PES 2010 360/PS3 Demo Feedback

Cheers but the double tap forward by Xavi is unfortunate (it looks ridiculous and very PS2) however I have noticed improved animations in some goal scoring situations or a few touches here and there.

PES 2011 must erradicate these things once and for all. Mixed feelings on this demo but more positives then negatives.

I've refrained from posting impressions ever since the demo was posted on XBLM. This is the first PES I have played since PES5 and I haven't played that in years. To say that PES2010 was jarring at first is an understatement. It is amazing how two development studios can make the same game feel completely different to play.

I have always prefered the graphical style of PES, it is vibrant and more pleasing on the eye. 2010 is really very nice graphically. Some of the animations are grim and the bridges between animation routines is juddery at times, which is a little frustrating. The weight of the ball is pretty much perfect and even though you could argue the sound effects are not "true to broadcast" in representation, they do atleast give weight to everything you do.

It still feels a little dated, 360 movement is hardly noticable, movement can at times feel sluggish and the response times need careful planning. However, the overwhelming thing for me, despite all its flaws, is that it is FUN. Sure it isn't the most realistic representation of footie ever, but it is damn fun against the CPU. No other game replicates it for me from that perspective.

Whether I actually buy it remains to be seen, comments from the full retain will swing my decision.

One of the things i think PES has done right ever since Iss Pro Evolution 2 on the PSX is defence.

Often people will make comments along the lines of "you need a footballing brain to appreciate what is going on", and here, regarding defending well they're right.

PES 2010 still allows you to cover, track and harangue players for the ball, you have all the options of pressing or holding shape and using a zone defence to win the ball and it works.

It works well because of the weight of the players and the general feeling of physical contact. Fifa has improved on this but still even if you defend "correctly" the lack of sense of true physical contact means you as a player do not "feel" how to defend the same and can still on some occasions be waltzed through where it looks like you have covered the movement of the player and ball well.

This is a real strength of PES, the classic a strong defence builds a strong offence.

-

There is a flip-side to this which is actually highlighted more by the slower, "more accurate" and deliberate pace of the game.

The same weight to players does not translate the same when you are an attacking player. I think this is part now due to lack of true 360 movement but also the sprinting does not have a real sense of momentum, this could be a cosmetic thing whereas you do get dropped shoulders and player acceleration is more noticeable in Fifa, the same old animation when running in PES makes it seem like you travel at basically set speeds depending on whether it is an R2, R1 or just d-pad dribble.

This lack of momentum tends somehow mesh with the way when you dribble you tend to dribble almost on rails or in set lines, there are not really any subtle direction changes when in attack...more obvious and sharp angled ones. You tend to beat the man with sudden, harsh movements instead of subtle shifts in weight that even the other game has worked towards addressing...
You find against a solid defender you don't really ever bear down on them and drop the shoulder or shift your weight slightly. Instead you either go for a knock-in, which isn't as effective as it should be with full pelt sprinting...Or you more "run squares around the opposition", when more freedom of movement would allow you to run circles around them.

PES's solid fundamentals in defence are marred slightly by the fact true breakaway plays don't play out with the urgency they could due to more work needed on movement on the ball.

In an attempt to create a more deliberate pace, those moments where there's a spurt of play and sudden change of momentum are somewhat stifled as the engine (at least in the demo) hasn't found the balance between measured, decisive passing and blistering one-touch moves to catch opponents sleeping.

This could be rectified by use of the analogue buttons which i only know one game really uses (Everybody's Golf) and the game could benefit allowing you to zip X button passes a little more (with a little less control depending on the individual).

---

I know they have gone for a more measured approach to the gameplay but to me somewhere down the line the balance has shifted a little too far that way, to a point where even the realistic sudden changes in momentum to a game have become a lot less frequent than a more faithful representation of the sport.

I am liking the demo but I am missing my favourite animation / cut scene. It was in PES 6 and previous I think.

Has anyone seen the one were the goalkeeper makes a cracking save and his defenders run up to him and pat him on the back and fuss him and he waves them on to defend the corner. I love that :)

Its good to hear that everyone is loving the the demo. I have downloaded the demo for pc windows 7 and its running smoother than pes9 pc version. Can't wait for final release.

still loving the demo...haven't played fifa 10 since last week...think both games are great just that pro evo has my attention at the moment

I'm amazed by how different some peoples judgement are. Most people see this game as very mediocre and some see it as excellent. I envy those who believe it to be great. I've been dying to get that feeling I used to get on the ps2 versions years back. I've been pulling for Konami but am let down for three years straight now. Or is it four? Lost count. IMO there will be people who would like pes no matter what, strictly out of principle and loyalty, which I find very weird. Some will love it like they'll always love their embarrasing drunk uncle. Again, out of habit and loyalty. And some see greatness in it!

Clearly there's one thing I think we can all agree on....they need a new engine. A debatable other point is that they need a new motivated talented team. A shakeup of sorts. Just like in real football, you have to make changes.

About the game itself it all boils down to one major reason why I feel it is poor. Lack of fluidity. Yep. Stiff robotic running, inadequate and minimal animations...ruins the game for me. I think it has some good points...graphics are pretty good although they have to lower their contrast and sharpness. It's too drastic and can make players look grotesque. Some players are great while others look weird but all in all good graphics. Nets are also greAt. Back to the poor...ball physics are exagerated. A simple backheel pass can result in a straight pass (as if gliding like a hockey puck in a football costume) 40 yards away. Response time is almost as bad as fifas used to be. Audio is poor - mediocre (especially ball thumps and players yelling in "agony").

All in all, a decent improvement over 09 but still, not saying much. I think the game can be enjoyable and would be a decent pick up if it was the only option. Being that it isn't, I'll pass on it again. The minute they surpass the competition, I'll be right there picking up my copy.

Please remember, all this is just my opinion.

Thanks,
unbiased reviewer

I agree with you at 100%...all the words you said are wise

am still loving the pes demo, only thing now that is really bugging me is the repetative animations, dont get me wrong i like alot of them but simpley ther is know wher near enough for a game to last around half a year in my consel, well it will stil probaly will be in my consel just i want like it as much if you get what i mean, what got to me is that i had a game on pro, me barca and cpu liverpool, six goals where in it and all used the same shooting animation, wtf is what i say to that. im getting sick of them from a few hours a day for 5 days. so pissed cause fifa have so many, just think how good pes would be with that kind of variation in animations, next year for this i suppose:YAWN:

Apologies if posted. Found this elsewhere :

In pes 2010 the response time was so annoying for me and for most of the user it was not realistic .. and here came the easy temporary solution ... and It worked like a charm the response time is just in line with the games speed.no more annoying Delay when u pressed pass and it didnt pass or u presed shoot and it didnt shoot or tacle its awesome.

Make your XBOX360 or PS3 run in 480P instead of an HD resolution....the game is absolutely magnificent.

For PC users try turning the Vsync off...

No idea if it works personally, but a couple of guys in the PES rumours thread claim it does.

Last edited:
I noticed a lot of collision issues(polygons penetration) during frays in area (corner kick for istance)and that accursed issue of untucked shirt...Does Anyone noticed that from normal camera ALL players haven't got any difference? You can notice untucked shirt only from replays, just like PES2009...ALso during entrance sequence if you look carefully players with untucked shirt as soon as they get further they suddenly change...and as for magic their shirt goes tucked...
Now I know there are so many and more important issue but I wonder "Is it so difficult to fix that little bug?" Why cannot I see (for istance ) Francesco Totti or Drogba with their shirts out? In FIFA it is so clear...

As I said in another thread, the demo on HD 1080i, on "Normal" difficulty is smooth as a baby's but with respond times, shooting, passing, dribbling, etc. I play my games on a 42 inch LCD HD. Try it.

Overall i'm satisfied with it, i luckely didn't have high hopes for 2010 so it's easier to be satisfied...

It's not perfect (far from it), but this is the direction i wanted it to go in...

If it would have disappointed me this year and fifa wouldn't (but it did after al the "promises" and the things some fifa playing friends made) then i would have choosen for the other one after more than a decade!

I noticed a lot of collision issues(polygons penetration) during frays in area (corner kick for istance)and that accursed issue of untucked shirt...Does Anyone noticed that from normal camera ALL players haven't got any difference? You can notice untucked shirt only from replays, just like PES2009...ALso during entrance sequence if you look carefully players with untucked shirt as soon as they get further they suddenly change...and as for magic their shirt goes tucked...
Now I know there are so many and more important issue but I wonder "Is it so difficult to fix that little bug?" Why cannot I see (for istance ) Francesco Totti or Drogba with their shirts out? In FIFA it is so clear...

They rapidly tuck their shirts in when they change screens, PES likes their players to look tidy... (same with replays, during replays all players have some time to tuck their shirt back in)

So guys, switched on the PS3 and changed the output to 720p from 1080i (un-ticked 1080i in display settings) to see what all the fuss is about - and it seems to run a LOT smoother. There doesn't seem to be any juddering and the passing seems nice and fluid, like I'm getting on the PC version at the moment. Seriously, anyone who has the PS3 version try it and post your impressions.

I've dropped it to 480P and it seems to play better than before.Crosses seem to loft alot better.But it visually looks poor.

To me it seems that you have more control on 480P i need one of you guys to try it.I have it on regular at the moment going to try on top player.

Hey fellas been playing a fair bit of this (and the Fifa 10 demo) and got some great footage for you to check out. I dunno what it is but I seem to score some pretty sweet goals. I use a lot of build up (in both games). Anyways, PES has more replays time so I can share with you the build-up better.

Check these out!

Very nice and very realistic barca interchange
YouTube - PES 2010 Demo - Very nice Barca interchange finished with Henry magic

Great great worked goal
YouTube - PES 2010 Demo - Very well-worked passing move ends in Ibra goal.

Messi outsmarts defender only for Xavi to miss (had a response issue with my shot/button press :( )
YouTube - PES 2010 Demo - Messi uses multiple skils to beat a man

Some nice tight dribbling from Ibra and he's fouled but not given a freekick...
YouTube - PES 2010 Demo - Ibrahimovic outclasses Liverpool then gets fouled

Some great last ditch defending from the Ai here:
YouTube - PES 2010 Demo - Intelligent Barcelona movement & play

Messi facial animation/detail (got some requests for it
YouTube - PES 2010 Demo - Lionel Messi Facial Animations

There's more on my channel. Probably done with making PES2010 vids for a while unless i score a spectacular goal. I'm gonna play the crap out of the demo to try and familiarise myself with the controls a bit more. Hope you liked them!

My detailed impressions are incoming!

I am really a fanboy gameklip but those videos sucks mostly, dont pretend to offend you at all, I appreciate the effort but...

First Zlatan goal: goes in through the middle and Valdes doing nothing
Henry's goal from rebound: dear Reina, YOU HAVE TO STOP ALL THE SHOTS, NOT ONLY THE FIRST ONE!
Xavi's deflected shot: Messi runs runs runs, then cutback.

The one that was nice comes from that deflection at defense. Very cool!

Kind of amusing to hear that you need to drop the visuals down to SD to make it run better...

But anyway, tried what Ahbi did and had a really good game. Put Liverpool's defense right back with a lot pressure and left Torres up front alone. Barca had all the possesion but couldn't create anything while the combination of Gerrard, Torres, Kuyt and Reira managed to break a lot and get into some good positions. No goals, and not many chances but it was a good game.

As for the response issues I'm not sure if it is that, offcourse coming from FIFA I'm used to it anyway, but I find the reaction to my button presses fine. What does annoy me though is that when running with the ball (so only pressing d-pad, not sprinting) the close control of players in general is pi$$ poor. It's like they kick the ball 2m ahead everytime! Have they added a closecontrol button or something? I know FIFA has this and it's a great/nessecary addition when you are in a tight midfield and want to skip past one player without sprinting. The distance the ball travels at every "kick" means you can hardly keep hold of the ball in midfield, the AI just wins it back / runs into it and you're scrambling to win the ball again. It's odd because at times Torres will keep it close when "driblling up/down quickly" yet when I run in a straight/diagonal line he kicks it away again. Anyone know what's going on?

I believe there is a close control button on PES, that is where the 360 degree is most noticeable if I'm not mistaken? (I could be wrong, haven't had time to play the demo that much, real lifes gotten in the way lol.)

I think close control is on the left shoulder button by the way.

i so wanted to enjoy pes2009, i played fifa 09 much more but my loyalty still remained with pro evo

absolutely loved the fifa 10 demo, in my opinion it is going to be a great game

pes2010 demo is also great aswell....played fifa 10 last night and loved it.....booted up the pes2010 demo straight afterwards and played it solidly for 3 hours...didn't get bored once, which more often with pes2009 i did after 30 mins or so....even the computer AI is pretty solid and reminds me of the ps2 in some respects...graphics are great, a couple of annoying glitches but hopefully these will be ironed out come full release...i for one will be getting both games on release date....this is how konami should have started their next gen series with pro evo.....wouldv'e saved alot of heartache

Back
Top Bottom