PES 2012 Discussion Thread .......

From what I see, the animations look a lot better. The running animations seem to have been overhauled as well as the close control animations. Overall they seem smoother without resorting to Fifa's superhuman player movement.
They really need to get rid of the sidestepping animation though. It's a relic of the old games and looks really dated when compared to the new animations.

It warmed my heart to see defenders tracking attackers' runs and not just leaving yards of space for them to frolic in.

I hope Konami sticks to its guns this year and don't pussy out because of a few whiners.

@kobayashi: Are you judging the speed from the vid on the background? If so, don't, there was a similar vid last year with CPU vs CPU gameplay on the background and it was also really fast. PES 2011 isn't fast.

From what I see, the animations look a lot better. The running animations seem to have been overhauled as well as the close control animations. Overall they seem smoother without resorting to Fifa's superhuman player movement.
They really need to get rid of the sidestepping animation though. It's a relic of the old games and looks really dated when compared to the new animations.

It warmed my heart to see defenders tracking attackers' runs and not just leaving yards of space for them to frolic in.

I hope Konami sticks to its guns this year and don't pussy out because of a few whiners.

I know, i agree 100% WHY Konami, please re do it! it looks terrible

@kobayashi: Are you judging the speed from the vid on the background? If so, don't, there was a similar vid last year with CPU vs CPU gameplay on the background and it was also really fast. PES 2011 isn't fast.

I just hope there's a good set balance in terms of ball physics and the pace for online matches, i mean offline you can slow it down away, i mean for online i don't want it to be too fast. It's a early build though so..

my comment on pes 2012 today's announcement

i see that konami wanted to focus only on the AI improvement in the next title though some people misunderstood that as the only area that will witness massive improvement in pes 2012 , but IMHO concentrating on showing the biggest advancement in one one area "even the most important one" can never means that other game areas will not be improved , and the following are very little examples of that , that very little background gameplay though was n't intended for final game quality showing , yet we could steal some "important moments" that prove that konami biggest interest in the next title will NOT only be in the artificial intelligence area

1-new square European style nets
28am3ic.jpg

for sure thanks to the feed back section that was attacked by the net lovers last year lol

2-new asking for the ball animation
10qi5oz.jpg

and OMG 2 players are asking for the ball at the same time "am i dreaming ?" lol

3-another new "asking for the ball animation "player in side view"
125i4o4.jpg

4-very limited stumble animation "almost absent"
stumble animation will no longer limit you from fully controlling your payer at any time
here u can see the player heading the ball enter a very momentary stumbling and instantly run for the ball

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_takCDRR4tA

5-amazing 1st touch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQpqEqmdACs

6-new falling animation
the player no longer shows the back somersault funny animation while falling
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-5Zo-I4IdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BdfcisD2p8

7-some new amazing dribbling animations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1irDGOgho7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awn4xAd4sCA

i've spent some hours cutting those video moments , upload them though my net speed sucks , just wanted to assure some annoyed pes fans , be sure guys pes 2012 will be amazing , ooh i really hope so :BYE:

I like the fact that Seabass has already mentioned what was my main gripe in PES 11.Off the ball movement, I'm glad they have focused on it.
I like the way they have set up duels, defending 1v1 seems a lot better too.Can't wait.

In pes 2011 i noticed easily that the online quick matchs are a bit too fast, definetly more arcadey than MLO experience.

edit: yeah, i love that first touch. it's one of the first thing i noticed in this video. really good.

everything looks very promising,am glad they listen to community and improve AI ,have one fear for pes2012 ,that the slowest gamespeed (-2)is going to be even faster than in pes2011,for me-2 in pes 2011 is a good speed,but faster speed for -2 in pes 2012 would make it less enjoyable,looking forward to info on editing,low shinpad socks,enough logos, emblems, teams are what i want,also when they update teamroosters players that retire or are transfered to a team that is not in game are lost,they should be placed in free agent rosters,to be used again for editing.

Like someone else mentioned, it's nice to see Seabass just chat about footballing fundamentals rather then gimmicks and engines. It's refreshing to see an acknowledgement of faults and room for improvement.

vlcsnap-2011-05-13-12h57m50s201-580x326.png

Unlike Rutter who'd tell you his majestic 10/10 game has been improved upon AGAIN by including revolutionary passing inaccuracies.

I prefer this, than what FIFA or even last year coming out events brought. It's great to see that the man who has the most influence over the game seems to care and understands there are flaws. Great catch Dannyfc2.

Konami know what they doing! They really are on track!

They focus so much on the getting the function right, making it deep! All the fancy stuff comes after.

Does Rutter even understand if he wants a proper sim he's going to have to rip up his slick, smooth animated game and add a shitload of proper AI and mechanics which simulate stats? I don't think he does, then again i among many are growing so cynical of the man I'm not surprised.

Fail again...

Tragic running and turning animations again...

Goodnight Seabass...

Creative producer talks for 7 mins about improving the fundamentals of the core game and all you care about are the turning animations?

I am an animator by profession so I understand your gripes but I'd rather the biggest leaps be made in the gameplay department.

Even in the close-up you see that the animations are not smooth. But i don't really care. If they focused on AI, I hope it will be miles a head of 2011, cause if not then what have they been doing the past months?

What is really exciting is 1v1. You can clearly see they have put allot of time in it. The body movement, the way they stand in front of the ball. I hope players get enough option to become good in defending and good in attacking in 1v1 situation. That will give us much more control and this will eventually lead to more skillful players. I hope it will not just be hold x, but more about timing and pressing the right direction for defending but also for attacking. no more pass, pass, pass through ball and shoot....let's hope

Fail again...

Tragic running and turning animations again...

Goodnight Seabass...

Yes, who cares about individuality, game balance, tactics, inertia and team AI?

Who cares about the left stick being highly sensitive and how most players will not be able to turn like Messidonna Pele bruce Lee.. Especially players from PES and WE united!

It's all about gliding across the pitch smoothly and instant perfect 1st touches! :)) culminating is scoring from 45 degree with a finesse shot of finishing on the end of the customary lobbed through ball!

Let's advocate Polakis theory, Konami forget about simulation, or getting the functions right, just make the animations silky smooth, sexy and add full manual! Forget about everything else :COOL:

Like what I have seen so far. Seabass knows how to tweak my nipples I tell ya. Talk football not technical mumbo jumbo.
I like the mention of the stumble animation being eradicated and the placement of players in set pieces.
Looks promising but room for improvement which I am sure there will be many before release. If you were expecting a brand spanking new FIFA clone....Go....AWAY

That video is a bit of a mixed bag. Regarding animations, compared to the improvement from 2010 to 2011 is negligible, although I didn't expect a major overhaul but so far they look minimal and still quite...robotic.

Moving on to the actual gameplay, I do like the forward runs, but I want to keep my mouth shut until I have played the game. But in general, if these runs are well-timed, they can add to the realism of the game, otherwise they will turn it onto another FIFA 10 with scorelines closer to basketball's (let's just hope attacking won't be a one-two fest)

Analogue stick switching is certainly a much needed addition, perhaps without it I wasn't going to bother with the PES any further as it is a necessary addition especially online. This alone will improve defending by a mile or two, regardless of the AI improvement to the defensive system.

Again, way too early to talk about the game, I would have liked to see more eye-catching features, but then again it is not all about eyecandy for which there is the FIFA franchise! Hope to hear more exciting news in the next few months.

Last edited:
where are my animations??!!

another year without wasting my time in pes and being more productive :(

Let's not intimidate each other and call each other PES or Fifa fanboy please. It's been all good and dandy in here ;)

Last edited:
About time to post something :)

We are heading in the right direction, that's all I'm going to say.

Great job Hany3 ;)

Given the AI in PES2011 was piss-poor, pre-beta garbage, they can't fail to improve it this year.

Also player switching in 11 was tragic and copying from FIFA the use of LAS for manual player switching is a sensible move.

I'm very happy with that, and reading between the lines of what Seabass has said, certainly gets me all wet and moist. :)

You got to love this guy and his beliefs, someone once ridiculed me before when I stated that it's quite uncanny how, for someone without any background in football, completely grasps all the relevant fundementals and techniques. He will always amaze me in that regard. As for the video, for me, it's not about what was happening in the background, but more of what he says. It's no secret that the best PES titles to date have always had the best balance between attacking and defending, and it was nice to hear him highlight that as this years primary driver.

I also believe that alot of what was in PES 2011 was just a base for what is to follow. Remember the video last year when he talked about the 'retreat' defending ? Well the concept was perfect, unfortunately there was issues with the implementation that made this particular feature null and void. I mean the system is there, but it isnt relevant, I feel PES 2012 will be the next step to making these type of features become part and parcel of the defending system. The highlighting of players for cursor control is huge, massive. But to be fair, it was an obvious flaw that needed work, thankfully that is being rectified.

Everything I have seen and read so far highlights massive emphasis on gameplay, A.I. and individuality. This is exactly what I want personally. The off-the-ball pre-empting A.I. looks incredible, this is taking A.I another step further, and something we have never had before. This will have a huge impact and how we play the game, and for those of footballing mindset, it's pure gold. I cant wait to see this aspect of the game. It will bring individuality to another level, and the relevant statistics that can be incorporated into this is vast when you think about it.

The whole animation system is eye-candy, it's nice, but it doesnt instill depth and longevity to a game. I'm sure we'll see better animations, but that is bottom of the list for me.

The final statement from Seabass said it all really, 'We still have a mountain to climb but we will get there'. Brilliant, for all the obvious reasons. It's also the exact opposite to Mr Rutter's claim, 'I'm not sure we can improve anything'. Go figure.

Last edited:
I like what I heard from Seabass, deffo moving in the right direction, he didn't talk about gimmicks, what he did was to try and address issues which actually have a direct impact on gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom