PES 2011 Discussion thread

What do you mean?

He means he wants as little HUD onscreen as possible. Which is the contentious issue with this rainbow bar - it's entirely possible to ignore the current power bar, simply by not looking at it. If the rainbow is right under your player then you can't avoid looking at it.

Guys dont jump on me for saying this because you know im a pes diehard and am currently enjoying we2010 blue samuri,but,isnt anyone a little concerned about the fact that the new defensive system hasnt even been implemented yet and the animations lack a smooth transition as well as a miriade of other small factors that add up to a job lot of work for konami to do in the next few months.

Havent we also heard this all before,how this is still being worked on and how the animation isnt complete and how that is yet to be finished and implemented fully.

Dont get me wrong,pes2011 sounds fantastic in print,the screenshots look good and the flexibility of the trick system and variable game speeds is also very welcome,however all these elements have got to come together and work in cohesion and this is where the real challenge for konami lies,balancing the game,which can take months even a year,and the game looks and sounds like its at a very early stage and a long way off from being at the finetuning stage.

Another thing thats got me a little suspicious is seabasses u-turn from last year were he stated fifas one on one gameplay really wasnt the essence of what football represented,when now hes saying its what pes2011 has and this is representitive of the modern game.

I hope im wrong because i want a true next gen pes but its one hell of a tall order because final code with flaws isnt going to wash for another year and im concerned theyve bitten off more then they can chew.

let us not forget konami arent in eas position in which ea have a very solid and fluent product that only needs a soul and a little bit more realism.

Last edited:
Why's it for kids? Playing online with people you know is just like playing offline with friends, bar the lag. I'd love playing you guys online and lag-free.

You have to differentiate between playing online against random people and playing online v people you know. Versus people you know is obviously good because you can be fair to one another and not just exploit the game.

The 'kids' comment was probably more so directed at the fact that the majority, or if not then a heck of a lot, of people who play games online are probably under the age of 18 or they act like it. So when you choose to play against a random opponent you get the delight of playing who will exploit weaknesses at the expense of good gameplay. You also need to take into account the wannabe gangster talkers or in COD that one guy who gets -15 KD who is basically the sole reason you lost.

I just find the online console communities horrible, everybody is all out for themselves and it usually makes the game a whole lot worse than it should be win or lose.

I imagine playing online games on high end PC's to be better because i guess they aren't as accessible to a lot of kids but i suppose you get a lot more elitists who will try to glitch. I still think PES would be much more fun to play online on PC than my xbox 360 though.

@Expander My friend you are absolutely right. This is also the concern of the whole community i believe. A solution for me would be to expand the production cycle until next summer but this isnt goig to happen as konami is a company and needs money. Its a difficult situation. They need more time to build the game properly and dont rush it. Lets be optimistic.....

I don't like how some have commented on how the new Penalty System will be.

Like some of you, I liked the 2010 PK system as it made you feel and think like a real Penalty Kick. (finally not based on luck/AI intervention, but based on the player's skill along with the footballer's stats)

Some have explained/compared the new PK system to the old Basketball Free-Throw system that is ABANDONED by all basketball games now in that cross and getting it at the sweet-spot. I will keep my final judgments on it to myself until i see pics/videos of it, but from what I know now, I'm very sketchy about how good it will be...

Expander - I wouldn't worry too much. As I said earlier, if it's what I think it is then it's nothing new to football games, so it shouldn't be hard to put in from a technological standpoint. It's chiefly down to getting the balancing right.

I think the 1v1 comment Seabass made last year was about challenging for headers at corners etc. IIRC he has always wanted to try and represent the battle between a dribbler and a defender, which is what this defending business is supposed to represent.

@Expander My friend you are absolutely right. This is also the concern of the whole community i believe. A solution for me would be to expand the production cycle until next summer but this isnt goig to happen as konami is a company and needs money. Its a difficult situation. They need more time to build the game properly and dont rush it. Lets be optimistic.....

Your so right about releasing it next summer and getting it perfect as this is so evident in we2010 blue samuri,which is
so much more finetuned and balanced then pes2010,those extra months make a subtle yet very noticable difference.

Romagnoli
I think the 1v1 comment Seabass made last year was about challenging for headers at corners etc. IIRC he has always wanted to try and represent the battle between a dribbler and a defender, which is what this defending business is supposed to represent.

Response
Im all for it but its got to work perfectly and not be querky and accentric,because i want more then anything precise and subtle defensive control of my back line and there feet and body position,not blocky movement and scissor,paper,stone dynamics.Fifas got it and Iss/perfect striker had it and ive missed it for 10 years now,being such a important element in football games.

Last edited:
The 1 on 1 comment seabass made was in reference to the striker amd the goalkeeper.
All in all I am content with the news and screens we saw today. Expecting a complete bug free game this early in the year is crazy.

Negatives for me:
- The trick system must not be too easy
- Not enough is mentioned about the AI all the improvements concerning 3 defensive styles and passing into space means nothing if the COM doesn't attack and force you to improvise.

Positives:
Everything else. Konami know what is needed and intend on maintaining the PES feel.

If there is one thing that I miss on PES next gen is the need to approach teams differently. In PES5 I had to change formations and playing styles for the opposition. Since PES 2008 I could keep one formation for a team throughout a league or ML campaign no matter who the opposition were.

The 1 on 1 comment seabass made was in reference to the striker amd the goalkeeper.
All in all I am content with the news and screens we saw today. Expecting a complete bug free game this early in the year is crazy.

Negatives for me:
- Not enough is mentioned about the AI all the improvements concerning 3 defensive styles and passing into space means nothing if the COM doesn't attack and force you to improvise.

Positives:
Everything else. Konami know what is needed and intend on maintaining the PES feel.

If there is one thing that I miss on PES next gen is the need to approach teams differently. In PES5 I had to change formations and playing styles for the opposition. Since PES 2008 I could keep one formation for a team throughout a league or ML campaign no matter who the opposition were.

A very valid and well made point and agree its unrealistic to expect a perfect game in may.Although from experience balancing a game is what makes or breaks it and theres still a big question mark over this.Theres very little doubt they cant do as there track record of 20 years speaks for itself,however it all comes down to development cycles and cut off points,its no good having something that looks like a live broadcast,moves well and is full of innovative ideas if these are mard by technical shortcomings and lack of finetuning.

Developing a game is like making a cake,you can have all the right ingredients but it all comes down to the point in which you pull it out of the oven,pulling it out to early means its half baked leaving the finished product a bit flat and lacking a lingering after taste.

Im still very optimistic though what choice do we have.:))

All im saying is maintain a healthy level of expectation,hell,if my daughter and wife call my name one more time only to find im up on the computer checkng for pes2011 news and reading other peoples posts for another year waiting for the dream ive had for years now to cement into reality i think are take up knitting or go to the bank manager for the funding to develope my own football game.

Last edited:
You have to differentiate between playing online against random people and playing online v people you know. Versus people you know is obviously good because you can be fair to one another and not just exploit the game.

The 'kids' comment was probably more so directed at the fact that the majority, or if not then a heck of a lot, of people who play games online are probably under the age of 18 or they act like it. So when you choose to play against a random opponent you get the delight of playing who will exploit weaknesses at the expense of good gameplay. You also need to take into account the wannabe gangster talkers or in COD that one guy who gets -15 KD who is basically the sole reason you lost.

I just find the online console communities horrible, everybody is all out for themselves and it usually makes the game a whole lot worse than it should be win or lose.

I imagine playing online games on high end PC's to be better because i guess they aren't as accessible to a lot of kids but i suppose you get a lot more elitists who will try to glitch. I still think PES would be much more fun to play online on PC than my xbox 360 though.
spot on, there are less kids in pc games then on consoles. have ANY of you lot played PES on pc? a proper joy to play online. hardly any kids

spot on, there are less kids in pc games then on consoles. have ANY of you lot played PES on pc? a proper joy to play online. hardly any kids

I prefer the pc crowd but again nothing beats seeing the look on your mates face when you score that screamer or his effort skids wide only for you to go down the other end and tuck it away.Friendships are forged and lost on the virtual pitch.

PSM3: What is it that you think that will separate PES 2010 and FIFA 10 this year?

Seabass: I went down to the EA booth and played FIFA 10 and it's a good game. However, if you look at the defending for example, there were a lot of instances where the ball carrier ended up one-on-one with the defender and this is something that does not work well with the way real football is played. Our goal this year with PES 2010 was to make the defending side of things actually feel like the defenders are keeping their shape and working as a team. In PES 2010 we have gone for the 'Zone defending' style so its not one to one if you defend or attack. When you are defending you don't always have to attack the ball carrier and its sometimes better to delay the ball carrier as much as possible so that your midfield players can get the tackles in and we feel this is a more realistic approach.

Hmm.. He actually says ball carrier..

Guys dont jump on me for saying this because you know im a pes diehard and am currently enjoying we2010 blue samuri,but,isnt anyone a little concerned about the fact that the new defensive system hasnt even been implemented yet and the animations lack a smooth transition as well as a miriade of other small factors that add up to a job lot of work for konami to do in the next few months.

Havent we also heard this all before,how this is still being worked on and how the animation isnt complete and how that is yet to be finished and implemented fully.

Dont get me wrong,pes2011 sounds fantastic in print,the screenshots look good and the flexibility of the trick system and variable game speeds is also very welcome,however all these elements have got to come together and work in cohesion and this is where the real challenge for konami lies,balancing the game,which can take months even a year,and the game looks and sounds like its at a very early stage and a long way off from being at the finetuning stage.

Another thing thats got me a little suspicious is seabasses u-turn from last year were he stated fifas one on one gameplay really wasnt the essence of what football represented,when now hes saying its what pes2011 has and this is representitive of the modern game.

I hope im wrong because i want a true next gen pes but its one hell of a tall order because final code with flaws isnt going to wash for another year and im concerned theyve bitten off more then they can chew.

let us not forget konami arent in eas position in which ea have a very solid and fluent product that only needs a soul and a little bit more realism.

déjà vu - same here.

Of course, there is no time to properly implement the mentioned changes (max 3 months left - considering a late Sept, early Oct release date)

Last year Konami focused on animations and fan feedback and you could see the results..

Based on the pics and the limited gameplay videos, this is not a completely new engine, it's a tweaked engine of the flawed next gen engine..

no proper animations / transitions, not proper defensive AI, stupid keepers, lost licenses, excited ADAM, banned opinions, early build talk, response issues, fishnets... the nightmare continues..

This in the 4th year in a row..

Hope I'm wrong though..

I always was disappointed at the first pes news during last 3 years and always was right..

:YAWN:

Wait, wait, wait , wait

Hold on a secound. Why are people moaning about PES 2011 animations already? I dunno about you all but i havn't seen some CLEAR gameplay, just a few secounds of replays from two goals! How can people be so pessimistic about that? What? Calm down, seriously. I know we ave opinions but this seems either highy apprehensive or just being negative for the sake that.

1. We were expecting 4-5 videos of good footage instead we reviced some diary crap which should barley anything.

2. Lots of new, and previews with pre alpha screenshots but nothing to reassure us about gameplay.

BTW last year Konami focused on trying to make the game a simulation again from refurbishing the arcade like system it had in place.

From the little i've seen i'm positive about PES 2011 it should meet the expectations of the animations being suitable and fluid like for all PS3 games. But in now way i'm excited or in no way i'm negative about anything because i've seen very little.

Also the whole issue about the ai etc.. If Konami said the game was nearly finished almost going back two months ago i would very much assume they were showing the build from i'd say january-feburary (when Joe Murphy had played that early code).

Based on the pics and the limited gameplay videos, this is not a completely new engine, it's a tweaked engine of the flawed next gen engine..

no proper animations / transitions

I'm quite surprised how you have seen all that and can reach that conclusion based on pics and limited gameplay videos. Can I have your eyes Mr.?

Negatives for me:

Positives:

I think on the psm3 podcast he said you could contain tricks by pressing x and backwards to jockey or back off, while they do tricks in front of u but to know effect.

But I also hope the computer does not fall for them all the time. At least online or against mates we have different ways of defending, rather than just going towards the ball.

Once again, why did you expect videos?

Am i the only person who didn't hear anything about them or was everyone just hoping for too much.

Also the whole issue about the ai etc.. If Konami said the game was nearly finished almost going back two months ago i would very much assume they were showing the build from i'd say january-feburary (when Joe Murphy had played that early code).

Whoooa there. This is almost definitely off the mark. Late March at the soonest. Remember the point was that they wanted the press members to be able to give them feedback to work into the game - they wouldn't be playing something up to 12 weeks old to do so. Besides which the video we've seen was playing on one of the dev's machines. That could well have still been the press build to avoid accidentally spilling any beans, but it's unlikely to have been stuff from Jan/Feb.

There are some positives.. the GUI looks way better for example, and this:

http://cdn.medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_232233.jpg

If that's how it'll look from whatever camera that is then I'm sold. The players finally look like real football players, and the shadows are excellent.

yeah. one of the impressions said it was one of the best camera's in a sports game, think it was the Spanish or French impressions. Its the new broadcast view and its dynamic. Im looking forward to testing it.

Back
Top Bottom