PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Scored a rocket with Ibra.

YouTube - PES 2012 Ibra!!!

The game has grown on me. As for those having hard time defending, you are not the only one. I love it though. I have to defend like I would if I was playing in real life. You have to sit back a little and time your tackle or let the cpu have a shot that goes wide more times than not. Also, I use extra defenders when someone like Rooney or Cavani have the ball near the goal.

more dodgy goalkeeping

more dodgy goalkeeping

it looks liek he does a 33% dive

in other words he could dive 66% more distance but is withholding himself...thats what the animation looks like

Happens a lot

then when its a shot stright at them they parry it or still worse dive out the way lol....oh sht..theres a ball im scared I better dive out the way so I dont get hit..

more dodgy goalkeeping

On further examination I actually conclude that it is not a ''dive''.

Rather than having keepers exert themselves by jumping off the ground using their feet and then stretching their body and arms out to attempt to save the ball (which is known in the footballing world as a dive.)

Konami have introduced the ''lazy goalkeeper'' concept..Where one can basically stay standing in same position whilst falling sideways to the ground and waving arms out.

This new ''special technique'' is called the ''fall over stretch''..

And will now replace the ''dive'' as the goalkeepers most common ball saving technique.

Unfortunately it is useless. However it allows goalkeepers to preserve stamina and prevent injury though with the side effect off conceding a goal

Last edited:
I am really wondering if KONAMI understands it can record more animations at the same time. for example; after recording animation side stepping one, you can record 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 within 5 minutes. i have no doubt in my mind that they record one and then go to another animation, that's why the goalkeepers are so shit. I don't understand why the goalkeeper stands still after every shot. it doesn't even move as if it's constipated.

For the rest still enjoying the demo. Top player is getting really easy. Also sometimes the CPU is attacking when iam jogging. like the bug we had in 11.

This whole "arcadey" thing... yes, the PES2012 demo is "arcadey" in some ways, but the frustrating thing is, a couple of tweaks would remove that feeling almost completely. Slow down the turning and player movements across the board, make dribbling a bit harder (for the CPU as well as the human player), fix the goalies to make the scorelines more realistic and fix the passing for greater contextual error - and hey presto, a non-arcadey game. The core of the game doesn't seem arcadey in the slightest to me, it's those little imbalances which make it so.

Scorelines more realistic? What scorelines are you having? lol.

Slow down the turning and you get PES 2010/11. No thanks.

To me the problem actually lies on the fact some players have too good dribbling stats.

Last edited:
For me it is the speed setting that needs a little bit of alteration. -1 is too slow whilst 0 seems too fast, somewhere in between would be just right. I'm still confident everything will be okay in the 2nd demo then the game itself.

I'd say those games captured football as best possible given the tools at the developers disposal.

A match in a football videogame lasts 15mins(avg.) real time but looks to capture 90. That requires balance and yes, even some videogame license in order to make that so.

AH thats true given the available technology at the time PEs was very simulation type game.

However if you go back and play it now its very arcadery as its so simplistic and dated.

For me it is the speed setting that needs a little bit of alteration. -1 is too slow whilst 0 seems too fast, somewhere in between would be just right. I'm still confident everything will be okay in the 2nd demo then the game itself.

Maybe just me but speed 0 seemed really slow maybe cuase I been playing old pes games and they are much faster?

I dunno?

Scorelines more realistic? What scorelines are you having? lol.

Slow down the turning and you get PES 2010/11. No thanks.

No you don't. This is the problem - people don't understand what's being asked, or even what the difference was between 2010/11 turning and PES 2012 turning. It's not just about speed at all.

As I've said before, -1 dribbling, maybe even -0.5, mapped to the 0 speed gameplay would be awesome. I don't have as much of a problem with the dribbling speed as others - it is high but at it's core there is still inertia and momentum, as opposed to being devoid of it. It's no different to the artistic license used to make centre backs dribble like their grans in 2011, and yet that was accepted by most of the same voices. Generally speaking human players are unlikely to be as ruthless at dribbling as the CPU on Top Player/Superstar, so that will balance things out.

The issue with Gattuso dribbling past people is just as much an issue with the aggressive and reactive AI as it is a side effect of implementing a new defensive system. Just putting it down to dribbling speed is very simplistic, when the balancing needs to be more refined than just changing one thing alone.

Funny thing though when PES1,2,3,4 etc..where released was there every any long debates and thoughts about the game?

I dont think so,,,,wed just pick up play and enjoy.

The fact we can have several 100+ page threads about a demo and picking up complaints shows the game is not right.

Maybe internet ev web was not a big thing back In PES3?

But IMO and with my freinds we didnt think do we enjoy this game? IS it better? Whats different?

WEd just pick up and play and in face always felt oh this is so much better, more team, better gfx, better shooting, etc.....but never major changes

To me the problem actually lies on the fact some players have too good dribbling stats.

True in a way, but not that the stats of players are just wrong, the bigger issue is that theres too little difference at all..

Take someone with 90 Dribble accuracy and someone with 70, both will dribble really close to their feet and while the one with 70 might push the ball a bit further the difference is WAY too small for a 20 drop, they really need to fix this otherwise it won't be realistic and very hard to fix by changing stats of players even.

Funny thing though when PES1,2,3,4 etc..where released was there every any long debates and thoughts about the game?

Actually, I remember when PES5 came out, a lot of people were disappointed and complained - but then it was because they didn't give it enough time to get to know the game (mostly).It ended up being one of the favourites in the series. Then when PES6 came out, people complained about the tackling, which was much easier and the referees weren't so strict. People complained it was dumbed down from 5 (me included actually.

So I do think that complaints have followed the PES series quite a long time now. But it was due to a much more widespread internet that made it more evident.

Actually, I remember when PES5 came out, a lot of people were disappointed and complained - but then it was because they didn't give it enough time to get to know the game (mostly).It ended up being one of the favourites in the series. Then when PES6 came out, people complained about the tackling, which was much easier and the referees weren't so strict. People complained it was dumbed down from 5 (me included actually.

So I do think that complaints have followed the PES series quite a long time now. But it was due to a much more widespread internet that made it more evident.

I siad pes1-4 deliberately because I know there was a big shift in gameplay for pes5 and many hated it..to slow, to hard to score, too many fouls.

Id say that for 99% people PES2>PES1 Then PES3>PES2 no complaints...PEs4...well I thought it was ok but some thought it wasnt but to me it wasnt much different tha previous...not much debate.

THEn PES5.....it was very different....THen PES6 I haveno idea as I stopped playing games that time period..Then I came back from abroad and bought PEs 2008 and I was like WTF!!!!!!!!!! WHat happneed to my beloved PES!!!! WTF!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! MAMMA MIA WTF WTF WTF WTF IS THIS SHT!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

then for 2 years I sat alone in my room pondering my life and suicide then I came across FIFA 10 which cheered me up a bit.

lol

Last edited:
Well, you did say etc etc, so I assumed you meant all the games up to PES6. ;)

ha sure. But yeh when I typed it up I did think how PES5 caused a bit off a debate. But as far as 3,2,1 everyone just enjoyed the next installment..same with ISS/ISS98/ISS2 on PS1

Though I found that each one had different shooting so you had to work on that.

Eg..if you shot like pes2 in pes3 you would shot over the bar or shot like pes4 in pes 3 it would to be weak etc...(no being real just example)

I mean each game shot power bar and techinque was different. I ALWAYS noticed that everytime I got a new PES. And spend 1st few days training working on shots.

Last edited:
Yeah i agree. I thought 0 was good at first but have since always turned it to -1. Atleast -1 works pretty well. I didn't think it did at all in 2011.

What annoys me with slowing down to -1 is that the responsiveness feels slower, there seems to be more of a delay when I try to pass or shoot....which I think is a bit shit. Also on this demo the ball feels too floaty in the air like a beachball, it needs to be tweaked better for lower game speeds.

Does anyone else cringe a bit when playing the demo, like I do? Sometimes from the pitch side camera and the way the demo plays, I think I'm playing FIFA, not a good feeling :/ doesn't last very long, but I can't help it, it's hard to adjust to the big differences between 2011 & the 2012 demo, the graphical blur thing doesn't help either, makes the game look FIFA ish on occasion

Or perhaps you think I'm talking turd :D

I actually think the best thing I've found so far with the new AI is that you can pass the ball patiently and wait for an opening to create nice goals. In PES 2011 you'd have players bunched or standing still too often so you had to force the pass or through ball and often turned it over.

So now you have more options to set up scoring chances, but you don't have to force them quickly. You can take your time. I find it great.

Well guys can you tell me either.

1. My pc is crap and the game plays slow for me on 0 (unlikely as my PC is 1 year old and top notch back then..)

or

2. As I have been playing old PES games 1-3 +5-6 sometimes these games were much faster

Becuase I find this game slow on 0

Well guys can you tell me either.

1. My pc is crap and the game plays slow for me on 0 (unlikely as my PC is 1 year old and top notch back then..)

or

2. As I have been playing old PES games 1-3 +5-6 sometimes these games were much faster

Becuase I find this game slow on 0

just stopped playing pes 5 and its not that pes 2012 is too slow, it is the older games, played at soo much pace, i don't remember it being as fast :CONFUSE:

Is anyone else thinking about what their MLO teams will be?

was thinking something like this A 5-3-2
=============Ochoa==================
======Moreno==Coates==M.Figueroa========
Dos Santos*======================Salcido
============Arevalo==Perez^===========
===============X.Prieto=============
=========Inzaghi=======Osvaldo======

*) If Konami switch him from being as attacking mid to how he has been playing for Barca in pre-season. If not Maxi Pereira.

^) Once I have enough money I might think about Guarin as a replacement.

just stopped playing pes 5 and its not that pes 2012 is too slow, it is the older games, played at soo much pace, i don't remember it being as fast :CONFUSE:

Right so why do people think this 0 is fast lol. I was bumping it up to +1 +2 lol.

Maybe PES 2010-2011 were real slow.

BUt if you compare to the old PS2 pes games this one is so slow lmao...

funny/weird.

I know what you mean Rob. The FIFA shots have more of a loop on them, which happens sometimes in real life, but generally they're whipped with a little more power.

On PES 12 they look better from widecam/pitchcam but just need that little bit of curl to make it look convincing. Don't need to curl much close to goal as these shots are generally placed but if it's outside 18 you're trying to start it wide of the post and bend it back inside so the keeper can't get a hand to it.

On PES 11 I remember that if you held R2 as you power up (rather than pressing it after the power bar is up on screen) it would give you an animation that looked like a whipped shot, but with way too much power and it would just sail over the bar with too flat a trajectory.

the way I see fifa verus pes is fifa is like binary digital

you shoot and the shot can go in about 6 fixed places...
You make pass and player movement and it all feels very fixed

Whereas PES is like analog its like all the pitch is available to run on and pass on and shoot on. ITs like less fixed more open.

FIFA is like digital
PES like analog

FIFA like D-pad
PEs like mouse

If you know what im trying to say lol

Though in recent years FIFA has improved this aspect. PEs still has more freedom in movement, passing and dribbling

Right so why do people think this 0 is fast lol. I was bumping it up to +1 +2 lol.

Maybe PES 2010-2011 were real slow.

BUt if you compare to the old PS2 pes games this one is so slow lmao...

funny/weird.

That's because most people who puts PES5 and 6 on a pedestal haven't really played them in years, and thinks of them as some kind super-sims that are even more realistic than real life.

And before anyone protests, I did say most.

(Love PES5/6)

That's because most people who puts PES5 and 6 on a pedestal haven't really played them in years, and thinks of them as some kind super-sims that are even more realistic than real life.

And before anyone protests, I did say most.

(Love PES5/6)

ha well I think they mustve been and were sim at the time they were released but play them now and they feel arcadey

PE1-4 are very arcade

PES5 only seems less arcade cause its slowed down loads

PEs6 is faster than pes5 but in some ways actual seems less arcadey than Pes5?

ha well I think they mustve been and were sim at the time they were released but play them now and they feel arcadey

Yeah, I remember being touted as the most realistic football sims ever created when they were new. It's the story of computer gaming. At one point, Kick Off 2 and Sensible Soccer were the most realistic football sims as well. Just have to see it in context. Perhaps PES were considered more realistic on the PS2 back when it was new, compared to how people see PES today, but there's no doubt in my mind that PES today is a billion times more realistic than the the PES of old. It just doesn't seem that way because now there's a much tougher competition in FIFA than there was on the PS2. If FIFA hadn't had such success in this generation, I doubt people would complaint that much about today's PES games.

People so easily thinks that what once was truth must remain truth forever, but when it comes to computer and console gaming, that's impossible. Look at the back of a gamebox from the C64, and you'll often read words like "hi-res" and "realistic", but in the context of time, that wasn't necessary false. However, it sounds like pure comedy when you compare it to what we have today.

Yeah, I remember being touted as the most realistic football sims ever created when they were new. It's the story of computer gaming. At one point, Kick Off 2 and Sensible Soccer were the most realistic football sims as well. Just have to see it in context. Perhaps PES were considered more realistic on the PS2 back when it was new, compared to how people see PES today, but there's no doubt in my mind that PES today is a billion times more realistic than the the PES of old. It just doesn't seem that way because now there's a much tougher competition in FIFA than there was on the PS2. If FIFA hadn't had such success in this generation, I doubt people would complaint that much about today's PES games.

People so easily thinks that what once was truth must remain truth forever, but when it comes to computer and console gaming, that's impossible. Look at the back of a gamebox from the C64, and you'll often read words like "hi-res" and "realistic", but in the context of time, that wasn't necessary false. However, it sounds like pure comedy when you compare it to what we have today.

yeh I was thinking earlier how games like striker and sensi soccer seemed amazing at time and for example kick off 3 seemed so realistic etc..

If you compare the games that were competing against PES during the ps1/ps2 days PES is far more realistic than any other soccer game.

But yeh nowadays freedom of movement, phyiscs, dribbling etc..so much more developed.

No doubt 10 years time it will be even more different.

I think though that despite the progression on techonology considering enjoyment of each game for its time footy games are ironically at their lowest peak for years..FIFA 09-11 are ok

But going back

striker or N64
Sensi Soccer
Kick off 3
ISS deluxe
Uefa Champions League
USA 94
ISS
THen the PES series up to PES6

There was always a good footy game out.

And though PES 2010 is prob better than Kick off 3 for its time its not. IF you know what I mean.

I played kick off 3 hardcore when it was released it was amazing. BUt PES 2010 was not. Even Uefa champions league I think it would prob be crap now but It was fun for months in its time.

So, despite advanced techonology the fun aspect of the game has declined.

Back
Top Bottom