PES 2011 Discussion thread

Moving on, there seems to be some contradicting information. Penpas says 360 (32 way) movement, PEM3 (apparently) says 16 way, though I didn't see that in their play-test article. I really wanna see this gameplay video now, I've gone from excitement to anxiety.

Apparently PSM3 said 16 slash 32, without any confirmation of how much it really felt like, lol.

I really hope Konami clear up much of the confusion about PES 2011 at E3. As usual I feel that we, the fans, are left with more questions than answers in the build-up to PES.

Regarding the issue of freedom of movement - I've always maintained that 32 directions, with a nice animation engine, would be enough to make any football game feel free and pseudo-360. I really don't believe full 360 degree movement is exactly a game-changing feature. Having said that everything in Konami's press release - aided by the promotional line ''engineered for freedom'' - points towards full 360 degree control of all aspects of gameplay. Konami could disappoint a lot of people if the reality is quite the opposite.

I really hope Konami clear up much of the confusion about PES 2011 at E3. As usual I feel that we, the fans, are left with more questions than answers in the build-up to PES.

Regarding the issue of freedom of movement - I've always maintained that 32 directions, with a nice animation engine, would be enough to make any football game feel free and pseudo-360. I really don't believe full 360 degree movement is exactly a game-changing feature. Having said that everything in Konami's press release - aided by the promotional line ''engineered for freedom'' - points towards full 360 degree control of all aspects of gameplay. Konami could disappoint a lot of people if the reality is quite the opposite.

Well said. Some stuff on the press release, or even stuff that was told to the press, are still "on paper". The chance to end up disappointed with all these doubts is so big that I kinda have difficulty in remaining positive.

I'm so eager for something conclusive... Whatever the hell that means.

After the play-test feedback and seeing that early build clip I've already decided to at least give this game a chance, unlike the last two years it seems Konami have actually tried to implement numerous game changing features and improve the flaws of the recent titles; just genuinely listening to what the fans actually want. How much I play it with depend on successfully they implement them... plus gamestation has a 7 day exchange policy so what have I got to lose?

I'll be buying it on release day on the basis that I genuinely enjoy PES2010 - which in my opinion is the third worst PES behind 08 & 09 - so if PES2011 is a good improvement (which it looks to be) then I know I will get many months out of the game. I've played a lot of Fifa over the last few years but it just doesn't do it for me so I'm back with PES. Konami still do so many things right.

I cant play two titles so I'll be buying which ever comes first then renting the next, I'll play them both to death then pick the one to go with...
Now I've got used to FIFA I'm praying Konami will give us a better Sim off field, if I have to switch back I'll be gutted with 2 Divisions...:P

I'll leave Fifa 11 for a few weeks, see what the general consensus is after the traditional honeymoon period. That is unless the demo absolutely blows my socks off.

looks like PES 2011 is out of E3... (not included at konami games list)

all we can do is wait till GC 2010

Well... Looks like PES 2010 with upgraded graphics and animations, which is good.

Wasn't expecting anything different. All I wanted is PES 2010 with better animations and we have more than that.

If I wanted a different game then I'd go for Fifa, or Pure Football, NOT.

Last edited:
The ball doesn't seem to move around now to fit animations like in PES 2010, it really looks completely free again... Nice. It looks a bit sluggish like in 2010 when maxwell have the ball for example, hopefully they'll fix it (I know they say they're working on it... doesn't mean it will be fixed).

Problem is that it kind of should be sluggish if the player have long touches. But since we only have jogging or full sprinting and no control between, it makes it frustrating because you always have such long touches if you want to go faster than jogging.

I'm afraid in PES 2011 that the game will be unfinished. On the one hand graphics,ball physics and 70% animations will good. On the other hand 30% animations, 360 degree movement and responsive time will crap. In old PES most of these things was superb and nobody talk about it. Why KONAMI for 4 years have problem with these basic things....:YAWN: All these things should be in the same good level. The game will not decent if 50% part will nice and 50% will crap.

Last edited:
Why do people consistently jump the gun ?

Is it because we live now in a society in which most person's are unwilling to wait and demand this now ?

The game is still not finished, we've had a few videos and yet people are decrying the game without even having played it or the games testers themselves having played it.

Perhaps it is because most of you on this forum are still relatively young I suppose but a little patience is always a useful virtue.

I'm afraid in PES 2011 that the game will be unfinished. On the one hand graphics,ball physics and 70% animations will good. On the other hand 30% animations, 360 degree movement and responsive time will crap. In old PES most of these things was superb and nobody talk about it. Why KONAMI for 4 years have problem with these basic things....:YAWN: All these things should be in the same good level. The game will not decent if 50% part will nice and 50% will crap.

Nothing like a bit of optimism. :CONFUSE:

Why do people consistently jump the gun ?

Is it because we live now in a society in which most person's are unwilling to wait and demand this now ?

The game is still not finished, we've had a few videos and yet people are decrying the game without even having played it or the games testers themselves having played it.

Perhaps it is because most of you on this forum are still relatively young I suppose but a little patience is always a useful virtue.

Exactly. Remember these videos are from mid-May and they are not official Konami promotional material, but what they show is a few journalists being taken on a studio tour to see a game that is work in progress. E3 is only next week and Konami will most likely have some proper promotional material and hopefully a playable code to show. Then we have Gamescom in August. Make your minds up then, it's too early now to proclaim PES2011 as good or bad based on about one minute of shaky home video footage.

Sorry for the double-post.

Dan, editor of PSM3, just posted this on WENB:

I wouldn't read too much into this gameplay video in terms of polish, odd animations etc - since it was merely being used as a 'placeholder' so we could hear the chants we'd just recorded live in the game. They certainly weren't playing it properly, hence the odd Ibra shuffle. Although the code we officially played on personal monitors did have some odd animations, it looked a lot better than what we're seeing here when played 'properly' - and minus the Terminator debug text, of course.

Can't wait for first 'official' in-game footage, to see how it's come on since the Tokyo trip.

Totally agree...

Gonna get technical here, because I can, and because I am qualified to do/say so.

As the average pixel area a player occupies is 64 x 64 pixels to 128 x 128 pixels, depending on Camera Angle, AND the game runs in 720p (ignoring a user's 1080p Plasma/LCD scaling it up) you are REALLY NOT GONNA NOTICE ALL 360 DEGREES. In Fact 32 angles means a shift of 2 - 4 pixels (max!) at a time - now do this at 30 to 60 frames per second and lets see if you would notice 32 angles vs 360 angles.

On a close up, meh... maybe noticable... but not overly so - even then (as I have stated in a prior post some other thread) each player is linked to a Master controller and that is rotationally "tweened" in code, with minor player posture/pose "tweens" to give the illusion of smooth transitions.

So if, for example, someone says FIFA'S 360 degree movement is better, tell them to sit on this (raises middle finder) and rotate 360 degrees.

By the way - I used to have an ex-3D lecturer that worked for EA tell me they used to be perplexed why Pro Evo used to consistently beat their FIFA (back in 2004, when I begun my studies) on a technical level... I told him "it just plays better" and shrugged my shoulders. If I saw him again, I would say "Ok, Ok, so you got the technical stuff down pat, but sorry mate - Pro Evo's still better"

Last edited:
Sorry for the double-post.

Dan, editor of PSM3, just posted this on WENB:
I wouldn't read too much into this gameplay video in terms of polish, odd animations etc - since it was merely being used as a 'placeholder' so we could hear the chants we'd just recorded live in the game. They certainly weren't playing it properly, hence the odd Ibra shuffle. Although the code we officially played on personal monitors did have some odd animations, it looked a lot better than what we're seeing here when played 'properly' - and minus the Terminator debug text, of course.

Can't wait for first 'official' in-game footage, to see how it's come on since the Tokyo trip.
Why is there every year so much confusion around PES?
Why is Konami so clumsy not to show their best playable code present?
Every year things go like this:
- we see a video
- we have critics about it
- after that, we hear we didn't see the best build.

Let's hope the end-result is not the same as previous years.
We really want the long awaited big improvent...

Why is there every year so much confusion around PES?
Why is Konami so clumsy not to show their best playable code present?
Every year things go like this:
- we see a video
- we have critics about it
- after that, we hear we didn't see the best build.

Let's hope the end-result is not the same as previous years.
We really want the long awaited big improvent...

Konami have improved with giving us news. But there is still that confusion with videos. It would make it easier if they officially released videos and then explained what it was trying to show. However anyone can tell the video so far is incomplete.

Back
Top Bottom