PES 2011 Discussion thread

I thought it looked excellent, watched it twice and picked up something different each time, when the guy speeded up the gameplay to +2 it looked too fast but the positive to that was seeing the close control of Messi even when sprinting, also on normal speed linking the skills for his run on goal looked very authentic, obviously it didn't look like he was on a high difficulty though but the individuality looked spot on.

Only thing I didn't like was Ozil's goal, he was looking away from the ball seemingly where he should have been facing it and backing away to stretch for the ball, same with the header in the link up to the Klose chance on goal, it didn't look like he was looking at the ball and it looked a little unnatural the heading movement.

Otherwise though I am extremely optimistic.

Van Bommel at the start of the video hahaha.Bad animations and incredibly poor defending AI, leaving too much space.The audio isn't great
However graphically it looks stunning

Its clearly on a low difficulty. Look for little touches, nice volley animation, look at Danny adjust on the reply to take the through ball through the gap. These touches are what were so prevalent on the ps2. Its not in your face animation but its realistic. And the graphics even on youtube are good. Atmosphere is improved from pes 2010, commentary will add to this.

It's all very encouraging. This isn't going to be perfect but it looks how I envisaged PES would on next-gen. There's some lovely little touches and animations in there. National anthem is very atmospheric. All looking good.

Another new Stadium in that video, too.

Its clearly on a low difficulty. Look for little touches, nice volley animation, look at Danny adjust on the reply to take the through ball through the gap. These touches are what were so prevalent on the ps2. Its not in your face animation but its realistic. And the graphics even on youtube are good. Atmosphere is improved from pes 2010, commentary will add to this.

You're right there are some nice animations.About Danny, I preferred the way Liedson slowed down, turned on the side and made the pass.I'm just tired of seeing so many old animations (psx old) but at least it's heading towards the right direction.
Atmosphere is improved ? I can't notice it from that video as there is something fundamentally wrong with the audio, it doesn't sound as closely good as the chants packs.
Graphically though, it looks outstanding

The tactics stuff looks incredible - though I still find the "at the 5th minute - start playing like this" a bit spurious. The commentary, BGM, SFX on the menus, and SFX in the game are pretty poor. Graphics are great except the faces which look very flat - and some of the camera work in the cutscenes is a bit strange too almost like modern news. Hello and welcome to Sky [change camera] news - the head [change camera] lines today... :P

Defensive AI was giving me FIFA10 type nightmares. 360 dribbling still seems to not quite be there? Players still seem to be drawn to the old 8 directions more often than not. Animations are definitely, definitely getting there but still not at the level of the other game. Not a fan of the trick system at all.

Very good - but is the king back? Well Kaz Hirai who at the time was one of the very top guys in Sony Computer Entertainment (and is now higher still) made a comment regarding the next generation of gaming (this generation). He said that the generation starts when they say it did - and I think the same applies here. No coronation sessions just yet.

Looked nice, liked the presentation and screens(apart from the pointer noises)..
Sound was poor though the crowd reactions to shots off bars and attacking moves were non existent, as it's still early I hope that will be improved on but I still don't like the trick linking...

The grass looks too green. The animations look like a robot, the shirts are too long, erm..... There's too many people in the stadium, erm.... Ozil uses different hair-gel to that, erm.... the referee is too short, how is he supposed to see ? Erm..... someone is taking a dump on the pitch, erm... which is also too big......erm...... blah, blah, fucking blah.

Apart from that, nice find Jamez. :)

Though I would have to break my speakers because of those SFX noises :P (Konami always get that bit wrong - I'd prefer silence, or even, dare I say it, FIFA whooshes.)

Silly little point but look after Ozil scores, he points to Mueller (I think) and runs to celebrate with him for crossing the ball.

No damn robot here!

the team formation screen (post anthems) is wrong, it seems (formation and some players). I remember that in a previous PES, so it probably won't be fixed. Not amazingly important i know, just an observation.

Messi looks pretty, er, good :CONFUSE:

Last edited:
Just to add to this again, watch Klose head the ball to Ozil then first thing in his mind is to sprint forward, then also look at the first time chipped ball forward fro Ozil after he chests the ball, pretty sure because of response times and slack animation that was not possible in '10.

At the same time - the AI on that little segment seems shocking. As long as that isn't the case on anything but the easiest difficulty it's OK I suppose but the defenders are reacting like utter muppets.

At the same time - the AI on that little segment seems shocking. As long as that isn't the case on anything but the easiest difficulty it's OK I suppose but the defenders are reacting like utter muppets.

I agree, think the dutch journo who made the vid has only had the code 2 days and it isn't on a high level, will ask him on twitteroo.

I'm slightly underwhelmed to be honest (with the video), think perhaps I was expecting too much of a change based on the previews and the previous videos, kind of had a vision of something a lot freer. That being said, I was still happy with PES2010 except the response issues, so still looking forward to this.

Tactics screen looks amazing, looks almost FM-like, so that's all good (Click and move - Genius! why hasn't it been done before?!).

Audio sounds screwed, might be the upload though, crowd drowns out the commentary at the beginning for example and the penalty kick goal reaction was strange, work to be done there.

Özil looks spot on, drifting about, seems to have his own dribbling animation too. Speaking of animations, I don't like that toe-poke pass. Also, dare I say it the passes and cross leading up to his goal seemed a little bit... floaty :SHOCK:.

I don't really understand the tricks, seems a step away from the PES philosophy. Is it preset tricks for players or preset tricks for the whole team? Wouldn't say it's game breaking or anything, I'd barely use them anyway, except with players like Ronaldo of course. I would probably setup the presets based on his skills for that particular game.

All that said, it appears to be a definite improvement on PES2010, so all good.

(On another note, Konami have now released 3 gameplay videos before EA have released 1, have they swapped marketing teams?)

Last edited:
The gameplay looks much improved - but the menu system is pretty horrid if you ask me! Still a horrible lack of atmosphere too

I'm slightly underwhelmed to be honest (with the video), think perhaps I was expecting too much of a change based on the previews and the previous videos, kind of had a vision of something a lot freer. That being said, I was still happy with PES2010 except the response issues, so still looking forward to this.

Tactics screen looks amazing, looks almost FM-like, so that's all good (Click and move - Genius!, why hasn't it been done before?!).

Audio sounds screwed, might be the upload though, crowd drowns out the commentary at the beginning for example and the penalty kick goal reaction was strange, work to be done there.

Özil looks spot on, drifting about, seems to have his own dribbling animation too. Speaking of animations, I don't like that toe-poke pass. Also, dare I say it the passes and cross leading up to his goal seemed a little bit... floaty :SHOCK:.

I don't really understand the tricks, seems a step away from the PES philosophy. Is it preset tricks for players or preset tricks for the whole team? Wouldn't say it's game breaking or anything, I'd barely use them anyway, except with players like Ronaldo of course. I would probably setup the presets based on his skills for that particular game.

All that said, it appears to be a definite improvement on PES2010, so all good.

The ball physics look lighter, but id take that over the medicine ball in 2010.

As a side note, the option confirmation sound (i.e. the sound it make when you press :x: to select from the menu) is absolutely GORGEOUS! Reminds me of those long nights in 2001 spent playing hour after hour of the original PES. :D

I don't know.. the animations.. are .. not that what was in first teaser ! Again players moved like a robots . Maybe i expected to much , but that is because they promised to much ... i don't know ....just.. Look OK but , only Ok !

As a side note, the option confirmation sound (i.e. the sound it make when you press :x: to select from the menu) is absolutely GORGEOUS! Reminds me of those long nights in 2001 spent playing hour after hour of the original PES. :D

Yeah, it's classic PES. I love all those little Japanese touches.

Back
Top Bottom