PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

This PES 2012 i will totally get it! Actually it will be the first nexgen PES i will purchase. Now i have a doubt about online play game speed:

If on a match i'll choose -2 my opponent speed will choose their own? Or there's an instance to set the speed for both players before the match start and both will play with the same?

Last edited:
This PES 2012 i will totally get it! Actually it will be the first nexgen PES i will purchase. Now i have a doubt about online play game speed:

If on a match i'll choose -2 my opponent speed will choose their own? Or there's an instance to set the speed for both players before the match start and both will play with the same?

I have no idea.

As i'm playing in -2, 0 assistance and top player, i think i won't play online matchs very often. Hardly anyone will play with these settings.

I also want to know how the match plays in 25 or even 30 min experience.

I am very confused about the passing assistance. When lowering the pass assistance what exactly does it do? Does it take away from player stats and make it more manual? What i am looking for is player individuality. Which bar (0-4) would allow for the most individuality? Since that is what makes PES PES. I want to play as Juve with Pirlo and be able to play balls around the pitch that i couldn't do with anyone else in the game.

I dont think that lowering the assistance will take away player individuality. I play on 0 and there is a definite difference between players passing abilities. The less assistance you use the more YOU have to do with the power and direction of the pass. But if you have a player with very good passing stats this will compensate for any mistakes you might make. The down side of this is that the game is still picking out who you are passing to and will occasionally(or quite frequently sometimes) select the wrong man to pass to.

I played the FIFA demo last night, all on manual and the FIFA people that come in here saying that PES is too assisted are funny. Power wise FIFA assists the pass just as much if not more than PES with 0 assistance. Directionally it may be different but I never misplaced any passes so I doubt it.
PES passing using the L2 modifier is more manual than FIFAs version by a long way, as you have to weight the pass exactly which is harder to do than direct it.

I am very confused about the passing assistance. When lowering the pass assistance what exactly does it do? Does it take away from player stats and make it more manual? What i am looking for is player individuality. Which bar (0-4) would allow for the most individuality? Since that is what makes PES PES. I want to play as Juve with Pirlo and be able to play balls around the pitch that i couldn't do with anyone else in the game.

It takes away some assistance but not much I have experienced several occasions where the AI as overrided my direction of pass. If you want manual you have to hold down left trigger aswell. It works ok for long balls and passing but not so much for shooting. Im amazed konami didnt add this feature if it wishes to entice the more advanced FIFA customer. That and the camera angles. Make them adjustable !

Most game modes online are probably locked to 0 speed setting. I don't play online, but if there are user leagues and stuff, then maybe you can set the speed there in the league setting.

I only tried one game -2 and it felt like slow motion. I agree that playing with Barcelona and the likes feels a bit fast on 0, but lower ranked teams (newcastle, sunderland, sweden, greece...) plays pretty realistic to me on 0. -2 just feels like everything is slowed down, including the ball physics, to me it looks like if you play on the moon with less gravity.

Edit: About the assistance. I think it's only the AIM assistance, not the result if you know what I mean. So full bar is CPU AIM + accuracy error (stats) and 0 is mostly YOUR AIM (power + direction) + accuracy error.

Last edited:
Geez you PC guys are a spoilt bunch. I downloaded the patch by jenkey with the 72 teams. The graphics, scoreboards, training mode the updated teams on just a demo is phenomenal.

Playing with Bordeaux is phenomenal much like the signings malaga made with Nene, Chantome, Sissoko, Pastore and more very decent bunch of players.

The beauty of PES though still lies with the minnow teams. The speed and general error in the ball and players is perfect.

By the way I dropped to proffessional as Jimmy recommended and it is so much more balanced in how the CPU attacks much slower and method and conceeding feels genuine and not pre ordained.

Jenkey's patch is worth getting just for the 3* defending challenge alone. An absolute beast of a challenge but it will definitely teach you a thing or two about defending properly.

hi guys and pes fans finally i found the key move in pes 2012 and i felt the need to share with everyone, im not sure if anyone posted this before anw after playing the demo extensively i had a feeling that something wasnt just quite right on my build up play. who could have thought that the least "important" move in all previous pes is the no1 rule for build up play in pes 2012. no wonder it took me so long to find. the "trick" for realistic build up play in pes 2012 is simply the R1 trapping of the ball :CONFUSE: its so different now this changes EVERYTHING, your controlled player will trap the ball with his main foot bit to the side instead of the old front stomp we were used and that opens so much options and it looks soo realistic now. looks like a real football match give it a try cant wait for this game!!!

sorry for my english :P

Geez you PC guys are a spoilt bunch. I downloaded the patch by jenkey with the 72 teams. The graphics, scoreboards, training mode the updated teams on just a demo is phenomenal.

Playing with Bordeaux is phenomenal much like the signings malaga made with Nene, Chantome, Sissoko, Pastore and more very decent bunch of players.

The beauty of PES though still lies with the minnow teams. The speed and general error in the ball and players is perfect.

By the way I dropped to proffessional as Jimmy recommended and it is so much more balanced in how the CPU attacks much slower and method and conceeding feels genuine and not pre ordained.

:SMUG:

How did you get on bud, score-wise ? Still a challenge ?

Last edited:
hi guys and pes fans finally i found the key move in pes 2012 and i felt the need to share with everyone, im not sure if anyone posted this before anw after playing the demo extensively i had a feeling that something wasnt just quite right on my build up play. who could have thought that the least "important" move in all previous pes is the no1 rule for build up play in pes 2012. no wonder it took me so long to find. the "trick" for realistic build up play in pes 2012 is simply the R1 trapping of the ball :CONFUSE: its so different now this changes EVERYTHING, your controlled player will trap the ball with his main foot bit to the side instead of the old front stomp we were used and that opens so much options and it looks soo realistic now. looks like a real football match give it a try cant wait for this game!!!

sorry for my english :P

Do you mean R1 or R2? Anyhow, you can use both R1 and R2 for controllling the ball depending on the situation. Tapping R1 and a direction just as you trap the ball pushes the ball further ahead in the direction you specified. This helps you to turn away from players who are going to close you down. Very realistic and real-life players do this all the time.

Tapping R2 lets you do a controlled trap. I use it when I want to control the ball and lay it off. Again, it borrows from real life.

You can even control the ball without pressing either of those buttons and just turning in the direction you want to using the left stick. Experiment with the different options to really understand the mechanics of the game. Cheers!

Jenkey's patch is worth getting just for the 3* defending challenge alone. An absolute beast of a challenge but it will definitely teach you a thing or two about defending properly.
Link please? I did see some other patches, but no reference to the training challenge...

Do you mean R1 or R2? Anyhow, you can use both R1 and R2 for controllling the ball depending on the situation. Tapping R1 and a direction just as you trap the ball pushes the ball further ahead in the direction you specified. This helps you to turn away from players who are going to close you down. Very realistic and real-life players do this all the time.

Tapping R2 lets you do a controlled trap. I use it when I want to control the ball and lay it off. Again, it borrows from real life.

You can even control the ball without pressing either of those buttons and just turning in the direction you want to using the left stick. Experiment with the different options to really understand the mechanics of the game. Cheers!

yea the R2 trap is exactly the same as in pes 2011 but the R1 trap(while dribbling release d-pad and press R1) is sooo different dude that move is essential after i found this everything just clicked i can play at top player difficulty now and the game is so smooth whilst before was feeling really weird i could only play proffesional. im playing pes around 10 years now and as far as i can remember the R1 trapping of the ball was basically useless no need to do it at all i was really suprised that pes 2012 is based around that simple move :CONFUSE:
hmmm.. sorry my bad actually the word for it is not actually trap lol trap is for receiving passes if im not mistaken anyway just try it bro while dribbling release the d-pad and press R1 the player will stop the ball with his favoured foot bit to the side. it was the only move i see all the time in real football games and it was the only move missing from all previous pes btw the cpu always use this too in every match i play

Last edited:
Spurs (me) vs Inter (1-1 FT)

Etoo ran to the wing, cutting inside getting past 3 of my player as i try to go straight to the on-the ball player and quickly use X + R2 defensive system, crossed it, ball just went past milito and my defender because it's quite powerful cross, Boom sudden heading by Dejan IIRC.

Directly kick-Off after the goal. Make a quick pass to Bale, and make a one-two (i guess). But instead of directly pass to him. I passed it to Modric. Bale is running from mid-left to sideline forward sprinting with RB of Inter track him.. but oh boy nice through ball from Modric, powerful not necessarily high to almost corner side far ahead to let Bale use his running speed and release a direct cross, 3 of Inter defender inside (looking at how quick bale is i guess lol) but this speedster Defoe is looking a good position with me have to move him further to blast a close heading to make score 1-1. :WORSHIP:

@2nd half i try to maka a situation to shoot from distance bust failed :TTTH: meanwhile Milito got one-one with GK from Sneijder through pass but miss it. :FAIL:

Well, it felt great to make quick equalizer. Call me crazy, but i get the feeling CPU is surprised by that quick build up. No, they are not static, they also try to catch and defend. But you know that morning attack :BOP:.

Last, i really like this moment is still in there while dribbling and the ball is goes in front 50:50 with opponent defender, just by adjusting left stick Defoe is stretching his foot to take the ball and make a slight turn past that defender who is late stand tackled him. Nice little touch but feels good.

Yeah Nagatomo can make quite realistic error in sideline, first touch and dribble incorrectly, out of play. Inter make some error pass to both to far ahead and late pass.

I enjoyed the draw :SMUG:

I hope they release day 1 patch for signings because they all wrong. Why Eto'o at Inter? Where Forlan? Where is Adebayor at Spurs? -_- And in the patch fix the stats because i never seen such horrible stats in PES as in 2012.

Chicharito 72
Mario Gomez 77
Falcao 77

Ibra 93
Rooney 93
And who is this jap Nagatomo with 86 rating? o.O

O.o lol

Last edited:
I've got some cool clips to upload later this week, some Modric skills cutting across using R2 then poking the ball through some inter player's legs. Very nice. Modric is IMMENSE in this game.

It's also the first football game I've ever been so impressed with the AI that I record AI goals.

One, I got done over by Sneider driving forwards, passing to a lone striker who held the ball up, tapped a lay off and Sneider followed up with a first time drive low from outside the box. Brilliant team play.

Another, Eto'o skipped past a couple of defenders, slowed down, weighed up his options before playing it square for someone to control, sidestep a defender with his second touch, and place the ball into the corner from just inside the box.

Still finding Top Player to be HARD. I took another spanking but it never feels annoying or scripted to me, just beaten by some good football. I've tried Professional and it's more balanced, but still feels a little easy to me. I certainly don't win every game by any means, rather I have too much of the ball to feel really realistic.

Last edited:
I've got some cool clips to upload later this week, some Modric skills cutting across using R2 then poking the ball through some inter player's legs. Very nice. Modric is IMMENSE in this game.

It's also the first football game I've ever been so impressed with the AI that I record AI goals.

One, I got done over by Sneider driving forwards, passing to a lone striker who held the ball up, tapped a lay off and Sneider followed up with a first time drive low from outside the box. Brilliant team play.

Another, Eto'o skipped past a couple of defenders, slowed down, weighed up his options before playing it square for someone to control, sidestep a defender with his second touch, and place the ball into the corner from just inside the box.

Still finding Top Player to be HARD. I took another spanking but it never feels annoying or scripted to me, just beaten by some good football. I've tried Professional and it's more balanced, but still feels a little easy to me. I certainly don't win every game by any means, rather I have too much of the ball to feel really realistic.

I have on average about 60% Possession on this level, although my tactics are set to the Possession Game, so I personally feel those statistics are accurate to the way I play.

Just a curious state of mind about superstar level. Since, most have felt what it is in top and professional diffiulty ?

Question is, how do you wanna see superstar difficulty work ? Mine are :
1. Keeper can save/parry more.
2. They are more accurate at tackling and shoot more often.
3. Cpu can read your off the ball team mate better/earlier, hence cut off your pass more often
4. They quickly adapt your style of defending and attacking to counterbalance.
5. They waste time by passing around more if leading at 80 mins above.

In brief, Pushing you to read your team mate AI much earlier, hence your timing to execute of pass should be very important part.

I wish the replays were longer... Just played an absolute peach of a diagonal long ball with Kranjcar - 60-70 yards perfectly into Bale's path, but the cross got cleared away and by the time I paused to view the replay, the long ball wasn't there...

Would be great if we could get at least the last 5 mins of play in the replay. FIFA on the PS3 lets you view the entire match in the replay, really cool feature IMO.

I'm thinking the passing is very assisted this year though - I tried using the manual modifier lobbed passes to attempt shots at goal (as the L1 lobs are no good from close range this year), and it ended up going nowhere near the goal, more like a cross...
Cross-field passes to switch flanks also seem quite scripted, simply aim to the other side of the pitch and fully power it, seems impossible to overhit and seems to go right to feet rather than being overhit or misplaced...

This is on the lowest assistance setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a curious state of mind about superstar level. Since, most have felt what it is in top and professional diffiulty ?

Question is, how do you wanna see superstar difficulty work ? Mine are :
1. Keeper can save/parry more.
2. They are more accurate at tackling and shoot more often.
3. Cpu can read your off the ball team mate better/earlier, hence cut off your pass more often
4. They quickly adapt your style of defending and attacking to counterbalance.
5. They waste time by passing around more if leading at 80 mins above.

In brief, Pushing you to read your team mate AI much earlier, hence your timing to execute of pass should be very important part.

They won't be any changes like that. All they will do is up the aggression of the opposition so you have less time on the ball and they attack more.

Agree long passes are too easy. In fact I wish there was more error all round really.

I like the ground passing on zero bars, you see enough errors and I notice the difference between good and bad passers. I really need to think about each pass, judge weight and direction and consider the benefits or dangers of a certain pass.

I wish this was replicated in all other areas, such as long passes, crossing, shooting and heading.

My main gripe at the moment is crosses, which are far too accurate, especially from the CPU. I don't notice the effects of body position, aim, weak foot or player stats on crosses. Not enough consideration needs to go into a cross. Just press the cross button regardless and 9 times out of ten it will be really accurate. To make matter worse headers and volleys are then similarly accurate and of course we all know about the keepers.
Easy accurate crosses + easy accurate headers + bad keepers = not a good combination.

As it is I'm enjoying the game but feel that just a little more error on everything plus the CPU adding more slow possession to its game would take this game to legendary level.

+1

If you guys are somehow having problem beating the computer... play on top player. play as bayern or spurs, place ribery/robben on wings gomez as striker, for spurs play with bale and lennon on wings and crouch (lol even defoe is effective! LOLOL) as striker. All you have to do is send crosses the entire time. Watch the replays, notice how the central defenders stay behind the attackers lol

Yeah bombing to the byline followed by a cross seems the optimum cheap way to score goals in this iteration. Don't know how effective it'll be online though. Seem to remember the AI struggling with crosses last year as well actually.

Anyone else disappointed we can't select a 3rd kit. I remember in one of the older version of PES you could create a third kit by alternating between home and away for the tops and shorts. This was a great addition but has never appeared since.

Every time i play it i love it more!
They are a lot of fabulous plays between me and the cpu that i want to see them all on the highlights moments.

Hope if is possible that an editor make something to see all the highlights that was on a match an not only the best 5 or 6.

I hope they release day 1 patch for signings because they all wrong. Why Eto'o at Inter? Where Forlan? Where is Adebayor at Spurs? -_- And in the patch fix the stats because i never seen such horrible stats in PES as in 2012.

Chicharito 72
Mario Gomez 77
Falcao 77

Ibra 93
Rooney 93
And who is this jap Nagatomo with 86 rating? o.O

O.o lol

I agree with you about the stats in general but they won't patch/fix them.

Back
Top Bottom