PES 2011 Discussion thread

This is really bad. The central defender runs randomly towards the fullback who doesn't do anything. In addition the animation before van persie kick is broken just like in pes 2010, you can see there is no smooth transition animation. These things are really worrying.

Didn't seem broken to me, it was ok. Also the keepers looked 'normal' compared to 'robotic' like with PES 2010.

The aim is for keepers to be solid! I don't think any football game has had 'good' keepers. In the PS2 days Keepers were very underwhelming and were not to be relied on. In the current gen they are broken but I'd say the game gets away with it since the keeper has these 'broken' moments randomly rather than being predictable!

i hated pes 2008 and 2009
not pes 2010, because it was a good step in the right direction
and i am hardcore pes gamer
played pes since winning eleven 4

why didnt pesfan mention the numbers of kit pngs,team emblems,new teams and number of stadiums to create

thats a half arsed preview of edit mode if theres no hard facts from it

Well GG the import feature is probably the greatest thing :BOP:

You and Chimps :WORSHIP: could now finish that promised WC update, If you add transfers we will be ready from day 1 - the only thing left would be stadia.

Konami (if all that was reported is fact) now need to make this the base for editing and just improve. Hopefully they will drop the non transfer of OF between the sku's.

Demo time and then we all can decide for sure - really sick and tired of the over-analysis of each snippet of video :TTTH:

Didn't seem broken to me, it was ok. Also the keepers looked 'normal' compared to 'robotic' like with PES 2010.

The aim is for keepers to be solid! I don't think any football game has had 'good' keepers. In the PS2 days Keepers were very underwhelming and were not to be relied on. In the current gen they are broken but I'd say the game gets away with it since the keeper has these 'broken' moments randomly rather than being predictable!

I didn't mention goalkpeers. I said central defender and full back are really bad in that vid and the shooting animations is not good, if u watch the replay you can see that the animation disappears. They still haven't fixed those transition animations. I don't see why anyone would release a video with such a poor AI set on 1 star. It does not tell anything about the game.

Oh i'll get my coat since i liked PES 2010 even though it was average :) :COAT:

Ok, I hated 2010 (response issues being my main grip). Just talking generally, what I meant is, 90% of the people consider the 3 games poor, not up to the standards. Previews seem to report the "joy of pes" is back. I point out especially the PESGaming preview, they have been especially critical this gen, and DD sounds genuinely happy with PES 2011.

I just need gameplay to be really PES again without anything game-breaking to it, and I'll love PES again.

Guys, I'm very happy to say I'm picking up PES2011 after years of FIFA (since I jumped ship in 06/07). The game just looks plain fun again. It has that look of PES6. I was very cautiously approaching this year's comments as last year Adam (WENB) was saying the same things (that he could finally put his PES6 copy in the draw). Seeing these vids just re-affirms my view that the game is on the right track. It's basically the game that should have been released after PES6 for next gen (back then) consoles.

Sure, the angle of foot-placement on the cross may defy the angle the ball travels. Sure, a header won't connect as realistically at times. Sure, there are a few iffy goalkeeper moments, but it's PES. These have never been game-breaking issues. The real game-breaking issue in PES last year was the (lack of) button response. The game relies or quick and instinctive moves. Windows of oppertunity open up with certain runs so you need to be able to hit the pass off quickly.

I only ask that they refine the other issues the best they can. The only thing i'd like them to really improve is running off the ball (this applies to both games actually). I'd like this to be attribute & trait based too. I don't want to have the ball with Wesley Sneijder for 10minutes before Milito makes a decent run etc etc. When a good passer gets on the ball in real life the strikers and midfield light up. They light up at the possibility of a decent pass coming their way. I'd like this better replicated in videogame form.

Anyways, PES is looking shit-hot in my humble opinion. Will get.

I am in the klashman69 Ampee boat - though I started from PES5

- what is a true hardcore PES fan anyway - I think we are mostly fooball fans, if another company was to bring out an uber football sim with all the features we would jump ship in a heartbeat. The reason we stick with Konami is because most of us think that despite missteps here and there, their representation of the game is "purer"

I will be honest, I will wait to rent the game first. Being new to pes but playing football games since striker, italia 90 I am really about the game play.

What I find the problem is that FIFA glosses over it's game play failings with slicker execution of the look and feel of the gameplay. With pes it appears to play just as well but falls a little short uncovering up some of the flaws like animation transition or collision physics.

Is there any word on what konami are doing to improve and refine the online experience?

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, I'm very happy to say I'm picking up PES2011 after years of FIFA (since I jumped ship in 06/07). The game just looks plain fun again. It has that look of PES6. I was very cautiously approaching this year's comments as last year Adam (WENB) was saying the same things (that he could finally put his PES6 copy in the draw). Seeing these vids just re-affirms my view that the game is on the right track. It's basically the game that should have been released after PES6 for next gen (back then) consoles.

Sure, the angle of foot-placement on the cross may defy the angle the ball travels. Sure, a header won't connect as realistically at times. Sure, there are a few iffy goalkeeper moments, but it's PES. These have never been game-breaking issues. The real game-breaking issue in PES last year was the (lack of) button response. The game relies or quick and instinctive moves. Windows of oppertunity open up with certain runs so you need to be able to hit the pass off quickly.

I only ask that they refine the other issues the best they can. The only thing i'd like them to really improve is running off the ball (this applies to both games actually). I'd like this to be attribute & trait based too. I don't want to have the ball with Wesley Sneijder for 10minutes before Milito makes a decent run etc etc. When a good passer gets on the ball in real life the strikers and midfield light up. They light up at the possibility of a decent pass coming their way. I'd like this better replicated in videogame form.

Anyways, PES is looking shit-hot in my humble opinion. Will get.

Never a truer word spoken. The game looks like a great deal of fun. That's what will keep me playing it, not the animations or physics engine, hence why Fifa doesn't generally last me that long before I lose interest.

I didn't mention goalkpeers. I said central defender and full back are really bad in that vid and the shooting animations is not good, if u watch the replay you can see that the animation disappears. They still haven't fixed those transition animations. I don't see why anyone would release a video with such a poor AI set on 1 star. It does not tell anything about the game.

I get the impression that Konami don't realise how much worse it looks.

I really hope the AI is good this year. Regardless of every single issue with last years game the biggest problem for me was how easy the game was on the highest difficulty. I still don't see the difference between the first three difficulty levels.

I am in the klashman69 Ampee boat - though I started from PES5

- what is a true hardcore PES fan anyway - I think we are mostly fooball fans, if another company was to bring out an uber football sim with all the features we would jump ship in a heartbeat. The reason we stick with Konami is because most of us think that despite missteps here and there, their representation of the game is "purer"

We are football fans, but it's a question of feeling, or representation like you say. I honestly believe that Fifa will never feel like PES, vice-versa. Some people may not agree with me (but that's why I consider myself a "true hardcore PES fan", you can call me fanboy if you like) but I think that a good PES, is better than a great FIFA.

Until you play the demo most of the speculation here is trite and nonsensical.

Some points really need to be hammered home before people seem to understand.

It would help Konami though if they provided gameplay videos on high difficulty as well.

Watching it looks very different from 2010 though. I just can't pass any kind of judgment on it yet. I need to play the demo. I need to feel the gameplay.

Can't say I agree with trite or nonsensical. Konami put the video out for pr, hype and feedback.

What else is everyone to do? Again it's part and parcel of making and marketing a game. And to be fair most of what I have read has been fair and balanced and personal opinion.

Now if there is some unspoken rule of watch but don't comment till the demo is out then my bad.

Can't say I agree with trite or nonsensical. Konami put the video out for pr, hype and feedback.

What else is everyone to do? Again it's part and parcel of making and marketing a game. And to be fair most of what I have read has been fair and balanced and personal opinion.

Now if there is some unspoken rule of watch but don't comment till the demo is out then my bad.

With that I can agree. This video was a bad call, playing on low difficulty, with D-pad, and allowing a bad goalkeeper decision to be shown on an official video. Konami not good not even for themselves.

Not making an excuse for Konami but AI is crappy on most sports games with the CPU just blatantly cheating or having inflated attributes on higher difficulties.

I think 2k does a decent job with NBA

@ Gameklip - spot on assessment, I remember playing PES and just having scored a great goal - when you do the replay some of the excitement is lost due to the animation flaws but it doesnt detract from that in the moment joy, thats why you play and play and overlook some of the rough edges.

I've watched the video on my TV on max fps and I LOVED most of it, but there are some things which are bugging me like hell:

1. There was no penalty
2. The ball floats like a duck tape boat, the overall physics of the ball is messed up and most of the time the balls is changing its path towards the player, not the other way around.
3. The defense seems to be very ineffective
4. I din't like the way the keeper run towards the ball, when Danny scored. The keeper should have better been still or make somekind of a save, but not run like a dog chasing a cat and of course this might be caused from the difficulty settings which were present in the preview code, but we will know when the demo hits thats for sure.

I think the problem comes when people take it as fact when the underlying factors (gamespeed, difficulty, user input) maybe at play. Then they run with the snippet as how the whole game experience will play out.

To me this is how some quickly praise FIFA and then a few weeks down the line cant stand it. It was the same issue with PES 2009, the first moment seemed very good, even a once or twice through the demo but then you saw the game was rubbish.

I think you can listen to your trusted reviewer who have extensively tested or once you yourself has killed the demo.

I think the biggest mistake KONAMI are making is listening to the fans, or should i say the wrong fans and don't get me wrong because i say this because some don't know what they want and some don't know the basics that are needed to make a good football game most of which u pointed out.
this is the reason for the new feints system the fantastic graphics,sliders etc.
they are moving away from the basics and that is killing the gameplay and if they keep this up another company just might catch up.
i like the graphics believe me and new features are always a bonus but at what cost.

the time and effort that is being put in some things which don't add much to the gameplay should be adressed when that is out of the way.

fans complaining about nets,tucked ,untucked shirts,tatoos etc don't have a clue why we all fell in love with this game in the first place.

if you ask me KONAMI should work very closely with pro or ex pro football players to try and make the perfect football simulation,talk to defenders,midfielders and forwards about what they like and dislike about the game or engine what could be better and what should stay as it is.

KONAMI isn't that far of the mark or wasn't untill the next gen started giving us issues we weren't used to.
even looking at animations and response times PES 2008 had its issues but those weren't as bad as what followed.
someone needs to point KONAMI IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION cause if you ask me they are spending too much time on FIFA fan sites.

To be fair, I think they do an extremely good job of capturing the magic as it is. It's always mystified me as to how they manage to capture the essence and technique so well, you would think Seabass had played at a decent level himself. Very clever stuff, with the best of it being what alot of people miss.

Last edited:
Taken from this preview:
"During game play whilst playing I didn’t notice the animations all that much. By that I mean that I was concentrating on moving the ball about and working players into positions to receive the ball."

I think this pretty much sums why there isn't much talk about animation in the previews, these guys are playing the game, we are watching videos and able to scrutinize the animation without having to focus on anything else. Even the WENB guys said that the animations were still not on FIFA's level, I don't think they will be a talking point once we get our hands on the game ourselves.

:WORSHIP::WORSHIP::EASY::EASY:
ex-freakin-actly You cannot judge the quality of a videogame from a video. Be it Fifa, PES, COD, Killzone, LBP you name it. We aren't talking movies here we are talking an interactive football game

I can't believe Konami allowed tricks to be carried out by everyone :BRICK::PUKE:

I also can't believe how this thread has gone south over the last few pages, well done Lami for bringing it back to an acceptable level, but it seems people were sharpening their daggers before the video was released and unleashed once it was up scrutinising the last detail which is just bloody sad man.
I would not expect PES to win the masses over with a video, It's going to be a good few days with the game and a good online mode to turn their so-called fans back.

Last edited:
I don't know if the nets will change for PES 2011. I was at Gamescom last year for PES 2010 and the nets on that version was not the same as in the full game. I'll give you an example:

Full version PES 2010

net2010.jpg

Gamescom version PES 2010

netgamescom.jpg

In my opinion is the Gamescom version far better. I hope Konami will notice this too.

PS: Sorry for moaning about the nets :EMB:

Last edited:
If you don't know what really "engine" mean please stop write bullshit.

Amiga kid ... I know much more about gaming that your "bullshit" head thinks I know...

The Game Engine that the game uses IS THE SAME from 2008.
If u see the past Pes Games , the changed it every Fcukin 3 years .
So just dont try to tell us , that u know more...cause u dont...thats for sure.

With same game engine this game will have the same results as 2010.

To be fair, I think they do an extremely good job of capturing the magic as it is. It's always mystified me as to how they manage to capture the essence and technique so well, you would think Seabass had played at a decent level himself. Very clever stuff, with the best of it being what alot of people miss.

true,true, a lot of the fantastic things it captures so great go unnoticed to some and aren't usually mentioned, but the small problems are being highlighted.

I think the problem comes when people take it as fact when the underlying factors (gamespeed, difficulty, user input) maybe at play. Then they run with the snippet as how the whole game experience will play out.

To me this is how some quickly praise FIFA and then a few weeks down the line cant stand it. It was the same issue with PES 2009, the first moment seemed very good, even a once or twice through the demo but then you saw the game was rubbish.

I think you can listen to your trusted reviewer who have extensively tested or once you yourself has killed the demo.

As a "trusted" reviewer for the other game, it's a tight rope to be a reviewer, play early code, be positive and critical.

The fact remains that expectations differ and post launch people will always find issues.

Back
Top Bottom