PES 2011 Discussion thread

It's always the same each year, there are always going to be comparisons between the two as long as we don't let it resort to schoolyard level I think it's fine and sometimes funny...

I need ML info, please let the next leak have some and not that that they have shoved it online either...

Well fingers crossed we'll get an article from a site more likely to talk about the significance of what most definitely isn't fluff (good luck finding anyone in here who thinks that player individuality, attribute dependence, context sensitive passing accuracy, multiple players challenging for the ball etc are fluff!) than Zoo?

You're missing my point. I'm saying the article is just words, "fluff" that sounds lovely on the outside. However, we've been here before with reviews and articles and EA themselves. There's always a huge quantity of promises made year upon year, but when it gets down to the brass tacks (and we play the game ourselves), realistically, there's only a handful of changes that are actually fulfilled. I worry that the mention of improvements made to the core gameplay amount to "tweaks" when in truth they require a re-work.

While we're on the subject though (and I promise this'll be my last OT about this, so I've spoilered)...
....judging by the article the individuality they speak of seems to be primarily graphical/animation based to look and behave like the real life counterparts. What I and many others want to see in individuality in the gameplay of each individual.

Context sensitive passing accuracy could be achieved without any individuality, they could do this based on the direction of the players body, the speed at which the ball is passed or crossed to them, whether it's a first touch pass or 'measured' pass; it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the ability of the player/individual controlling the ball.

Multiple players challenging for the ball is a basic AI trait. This hardly counts as a new feature.

Until there's a mention of an improved use of the stats in the core gameplay, I fear the gameplay will grow stale after a few weeks.

I'm not saying Konami are completely absolved of all their sins; history would tell they've been just as bad, but the evidence we've seen of PES 2011 so far is very promising and they appear to be delivering on their promises. Even though the evidence is very short I can see a lot of the proposed changes in action (changes in the animations, IK, steps towards improving the presentation/cameras) and I'm happy.

Now I'm just hoping EA follow suit and give us substantial improvements in the areas that need it most.

I agree (mjsmith2k) - to me the best part of the Konami trailer - not Messi but the line by line of what they are implementing.

The lighting in PES looks incredible too - if they could only have the full licenses (thank the Lord we have such a gifted community)

You're missing my point. I'm saying the article is just words, "fluff" that sounds lovely on the outside. However, we've been here before with reviews and articles and EA themselves. There's always a huge quantity of promises made year upon year, but when it gets down to the brass tacks (and we play the game ourselves), realistically, there's only a handful of changes that are actually fulfilled. I worry that the mention of improvements made to the core gameplay amount to "tweaks" when in truth they require a re-work.

While we're on the subject though (and I promise this'll be my last OT about this, so I've spoilered)...
....judging by the article the individuality they speak of seems to be primarily graphical/animation based to look and behave like the real life counterparts. What I and many others want to see in individuality in the gameplay of each individual.

Context sensitive passing accuracy could be achieved without any individuality, they could do this based on the direction of the players body, the speed at which the ball is passed or crossed to them, whether it's a first touch pass or 'measured' pass; it doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the ability of the player/individual controlling the ball.

Multiple players challenging for the ball is a basic AI trait. This hardly counts as a new feature.

Until there's a mention of an improved use of the stats in the core gameplay, I fear the gameplay will grow stale after a few weeks.

I'm not saying Konami are completely absolved of all their sins; history would tell they've been just as bad, but the evidence we've seen of PES 2011 so far is very promising and they appear to be delivering on their promises. Even though the evidence is very short I can see a lot of the proposed changes in action (changes in the animations, IK, steps towards improving the presentation/cameras) and I'm happy.

Now I'm just hoping EA follow suit and give us substantial improvements in the areas that need it most.

i read your spoiler. Good points. The game must feel and look like football. This a testament to pes5/6 thr graphics compared to next gen are poor but the gameplay and the feeling of football is 2nd to none. Fifa looks good yes, but it likes feeling in my opinion.

Its seems like that magic that PES had is like a secret ingredient that Konami seem to have lost but are trying to rediscover it. But with PES2011 we are seeing changes such as IK and innovations such as the tactical timeline feature, adding more depth. These little innovations are what made pes so good. Glad to see they are innovating again as the series was getting stale.

What you´re saying is totally true, and to be a little more exact with Fifa´s criticism, I personally hate the lack of actual football(passing, strategy) and how absurd it is that a single Ronaldo or Messi can Rainbow Flick and Fake their way to the goalie.

And the celebrations... the moonwalk... seriously? That goes great with the atmosphere I guess...

This news couldn't be better for us! Konami starting to push EA and EA pushing Konami right back? This decade just got interesting.

This is very much along the lines which i'm thinking. I'm not going believe anything EA throw at us in terms of hype. I'll just wait for the Demo to give a first judgement.

Last year and also the year before they made it seem like the gameplay would be 'sim' based, especially after all the play testers all said how passing was harder, shooting was harder etc.. etc.. I wouldn't believe ny of what EA say. Just wait for so decent videos and wait for the demo!

Just wondering how those Youtube fifa players will cope with a sim based game and they wont be able to beat entire teams with Ibrahimovic anymore? Since these people are quite key to EA's succes over the last few years, i doubt EA makes a game which doesn't compliment their style.

Well end of the line... no PES news till next week, and even then, Konami are keeping gameplay under wraps at E3(here´s hoping for a leak!)

Anyway, this might just turn into a Fifa forum for now :D

Well end of the line... no PES news till next week, and even then, Konami are keeping gameplay under wraps at E3(here´s hoping for a leak!)

Anyway, this might just turn into a Fifa forum for now :D

I can't visit the fifa forum here, apparently some people are too offended when i say it's not a sim.

Until there's a mention of an improved use of the stats in the core gameplay, I fear the gameplay will grow stale after a few weeks

The article does say "you have to think about which player you're controlling", saying you won't want to try a through ball with JT.

Again, EG and the rest, including the fans who actually went to play the game, will be far more descriptive in this respect.

For what it showed me the video of pes2011 will be worse than 2010, do not know why loads of water puts a video like that. If you do not have a good job showing it does not show that crap. Same robotic movements, lack of control over the player, Ibrahimovic lowering the saint appears in the game, that it is, do not know what Konami is mirrored to make this game, but it seems that there is in football. If the game sucks out this year I hope you feel ashamed of doing updates in the game engine, not only in terms of graphics, having to stay an entire year only on the basis of promises and seeing nothing good being done is frustrating, slowly since I'm giving to the ps3 fifa ...

My God, EA's game looks as ugly as ever. PES's margin in the graphics department just increased.

I'm sure the 13 yr olds will eat that run like fake Ronaldo stuff up, but I expect better from the grown ups here. Typical EA stuff.

I look at the HD version of that rough sound booth PES and already see the leaps Konami have made. Very promising.

I can see a pattern emerging here. As long as there's no news on FIFA, evo-web is actually one of the most optimistic places to be regarding PES. After the first news come on, it all goes down the drain...

Oh well, it's been a fun ride.

Now back to the regular scheduled programming.

Cheers,

Paulo Tavares

My God, EA's game looks as ugly as ever. PES's margin in the graphics department just increased.

I'm sure the 13 yr olds will eat that run like fake Ronaldo stuff up, but I expect better from the grown ups here. Typical EA stuff.

I look at the HD version of that rough sound booth PES and already see the leaps Konami have made. Very promising.

yep EA are the masters of marketing. But those two main improvements 'pro passing' and 'personality' just seem like many of their other gimmicks over the years. Ill still buy Fifa in the hope that the game is deeper.

But I really think Pes has a chance to re-establish itself this year. The 'pro passing' and 'personality' has been in PES since the beginning, more so on the PS2 than next gen. E3 we should have an indication of how PES is shaping up.

yep EA are the masters of marketing. But those two main improvements 'pro passing' and 'personality' just seem like many of their other gimmicks over the years. Ill still buy Fifa in the hope that the game is deeper.

But I really think Pes has a chance to re-establish itself this year. The 'pro passing' and 'personality' has been in PES since the beginning, more so on the PS2 than next gen. E3 we should have an indication of how PES is shaping up.

I'm sorry but I can't agree that "pro passing" is in PES. At least not on the current gen games, because I can ping pong the ball around so easy on PES 2010. The CPU can even do it better where any team it uses plays like Barcelona with perfect one touch football. Pro Passing is more what PES 2011 is implementing, because it has to do a lot with the power of the pass, by implementing a power bar.

The thing every PES fan(boy) seems to focus on these days are the graphics... how the times have changed.

I'm sorry but I can't agree that "pro passing" is in PES. At least not on the current gen games, because I can ping pong the ball around so easy on PES 2010. The CPU can even do it better where any team it uses plays like Barcelona with perfect one touch football. Pro Passing is more what PES 2011 is implementing, because it has to do a lot with the power of the pass, by implementing a power bar.

The thing every PES fan(boy) seems to focus on these days are the graphics... how the times have changed.

I said more on the PS2 days, u really felt the importance of Pirlo, Zidane etc. I think people are focusing on graphics cos its all we've got at the moment. Except that jostling video.

lol I love it how some are pissing and moaning over what looks like a Alpha build which no way near even represents the final game.

I said more on the PS2 days, u really felt the importance of Pirlo, Zidane etc. I think people are focusing on graphics cos its all we've got at the moment. Except that jostling video.

I know, but it seems to be enough for most people. A lot of people already say that this is the PES that proves that the king is back, when this could really only be decided when we know how the gameplay and AI is. I agree it looks amazing from the new camera, but that doesn't matter if the game doesn't feel right.

Back
Top Bottom