PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

I attribute half the goalkeeper mistakes to the fact they never shimmy across goal to ready themselves for shots so that they're in a better position to save a shot. By shimmy i mean the crouched sidestep that goalkeepers do. I'm sure you know what i mean, every single keeper does it and if you've ever played in goal well you should know it.

Case in point, i just scored a goal with Napoli where i shot from 35 yards the ball curled along the floor towards the end so it was by no means a power strike. I watched the goalkeeper and all he does is dive on the spot. He barely moves over to where he can clearly see the ball is heading before he decides the moment is right to dive.

Personally i think Goalkeepers tend to be bad at saving at waist height too unless it's directly at them and i believe that is mostly because they simply don't position themselves using an animation whereby they can go for a save. Whenever i see goalkeepers position themselves it is always by upright jogging or running.

that is true. i wonder how many new keeper animations there have been in the last few years anyway? not a lot, i was playing the demo last night and i did notice that the same animations were being repeated quite a bit.

the shimmy is vital, though saying that i'd rather PES keepers than the Crab like stances and flea like jumps of FIFA keepers!

How have people found the run triggers by the way?

I've been playing around with the manual option. If you remember the explanation I gave somewhere, the point is not to just control the 2nd man at all times, but to get him moving in the direction you want him to run and then click the RS again to deselect him. If he's moving in a direction when you click then he will run in that direction for a good 10-20 yards.

I had Anderson on the ball just inside the centre circle and Young was out wide on the left, but not trying to get beyond the fullback. I used the right stick to tell Young to run, up the pitch but also ever so slightly toward the touchline. Ando then passed infield to Rooney, who pushed the ball onto his right and hit a beautiful raking 50 yard pass straight onto the toe of the still running Young. I then cut back onto my right and hit a poor cross towards Chich :(

I think they're useful in certain contexts, but no way in hell are they exploitable. They're tricky to use and the sorts of runs you can create are rarely that much better than what the game offers already. There is still room enough to add something to your game though.

One downside to the preset slider options is that the position switching is limited to 8-12 in all cases, so if you want anything more exotic you have to use the custom options. Not a problem for me - just seems odd that the possession option will be limited too, seeing as Barca will probably be using it.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of manual runs in the demo. Something i have to ask myself though is whether or not the game kind of aids you a lot more when passing to those off the ball players. Sometimes i play really good passes to those off the ball players despite me not really thinking i'm aiming the joystick that accurately towards them. I guess the game knows you want to pass to them specifically and it's not surprising that the combination of the off the ball player reacting quicker to your pass, in comparison to having to switch and run yourself, means that it feels like a successful pass, whether it be to feet or a ball to run onto, feels easier to pull off.

I haven't really tried assisted because i don't struggle with manual and manual allows for so much more freedom.

Last edited:
I know this will sound very optimistic, but I cant fathom out another reason for these two Demo's. It's certainly breaking the mould, and there has to be a reason for that. I'm hoping this a very clever marketing ploy where as they show their initial hand early, to highlight the differential between Preview Code and Review Code. I'm assuming that the 2nd Demo will far surpass the 1st Demo, and in turn demonstrate a progression that will whet the appetite for an even more proficient Final Code. I just think they were so confident with what they had early doors, more confident in 2nd Code, and completely brimming with regards the Final Retail. For me, as optimistic as it may sound, can surely be the only reason why they would do this ? Anyone get where I'm coming from here ?

I know this will sound very optimistic, but I cant fathom out another reason for these two Demo's. It's certainly breaking the mould, and there has to be a reason for that. I'm hoping this a very clever marketing ploy where as they show their initial hand early, to highlight the differential between Preview Code and Review Code. I'm assuming that the 2nd Demo will far surpass the 1st Demo, and in turn demonstrate a progression that will whet the appetite for an even more proficient Final Code. I just think they were so confident with what they had early doors, more confident in 2nd Code, and completely brimming with regards the Final Retail. For me, as optimistic as it may sound, can surely be the only reason why they would do this ? Anyone get where I'm coming from here ?

I do. Konami hoping the first demo is the lure and the second demo is the reel.

So whats the reaction from 'general' gamers, it's clear those of us who liked PES 2011 love 2012, but have any FIFA heads been swayed? I can't even get my mates to give it a try, too stubborn.

It'll take a while but I can see the support shifting again, it was the same when FIFA 09 came out, all the PES players refused to give it a go despite the mediocre PES 09, but eventually came round until FIFA became the dominant series. Hopefully the inverse happens this year.

The only thing that makes me sad in PES is the fact that we can't use Libertadores teams in the Master League mode

it's so many talents wasted

We better hope the keepers are miles better in the final game, they look gamebreaking right now (from seeing videos) and this is coming from someone who has little complaints about 2011 keepers (I know a lot of people think they are very poor in 2011).

The only thing that makes me sad in PES is the fact that we can't use Libertadores teams in the Master League mode

it's so many talents wasted

Definitely, I reckon I'd actually prefer a ML entirely of Libertadores players over Rest of World ones if we were given the choice. The players seem more distinctive in their talents and limitations than some of the all-rounded European counterparts.

So whats the reaction from 'general' gamers, it's clear those of us who liked PES 2011 love 2012, but have any FIFA heads been swayed? I can't even get my mates to give it a try, too stubborn.

It'll take a while but I can see the support shifting again, it was the same when FIFA 09 came out, all the PES players refused to give it a go despite the mediocre PES 09, but eventually came round until FIFA became the dominant series. Hopefully the inverse happens this year.

Hmmmmnnn, mixed feelings with that Dan to be honest. As much as I'd like Konami to get the credit and rightful crown they deserve in the media, I quite like them playing second fiddle to Fifa. For me it strives them to achieve even more. I'm not saying Konami would do what EA Sports have done after the incredible success that Fifa 09 reaped, and sit on their laurals milking the market, but they may get a little more comfortable than I'd like them to. Take PES 5 and PES 6 then PES 2008 as an example.

It's always going to be a comparision that can't really be judged accurately in my book either. Both games cater for a different market, both have vastly differing philosophies. Both are fantastic games for what they set out to achieve, and regardless of what Rutter says, his market his the casual/arcade market. Fifa is an incredible arcade football game, the best ever. PES is a great simulation. Two games, two philosophies. The consumer buys into whichever philosophy suits them. Simple.

Rom, I'm glad you have looked at the Right Stick Trigger, because that is my first port of call tomorrow. I want to learn and master that, as I feel it will be the major difference. The general PES train-of-thought wont include that by default, and because of that, I dont believe many will take the time to learn it. And although it does go a little against what I perceive to the more realistic approach, I wont dismiss it until I can understand it's relevance and application. And I wont be able to do that until I have a pad in my hand.

Last edited:
You cant back-track now Henry, many people on here embarrassed themselves and I must admit I was both shocked and disappointed with some of our members and their comments. I expected more insight from them. It wasnt rocket-science, it was a basic understanding of how Seabass works. It was blatantly obvious in my book, and it should have been for the rest. I know alot of members would normally have known better but got caught up in the annual sensationalism whipped up by a few ignorant frenzied members. Simple as that. Let's just leave it at that, learn from it and move on.

Last edited:
Definitely, I reckon I'd actually prefer a ML entirely of Libertadores players over Rest of World ones if we were given the choice. The players seem more distinctive in their talents and limitations than some of the all-rounded European counterparts.

then it's time to Konami fix this at time, btw John didn't reply in twitter , bad feeling:CONFUSE:

No doubt in my mind they will be improved, the question here is, how much.

Keepers are too terrible most of the time in this code. They feel unfinished and very buggy.

Here here. I've got a feeling it has to do with the way shooting is. Shots that look floaty end up being parried as if they were traveling 180km/h.

I'm sure the PES Team realize this, but it's a shame for this demo, since I've already scored a lot of different types of goals and I can tell there's been a lot of work put into the variations of shooting/scoring.

then it's time to Konami fix this at time, btw John didn't reply in twitter , bad feeling:CONFUSE:

But how hard is it to have them in ML? They already have that fake libertadores in there and we only see 2 teams competing for it. Why not add the real libertadores in there instead just like CL and EL? Then we'll have proper club world cup instead of the fake one too.

PES2011 is far better?
In what way?

Just curious.
I wouldn't worry about it - there are some people around with strange, strange opinions on football games!

I know some people who actually think PES 2008 is one of the best in the series!
Also some people try and argue that FIFA is more realistic than PES. Laughable.

Hoping to have the demo up and running tomorrow, I'll post up any links that I find for the 360 demo so those of us without Xbox Live or hard drives can have a try :).

But how hard is it to have them in ML? They already have that fake libertadores in there and we only see 2 teams competing for it. Why not add the real libertadores in there instead just like CL and EL? Then we'll have proper club world cup instead of the fake one too.

Pretty sure Jon said last year and this year too, that it's a licensing limitation.

uurgh I love the demo and hate trying to get the PS3 controller to work on a PC. Its making me nuts I'll wait till tomorrow now.

I've downloaded it Zee, got it off a Torrent in 6 minutes this morning. I wont bother fucking about with my PS3 pad though now, I'll wait till tomorrow till I can get it on the big screen. :)

*opinions only based on video footage*
Slightly worried about how easy it seems to score in the demo, I know the keepers are crap and they should be improved but the amount of space given on the edge of the area and stuff seems like your able to nail a sweet strike and most often its a goal or just wide. Is it that easy to really get a shot off as it seems or do you really need to work hard for that opening?

*opinions only based on video footage*
Slightly worried about how easy it seems to score in the demo, I know the keepers are crap and they should be improved but the amount of space given on the edge of the area and stuff seems like your able to nail a sweet strike and most often its a goal or just wide. Is it that easy to really get a shot off as it seems or do you really need to work hard for that opening?[/QUOTE]

You need to work for the opening as the defenders are more aware than before and will try to block your shots.

Anyone feels something missing from PES 2011 compared to this first Demo? I repeat 1st demo, not 2nd or final one.

-------------------------------

Btw cpu ai movement of top player is indeed good, varied. Not necessarily they are that hard to beat but the variety of their attacking play is making PES 2011's top player of cpu ai look rather unintelligent :P

Oh ya.. they show their individuality too. I guess i have some good time making evra red-carded for robinho.. :SMUG:

Yes. robinho. come to papa :PIRATE:

Back
Top Bottom