PES 2010 360/PS3 Demo Feedback

Right then .... this is interesting.

I was at my brothers last night, we played the FIFA demo and enjoyed it. I thought I'd show him the PES demo to compare ... and found myself not actually minding the PES demo at all! :SHOCK:

The response times still pissed me off really but I found myself playing the game and not wanting to kill Seabass! :LOL:

I'm going to keep playing the demo as I really wanted to play BAL last year but hated 2009. So we'll see what happens with 2010 and if the game improves at all, then hopefully I can play BAL this year :)

Not liking the demo too much, I'm forever miss kicking with the right stick. Love the ball weight and the post and bar sounds but I'm going to have to put some time in to re train my Dark side brain. Lots of skating and crabbing but soo much better than 8 and 9...

OMG, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

I'll go as far as to say, that the last 15 mins is the most realistic football game I've ever played.

Played with Liverpool-Barcelona, and I've got to say it felt like I was watching the real game. The sliders/cards, make a HUGE difference.

I started the game with Liverpool's lineup yesterday. Masch as a defensive midfielder, Lucas as a central midfielder, and Gerrard as an attacking midfielder. Gave all 3 'Balanced' settings to make sure they'd all do the box to box work like they did yesterday. Yossi and Kuyt played as supporting strikers to Torres. Gave Agger the 'Extra man' card (or something like that), and gave both Insua and Johnson 'attacking' settings. Got the pressing and compactness settings to around 70, also gave a high value for positional switching, but gave a mid value for player support. Also started with 'Pressure' tactic in the beginning.

Game started with Barcelona trying to pass it quickly, and Kuyt, Lucas, and Gerrard were pressurizing the ball players madly. Resulted in a couple of quick counter attacks. Scored the first goal, Kuyt had the ball around the penalty area, and Gerrard was making a run behind the defense, he passed it, and Gerrard slotted it away.

Immediately, got my attacking level down to 'balanced', turned on the counter attack tactic, and gave Lucas and Mascherano 'defensive' setting. Barcelona kept passing it around, with me winning the ball a few times thanks to Mascherano, but didn't result in anyways. Eventually, Barcelona countered, Henry made a fool of Johnson, and it was 1-1. Half time, and I decided it was time to take the initiative.

Kept the ball, passed it around, and Johnson had a few opportunities, especially when he cut back on his left foot, and just missed the post (just like he does in real life). Unfortunately, Barcelona had a bit of possession, Xavi floated a ball in the box, Ibra controlled it magnificently with on foot, a little sidestep on Carragher, and it was 2-1.

Decided I needed to take a more attacking route. Got Lucas attacking, and tried to keep the ball more. Yossi had the ball on the left, he cut inside with a dummy on Alves, passed it to Gerrard, and he thumped it from 25 yards. 2-2!

Time to win the game I decided, and the pressure was mounting continuously. Gerrard had a nice 1-2 with Johnson, burst past Abidal, and cut it back, for Benayoun to score a simple tap in. 3-2

15 minutes left, and I decided to protect the lead. Got Babel on for Yossi to give me pace on the counter, shifted back Lucas and Gerrard to defensive roles, and set on 'All Defense' tactic (which works like a charm). My players hardly step beyond the half way line, with only Torres pressurizing the defenders, but once you got near the box, you had 3 players on the ball carrier. Still, it didn't seem to work, as Barcelona had to too much space, and Henry almost scored, but hit the bar.

Realized the my defense were bombing to far forward. Set up Agger's 'extra player' card, gave Insua and Johnson defensive settings, and got Aurelio on for Torres. Set up both Aurelio and Kuyt as side midfielders, and Babel as the long forward, going 'All Defense'. Just like you can imagine, Barcelona had plenty of space on their own half, but very little when the approached the area. I had left Gerrard as 'free roamer', so whenever I had the ball, he'd bomb forward, and almost scored a goal. Managed to hold onto the lead, and those 15 mins felt like I was the manager.

INCREDIBLE. Never been so engrossed in a game in my lift.

Didn't care about animations, didn't care about graphics (though they are brilliant). But it all just felt right. And at every moment, I was thinking, what should be my next step? My next move. And this was on normal difficult setting. Look for a solution, trying to remember Liverpool playing in real life, and trying to emulate it.

Defending is an art, and this game showed it. And this was ONE game. I'm going to spend the whole day, playing with different teams, and exploring this game. But my guess is that anyone who really enjoys the tactical side of the game, will LOVE this.

Thanks man. The gameplay and graphics revamp deserved all the hype. All the reason why next year's game will be even deeper and better moving... Especially with a next-gen animations engine (Inverse Kinematics) and a physics engine for collisions (like Morpheme).... But for this year, PES2010 is pretty pleasing.

Last edited:
damn it

i'm not able to even find the bloody demo
my ps doesnt have the search option and im dying to download it!!!

is it because it is only for europe at the moment?
please somebody tell me :(

damn it

i'm not able to even find the bloody demo
my ps doesnt have the search option and im dying to download it!!!

is it because it is only for europe at the moment?
please somebody tell me :(

You can create a UK account you know...

Curious...for those that love the demo.....if it had pes 2009 graphics would you still love the demo? In other words, are you unconsciously rating the demo high because it looks pretty? To me it seems like it may play a part.
I am intrigued in the direction that both EA and Komami are going. It seems as if they are trading styles and IMHO it seems as if Konami used the "great" graphics as an easy way out...a way to make up fir other fundamental shortcomings. I've never heard so much rave about grfx from pes fans yet this year it's the thing most praise. It was never like that before. I used to here things like "graphics aren't important", etc. In fact, it sounded many times like there was a taboo against great grfx in footy games! Now the tables have turned. PES provides the "great" grfx (the contrast and sharpness have to be toned down a bit though). Too much play between light and shadows that makes players glow grotesquely. And EA provides the gameplay that's smooth as butter and very organic (especially impressive since it's only an old demo).
Pes can be fun but the jerky animations steal a bit of thunder from the grfx. There's no sense having a Ferrari body with a Ford focus engine in it.

Thoughts?

I have a thought.. There are too many people loyal to both brands, FIFA and PES.

There are people who just refuse to try either game in fear of switching for whatever reason. I have mates who I have grown up with who will not even try FIFA as we have played PES/ISS for so long and vise versa. Luckily for me I will play whatever is best and in my opinion and for the 2nd year funning it's FIFA hands down...and I preferred PES 2008 over FIFA 08 and one of the biggest reasons was response times..how ironic.

I have a thought.. There are too many people loyal to both brands, FIFA and PES.

There are people who just refuse to try either game in fear of switching for whatever reason. I have mates who I have grown up with who will not even try FIFA as we have played PES/ISS for so long and vise versa. Luckily for me I will play whatever is best and in my opinion and for the 2nd year funning it's FIFA hands down...and I preferred PES 2008 over FIFA 08 and one of the biggest reasons was response times..how ironic.

Same here. I started on FIFA then pes for years simply cause it was king and now back to FIFA. I don't care who makes it, I just want the better game. Sadly were small exceptions as most people treat developers like religions. Bizarre

Thing is most Fifa gamers would of started with PES. Only a small number of Fifa gamers would say prior to 07 the games were even playable let alone good. I was a Winning Eleven fanatic but times change and things must move forward. Unfortuantly Seabass and his team havent moved quick enough for me. The demo maybe an improvement on 09 but anything could of been better than that.

Thing is most Fifa gamers would of started with PES. Only a small number of Fifa gamers would say prior to 07 the games were even playable let alone good. I was a Winning Eleven fanatic but times change and things must move forward. Unfortuantly Seabass and his team havent moved quick enough for me. The demo maybe an improvement on 09 but anything could of been better than that.

+1 ..WE6FE if memory serves well was awesome..I also remember one of the first ISS where the keeper could slide out of the box carrying the ball and it would give a freekick..

+1 ..WE6FE if memory serves well was awesome..I also remember one of the first ISS where the keeper could slide out of the box carrying the ball and it would give a freekick..

Yeah I have that on the Gamecube. I thought it played awesome with the GC Pad analogue stick.

Last edited:
Curious...for those that love the demo.....if it had pes 2009 graphics would you still love the demo? In other words, are you unconsciously rating the demo high because it looks pretty? To me it seems like it may play a part.
I am intrigued in the direction that both EA and Komami are going. It seems as if they are trading styles and IMHO it seems as if Konami used the "great" graphics as an easy way out...a way to make up fir other fundamental shortcomings. I've never heard so much rave about grfx from pes fans yet this year it's the thing most praise. It was never like that before. I used to here things like "graphics aren't important", etc. In fact, it sounded many times like there was a taboo against great grfx in footy games! Now the tables have turned. PES provides the "great" grfx (the contrast and sharpness have to be toned down a bit though). Too much play between light and shadows that makes players glow grotesquely. And EA provides the gameplay that's smooth as butter and very organic (especially impressive since it's only an old demo).
Pes can be fun but the jerky animations steal a bit of thunder from the grfx. There's no sense having a Ferrari body with a Ford focus engine in it.

Thoughts?

Have you played the demo? If you have, you would know already that it's a lot better, and would say the same even if it had PES 2009 graphics. Seriously, graphics aside, it an improvement. Build up play is a lot smoother and there's less of the stop-starting that went on in PES 2009. It also feels a lot less on the rails and doesn't lock on the same when tackling as in PES 2009. There is a little more freedom overall. Sure, there are responsiveness issues, (which I'm sure will be refined or ironed out in the final release) but overall it's a more measured approach to football. The speed of the game is bang on and overall it's a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Thanks man. The gameplay and graphics revamp deserved all the hype. All the reason why next year's game will be even deeper and better moving... Especially with a next-gen animations engine (Inverse Kinematics) and a physics engine for collisions (like Morpheme).... But for this year, PES2010 is pretty pleasing.

Have I missed something. When did Konami announce that next year will have a next-gen engine?

Honestly I have not seen any news of this so I wondering if this is official. Wasn't PES 2010 suppose to have the killer next-gen engine? That is what we kept hearing after PES 08 and PES 09.

Have I missed something. When did Konami announce that next year will have a next-gen engine?

Honestly I have not seen any news of this so I wondering if this is official. Wasn't PES 2010 suppose to have the killer next-gen engine? That is what we kept hearing after PES 08 and PES 09.

It's just hopeful speculation. PES2010 was hailed as the 'revolution' and the real-next gen PES. Graphically it is, but technically it's still far behind other sports games.

I don't think Konami will introduce a new engine on this generation of consoles. They will most likely try and do what they can with the current one. I don't think we've seen the best of the current engine, and if Konami can marry it up with a proper animation system I think it still has something to offer.

Apart from certain animations and collisions, I really feel this franchise has moved ahead well. I think the game is pretty good so far, and just feels like a good old WE game. I see no problem in owning both games this year, and will probably play between both. PES generally has a better SP setup in terms of experience, where as FIFA has a better online and offline structure, however the AI is frustrating and boring to play against. Either way, both demos really impressed me and I'm glad to pay for both (+ FM :D).

Have you played the demo? If you have, you would know already that it's a lot better, and would say the same even if it had PES 2009 graphics. Seriously, graphics aside, it an improvement. Build up play is a lot smoother and there's less of the stop-starting that went on in PES 2009. It also feels a lot less on the rails and doesn't lock on the same when tackling as in PES 2009. There is a little more freedom overall. Sure, there are responsiveness issues, (which I'm sure will be refined or ironed out in the final release) but overall it's a more measured approach to football. The speed of the game is bang on and overall it's a lot of fun.

I've played close to 20 games in hopes that it grows on me. It's an improvement in the points you made. I'm not arguing that. Coming after pes 2009, it looks like gold but that's not a real measure of quality given the fact that 09 was really bad. I'm measuring it against the competition. That's a more appropriate comparison. Really , when it comes down to it, pes is like riding a mountain bike through gravel and FIFA is like riding a road bike on smooth asphalt. That's the meat and potatos of these games to me...fluidity. I haven't even touched on other aspects.

Thoughts?

The thoughts that come to my mind is that this is a thread about demo feedback and this post can at the very best stir up the same disagreements that got it closed for a little while. So I see little point in it.

I've played close to 20 games in hopes that it grows on me. It's an improvement in the points you made. I'm not arguing that. Coming after pes 2009, it looks like gold but that's not a real measure of quality given the fact that 09 was really bad. I'm measuring it against the competition. That's a more appropriate comparison. Really , when it comes down to it, pes is like riding a mountain bike through gravel and FIFA is like riding a road bike on smooth asphalt. That's the meat and potatos of these games to me...fluidity. I haven't even touched on other aspects.

I'm sure everyone is well aware of your opinion of PES2010 by now. This is a feedback thread and most of your posts only serve to stir up trouble.

I agree, but they both have their shortcomings, and IMO both seem to have taken different routes in their representation of football; FIFA being more of a simulation focused on recreating animations more true to life and with the current manual system in place it focuses more on the skill the user, whereas PES is geared more towards fun, pick up and play football. It's entertaining for all users, but opens up the possibility for more advanced players to work on their formations and tactics and use players to the best of their abilities, to win as a team using the players they have available. Rather than focuses solely on the intricacies of a full on SIM. This is the main reason why I find it hard to draw a lot of parallels between the two and why I used PES 2009 as a reference, being the latest game in the next gen PES series, and the latest game to focus on what PES focuses on, IMO of course.

For all the positives in FIFA (and I agree there are a lot, including 'fluidity' as you say), IMO the longevity of the game is still let down by the fact there is very little individuality between teams and players, and when there is it tends to be applied to the top divisions solely. I have the game pre-ordered and fully intend of putting it through it's paces both online and offline in MM and using my VP, but in the back of my mind is the niggling thought that each and every match will all be a little samey, which worries me. On the other hand, although PES has that individuality and tactical side to it, which fills that particular void left by FIFA, adding some form of spontaneity to each and every game you play, I'm worried that the response times and the fact that it is lacking in the simulation department in terms of collisions and animations could factor in to my enjoyment of the game. I have PES pre-ordered though, as I can't wait to get stuck into the new ML and try out the new online mode.

I guess we'll have to see, and it'll be interesting to read this post back in a few months time to see if my opinion has changed.

Last edited:
I agree, but they both have their shortcomings, and IMO both seem to have taken different routes in their representation of football; FIFA being more of a simulation focused on recreating animations more true to life and with the current manual system in place it focuses more on the skill the user, whereas PES is geared more towards fun, pick up and play football. It's entertaining for all users, but opens up the possibility for more advanced players to work on their formations and tactics and use players to the best of their abilities, to win as a team using the players they have available. Rather than focuses solely on the intricacies of a full on SIM. This is the main reason why I find it hard to draw a lot of parallels between the two and why I used PES 2009 as a reference, being the latest game in the next gen PES series, and the latest game to focus on what PES focuses on, IMO of course.

For all the positives in FIFA (and I agree there are a lot, including 'fluidity' as you say), IMO the longevity of the game is still let down by the fact there is very little individuality between teams and players, and when there is it tends to be applied to the top divisions solely. I have the game pre-ordered and fully intend of putting it through it's paces both online and offline in MM and using my VP, but in the back of my mind is the niggling thought that each and every match will all be a little samey, which worries me. On the other hand, although PES has that individuality and tactical side to it, which fills that particular void left by FIFA, adding some form of spontaneity to each and every game you play, I'm worried that the response times and the fact that it is lacking in the simulation department in terms of collisions and animations could factor in to my enjoyment of the game. I have PES pre-ordered though, as I can't wait to get stuck into the new ML and try out the new online mode.

I guess we'll have to see, and it'll be interesting to read this post back in a few months time to see if my opinion has changed.

Brilliant post.

Back
Top Bottom