PES 2011 Discussion thread

Surely they would retain the effect of passing accuracy to simulate real life ? So that Upson cannot pass like Pastore.

:)) Whereas Kjaer would be better than Upson on the ball for instance as an example.

The WENB podcast is up and Riot is on there this week. I've been looking forward to this one as the guy talks a lot of sense.

Both Riot and Asim are top men, they are honest in their thoughts about the game and i can't be more thrilled atm. PES 2011 is going to be EPIC thats for sure and IF Konami fix the bad flaws from the past couple of games, keepers, response, referees, etc. than we gonna have one helluva footie game. :KING:

I tell you again. This manual passing thing is making me nervous.

In that IGN review (thanks Jamezinho) there's even mention of of a through pass that can be performed with a normal pass button. While it makes sense it has me worried. In PES you make tactical changes because having a left footer crossing with his right has repercussions. In my ML Aissati is a player that I buy to groom into a proper playmaker that can slide a ball through a defence like a hot knife through butter putting my striker in behind the defence. If manual passing in PES2011 takes this aspect away by making the pass dependent on my ability to weigh the pass properly it will kill it for me. It's an aspect that frankly makes PES 2010 a better football game than FIFA 10 IMO.

Please Konami don't let this happen, that is part of where the magic in PES lies.

Exactly this.

I'm very nervous, it's always bugged me this. And this certainly hasnt helped.

Don't be so worried, the preview doesn't give any information about which teams the author was playing or which players he was using. I'm 99% sure the passing system will consider a player's passing stats when the pass is being played. It just seems like a more realistic approach to passing, because players can hit the ball hard if they choose to do so IRL. Whether or not those kinds of passes will be accurate is another story.

Exactly, any move towards stopping the game being a collection of the same old passing rails is a big step in the right direction. Manual aiming does not mean manual outcome. It just means the manual passes you make with worse passers will have to be shorter and safer, or hoofed and hopeful.

I'm still a bit confused, however, on just how manual the passing actually is. The IGN playtest says it's fully manual, and I thought it was initially, but that's not what we thought from the PES press tour. People keep talking about being able to aim passes at a player's left or right foot - it's something of a consistent line being brought out by people in hands-on reports. Dunno whether they're all just regurgitating what John Murphy (was it?) said right at the start of May (I've noticed a fair few reports in FIFA drag out the same soundbites that we heard during the presentation we got, so I wonder if these guys are doing the same for PES) or if it's actually a gameplay feature to aim passes at particular feet; certainly the control sheets we saw from the Konami Press week implied that manual was a separate toggle, rather than a default setting. So is passing manual by default, or is it semi-assisted with the option to put bias on the pass towards one foot or the other, with a manual toggle button to take fuller control?

Last edited:
is the manual passing is only for the normal passing, not the through pass too? i don't like the assisted through pass. It goes way off from what I want it to be, not even close

is the manual passing is only for the normal passing, not the through pass too? i don't like the assisted through pass. It goes way off from what I want it to be, not even close

FYI the thru pass can be modified with R2 to play it to your teammate's feet. It seems to me that pressing the normal pass or thru pass button is intended for one touch moves, where touches aren't required but you have time to consider your next move because the ball's not being played to feet.

Dont you understand? Seabass is joking with us.They said it themeselves. Manual pass will be optional probably (it will work only if you press L2/LT+pass). Other than that it will be normal assisted pass with the pass button...Its all pr bull for me. Everyone will play stupid assisted in pes2011...

Stop trolling. All the reviews and people who playtested it has said exactly the same. Konami aren't joking and no one is. If people choose to play assisted passing then that's their pick.

FYI the thru pass can be modified with R2 to play it to your teammate's feet. It seems to me that pressing the normal pass or thru pass button is intended for one touch moves, where touches aren't required but you have time to consider your next move because the ball's not being played to feet.

Is this in the 2010 or in 2011 you mean?

I'm still a bit confused, however, on just how manual the passing actually is. The IGN playtest says it's fully manual, and I thought it was initially, but that's not what we thought from the PES press tour. People keep talking about being able to aim passes at a player's left or right foot - it's something of a consistent line being brought out by people in hands-on reports. Dunno whether they're all just regurgitating what John Murphy (was it?) said right at the start of May (I've noticed a fair few reports in FIFA drag out the same soundbites that we heard during the presentation we got, so I wonder if these guys are doing the same for PES) or if it's actually a gameplay feature to aim passes at particular feet; certainly the control sheets we saw from the Konami Press week implied that manual was a separate toggle, rather than a default setting. So is passing manual by default, or is it semi-assisted with the option to put bias on the pass towards one foot or the other, with a manual toggle button to take fuller control?

On the subject of being able to aim a pass at a receiving player's left or right foot, I think it may be what was seen in this gif shown a while back:

2namhdw.gif

i.e. you can now choose to pass slightly to the left/right/infront of/behind the receiving player, rather than directly to feet as with PES at present.

Which to me looks like Konami's implemented a control system similar to Fifa's semi-manual controls, but with a power bar. It's still assisted but gives you more passing angles to use rather than the one on-rails option. I'll be very happy if this is the case as Fifa's semi-manual controls are a joy to use. I'm pretty sure from what I've read PES2011 is not a fully manual game by default, but can become so at any time using the manual modifier button. I think this is a really good way of doing things.

I think everyone would like the freedom to pass/shoot/dribble the ball how they like and where they like, we'd also like the game to decide if the player we attempt that pass/shot/dribble with is capable of pulling it off..

If not it's a gamble on our part, if he should be, we should be fairly confident he should pull it off if we time it right..

It's not easy to pull off as it's taken years to get to where we are now but surely that's what they should be aiming for... :P

i guess if people will like the manual pass with L2
cause i think it will be very complicated to perform

Asim said on twitter that the standard passing was great and he tried the L2 manual a few times. It seems from the podcast, that the standard passing has been improved in terms of freedom, and how you can use X as a through ball.

Sounds like a semi assisted pass then. Fair enough. Odd how IGN described the passing as full manual? Can't verify that right now but I'm sure that's what they said.

Sue Barker's getting on isn't she?

Last edited:
I think what they meant by fully manual is that you can pass in any direction you want, and not just 8, so to them more directions and angles probably felt like full 360, or manual like some like to say.

I'm happy with what Asim said really, to me it just means more angles to pass with the accuracy still in effect.

The passing system when using either X or Triangle will be similar to FIFA's Semi approach. You will have the freedom of passing in the desired direction along with control over power but the stats of the player in possession will effect the level of accuracy. Using the L2 modifier will make it completely manual. Shooting does not have a manual option so is semi by default.

That's what I thought. Perfect balance imo.

yeah a good balance and individuality should be maintained. Loved Asims views on the podcast, enjoyed how it said he felt good when a stringed a move togehter and that he could really feel the difference between Argentina and Estuduiantes. All those doubting the animations should listen to both Riot and Asims impressions.

Pes 2011 is shaping up to be quality.

Haven't listened to the podcast yet. Might just do that because I like Riot's opinion on PES.

Exactly this.

I'm very nervous, it's always bugged me this. And this certainly hasnt helped.

u still can pass w/o L2, so semi direction passing with pass bar only

with l2 its manual direction with pass bar

the problem is a diffrent one:
how they manage it that the L2 passing is more rewarding over the usual passing + w/o forgetting the stats based system
wicked thing

u still can pass w/o L2, so semi direction passing with pass bar only

with l2 its manual direction with pass bar

the problem is a diffrent one:
how they manage it that the L2 passing is more rewarding over the usual passing + w/o forgetting the stats based system
wicked thing

From what I've heard about the game it sounds as if manual :l2: passing is to be used as a compliment to the standard assisted passing system, i.e. it's not designed to be used for every single pass, just for when you need to unlock a defence or pass into space. It sounds as though the standard passing system is much more free (along the lines of Fifa's semi-assisted model), and much more rewarding in the process.

From what I've heard about the game it sounds as if manual :l2: passing is to be used as a compliment to the standard assisted passing system, i.e. it's not designed to be used for every single pass, just for when you need to unlock a defence or pass into space. It sounds as though the standard passing system is much more free (along the lines of Fifa's semi-assisted model), and much more rewarding in the process.

u cant write more weirdly :ugly

if u see the pic with the controls it is exactly like i wrote

any news yet about edit mode? im thinking now the new addition will be that when additional dlc is released people's optionfiles will not be reset to default status,that wouldnt be too hard for konami to implement and would be a welcome addition to all optionfile makers

Back
Top Bottom