to counter it. Love it.

Also a tip when dribbling around with the ball. Since the inertia is so wonderfully realistic in this game, take advantage off it! If a player move in from the side towards you, you can often just turn towards him, making him "run pass you" if you know what I mean. Always pay attention to how the opponent move and look if you can use your momentum at your advantage. If someone is moving towards you from the front, try R2 tap to the side or burst just when he's close to you.

Edit: Also Super Cancel works great in this version. Use it all the time when battling for a loose ball. It's great for taking more control over your player so you can try to push the opponent.

Another tip is to trick your opponent by moving towards a high ball, pulling him with you so it goes over both heads and then you make a run for it! I love to trick the CPU.

Nasty trick yeah, i use it all the time works even vs human opponents.. It's been there since the original PES

Thanks for the tips everyone. Just had a few games where I tapped R2 instead of holding it, seemed to work a treat and skinned a few people with the likes of Suarez and Cavani :)

Ok so i have been slightly disappointed with the demo (as i have in the past but the game proves to be exceptional)

just have one question, does everyone use left analog to play? i still use d pad and wondered if this hindered my play as it seems to be slower?

As when i try with analog seems to speed up but would rather use d pad as analog im not comfy with.

Thanks.

Ok so i have been slightly disappointed with the demo (as i have in the past but the game proves to be exceptional)

just have one question, does everyone use left analog to play? i still use d pad and wondered if this hindered my play as it seems to be slower?

As when i try with analog seems to speed up but would rather use d pad as analog im not comfy with.

Thanks.

There's simply no way anyone should be using the d-pad any more. :CONFUSE:

With the (pseudo) 360 degree movement and the freedom of passing, using the analogue stick is more vital than ever. You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't.

Really, well ive had no problem on any iss ive ever played with d-pad including last version.

What difference does it make? what are the benefits i am missing?

Just the general subtlety of passing and movement on offer. This game is a joy to play with the pass assistance turned down to 2 or below, and to play like this you need to be using the analogue stick.

Maybe it's just playing on Professional but something really needs to be done about possession. It's FAR too easy to keep the ball and end up with 65% or more without needing to do much.

Maybe it's just playing on Professional but something really needs to be done about possession. It's FAR too easy to keep the ball and end up with 65% or more without needing to do much.

I must admit I'm feeling that to now, I must be getting better as well. Which is a bit of a shame as I love the pace of Pro, Top Player just felt a bit, well, wrong. Maybe I need a revisit.

Playing as Juve and messing with R2 taps, had so much fun with Krasic, Elia and Del Piero. It's pretty much opened the game up so much more. I thought holding R2 and side-stepping/jinking around with that did a decent job but this is so much better.

That's often the way with difficulty levels. You can never find the right one. It's either too tough/too much CPU cheating, or too easy.

Something in between Pro and Top Player would suit me.

Yeah I agree. 60% possession is a bit easy to achieve. I prefer Professional to Top Player as well, but I'd like the CPU to have more possession.

Just tried Top Player as France v Serbia. Won by my biggest margin yet with a 5-1 win. 26 shots to their 7, I think Professional might've actually been a harder level?

Just tried Top Player as France v Serbia. Won by my biggest margin yet with a 5-1 win. 26 shots to their 7, I think Professional might've actually been a harder level?

It's weird, in all the games I've played on Top Player, I only remember losing once, on Pro I lose a far higher percentage. Strange. :CONFUSE:

Has anyone else noticed how bad the animations are on manual replays? when you fast forward & rewind the animations are really fucking weird, jumpy and feet moving in a jerky fashion, really offputting.

Playing as Juve and messing with R2 taps, had so much fun with Krasic, Elia and Del Piero. It's pretty much opened the game up so much more. I thought holding R2 and side-stepping/jinking around with that did a decent job but this is so much better.

Wow, I'm surprised you hadn't messed with R2 taps since playing 2011. What else have you missed that we can tell you? Do I need to show you Rob's crossing guide?

Wow, I'm surprised you hadn't messed with R2 taps since playing 2011. What else have you missed that we can tell you? Do I need to show you Rob's crossing guide?

Aiming towards different parts of the pitch depending on where you aim the left stick? Got that one :))

I loooove the dribbling in this game. Its much like real football. Always push the ball in the opposite direction to the defenders movement. So if he is coming in from the left - go left at the moment he gets so close that his momentum doesn't allow him to change direction.

Seriously was Seabass never a footballer? His understanding of the game is amazing.

Ok, i'm going to start work on tactics :) just testing out how the AI responds to different values. It should be very similar to PES 2011 but the team management has gonee :| so i need to see how the AI changes its tactics on the fly.

i'm also going to start a ratings thread. the ratings are really crap in the demo, Inter are so overrated! Which surpirsed me that the game still shows such individuality with such bad overpowered ratings for Inter and some players here and there.

in fact i might not do a ratings thread, maybe just march over to PES stats database and get them to chaneg their rating ideology because that really needs to be re-done!

Last edited:

Its because all the AI thinks about is RUSH forward and shot/score goals, they have no concept of posession football even if they have posession tactics or even if they lead or whatever.

After some experimentation I think -2 is by far the best speed setting. It feels spot on.

I also just conceded a long range goal that took a massive deflection and looped over the keeper (think Andreas Brehme, Germany v England, Italia 90). Looked so realistic as it totally wrong-footed the keeper and he was scrambling to get back.

Ok, i'm going to start work on tactics :) just testing out how the AI responds to different values. It should be very similar to PES 2011 but the team management has gonee :| so i need to see how the AI changes its tactics on the fly.

i'm also going to start a ratings thread. the ratings are really crap in the demo, Inter are so overrrated! Which surpirsed me that the game still shows such individuallirty with such bad overpowered ratings for Inter and some players here and there.

in fact i might not do a ratings thread, maybe just march over to PES stats dtabase and get them to chaneg their rating ideology beacue that really needs to be re-done!

if you want you could get involved with chimps with quiffs and myself if you have the time,we could all make together a fantastic pes 2012 file,we worked together on pes 2011 to try make the game a better all round experience and the feedback we got was very positive on evo web and further afield

Wow I don't find Top Player easy at all, in fact it's dished out some hammerings. I think I might prefer being a bit rubbish at this, might give the game a bit more of a lasting challenge, especially when playing Football Life.

After some experimentation I think -2 is by far the best speed setting. It feels spot on.

I also just conceded a long range goal that took a massive deflection and looped over the keeper (think Andreas Brehme, Germany v England, Italia 90). Looked so realistic as it totally wrong-footed the keeper and he was scrambling to get back.

I find -2 really slow to be honest mate. The player movements and ball feel really sluggish. Maybe it's because I'm playing on PC. I'm guessing you are playing on console?

I find -2 really slow to be honest mate. The player movements and ball feel really sluggish. Maybe it's because I'm playing on PC. I'm guessing you are playing on console?

I've got the demo for PS3 and 360, but mainly playing on and buying for the PS3.

Kinda feels right to me. The ball hangs in the air more realistically and the players run at a more lifelike pace.

Back
Top Bottom