PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Tbh I hate crossing, I never feel in control when crossing, even if the outcome is positive for me... So I rarely ever cross... I can't understand why on earth crosses aren't as manual as the rest of the passing...

I hate the feckin link tricks I use the pure unadulterated manual system for them and for me PES2011 does it right in this regard. Tricks should not be easy to pull off and they aren't if you use the manual method.

Agreed with Bull on the low cross and how your defence acts when they face their own goals. I have had countless own goals when the ball bounces towards goal almost harmlessly and my retarded defender almost knowingly side foots it past his own keeper.

Another massive problem is goalkeepers and how they react to crosses or highballs. I have NEVER seen the GK punch the ball away from a corner in PES which is ridiculous. Infact they will never go out to intercept a cross even though it is very much within reach.

To be honest Fifa has gone too far with how effective tricks are where as most tricks in PES rarely give you any advantage at all. I'm not counting the Rainbow Flick they had to patch as effective because it was just overly ridiculous and Konami knew they got that wrong.

Actually, I have been able to send defenders the wrong way with tricks in the last couple of nights that I've been trying them more. The backheel feint, the matthews feint and the elastico all got me some time on the ball and a yard of space. I do think the ball control has to be better though..and there's a small delay sometimes when trying the fakes. It's like the player stops, sets himself up for the trick then performs it. In real life, the defender would have stolen the ball and be halfway down the pitch by that point...

JIMMY! WRITE TUTORIAL ON LINK FEINTS!

To be fair, I use the Link Feints, but only for one trick per direction, and two of those directions are for the same trick. One direction (Forward) has flick to the right followed by a 360 to the left. I use that very rarely, and only if the situation demands it. For example, in a crowded area/box. The flick takes you one way, then it's natural to come the other with the 360.

I use the step-overs quite alot, and they work brilliantly if you time them perfect and use a shift in direction after you complete them. Basically I use them exactly as you would in real-life, and not for show.

Last edited:
Interesting... I use left for Matthews left, right for Matthews right, and then front for Running Inside Bounce right, and back for Running Inside Bounce left.

These are the main ones I use. I miss the old times.

Does anyone know how to let the ball drop over your shoulder ala lofted throughball styler but for long airial balls or clearences?

You know, FIFA WC2010 style..?

Actually, I have been able to send defenders the wrong way with tricks in the last couple of nights that I've been trying them more. The backheel feint, the matthews feint and the elastico all got me some time on the ball and a yard of space. I do think the ball control has to be better though..and there's a small delay sometimes when trying the fakes. It's like the player stops, sets himself up for the trick then performs it. In real life, the defender would have stolen the ball and be halfway down the pitch by that point...

I think your last point sums up why i suggested it rarely gives you an advantage to try them. The tricks themselves do have the ability to fool a player, i've done it quite a few times with the Matthews Feint in PES 2010 and 11 but the delay makes it so much more annoying.

I disagree to be honest. The little feints and shoulder drops are fantastic and very effective once competent. The flashy tricks are less effective, as they should be. There are certain tricks though that do have their use, as long as they are used in relevance to the situation, and ideally with a player that has excellent dribbling and body balance.

Is it just me or are certain players ACTUALLY more effective at doing step overs an other tricks than others due to stats? I requested this to Konami i think and I'm sure they didn't include his feature because they just wanted to set down a marker on how the tricks worked. i mean they just wanted to get the function working before they delved into it.

I thought everyone was more or less the same when it came to stepovers but it seems Elia my new signing seems to do them at a faster rate compared to others i had, more so than Sessengion even?

Time for a test i think!

Last edited:
You're right, but I think it's player cards that make more of a difference.

Stepovers can be lightning quick and responsive with players who have the "Step On Skills" card, same with body feints for the "Shoulder Feint Skills" card and the other trick cards too.

Mathieu has the shoulder feint card, but unspectacular dribbling attributes, yet I can often skin people using the Matthews/shoulder feints!

They should just make it customisable tbh, I've never gotten to grips with the new system and would much prefer just the double tap of the shoulder buttons for stepovers etc. I just find it much more responsive and intuitive.

When i remmeber to do it, when near or around penalty zrea, try doing the fake shot-you use shoot button with power bar appears then press i think its X on the xbox and direct your player in different direction, it can make the defender goto block a shot that didnt happenhttp://www.facebook.com/lewisrobinson74[/URL]
This is good advice, to use a video example, look closely at the defender's movement after a shot fake on the Keane goal at 7:06

YouTube - PES 2011 MLO Compilation [Xbox 360]

Also note the Pires feint at 6:53 and how it gives me the angle for the through ball.

This video shows the Matthews feint in effect;

YouTube - PES 2011 MLO - Wing play

And again a feint in action;

YouTube - PES 2011 MLO - Luis Garcia feint + goal

These simple tricks do work :).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is good advice, to use a video example, look closely at the defender's movement after a shot fake on the Keane goal at 7:06

YouTube - PES 2011 MLO Compilation [Xbox 360]

Also note the Pires feint at 6:53 and how it gives me the angle for the through ball.

This video shows the Matthews feint in effect;

YouTube - PES 2011 MLO - Wing play

And again a feint in action;

YouTube - PES 2011 MLO - Luis Garcia feint + goal

These simple tricks do work :).

thanks Rob for the vids mate :) ive sent u a friend request on xboxlive m8

I'm staying up too, got work at 8am so hopefully the reveal everything about PES real quick or I'm going to be fucked tomorrow.

Worth it, tho.

Something I want to see in the next PES;

YouTube - First Touch Soccer iPod - Mishit cross goal

YouTube - First Touch Soccer iPod - Mishit cross goal player view

Crosses badly missing their target and possibly going in - I've nearly scored from a few inswinging double-tap crosses in PES (none going in), but that's only because the intended target missed the header and it hit the woodwork, not because the cross was off target.

P.S. - That game is pretty good, good graphics for an iPhone/iPod game :).

YouTube - First Touch Soccer iPod - Mishit cross goal

YouTube - First Touch Soccer iPod - Mishit cross goal player view

Crosses badly missing their target and possibly going in - I've nearly scored from a few inswinging double-tap crosses in PES (none going in), but that's only because the intended target missed the header and it hit the woodwork, not because the cross was off target.

i had one w Nani like that..double tap cross from the left it went in far post

I scored the other day with Richardson from a free kick which i ment a s a cross but it the keeper, all my attackers and their defenders misjudged it and it went all the way in.

I've conceded a goal like that also.

Here's two examples of what i mean:
YouTube - C.Ronaldo first goal in Manchester United
YouTube - Czech - Finland 2-0 Rosicky

PES 2011 seems to be the only game capable of doing this in a realistic manner with reactions etc..

Also PLEASE! someone make a point to Konami about the back shirt numbers. At first they looked just a little odd but now they are just annoying and the almost ruin shirts where the back numbers are far too small.

Why are they so dam small? It's so dam easy to fix and re-size them just by changing their size from 12 to 23/24 For pretty much every team this is the case.

It does make many shirts especially the edited ones look Bizarre. Or at least give us the option to chose how big we want them in the edit mode.

Back
Top Bottom