PES 2011 Discussion thread

What happened to Messi's right arm?
2010531203943_3.jpg

Last edited:
I'm reasonably satisfied with what I have seen, and to be honest there's really not much to see of what matters - gameplay. I need to see some decent gameplay footage to be convinced that Konami will deliver on their promises. Sadly for Konami it's yet another case of a much-hyped press release that raises more questions than answers.

The game looks lovely - a noticeable, if ever so slight upgrade on last year - but then PES has little to prove in the graphics department. The gameplay looks smoother and more fluid from the little that was shown in the video, but difficult to tell. My main problem with PES2010 was not the animations themselves but the transitions between them which made the game feel so stiff and jerky. If Konami sort this out and add in loads of mo-cap then I'm sure the game will move really nicely.

Interesting bit from the IGN article.

Supplanting the 'hold X to press a player' in 2010's game are three new defensive methods. Hold X now and direct the stick towards the ball carrier, and you'll actively make a play for the ball; hold X without stick input and your player will close in to the ball carrier and stick his foot in only if the attacker stops. But the most controversial is the third option – hold X and push the stick toward your own goal. This has the effect of making your defender 'stick' to the ball carrier, even matching him for pace, so you don't need to hold down the R1 sprint button, effectively hampering his forward progress and holding him up.

No more automatic pressure it seems? Which is good. :)

I take the third method, is probably the defensive pressure that will concede a foul play outside the box. Well, I'm sure they've made it so you can get away with it a few times.

By the looks of Messi's arm, he's twisted his hand so his palm is facing up... and he's pulling his elbow into himself as much as possible.

Do I get to ask a question now?

So where's the flood of videos and content we were promised?

I couldn't give a rats about impressions and opinions, after all that's all they are. Where's the hard evidence or sneak peak videos? I want to see a demonstration of the improvements, or at least show us the game moving. The one video that is up has about 1 minute of footage and is mainly technical demonstrations. You can hardly judge anything from that.

Defending with the stick pressed to your own goals. It sounds like ign had a hard time getting used to that one. But on paper to me it sounds very simple and doesn't sound like it would be hard to get used to. If the attacker is running at your goals then you're going to want to press the directional stick towards your own goals anyway to run back to get ahead of the attacker to either block a shot, force him into passing or trying to run around you or to tackle him. So holding X at the same time to lock onto him doesn't seem to me like anything strange.

Do you think that maybe these ign guys were too used to rushing forward at attackers with X held so they could auto tackle them rather than having to back away like real defenders do and pressure them.

Playing 2011 surely needs time getting used to. New controls are being addressed that we haven't seen before.

I need ML and online news..

So where's the flood of videos and content we were promised?

I couldn't give a rats about impressions and opinions, after all that's all they are. Where's the hard evidence or sneak peak videos? I want to see a demonstration of the improvements, or at least show us the game moving. The one video that is up has about 1 minute of footage and is mainly technical demonstrations. You can hardly judge anything from that.

I quite agree. The media's impressions/reviews of PES and Fifa have been inconsistent at best for the last few years. I really think Konami should be releasing more 'official' trailers like EA does explaining new features and how the game has changed.

In fact I think the most useful piece of info is the image detailing the new controls, as that actually gives me some idea of how the game has changed. I like the fact that there is a manual modifier button so that manual passes can be used as and when, or not at all.

The potential problem with X+back to goal is chiefly one where you press it to track back but end up regaining possession as you start to press it. It's the accidental pass issue but focussed towards your own goal. The only true solution is tomove pressure to a different button rather than sharing with short pass.

The potential problem with X+back to goal is chiefly one where you press it to track back but end up regaining possession as you start to press it. It's the accidental pass issue but focussed towards your own goal. The only true solution is tomove pressure to a different button rather than sharing with short pass.

So like back and L1? (does L1 do anything when you are defending?) so L1 locks you onto them and the stick directs you back, then you can jab X to tackle when you feel the time is right.

IGN AU: IGN: Please explain more about the online league in the game – will you be able to play 10 vs 10, or with two players at home on the same console VS others online, for example?

Shingo Takatsuka: The online play is basically the Master League, so it's 1 on 1. It will be possible to have multiple players playing online in a different game mode, but we'll address that later. You won't be able to play local multiplayer, no (that is, no split screen multiplayer for a couple of friends in one house).
Sorce : http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/109/1093779p1.html co-op pls.. co-op !! :( shame on you Konami.. we are 2010 and they still can't make online with more that 1 on 1 or 2 on 2..

Last edited:
The blur part is post-edited. If you look at Messi's blurred foot(the one lifted off the ground), you'll realize that.

I'm sure the blur is just to display the fact that Messi's dribbling the ball at a high speed.

The blur part is post-edited. If you look at Messi's blurred foot(the one lifted off the ground), you'll realize that.

I'm sure the blur is just to display the fact that Messi's dribbling the ball at a high speed.
I read the blur is a new ingame effect for replays, so it's not post edited.

- One of the best camera systems we've seen in a sports game. Sounds a bit like a majorly reworked dynamic which moves around with the action on screen.

Do they have a Camera that stays still in 2011... I hate the camera floating over my full backs after i've made a pass. Just looks crap.

They said the replays have motion blur added (the screenshots), it's not activated while playing.

Would love to see a video that demonstrate the new defence mechanics.

Last edited:
After reading the Eurogamer aticle I am a bit concerned about this one:
"For unique players like Messi, R1 dash dribble has changed dramatically in PES 2011," he explains. "He is now able to go in any direction; you can also see small touches just like real life. It's never been implemented well in our games before. Now it's properly reproduced."

Does this mean that only unique players are able to dash-dribble 360 degrees direction?

What about normal dribbling? Is 360 degrees direction possible that way?

After reading the Eurogamer aticle I am a bit concerned about this one:

Does this mean that only unique players are able to dash-dribble 360 degrees direction?

What about normal dribbling? Is 360 degrees direction possible that way?

i think maybe they can change directions quicker than everyone else and have a tighter degree of responsivness

Dare I say, did the graphics actually get worse? Or, at most, they're pretty much identical to PES 2010.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...o-evolution-soccer-2011-20100531054309087.jpg

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360...o-evolution-soccer-2011-20100531054238572.jpg

And what's up with all the blurriness?

And what's wrong with 2010's graphics? They're the best in the series. And I think one of the best, if not the best in sports games.

The graphical update was in 2010. 2011 needed concentration on different aspects.

true the graphics dont really concern me i hope they get the rest of the game right plus i don't think they have put all the filters on yet

adam (wenb) is a twat

Maybe he's over-reacting, maybe he's doing things the wrong way, maybe you're a wind up merchant, but what we know is that this thread is for discussing Pro Evolution Soccer, not dissing other forums and its members.

If you have a problem with them then stay out of there, send him a PM, take it outside even I couldn't care less. This comment in this thread however is irrelevant.

I won't say this a thousand times any more. From now on don't blame me if I start showing the ugly cards.

Keep it on topic.

Although graphics seem to be less "perfect", the lightening is beautiful, textures look fantastic, and something else (which I didn't expected at all) seems to be spot on. COLOURS. Grass looks beautiful. Have nothing to complain about how it looks right now.

My main concern is with the pass-bar accumulating, so that when the receiver gets the ball he passes it immediately once again. This was in Penpas' article, and brings back memories of WE6FE, or WE7LE (not sure which had this problem...).

Asides from that, I'm cautiously fine with all the news. Let's see how the controls shape up.

The feints in the right-stick being mapped/pre-set seem a bit limitative, and having to press L2 to make an auto-pass might be uncomfortable - after all, you're already doing a precision movement with the left-stick. Having to then press a button with the same hand will probably move the finger.

Let's see how everything turns up!

Regards,

Paulo Tavares

Really liking the look of this game, seems to me like pes has looked at FIFA (in the sense of freedom of running) and applied this, liking the blurry images..all adds to the fast pace of sport.

Things are brewing up, be interesting to see what FIFA pulls out of this years hat..

Keeping my fingers crossed..
(not for FIFA..lol)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom