PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

Has anyone noticed that Rooney has a different shot technique and animations than everyone else? The Shot Technique stat has definitely been quietly rolled into another, less obvious stat.

Edit: Or maybe it's his Long Range Shot player card?

Last edited:
I hope they fix not just the goal keepers but the joke stats this game got. Why Italian teams stronger than the rest? Napoli better than Porto? It's the other way around in real life. Milan better than Man U? Come on now lol. Robinho (89 rating hahaha), Thiago Silva (92 konami you for real?), Ibra (93 wtf lol) are super over rated. Why Falcao 77 rating? And he dont even have real face hahaha

I know i can change ratings but not for online....

Beautiful compilation mate. Just one thing that bugs me - I notice you can now hit some placed shots from outside the box (the animation looks nice :)) but take a look at that Berbatov shot towards the end of the video. If you watch it from wide cam it looks gorgeous. If you watch it from behind the player, you notice that it's "placed" rather than actually curling in an arc.

And no it's not just FIFA's finesse shots that I'm comparing it against. Look at Young's double overnight for Man United, they CURL! Even if it's just a subtle movement off the straight line, it's still how a curler should look.

I understand "R2 shooting" is back from what I hear - I do hope this adds some actual curl to those shots because they look great...but I don't want the animation to kill the joy for me :P
Agreed - Young's strikes yesterday are a perfect example of something you can't do in PES. :(.

Has anyone noticed that Rooney has a different shot technique and animations than everyone else? The Shot Technique stat has definitely been quietly rolled into another, less obvious stat.

Yes, definitely. I thought that yesterday after he hit a shot from the outside of the box. Never seen that type of animation before. I didn't realise it was specific to him until you mention it.

Nerf, I wish they would to. But the most important part for me are the theories, as long as they are correct, I can put up with some of the less than technically correct animations. The insight and theories are actually the hardest part, which makes it even more annoying.

I get what you mean. It's just that the anims detract from these things sometimes. Like you say, from that angle you could never generate that sort of power or lift with the instep. Ideally you really ought to have to either shift the ball with an extra touch, or take an extra moment to shape around it like a tennis player moving around for a forehand, or perhaps attempt a floatier one with the outside of the boot.

I do still wish that they'd use professional athletes for their mo-capping, there really is such a glaring difference between that and some ungainly software dev. The flap of the arms, the swing and lift of the standing foot, the lack of follow-through with the kicking leg, the unnecessary forward momentum... it's a bit like my 5 yr old nephew in the garden.

They do. It's a misconception that they only use devs for mocapping. They hire a pro to do most of it, but when they find something doesn't quite work when they try to blend it in or they find they need to fill some gaps then rather than arrange for the pro to come back in when he's next available, they suit up themselves.

The funny thing about all the incredulity about this topic is that EA do exactly the same thing. The devs they use happen to be technically accomplished footballers as well. Not sure if the same's true of the Konami devs.

I hope they fix not just the goal keepers but the joke stats this game got. Why Italian teams stronger than the rest? Napoli better than Porto? It's the other way around in real life. Milan better than Man U? Come on now lol. Robinho (89 rating hahaha), Thiago Silva (92 konami you for real?), Ibra (93 wtf lol) are super over rated. Why Falcao 77 rating? And he dont even have real face hahaha

It's always been a massive problem unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if Pires is still better than most in the game.

In PES 2011 ML could a player get injured whilst away on International duty? I can't remember. Either way, they can be in the new game. Saw Bhatti tweeting about it happening.

That, is all.

id agree on everything except Ibrahimovic, he is a fantastic players and 93 is a fair rating!

i was shocked by Falcao though, having scored 17 european goals last year, and having something like 41 goals in just over 50 appearances for Porto

You can, at least along the ground where the ball grips the turf. I scored a beautiful curling goal with Rooney just yesterday, moving infield from the left some 20 yards out. It was going quite a few yards wide at first but the curl and the bounce helped it find the far corner.
That kind of spin off the turf was in PES 2011 though, what I mean is firmly struck shots that bend in the air, maybe with top spin.

YouTube - Beckham Fantastic Goal

You can't do that in PES.

There isn't even much bend when striking across a moving ball... You can only really put swerve on free kicks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always been a massive problem unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if Pires is still better than most in the game.

actually silva IS that good
but yes robinho and ibra are notoriously overrated..

tbh i like this slight overrated old players, adds personality into the game, keeps them legends alive for a longer time..

In PES 2011 ML could a player get injured whilst away on International duty? I can't remember. Either way, they can be in the new game. Saw Bhatti tweeting about it happening.

That, is all.

This is great news, I so wish there was somewhere amongst all the PES forums a thread that was purely dedicated to ML (FL) news for PES12. From the few bits of info I've seen lately it is going to be epic!!

Any news on MLO?

I want to know that as well, but I am even more curious about the new mode where you can play community vs community. I wonder if that is 1 vs 1 or more, like 5 vs 5 or so.. that would come close to the populair club-mode of FIFA :)

Ok - so I've just played a couple of hours of FIFA world cup. Seriously, the FIFA series has to be the MOST frustrating ever. CPU can literally murder you out there and they don't get called for it - you sneeze and it's a yellow card. WTF?! lol

Whoever seems to think FIFA is ahead of PES in animations should take a good hard look at the game again. My word is it clunky.

Players in FIFA take steps from side to side that are reminiscent of dribbling around cones. Every step and touch looks like they're slalom skiing and with poor control. Supposedly has 360 degrees of movement but it has NOWHERE near the intricacies of PES' movement.

I only wish I had discovered PES years ago instead of banging my head against the wall with FIFA. I was originally excited about both PES 12 and FIFA 12...but now I'm seriously considering not even touching FIFA 12.

Another word on defending. Stand firm with your man the CPU AI don't like it up 'em so to speak. Just beat United with Milan 2 - 1 on top player. Anyone noticed how they completely step it up when they are losing. Referee blew for a foul on Rooney (which it wasn't imo), then there was some handbags going down where he looked like he was going to kill someone, those eyes were evil lol. Like i said stand up man for man and get stuck in there just don't be hasty about it.

Another word on defending. Stand firm with your man the CPU AI don't like it up 'em so to speak. Just beat United with Milan 2 - 1 on top player. Anyone noticed how they completely step it up when they are losing. Referee blew for a foul on Rooney (which it wasn't imo), then there was some handbags going down where he looked like he was going to kill someone, those eyes were evil lol. Like i said stand up man for man and get stuck in there just don't be hasty about it.

Most definitely, they really turn it up a notch or two. I really like that, pretty realistic that added impetus. I played with Man Utd against Porto, everytime I scored they came at me. It was 3-3 at half-time, with me going a goal up and them equalising on every occasion. Rooney then got his hat-trick and the winner in the 91st minute. They weren't coming back again. :)

Random thought about bad goalies, I think poor keepers also have to do with the fact that CPU doesn't sub the goalies or even other players even when they're purple/blue.

Keepers still suck, but it does make a difference i'm sure.

I thought of this after playing a large amount of games, and at times the goalies were very astonishing i would say.

Last edited:
Keepers suck because they don't have the animations to deal with a whole variety of shots. They also lack any kind of decent side stepping animations so they simply don't really position themselves (lack of any real kind of side-step animation) for mid range to long shots, which obviously leads to a lot of those. Another suspect time is when you hit the ball at the keeper, so many goals come from shooting right into the keeper and him obviously not having the animation to push the ball away with his body.

Keepers aren't even bad when they have the 'right' animation to deal with the shot based on the position of them in relation to the ball.

Those arrows don't help either though as you would expect but i definitely think my point is a bigger issue and something noticable in keepers playing with red up arrows. For instance it's their reaction times for shots which seems to go down with bad form arrows, nothing about having less animations.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks that inertia/momentum WITHOUT the ball is the most impressive ever in pes 2012 ?

I am really struggling with the defending, just can't get a hang of it. I have never spammed X but I am constantly finding that when I try to male a ta kle with X, players skip past me. I am finding it nigh on impossible to keep clean sheets. I am using R2 to jockey but it is not really working for me. So what am I doing wrong?

Keepers suck because they don't have the animations to deal with a whole variety of shots. They also lack any kind of decent side stepping animations so they simply don't really position themselves (lack of any real kind of side-step animation) for mid range to long shots, which obviously leads to a lot of those. Another suspect time is when you hit the ball at the keeper, so many goals come from shooting right into the keeper and him obviously not having the animation to push the ball away with his body.

Keepers aren't even bad when they have the 'right' animation to deal with the shot based on the position of them in relation to the ball.

Those arrows don't help either though as you would expect but i definitely think my point is a bigger issue and something noticable in keepers playing with red up arrows. For instance it's their reaction times for shots which seems to go down with bad form arrows, nothing about having less animations.

Yeah..that in bold is so important and i can't see it in pes 2011 or 2012 demo. It's so basic and important for keepers.

The goal post still is big for many keepers, but their secret is anticipating to the shots and positioning themselves by making these littles side steps. It's a crime for not having this on a football game, come on...:SHOCK:

Most definitely, they really turn it up a notch or two. I really like that, pretty realistic that added impetus. I played with Man Utd against Porto, everytime I scored they came at me. It was 3-3 at half-time, with me going a goal up and them equalising on every occasion. Rooney then got his hat-trick and the winner in the 91st minute. They weren't coming back again. :) Yes i like that aspect to it as well they really go for it that is when you really have to be on your toes especially in defence. Sounds like you had a good game there. Going to be some quality online matches with this one i reckon.

Back
Top Bottom