PES 2009 General Discussion Etc. (STRICTLY NO FIFA TALK OR POLITICAL CHAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: PES 2009 News, Discussion and Rumours

The "momentum", or however is it called made the difference for pes.

It's only, that your players behave in certain situations regarding their stats. Of course AI deceides, which pass will be wrong, but it's in real life too. Many factors influence a shot or pass and the world best players are also not in total control over themselves.

Come on guys, what do you want..

Seabass haven't mentioned the cheating / bending in the interview. He only mentioned 2 words : pace and momentum.. All other stuff is PS3M imagination.

In my opinion momentum is : players make worse passes, when they are tired or loosing and having bad mentality points, are able to make long range goals, because they are having the skills, like big defenders shooting good chances in the sky, stronger mentality players are able to perform better even if they are tired. Messi, Tevez has the ball stuck to their feet. Etc.. It all made the magic, which was in PES5, 6.

This magic was lost in PES 2008..

And I really think the PES 5,6 was the greatest computer games in my life.

My friend also recognised several times (he played a lot of world cups in pes 6), that after loosing the first match in the group stage, the second and third match was harder, with more chances wasted and so on.

I remember how nice and hard was to play against Inter, Dilan, Chelsea, when they were in front, and how nice was when you turned the score and was in front, while other team was attacking and you was able to perform a counter attack and finish them..

This was PES, hope the feeling will return..

It's only, that your players behave in certain situations regarding their stats. Of course AI deceides, which pass will be wrong, but it's in real life too. Many factors influence a shot or pass and the world best players are also not in total control over themselves.

Nonsense. That's no how the "momentum" works. The momentum is simply a script that sometimes activates and makes your players totally stupid or fierce warriors.

What happens is PES lacks control, because you don't decide power at all (only in a minimal way) and you can only choose 8 directions. Stats can't impact in a subtle way in such a limited system without bugging the gameplay.

So how do you explain that a real Terminator like Adriano with a red arrow in PES5 missing an empty net in the 5th minute of the first half, having pressed the right direction? There's no mentality / stamina / hidden stat that would reasonably explain that. And that happens again and again and again.

I can win my first 10 matches in ML, but in the 11th match, just because I'm the league leader my Barcelona all-star players turn into headless chicken against Murcia by no reason and can't even do a simple pass how I want? The explanation is that the CPU do what they want. Some people would like that randomness shifts in the gameplay, I feel they should be erradicated because it's you as a player who should make the difference, and stats should impact in players and teams in a more logical way, not just trying to create shifts in the result all the timebecause it's "exciting".

But please, don't call this script-triggered juicing of stats "magic". It's the thing I always hated in PES... still there...

Nonsense. That's no how the "momentum" works. The momentum is simply a script that sometimes activates and makes your players totally stupid or fierce warriors.

What happens is PES lacks control, because you don't decide power at all (only in a minimal way) and you can only choose 8 directions. Stats can't impact in a subtle way in such a limited system without bugging the gameplay.

So how do you explain that a real Terminator like Adriano with a red arrow in PES5 missing an empty net in the 5th minute of the first half, having pressed the right direction? There's no mentality / stamina / hidden stat that would reasonably explain that. And that happens again and again and again.

I can win my first 10 matches in ML, but in the 11th match, just because I'm the league leader my Barcelona all-star players turn into headless chicken against Murcia by no reason and can't even do a simple pass how I want? The explanation is that the CPU do what they want. Some people would like that randomness shifts in the gameplay, I feel they should be erradicated because it's you as a player who should make the difference, and stats should impact in players and teams in a more logical way, not just trying to create shifts in the result all the timebecause it's "exciting".

But please, don't call this script-triggered juicing of stats "magic". It's the thing I always hated in PES... still there...

Totally agree. There in no magic involved or players becoming tired which causes astray passes or defenders suddenly deciding to just wonder out of position for no reason.

Never really notice this myself.

Normally my passes go where I want, if I time it and make sure im facing the right way.

This is the PS2 version atleast.

*Edit* Actually now that I think, I guess this is why I feel like at times I am playing crap, even though I dont really think that I was playing that bad.

Last edited:

People trying to define the magic face a fruitless task.

You cannot describe it. It just is.

Also I got to the point where I could beat the computer even when it started cheating against me. Christ it probably kept me playing the games much longer than I otherwise would have.

It gave it a slightly different element, as if the government was colluding with Konami so as to stop my 30 game winning streak. Funnily enough in these types of games I always managed to get the winner in about the 10th minute of injury time.

If Riot's impressed with it then that's a good step. He has similar views to the future of PES as I so that's good to hear. What is odd is how split opinion is on the game, unfortunately I think the negatives will give enough fuel for the folk that think Konami should just curl up and die to repeat the same vitriol come October (eight 8 eighth thomas octo).

But yeah, I need to have it in my hands and I need to play it to the point where it clicks. Clicking is similar to the magic, you can't describe it but you know when it's happening, and when that happens then you basically know how to play the game.

It's weird to think that it's still a couple of months away.

Not sure I'd call Riot's response "impressed" - he basically stated what most have said in that PES2009 is what LAST year's game should have been and not much more.
For those that didn't listen to the whole piece, he also made a point of mentioning that the game continued Konami's trend toward arcade play and a more 'fun' approach with an emphasis on goal scoring. The interviewer stated that it couldn't be as bad as 2008 which oft resulted in sides notching 5 goals or more and Riot's response was that he won the 2nd game he played 4-0 against the CPU Real Madrid side on Pro level.

Not sure I'd call Riot's response "impressed" - he basically stated what most have said in that PES2009 is what LAST year's game should have been and not much more.

The problem here is that no matter how good the game would have been, people would have said this.

real mean only play on top player. :))

edit: actually real men only play on level 6. hehe ;))

Beating Real Madrid 4-0 on your second game doesn't sound good, I can't imagine there being a huge difference between Pro and Top Player.

I could probably win my first game 4:0 on PES2010, I am just that good.

Hearing that someone familiar with the game is good at it isn't news to me.

Why even bother playing it in single-player then?
Top Player should be a challenge for PES veterans, and Pro should also put up some resistance.
I've had enough of beating the CPU comfortably, it's about time they made an effort with the difficulty.

I think it gets to a point where the difficulty can only be improved by tweaking the variables, thus turning the opponents into super humans, which would not be fun.

At the end of the day, it has to be programmed in. We're very much an analogue input so we have pretty much every option available to us, Konami on the other hand have to try and build a tiny little PES chess master into the disc, which, unfortunately, can only do so much.

is it normal that there is only 16 boots slot for 17 boots? can we change their color? very strange

The problem here is that no matter how good the game would have been, people would have said this.

There are reports of people who thought the game was very good. So the situation you describe is already happening. The concept of "good" is obviously a subjective one. Even if the game had been heralded as the best video game ever, there would always be someone who thought it was crap. So your statement is true, but also a bit obvious.

However, looking at the good vs. bad impressions ratio, the game seemingly hasn't met expectations at this point. Judging from the responses on the forum for example (obviously the forum doesn't necessarily represent a good cross-section of the average videogaming community, so everyone in the world might like it, except for the people here who don't). Still, if you suppose that the most die-hard PES players visit places like these, it would at least be fair to say that the game hasn't met the expectations of many of the people who are the most invested in it. :)

Paolo said:
Between credibility and taste there's a really thin line.

You can say that they don't share your taste, as as such their reviews don't bear much weight to you. All fine, I have similar sites and magazines to whom I have that attitude towards.

Saying that they're not credible is a bit too much, in my opinion.

If Mumpleaser had reviewed the games, he'd probably have given the games similar scores - probably I would have, also.

Would that make us non-credible sources, or simply people with different tastes than yours?

Don't misuse more powerful words than necessary.

I'm off for the day. See you all tomorrow.

Best regards,

Paulo Tavares

The difference being a level of professionality and objectivity is required to be a professional reviewer. I seem to remember quite a few of the positive reviews disregarding important negative elements just to give the game a positive slant. Comment like "And now Konami have added the licenses of Newcaslte and Spurs". Ofcourse they disregarded that fact that Chelsea and Arsenal were removed.

badger said:
If Riot's impressed with it then that's a good step. He has similar views to the future of PES as I so that's good to hear.

What's that? That the game should remain the same the coming twenty years? ;)

Does anyone know if generic Adidas kits are available in Edit Mode? I still can't quite get over the fact that you can make a good Chelsea kit using the image import tool in PES2008 but you cannot choose an Adidas kit with 3-stripes down the arms and shorts EVEN THOUGH ADIDAS ARE LICENSED!! What is that all about? This has got to be sorted this time around.

I think there are a lot of people forgiving that the PES 2009 demo at Leipzig wasn't the latest version.

That means that everybody can have a different opinion and furthermore we have to add that almost everyone didn't play the latest version doing every people opinions even more different.... if you know what I mean.....

What's that? That the game should remain the same the coming twenty years? ;)

I think there's large amount of aspects that KONAMI can afford to keep the same for future editions of PES. Its a matter of getting the balance right, keeping the good things about PES and getting rid of the bad things, whilst adding features to make the game more realistic.(this is why KONAMI should interact more with its fans for ideas)
I know its been mentioned so many times by other people but with PES2008, KONAMI took too many good things away while adding so little. Not to mention the technical failures of it.(Bugs, Slowdown, Lag, Speed)

PES2009 is just a pleaser version(with below par animations) for fans who liked the old gen gameplay of PES and wanted it to be brought back.

But I'm personally happy enough with that until the next edition(which is expected to have a completely new game engine).

cheers

I totally agree with Zakov, indeed his words just remind me something Seabass said in an interview last year after the huge amount of critics he received.

He said that he definitely should back to the designing board to redesign completely the game but unfortunately that should be for PES 2010 because PES 2009 was already under development and the only thing they could try was to bring us a better PES 2009, more close to the old superb PS2 games and fixing as much bugs as they can.

It seems that's what they have done and of course that has all the sense specially having into account that a lot of people are saying this PES is what it should be last year's edition.

Last edited:

from IGN

Pro Evolution Soccer 2009
Publisher: Konami
Platform: PlayStation 3
Release Date: November 18, 2008
Release Region: United States

Release Date: September 30, 2008
Release Region: United Kingdom

Release Date: December 31, 2008
Release Region: Australia

World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009
Release Region: Japan

it's true ?

from IGN

Release Date: November 18, 2008
Release Region: United States

Release Region: United Kingdom

Release Date: December 31, 2008
Release Region: Australia

World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009
Release Region: Japan

it's true ?

If its true I'm very,very happy because they have time to fix bugs for example animations running players and another things.But KONAMI have to work very hard for time to release!

Well if them dates are true then UK release has been brought forward Shopto list it 17th October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom