PES 2010 360/PS3 Demo Feedback

Has anyone scored a penalty yet?

What were they thinking changing to that camera angle?!

I thought I had a good angle but it went WAY wide :(

It's an interesting move changing to that camera, I've never really liked the standard penalty camera for some reason.

I hope its good, I just blazed a penalty 5 yards wide.

EDIT: Mario Gomez is a 69?!

Last edited:
First one question to all of you with expertise in Code Engineering:

Is it so complicated to take a ps2 code and trasnalte into the ps3?? if i were konami i would have used we9liveware as the basic code for my next gen footie game and then tried upgrade it.

Second: I think Konami is somehow getting confused. I am not sure this "listening to the fans" has been very helpful.
Basically you have three choices: go for a real sim game, go for a pick and play arcade game or try to hit the sweat point they had hit in the past: the famous "easy to play but difficult to master". A game that anyone can play and enjoy but has depth for those who want a more organic approach.

Now by listening to the european fans they took a fundamentally arcadish game made for the japanese market (pes2009) and try to force into a more sim based game. The result is something like "no man's land", it is neither of the two. By slowing down response time you get a sluggish arcade game, you don't get a fun simulation....

I played 3 or 4 games on this last night 1 on 1 multiplayer and the game got even worse

It was doing stuff we weren't even pressing!!! It didn't pass or shoot when we wanted and it just looked awful. Don't Konami make any realistic animations at all? I didn't see players bouncing off each other or falling over, it was just a stab tackle with X or a slide and the amounts of time we hit a shot and it did that weird little animation that makes a player look like hes powering up a shot but takes so long you can never get a shot away :LOL:

This came is so rigid its unreal, if it was a PS2 game i would maybe allow it but its a fucking next gen game!!!!

Just played a game against Spain, I gave my team a defensive mentality, I made Ballack a DM and he behaved like a DM. He didn't cross the halfway line once - awesome.

FIFA can learn from this.

After all the comments I read yesterday, I went home and downloaded the Ps3 ver of the game, I had already saw the screenshots of the game, but I was really impressed by the visuals, and its a demo, which its usually less sharp to keep the file small, the lighting, the shadows, the textures are amazing, the first game I played i just passed the game, went on replay and watched the player faces to see and try to believe that what I was seeing is true, cause they are nearly identical to life like players!

Gameplay

Again after all the negative comments I read, i taught that what i was going to play is one of the worst pes ever...... then when the game started i realized that, alot of players, not only on this forum, does not know what they are talking about, and I really doubt myself that they played all the prev pes games as they state, I am not pointing my fingers at anyone, i am just talking in general as a whole. I admit that both pes 08 and 09 where not good games (09 was not that bad, i still play it), especially 08.. and keeping in mind that this is not the final build of the game, I actually think this is the best Pro Evolution Soccer to date.

We all wish to have a football game exactly as we see on tv, but if the animations maybe are not exactly as human motion, i think that the actual game of football is spot on.

passes, perfect.. Shooting, incredible, you really feel the shot. Heading very good. A.I very good, try playing top player (the only thing is that I really would like to have the extra star difficulty as pes 6)

It really feels like a different game, and thats a Pes trademark, somtehing which was lacking in 08 and 09

the 360 movement its there and you can feel it. I realy think that the problem is that many wanted the moon from konami, and if they will not give us the moon, they gave us the best pes to date.

As we have.. pes gameplay and the best graphics ever in a footy game.

we have master leauge with europa leauge and champions leauge.

for me these last 2 are already huge...

now if you guys prefer the other game where yes it has a better collision system, and yes animations, just play the other game np with that its a free world, both games are good, for me fifa is still behind in terms of gameplay but thats a personal taste. as in pes everything seems like different, all goals have a unique feel, something that in fifa is lacking. apart from the graphical issues of fifa like shirts, player num and faces, etc

for me its a day one purchase and well wort the money...

as i think we have the best pes to date

Just scored a penalty. Piece of advice on pens, change the camera so you are facing the goal like FIFA and only move the analog stick slightly the way you want to shot.

Just beat Italy with Spain 2-1.

Played the demo on 360 for an hour or so.

Not much to say besides that I really find it difficult to understand how can anyone even slightly appreciate pes2010 after having seen or played fifa10. There's an abyss of quality between the two games. It's really beyond my comprehension.

What comforts me is that I've been through this road before. In every previous PS2 PES, every time a new one came out, initially it felt weird, and I tried to go back to the previous one. After a while, however, I just couldn't play the old one anymore, though.

Exactly what happened with every version I got on the PS2. Its just normal when getting accustomed to the newer version.

On some well known forum there seems to be only positive comments about the game. Maybe the ADM. is deleting/banning the neg ones...who knows...

Getting mixed feelings when it comes to this game. On the one hand it's not as fast as 2008 and 2009 and it gives me the feeling that some of the older PES games gave me when I first booted them up. The feeling that you need to to learn the game again, play and approach it differently than previous games in the serie. (I hope this makes any sense) For me this is a big plus, this will keep me going for at least a couple months until I have that feeling that I mastered the game and that will take more than time than 2008/2009 I guess.

On the other hand I dont like the changes Konami made when it comes to gameplay speed. Let me explain, the past couple years we've been complaining that the game was way too fast (it really was), but the button lag is not a good way to solve this problem. Cause of the lag the game feels slower making it more difficult to make quick passes and set up fast (counter) attacks. So the speed is good but not the way they created the gameplay speed.

I've been playing pes/we/iss/whatever for more than a decade now and I played all the psx and ps2 versions and enjoyed it. Last year was the first year I really was disappointed in the PES series (2008 was also bad) and I tried FIFA which entertained me for a couple months (cause of the online functions). This year FIFA feels too much like 2009 so im really hoping that PES wil fix the button lag, but too be honest I think that the demo is representative for what we will get in october. F*ck that xx.xx% build sh*t, we all know konami.

Fact remains that Konami really needs to built the game from the ground up for the next gen consoles. This engine is already outdated, and finetuning an engine that has some major issues wont work, most of the issues will still be there. So I hope that the day will come that Konami leaves this engine for what it is and starts from scratch.

Oh and btw one question guys: Where can I find the TYPE 4 Long Pass Mode, it used to be @ the controller settings screen, but I cant seem to find it.I hope they havent removed it, cause I like my manual crosses!

Played the demo on 360 for an hour or so.

Not much to say besides that I really find it difficult to understand how can anyone even slightly appreciate pes2010 after having seen or played fifa10. There's an abyss of quality between the two games. It's really beyond my comprehension.

Somehow I see plenty reviews sadly not agreeing with you. The difference is huge. I can’t believe the response times on PES10 demo. That for me was the one thing u never expected Seabass to fcuk up. Seems like such a chore moving and turning with players. It’s like they tied to chains as it’s so laboured and stiff. Doesn’t feel smooth at all. Both games have flaws but for me one game actually resembles and tries to simulate football and the actions of a footballer and the ball. The other game is just going through the motions just trying its best to be better than last year’s effort but not actually bringing anything new to the table.

I hope its good, I just blazed a penalty 5 yards wide.

EDIT: Mario Gomez is a 69?!

Looks like you've put Gomez in the lineup in place of Podolski, who plays in the 'SS' position. Seeing as Gomez' only position is 'CF', his rating drops considerably when played in a different position.
I like this idea; it used to piss me off when my friends would play the likes of Gerrard or Messi in the CF position. Maybe this'll put them off.

It really pains me to see the series in this state.

The demo is just an example of how awful gameplay has become. Players are so stiff and mechanical and the animation is pretty bad. Colission detection and physics are really laughable, there is no realism involved. A.I. in Top Player is unchanged. Players are pressing the whole time, up and down, like they are a super team on steroids. It is very easy to fool them since they present no real footballing challenge.

Sprinting can make a good player beat anyone all the time, rushing from one side of the pitch to the other. There is no build up play needed, just passes to the sides.

Sound effects are horrible.

So many thigns remain wrong for so many years. I loved the series for so many years but they are not on par with FIFA now. Especially FIFA 10 seems like it's a next gen game compared to this.

Dissapointed, once again.

Oh and btw one question guys: Where can I find the TYPE 4 Long Pass Mode, it used to be @ the controller settings screen, but I cant seem to find it.I hope they havent removed it, cause I like my manual crosses!

I was searching for it too but i think the crosses are set to manual by defult.
As well as the ATTACK/DEFENCE level (it was always auto now its manual by default).

after playing around 20 games of fifa and pes demos, i have to personally say fifa is gonna take it this year again...

PES still feels like 2008/2009 and i really hated them...the response time on 2010 is too slow, i tell the player to run back and 3 seconds later, he's still running forard and ran off the pitch...

also is it me or do the players have a problem controlling the ball, either they cant get the ball under control or its a heavy touch, i also see the "ping ball" thing is still in the game and the penalty system is also crap...

i've been a pro evo fan for many years (Pro evo 5 - best football game ever!), but i hate to admit it i bought fifa last year and looks like again i'd be happy to buy fifa again...sorry PES, 3 years running and you still could not just made pro evo 5 in HD to make us happy!

you've lost another PES fan

or maybe their are people who actually likes the game...who knows... its not a rule to hate the game

INdeed, but when u put a comment and then it magically disappear you do wonder what happened to it...

I am checking an italian forum too (pesol), well mood is the same as here. People are pretty frustrated, they expected something different honestly.

Looks like you've put Gomez in the lineup in place of Podolski, who plays in the 'SS' position. Seeing as Gomez' only position is 'CF', his rating drops considerably when played in a different position.
I like this idea; it used to piss me off when my friends would play the likes of Gerrard or Messi in the CF position. Maybe this'll put them off.

You do know Messi has played CF for Barcelona plenty of times as he done for Argentina as well. Messi playing as a CF should not see a reduction in his stats at all.

Last edited:
I was searching for it too but i think the crosses are set to manual by defult.
As well as the ATTACK/DEFENCE level (it was always auto now its manual by default).

Type 4 means that whenever I come near the box and press O to give a long pass it wont go in an instant just like passing the ball but you need to fill the bar. That doesnt happen my player just crosses instantly. A big let down if they removed the Type 4 settings

INdeed, but when u put a comment and then it magically disappear you do wonder what happened to it...

I am checking an italian forum too (pesol), well mood is the same as here. People are pretty frustrated, they expected something different honestly.

well if that's the case, then its a bad thing to delete msgs, i am sure that there are guys that like (like myself) and others which don't like the game, but everyone is entitled to their opinion unless bitching the game just for a net or a shirt for example.

personally i feel sorry for the guys who are not enjoying it, as I would really like them to as this is one hell of a game, the more i play the more i like as the old pes feel.

what i would like maybe in the future is to for example:

1) when an injured player is down, you put the ball in throw in and the opposition gives it back.

2) dirt, sweat etc shown on kits.

3) injuries that will make a player unavailable for months not 1 or 2 weeks.

4) when making a substitution, a player may be sort of pissed, and then it will reflect his performance on the next game, so you will have to be more carefull how to make subs.

Well, I played it last night.

First impressions are it's much better than last years, but that wasn't difficult. It still feels very arcade like compared to Fifa, which seems more simulation and real football. I know this will annoy a few people, but that's just my opinion - I realise others feel differently. The shooting is great, as they seem to have perfected how the ball moves and weight distribution involved. Passes still seem as though they are on rails. I'm presuming manual controls will rectify this. Graphics are great on PES, and make Fifa's look a bit wishy washy with just how clear and crisp they are. The sounds are hit and miss. The crowd chants can get very repetitive, but I did like the cheering, booing and Olay's when stringing passes together. The actual effects themselves are poor, though. The referee's whistle sounds like it's been taken from a football game in Coral Island circa 1992. Same noise every single time. Poor. The ball noises are a simple thud, like they always were. This can get a bit samey. When replays are being exited, or when you go into the menu's mid-game, you are greeted to a little tinny sound effect, which Fifa seems to neglect to a point - for the good, IMO. The reason being that those sort of effects are best left for arcade games. It doesn't detract from the football, but if it's annoyed me, then it has no reason to be there for my game. Fifa opts for music instead, and although they have also included clicks and swooshes, it's very toned down and barely noticeable. As I say though, it doesn't alter the gameplay at all, it's just the little things.

Animations aren't up to Fifa standards, either. The running stance is all very PES2009, something which a lot of folk wanted rectified. The rest of the animations at least seem better than last years, and as mentioned, the graphics are beautifully rendered and colourful.

Computer AI... well, this is the biggest problem I've encountered. So far, I've seen goalkeepers diving the wrong way, pouncing on the ball and letting it squirm away - one of which rolled passed the goal line, defenders simply watching my attackers run past them or running in circles, and players ignoring passes.

I'm positive a fair few of the problems will be rectified before final release, but to offer a demo of this quality is pretty shocking - especially given that no one quite expected it to be available this early in the month, anyway.

In fairness, I also need to re-aquaint myself with the buttons and commands. I was trying to do tricks and was getting confused with how it is on Fifa using the left shoulder button and right analogue. On that note, I know it certainly isn't to everyone's tastes or wishlists, but I'm a bit of a trick whore, in that the more skills included, the better. Always been a bit of a flair player myself, so all the ball juggling and flicks are a big positive for me.

Like I said, it's definitely better than last years, and given a fair run it will no doubt be a great game of football, especially against a mate.

However, after having a long session on it last night, I rebooted the 360 and played one game on the Fifa 10 demo and found it so refreshing. It does also have it's problems, and a mixture of the two games would create something very special indeed.

I'll certainly give PES10 more time again today, though, as it certainly deserves a bit of patience which I perhaps didn't have last night. I've been sticking by the side of PES since it's birth under ISS, and last year was the first time I haven't bought it and instead opted for Fifa. I just want a decent game of football that I can keep coming back to. It seems as though we may have to wait until PES2011 for that crown to be regained by Konami, unless they can fix a few of the wrongs in the next month or so. Here's hoping.

Last edited:
What dif seeting is that one Net?? why the 2 central defenders aren't closing down on Toni?? Well in real life he would be follow as soon as he tried to unmark himself.

Then for heaven's sake please VOTE:

I will.

But I don't really care. FIFA 10 is more than enough for a realistic experience.

PES players actually changing over to FIFA would be a much more substancial complaint towards the quite incopetent Seabass, who I am sure is aware of all the problems we mention but doesn't care to do anything about them.

Played the PES 2010 demo on "top player" for 2-3 hours. I guess loyal fans of the series are likely to be satisfied. If you were happy to buy PES2009, I guess this game should feel more than good enough. Even though I'm not a fan of the very high contrast graphic style, it certainly looks a lot better than previous versions.

I personally have totally got used to seeing the animations and having more control over where to pass the ball in FIFA. PES feels awkward to me these days and this demo does not change that. This demo also reminds me I should appreciate the goalkeepers and runs by AI teammates in FIFA a little more.

In contrast to many people here, I very much want PES to be faster and respond to button press immediately on all occasions even if it may be unrealistic, i.e. arcade-styled. If PES 2010 is a technically well done version of PES 2008, then I may well buy it alongside FIFA10. The fast paced, arcade-style football game segment of the market is not well served right now. :(

Back
Top Bottom