PES 2011 Discussion thread

@gergerger: You're talking like you've played PES 2011 yourself, in top player. The video is what it is. Reports say the A.I. and the defence in general is much tighter, whether this is true or not you'll have to experience it for yourself.

And about the general defensive positioning, that's down to the player for sure this year, with those tactics screens we where presented with, it surely looks like you can do whatever you want with it.

Yep, I got carried away. :P
It's just that I've seen it happen before. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Anyway, we can't expect a degree of defensive coordination close to the real thing. PES matches are not 90 minutes long and will never be, because there's no way any company will produce a game where, at the most realistic level of difficulty, a 90 minutes match could end 0-0 with only a few goal chances.

So, deep inside of me I'm kinda expecting to see some of this naive defending. Which, at the end of the day, is good for the game. :)

Last edited:
Yep, I got carried away. :P
It's just that I've seen it happen before. Hope I'm proven wrong.

Anyway, we can't expect a degree of defensive coordination close to the real thing. PES matches are not 90 minutes long and will never be, because there's no way any company will produce a game where, at the most realistic level of difficulty, a 90 minutes match could end 0-0 with only a few goal chances.

So, deep inside of me I'm kinda expecting to see some of this naive defending. Which, at the end of the day, is good for the game. :)

It will be possible in a decade or so should optical/quantum computing take off.

Then you could program each player with their own immense AI and parameters based on their abilities to the nth degree.

At the moment the AI is still rather basic.However all the signs point to this iteration of PES being the best yet.

PES2008/9 were very poor PES2010 a step in the right direction.

I would like to see this .While the gameplay is key and other details could be regarded as window dressing , I like the idea that in international games the anthems will be played to lend a further degree of authenticity.

As in the current CL mode I hope the flags are displayed as usually carried by children with the relevant global association behind them for the relevant continental cup ie Copa America, UEFA , ACON and a 'My Game Is Fair Play'.

If it is not embargoed information are the anthems full length and are they with accompaniment of the crowd ? This rendition of the magnificent Portuguese anthem for instance is accompanied and uplifting:
YouTube - Euro 2008 National anthem of Portugal

It would make a great cut scene.

Or purely musical and abbreviated:
YouTube - Argentina Anthem - Beijing 2008 Football Semi-Final

Maybe not for this edition of PES but next year perhaps along with actual manager's faces perhaps ?

And a great marketing coup to have the Libertadores licensed. It open's up further a new market for Konami away from it's Asian heartland in terms of sales. The Libertadores is still a breeding ground for emerging talents from CONMEBOL and the performances of Estudiantes against Barca last season in the ICC were nothing to be ashamed of.

It will be possible in a decade or so should optical/quantum computing take off.

Then you could program each player with their own immense AI and parameters based on their abilities to the nth degree.

At the moment the AI is still rather basic.However all the signs point to this iteration of PES being the best yet.

PES2008/9 were very poor PES2010 a step in the right direction.

I would like to see this .While the gameplay is key and other details could be regarded as window dressing , I like the idea that in international games the anthems will be played to lend a further degree of authenticity.

As in the current CL mode I hope the flags are displayed as usually carried by children with the relevant global association behind them for the relevant continental cup ie Copa America, UEFA , ACON and a 'My Game Is Fair Play'.

If it is not embargoed information are the anthems full length and are they with accompaniment of the crowd ? This rendition of the magnificent Portuguese anthem for instance is accompanied and uplifting:
YouTube - Euro 2008 National anthem of Portugal

It would make a great cut scene.

Or purely musical and abbreviated:
YouTube - Argentina Anthem - Beijing 2008 Football Semi-Final

Maybe not for this edition of PES but next year perhaps along with actual manager's faces perhaps ?

And a great marketing coup to have the Libertadores licensed. It open's up further a new market for Konami away from it's Asian heartland in terms of sales. The Libertadores is still a breeding ground for emerging talents from CONMEBOL and the performances of Estudiantes against Barca last season in the ICC were nothing to be ashamed of.

Great stuff. Yes would like to know if it's the full version, although I doubt it. I also wonder if the players move their mouths accompanying it.

Also, the best version of the portuguese anthem on sports is this one, from the Portuguese Rugby National Team:

YouTube - Hino Nacional de Portugal no Campeonato do Mundo de 2007

:LOL: This makes footballers look like "princesses" lol

Joeryan, watch the Ivory Coast vs Germany counter attack. Not only the two German defenders are standing in a line (when one defender should be covering the other one's back), they are also 15 metres deep into their own half, when they should be in the midfield line.

Also, in the Italy vs Portuga, if you've got your 4 defenders vs 2 attackers, one of the SB and a CB should be marking the attackers. I don't care if it's on amateur, such things often happen in the highest difficulty. Watch the defensive line: they are all running backwards. That's because they are giving away 30 metres between them and the goal. That's how BAD amateur teams defend (advancing their last 4 without pressure from midfield, resulting in their defenders having to run towards their goal along with the attackers).

Trailer was made from an old build. It came out at E3, likely made using pre E3 code, no idea as to what the settings are.

The fellas said on the preview that defenders did their jobs well. What's the point of having these previews if you choose to go back to some old trailer from a couple of months ago?

Edit: just seen your newer post after anderson's reply. I'm hoping they're right too, we're all going on the scraps we're given, but I'd trust the fellas sent down to play it know their stuff and what they're looking for.

Last edited:
One guy in fifa topic post this pic
IMAG0098.jpg

pro-evolution-soccer-2009-20090123103655446_640w.jpg

Great stuff. Yes would like to know if it's the full version, although I doubt it. I also wonder if the players move their mouths accompanying it.

Also, the best version of the portuguese anthem on sports is this one, from the Portuguese Rugby National Team:

YouTube - Hino Nacional de Portugal no Campeonato do Mundo de 2007

:LOL: This makes footballers look like "princesses" lol

They were magnificent the Wolves.

Mostly amateurs as well. Great performances against Scotland and scoring against NZ. They showed what it means to play for the nation and as a rugby fan and former player they made me proud of the sport. :APPLAUD:

Shame they did not qualify for next years WC but the junior ranks are promising and several more players are now professionals as well.

It would be great if they Konami could do this. Anything to make the off the pitch action more lifelike for example after a goal cutting to jubilant fans (they could mocap people for it or use renders from video) etc etc.

Sometime in the future I am sure they will get round to doing this. It is not key as the gameplay but it makes the whole experience of playing more satisfying and whole.

@Ronaldinho_23, you have to admit though - The Pes2011 looks much more credible.It's a photo while the Pes2009 is basically a picture which every skillful photoshoper can make.

It would be great if they Konami could do this. Anything to make the off the pitch action more lifelike for example after a goal cutting to jubilant fans (they could mocap people for it or use renders from video) etc etc.

Sometime in the future I am sure they will get round to doing this. It is not key as the gameplay but it makes the whole experience of playing more satisfying and whole.

PES5 had some nice touches like this. I remember that sometimes after scoring a goal it would cut to a camera angle from the back of the stand with silhouettes of the crowd celebrating in front. It was quite effective. Also in PES5 was the special crowd/ultras choreography before a local derby/rivalry game. The crowd for Milan vs Inter games looked awesome.

PES5 had some nice touches like this. I remember that sometimes after scoring a goal it would cut to a camera angle from the back of the stand with silhouettes of the crowd celebrating in front. It was quite effective. Also in PES5 was the special crowd/ultras choreography before a local derby/rivalry game. The crowd for Milan vs Inter games looked awesome.

PES 5 and PES 2008 showed crowds a lot. But Konami has been distracted way too much to think about the little touches, though I could see PES 2012 having "hundreds" of those.

PES 5 and PES 2008 showed crowds a lot. But Konami has been distracted way too much to think about the little touches, though I could see PES 2012 having "hundreds" of those.

Well, you never know, Konami could surprise us. The inclusion of national anthems, for instance, came right out of the blue. I really didn't expect that.

Well, you never know, Konami could surprise us. The inclusion of national anthems, for instance, came right out of the blue. I really didn't expect that.

Oh sure, I wasn't saying there wouldn't be any (we know they exist since the Ivory Coast kit and the Tevez celebration), I'm just saying there wasn't many over the last few years because Konami has been under pressure.

But yeah, indeed, I wasn't expecting the national anthems thing, and those two little animations someone mentioned, players "ducking" on throw-ins and the refs adjusting the wall.

Lastly, I believe PES needs tactical fouls. Every player (not just defenders), must make this kind of fouls every now and then. There should be a button to force the foul, to cut the momentum, to accomodate your team. Of course, the ref would have to yellow card players who insist on this behaviour.

The problem with PES is that fouls are conceived as a matter of calculating the right time to steal a ball. But their are not considered as a neccesity or tactical element.

Agreed, zeemeister, but in my book slide tacking is not exactly tactical fouling, that's more dangerous. Obstructing is more like it, but to me it doesn't come that close to the concept I was trying to expose. Nice discussion anyway.

Last edited:
Agreed, zeemeister, but in my book slide tacking is not exactly tactical fouling, that's more dangerous. Obstructing is more like it, but to me it doesn't come that close to the concept I was trying to expose. Nice discussion anyway.

In the NBA2K games you can press a button to enforce an intentional foul, so maybe something similar could work in PES. I quite like the idea of tactical fouls as it is part of the game, but how well the idea would be received by PES players is another matter.

In the NBA2K games you can press a button to enforce an intentional foul, so maybe something similar could work in PES. I quite like the idea of tactical fouls as it is part of the game, but how well the idea would be received by PES players is another matter.

but that is part of bball. fouling someone intentionally in football can be acomplished with a tackle, which you can already do in PES

But a slide tackle well off the ball is vicious and prone to getting you a red card. We're talking about body checking here. You need to be able to foul just by getting your body in the way. Not by sliding and taking legs out.

But a slide tackle well off the ball is vicious and prone to getting you a red card. We're talking about body checking here. You need to be able to foul just by getting your body in the way. Not by sliding and taking legs out.

^ This

@ Gomito

Hence the term tactical foul. It's always been part of football. It's just about doing enough to break up the opposition's play without picking up a card, or in desperate cases picking up a yellow. It's just the simple (or cynical) stuff like shirt pulling, obstructions, body checks, clipping of heels.

Back
Top Bottom